BAN CONSOL EXCLUSIVE TITLES?

Stop "Exclusive to Consol Brand -X-" software deals?

• Yeah man, preach it and save us all from the evil money horders and fat cats

• Shut up dude and get a life. Go with the system and don't rock the boat.

Results are only viewable after voting.

CHR15T05

Christian Fundamentalist
Nov 15, 2003
✟15,602.00
Faith
Christian
Every now and then a MAJOR ground breaking title is released on the waiting public. Every so often, such a title ONLY comes out "exclusivley" on 1 platform, be it Xbox, PS2, Gamecube or other.

Very seldom is this for any technical reason.

Sometimes (for budget developing houses) it may be due to financial contraints.

USUALY the choice is made for no other reason than an industry marketing deal. ie, Consol Maker "A" pays a huge amount of money to Software publisher "B" to give exclusive platform rights to Consol "A".

So even though Publisher "B" has a ground breaking game what could be ported to all consols, it makes a financial and takes the easy money (well who wouldn't?)

But for the consumer this means will have to either:
a) Miss out on that block busting game
b) Buy the other consol just for that 1 game.

My proposal (not that the industry would ever listen) is BAN such unsider dealing. Perhaps under the Monopoly act or simular?

Imagaine if your favorite band release thier latest and best ever album, but the CD could only be played on "Brand-X-" CD players?

This is the same principle....

So vote:

SAPguy

Mad cow
Jun 24, 2003
Bay Area, Cali
✟5,805.00
Faith
Christian
Normally the exclusive titles by 3rd party developers do indeed show up on the other systems at some point a year or two down the road. Patience is a virtue. Typically, once they are re-released, they have added missions, players, upgraded graphics, etc etc, so the game is actually a little bit better.

As for 1st and 2nd party developers, those games will be exclusive simply because the development house is owned by whatever platform it be. These will be exclusives and there isn't really anything to do about it. For example, Metroid on the Cube will stay there because Nintendo developed it. This is obvious and I realize it isn't what you are talking about. My mind is just wandering.

This is good business on the part of the console makers as far as I'm concerned. It assures them exposure for their console when they land a killer app. It's sort of like a professional football team paying a quarterback multiple millions of dollars so that it not only makes their team better, but also catches the interest of their fans because it is a big name. Eventually the contract runs out and there is the possibility of the QB going elsewhere.

It is nothing like an artist putting out a cd that could only be played on one player because artists are out to make as much money as they can. They want it available on everything. The same goes for development houses, but if a console maker can pay them enough to be an exclusive title, that offsets what they lose in profits by not releasing for other systems. They end up making the same amount of money and some time down the road, they could very well release the game or a slightly different version of it on anothr console. It's all about the almighty dollar. If the developers can get what they want, they are happy. If the console makers can get people stoked on their system, they sell more, make more money and they are happy.

I don't really care if they banned it or not and I really don't ever see it happening. All the little 3rd party developers get gobbled up by the bigger guys anyways and become in house development studios, so there are fewer and fewer 3rd parties developing games anymore.

Upvote 0

Macewindu77815

I'm trying real hard to be the shepard.
Jan 5, 2004
Taxachusetts
✟9,883.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ummm do you see nintendo making Zelda for X-Box....thats why this will never happen...if the same games were on all the systems everybody would buy an X-Box because the graphics are better....without exclusives there is no competition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AcousticHxC

Nov 28, 2003
Killa Cali Westside
✟7,713.00
Faith
Non-Denom
thats obviously never gonna happen, since money is basically all they care about. but of course i wish they were all on the same console. as long as it has the PS2 controller lol. i honestly dont care about "amazing graphics" or bits or speed or whatever, i just want a good game. and it makes me mad when games like midtown madness 2 and shenmue 2 are only released on xbox. however one console would create a monopoly, and would sell for like $500+ (easily).

Upvote 0

Felron

Jan 8, 2004
Victoria, British Columbia
✟820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@dark lite: but the psp is coming out, and with people who dont want to edit games for content this will be perfect for them, so you can expect ff's on the psp, dragon warrior games, LUNAR, ect.

nintendo is probobly going to be software only, and with the lack of anything on the gameboys you can see where that will be going, i mean even the ngage is also a mp3 player and a phone, the psp will be a mp3player, will play mpegs or somthing like that.

if nintendo wants to stay alive they will have to do some radical thinking.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Why do some people think that nintendo is failing or something?

I was told that the N64, as terrible of a system that was, made money. Basicly, nintendos systems and games are simple, creating a low overhead on costs, allowing them to have lower price tags.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Felron

Jan 8, 2004
✟820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

nintendo is failing, there loosing more and more money, and the chance of them going software exculsive is becoming more and more of a possibility every year.

Upvote 0

Tier

Jan 2, 2004
✟9,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Felron said:
nintendo is failing, there loosing more and more money, and the chance of them going software exculsive is becoming more and more of a possibility every year.

This kind of stuff is just false. Nintendo did lose money between April and September of last year, however they are reaching all sales projections for the GameCube, and are expected to release a third system at E3 this year. It will not replace either Gcube or Game boy advance, but will coexist with both of them.

No one minds sharing the console market with Nintendo because they created the market, and are not going away anytime soon.

Upvote 0

Felron

Jan 8, 2004
✟820.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
actually its very true, although the begining of this year its gotten better, its starting to droop again, wow another system....already!

well they dont mind sharing it with nintendo because there is not much competition, NGC is oldschool xbox/ps2 is new, its not because they created the market, its a different marketing stratigie.

Upvote 0

CHR15T05

Christian Fundamentalist
Nov 15, 2003
✟15,602.00
Faith
Christian
SUNSTONE said:

I was told that the N64, as terrible of a system that was, made money. Basicly, nintendos systems and games are simple, creating a low overhead on costs, allowing them to have lower price tags.

The N64 a terrible system? eh? Didn't Golden Eye change all our lives? Didn't the N64 bless us with 0 loading times?

n64 rocked man. A timeless classic :)

Upvote 0