tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, okay. I was originally Church of Christ, which is, of course, the One True Church.
So I know how that goes.
I know what you mean. When I was a child we attended a Christian Church Disciples of Christ denomination for a couple of years. When they started to really preach that they were the only ones going to heaven my Dad pulled us out of there quick.

I thought the Presbyterians were the true church

Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Can someone define what a legal denomination is? I have searched for a definition with no results.

I think a legal denomination would have monopoly over the use of the word, and could invoke legal action for misuse by splinter groups. I don't think I've seen one because of that one thing Paul said about using the court system to resolve disputes.

Reactions: Larry Smart
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,450.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I would contest the notion of church ages as an American view on history. America may be wealthy, but the vast number of Christians around the world are not. Some face terrible persecution, but Christianity still grows there.

I would also say the Great Awakenings and revival are too romanticized by churches. What was the outcome of these? One historian scholar has stated 8% of Americans claimed to be Christian in the early 1800s, just after the Great Awakening, yet today there is a greater % of people claiming they are Christians today than ever. I find the revivals and great awakening a symptom of the worldviews of that day, romanticism. It should surprise no one most of the false Christian religions started during this time. Today's Christians still tend to look at the romantic period as the best, but I find it the birth place of the Holy Spirit error that he speaks to people in ways Scripture doesn't speak of.

I believe that the churches encompass both time and geography. Getting rich from ministry was unknown to the church world until DL Moody and Ira Sankey made a boatload of cash from their crusades. And then DL Moody proceeded to buy a mansion from his ministry proceeds! I believe that this is the birth of the Laodicean church age. Today ministries are copy-writing ministry works and we have preachers who are getting very rich off of book sales. This has ended up with the Word of Faith, Charismatic, Christianity-lite, mega church. Which was before unknown to the church world.

Upvote 0

PeacefulWarrier

Sheepdog
Sep 16, 2008
USA
✟7,650.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why don't you lead us back to the topic? If it's closed we can't proclaim the gospel to the lost.

The purpose of this thread was to address one question: Are Baptists non-denominational?

I presented my question in the Congregation > Christian Communities > Baptists section of these forums. I am not Baptist, so I thought I would ask some Baptists. Did not realize this section of the forums would be utilized to minister to the lost -- assumed this section was for Believers. However, thank you for your challenge because it forces me to draw a conclusion based on what has been said here -- and brings me to a new question.

What I conclude is:

Casually, people may refer to Baptist as a denomination (words like 'cult', 'sect', and 'movement' are synonymous).
However, Baptist is not a denomination by a literal (or academic) definition. That is to say, Baptist is not a branch of the Christian Church -- but is the Christian Church.

Here's my next question: Can we conclude that all other branches of Christianity are denominations of Baptists?

I think the answer is: Yes.

(I'm not claiming facts here, people, I'm exploring this for myself.)

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Everything is everywhere.
Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The purpose of this thread was to address one question: Are Baptists non-denominational?

I presented my question in the Congregation > Christian Communities > Baptists section of these forums. I am not Baptist, so I thought I would ask some Baptists. Did not realize this section of the forums would be utilized to minister to the lost -- assumed this section was for Believers. However, thank you for your challenge because it forces me to draw a conclusion based on what has been said here -- and brings me to a new question.

What I conclude is:

Casually, people may refer to Baptist as a denomination (words like 'cult', 'sect', and 'movement' are synonymous).
However, Baptist is not a denomination by a literal (or academic) definition. That is to say, Baptist is not a branch of the Christian Church -- but is the Christian Church.

Here's my next question: Can we conclude that all other branches of Christianity are denominations of Baptists?

Hi, PeacefulWarrier!
I'd say that the universal church is God's "One True Church", lol. (I just had to write that.) So those of faith are the church. Because so many who love God have come to different interpretations of New Testament writings, there will be differing opinions on sacraments/ordinances, etc. Baptists are an expression of God's church. I'd go so far as to say Presbyterians are as well. I say that because I have them in my family and have been more deeply exposed to why they think the way they do. There are even Christians within Catholicism. Within any of these denominations there will be false converts who are not in God's church--they just join a building. Some denominations probably get more things wrong, leading to more false converts; some probably get more things right, leading to more true converts. Some denominations believe in straight up heretical teachings that undermine the gospel of God and aren't Christian at all.

So, I wouldn't say Baptists are the Christian Church, but an expression of it exemplified in those who are true converts.

Does that make sense? That's just my take on it. Some theologian might think I'm smoking something.

Upvote 0

tulipbee

Worker of the Hive
Apr 27, 2006
✟25,849.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

What I conclude is:

What is denomination?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PeacefulWarrier

Sheepdog
Sep 16, 2008
USA
✟7,650.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi, PeacefulWarrier!
I'd say that the universal church is God's "One True Church", lol. (I just had to write that.) So those of faith are the church. Because so many who love God have come to different interpretations of New Testament writings, there will be differing opinions on sacraments/ordinances, etc. Baptists are an expression of God's church. I'd go so far as to say Presbyterians are as well. I say that because I have them in my family and have been more deeply exposed to why they think the way they do. There are even Christians within Catholicism. Within any of these denominations there will be false converts who are not in God's church--they just join a building. Some denominations probably get more things wrong, leading to more false converts; some probably get more things right, leading to more true converts. Some denominations believe in straight up heretical teachings that undermine the gospel of God and aren't Christian at all.

So, I wouldn't say Baptists are the Christian Church, but an expression of it exemplified in those who are true converts.

Does that make sense? That's just my take on it. Some theologian might think I'm smoking something.

Thanks, for this response, Poor Beggar. Makes perfect sense -- and I agree.

Aren't those theologians usually the one's smoking something? (Dietrich Bonhoeffer, C.S. Lewis, Karl Barth, Paul Tillich, Reinhold Niebuhr, etc.) Isn't that where the Nicotine Creed originated? :liturgy:

Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks, for this response, Poor Beggar. Makes perfect sense -- and I agree.

Aren't those theologians usually the one's smoking something? (Dietrich Bonhoeffer, C.S. Lewis, Karl Barth, Paul Tillich, Reinhold Niebuhr, etc.) Isn't that where the Nicotine Creed originated? :liturgy:
Theologians don't know nothin. Nobody ain't never learned nothin from readin.

I take it you're in the military or law enforcement?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
To say Baptist are the Christians is false. No absolutely not. Lutherans are the Christians. We just hate baptism and being told how to believe. ;-)
And they also make awesomely satirical videos on Youtube apparently!

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Maybe if we say branch of Christianity, yes Baptist is a denomination. Wiki says a subgroup acting under a common name, structure, leadership and doctrine. So yes, Baptist is a denomination. It may be rather loose compared to Lutheran or RC, but it is. I would never go to a nondenominational church because they are typically seeker sensitive, charismatic and loose with the Holy Spirits role.

Upvote 0

zippy2

Jul 18, 2015
Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh, okay. I was originally Church of Christ, which is, of course, the One True Church.
So I know how that goes.

Hey Beggar,

I was raised Church of Christ also. Golf Course Road Church of Christ in Midland Tx. Ever heard of it?

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Hey Beggar,

I was raised Church of Christ also. Golf Course Road Church of Christ in Midland Tx. Ever heard of it?
I wasn't raised Church of Christ, just my first "real" church when I decided I was going to "get serious" about Jesus. No, haven't heard of it, but if we traded names for three minutes we'd probably cross paths, lol

Upvote 0