DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Many fundamental baptists will tell you it is not a denomination because some of them claim that the baptist church was established by Jesus and His disciples. This is known as Landmarkism and is not supported by any scholars outside of fundamentalist circles.

In reality it is a protestant denomination.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Everything is everywhere.
Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Many fundamental baptists will tell you it is not a denomination because some of them claim that the baptist church was established by Jesus and His disciples. This is known as Landmarkism and is not supported by any scholars outside of fundamentalist circles. In reality it is a protestant denomination.
Oh, okay. I was originally Church of Christ, which is, of course, the One True Church.
So I know how that goes.

Upvote 0

DawnStar

Pragmatist
Nov 27, 2014
✟37,814.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Oh, okay. I was originally Church of Christ, which is, of course, the One True Church.
So I know how that goes.

I know what you mean. When I was a child we attended a Christian Church Disciples of Christ denomination for a couple of years. When they started to really preach that they were the only ones going to heaven my Dad pulled us out of there quick.

Reactions: Poor Beggar
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
...is it?
What do think Baptist is if it isn't a denomination?

Though Baptists are a very contentious bunch that disagree on many things, being independent of any church hierarchy, there are some things that all true Baptists agree on. They are called the Baptist distinctives. You can read them in the sticky at the top of the Baptist page.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've been in a baptist church as long as i can remember, which might be around 5 years old. I used to think the Baptist church was the only correct church. But i was immature back then and drinking the koolaid. I still go to a Baptist church, but i have adopted a more Lutheran mindset. This makes for a challenge when speaking up in groups.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Though Baptists are a very contentious bunch that disagree on many things
That's one of our distinctives, haha!
I was looking at a discussion today about the differences between Presbyterians and the SBC and everyone listed the formal theological differences, but no one pointed out that SBs tend to see as a sign of sanctification the willingness to speak forthrightly about how things are and leave it up to the other person to control their own emotional reaction--just like Elijah, John the Baptist, and Jesus.
If you hang out with Presbyterians (my FiL is an "elder"), they see reserved speech as a sign of sanctification. They go out of their way not to offend anyone, which me feel uncomfortable around them ironically.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've been in a baptist church as long as i can remember, which might be around 5 years old. I used to think the Baptist church was the only correct church. But i was immature back then and drinking the koolaid. I still go to a Baptist church, but i have adopted a more Lutheran mindset. This makes for a challenge when speaking up in groups.
That must get interesting when actual baptism is being discussed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Don't worry we'll fix you. Wink.

Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
That's one of our distinctives, haha!
I was looking at a discussion today about the differences between Presbyterians and the SBC and everyone listed the formal theological differences, but no one pointed out that SBs tend to see as a sign of sanctification the willingness to speak forthrightly about how things are and leave it up to the other person to control their own emotional reaction--just like Elijah, John the Baptist, and Jesus.
If you hang out with Presbyterians (my FiL is an "elder"), they see reserved speech as a sign of sanctification. They go out of their way not to offend anyone, which me feel uncomfortable around them ironically.
That is part of why they are called the frozen chosen. But it is also the case in many Reformed Baptist churches. The Reformed view of sanctification is flawed, to say the least. They make the law a rule of life for the believer as evidenced by both the Westminster and 1689 confessions.

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to share what the SBC says about being a denomination. "Southern Baptists are a 'Denomination' only in the word's most general meaning -- a general name for a category of similar things. Churches that practice believers baptism by immersion have been 'denominated' by others and by themselves for many centuries. When the SBC was formed in 1845, it used the term in this general way (See the preamble to the SBC Constitution). By doctrine and polity, the SBC cannot and does not unite local congregations into a single legal denominational body.

I suppose the SBC is a denomination "in the words most general meaning", but not "a single legal denominational body".

Can someone define what a legal denomination is? I have searched for a definition with no results.

Upvote 0

SinnerInTheHands

Troubled Christian
Jul 17, 2015
USA
✟17,755.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite infographics, shared by a foot-washing Baptist friend:

baptist-history-chart.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I've spent extensive time at a baptist church in the past as a member, I don't recall it being a denomination being a matter of debate.. and we debated just about everything . thank you for asking a unique question.

Upvote 0

mikedsjr

Master Newbie
Aug 7, 2014
Fort Worth,Tx
✟17,192.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That must get interesting when actual baptism is being discussed.
There are enough differences for me to avoid that minefield., but baptism is quite honestly a minor issue in the scope of thing. The way preachers preach gets me in a lot of hot water. At least at my old church. I used to Facebook how many minutes went by before the first verse, or a portion of a verse, was read. Lutherans approach preaching in a Law/Gospel manner. Most baptist preachers use a bad law/good law sermon, like don't hate(bad law), show love(good law) and then never put the focus on Christ died for your hate and lack of love. It's guilt of hate with guilt of I can't honestly love on top. I've thought about starting a "rate the sermon" thread then add baptist sermons(good ones and bad ones) and see people's differences. My brother went to a large southern baptist church this Memorial Day and their sermon was about national pride and the songs were patriotic. He was disgusted.

Upvote 0

Poor Beggar

Aug 21, 2015
Arizona
✟9,600.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
There are enough differences for me to avoid that minefield., but baptism is quite honestly a minor issue in the scope of thing. The way preachers preach gets me in a lot of hot water. At least at my old church. I used to Facebook how many minutes went by before the first verse, or a portion of a verse, was read. Lutherans approach preaching in a Law/Gospel manner. Most baptist preachers use a bad law/good law sermon, like don't hate(bad law), show love(good law) and then never put the focus on Christ died for your hate and lack of love. It's guilt of hate with guilt of I can't honestly love on top. I've thought about starting a "rate the sermon" thread then add baptist sermons(good ones and bad ones) and see people's differences. My brother went to a large southern baptist church this Memorial Day and their sermon was about national pride and the songs were patriotic. He was disgusted.
Yes, keep it at the Cross. I say start the thread!

Upvote 0

Larry Smart

Aug 7, 2015
✟7,808.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes, keep it at the Cross. I say start the thread!

In talking about sermons, I spoke to a pastor who recently move to the North Dallas area. While moving, he found a suspicious shoebox and asked his wife what was in the box. His wife would only say that it is personal and he cannot look inside the box. As luck would have it, the pastor's wife left the house.

The pastor could not deal with the fact that he was not permitted to look in the box. While the wife was away, the pastor found the box and looked inside the box. It contained 4 eggs and a good sum of cash. He heard his wife arriving home and quickly returned the box from where he found it.

Soon, The husband admitted what he had done and asked his wife why keep eggs in the box. The wife said every time he preaches a bad sermon, she puts an egg in the box. The pastor didn't feel that was so bad with just four eggs. He then asked her about all the cash in the box. The wife explained that when she gets a dozen eggs she sales them.

Upvote 0