redwngsfan019

May 30, 2010
Fredericksburg Virginia
✟8,056.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Not sure if this is the right section to post this in but I need some adivce or something. I usually LOVE going to church on Sunday, Wednesday and for any event but lately I haven't had the urge to go at all. Every Saturday night I say I'm gonna go but when my alarm wakes me up on Sunday morning I could care less I would rather sleep for 2 more hours. I've missed almost every Sunday recently but I still go every Wednesday night because I help my pastors daughter teacher 2nd to 6th graders. I kind of want to switch churches because ever sense I started missing church no one really talks to me and when I was going all the time everyone would talk to me, it feels really crappy and when they do its only about me missing church and sort of rude / smart comments about it that make me mad. Also I want to go to a church where people my age hang out outside of church, at my church no one but the girls do and it blows =/. I tried getting out of the Wednesday night thing because I feel bad and I think I shouldn't be in there but my pastors daughter insisted I do but I really don't want to and don't know how to tell her. I also don't know how to tell my pastor and my friends I'm thinking about switching. Other then missing church lately I have been backsliding the past few months because I started listening to the music I use to like heavy metal / rap. I started smoking hookah back in October and I do it multiple times a week and I have started using bad language again which I really hate but it slips out =(.

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
You said it yourself. You are backsliding - knowingly. Your choice is to get back into church, or to let your feelings rule you.

Feelings lie to you. I had surgery last year, and missed about 7 weeks of church. It took four weeks after that to get up on Sunday morning and actually want to go to church. (and I'm a pastor.) But if you act on what you know is right, your feelings WILL catch up with you.

Finding another church is, I feel, an excuse for bailing out. After all, what does it matter which church you stay home from? If you cannot be loyal to one church, what makes you think you will be any different at a different church?

The world has a hold of you. You're smoking pot in that hooka, I assume? You know drugs are not what God has for you.

My primary question is this. What are you hiding from?

The weeks of missed church; not wanting to help where before you did so willingly; and the escapism of drugs - it sounds like you are trying to run away from God. Is there possibly a calling on your life that you are afraid of, or unwilling to try?

Upvote 0

redwngsfan019

May 30, 2010
Fredericksburg Virginia
✟8,056.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree switching churches wont help me get faithful to church again but I just can't stand the way people have been acting twords me lately. And I promise I'm not smoking weed or doing any drugs it's flavored tabacco. I want to to talk to my pastor n friends at church about this but I'm afraid of their reaction.

Upvote 0

*Charis*

*Psalm 36:9*
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
✟33,182.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Constitution
Is it possible you're beginning to place your faith in 'works' (church attendance,
helping the pastor's daughter, etc). Burnout usually comes when our faith shifts
from being in Jesus' atonement alone to religious 'works'.

God's love for you never changes. Find some time to talk to Him about this, He's
waiting... with answers. He's also waiting with power to do what the flesh is not
capable of doing. He works in us BOTH to will and do of His good pleasure. When
we rest in this fact... we begin to truly know God.

Upvote 0

stormdancer0

Do not be so open-minded that your brain falls out
Apr 19, 2008
USA
✟14,334.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
If you are smoking tobacco (non-mind altering), then it's no worse than cigarettes. Pick one person that you can trust, and talk to them. It doesn't matter whether it's the pastor or not. I would possibly talk to the pastor, and if he is judgmental, switch churches. But make sure he's really judgmental, and it's not just your perception.

Also keep in mind, it is his job to point out when you are not behaving Christ-like. This is not "being judgmental" of you, but of your actions or attitude - which we ARE commanded to do. We are supposed to keep each other on the right path.

An example: Telling you "What you are doing/saying is wrong or a sin" is not judging you, but judging your actions. Saying something like, "You are going to hell. You are a bad person." is judging you.

Plus, you haven't been there in weeks. Perhaps they are worried that you are not dependable. The church is full of fallible, weak people. They make mistakes, and do not treat people right 100% of the time. Give them a few weeks of consistent attendance, and see if things don't clear up.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
As I was reading this, this reminded me of a situation that I was in. I was carrying some measure of defilement from the things I had observed. When we walk in the world, we must be careful not to become defiled with the things that are in the world. Many things in the world of media are tainted and are born from those who are totally alienated from the life of God. The fruits of their corrupt tree are not meant to be partaken of. Demonic spirits spread filth on us and in the spirit realm, it can be quite unseemly. We can't see or smell it, but it is there nonetheless.

I want to list a "few" scriptures that speak of the "savour" we carry. We are supposed to be drawn from the world, and bearing the sweet savour of a living sacrifice. It is the savour that Jesus inhabits and it is that savour that draws men to the kingdom (or away depending on their heart condition). I present these with no sense of condemnation, but even though we present ourselves to God after partaking of some defiling worldly things, and He forgives us as we repent, their is a residue left behind that must be dealt with. After it is (although we don't walk by feelings), we have "weights" lifted from us (really spirits) and to be clean is a freeing thing. These weights keep us from being able to go to church and do the things that we are called to. Our spirit is willing, but...

Just consider these scriptures and pick up on the "savour" and let the Holy Spirit minister the Word to you in a way that does not condemn you, but rather draws you in to liberty and the sweet savour of God and His burden that is light.

I will accept you with your sweet savour, when I bring you out from the people, and gather you out of the countries wherein ye have been scattered; and I will be sanctified in you before the heathen.
Ezek 20:41 (KJV).

Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.
Eph 5:1-2 (KJV)

But I have all, and abound: I am full, having received of Epaphroditus the things which were sent from you, an odour of a sweet smell, a sacrifice acceptable, wellpleasing to God.
Phil 4:18 (KJV)

We are as a savour in the sight of God as we yield our lives to Him.

Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge by us in every place. For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish: To the one we are the savour of death unto death; and to the other the savour of life unto life. And who is sufficient for these things?
2 Cor 2:14-16 (KJV)

So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple. Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be seasoned?
Luke 14:33-34 (KJV)

No condemnation given by me here, but the key word here is defilement. We're supposed to be going around as chaste virgins, in the robes of righteousnes (wedding garments).

And there shall ye remember your ways, and all your doings, wherein ye have been defiled; and ye shall lothe yourselves in your own sight for all your evils that ye have committed.
Ezek 20:43 (KJV)

The key word here is "pollution", which we all doubtlessly find ourselves in, but as overcomers we should endeavor to cooperate with the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit.

Because they despised my judgments, and walked not in my statutes, but polluted my sabbaths: for their heart went after their idols.
Ezek 20:16 (KJV)

The sabbath is where we cease from our own works and enter into His, by faith.

The fruits begin to manifest in other areas of our lives. I remember the Lord once said that the enemy only inhabits areas of our lives that are not completely sanctified.

Other then missing church lately I have been backsliding the past few months because I started listening to the music I use to like heavy metal / rap. I started smoking hookah back in October and I do it multiple times a week and I have started using bad language again which I really hate but it slips out
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be. Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter? Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.
James 3:10-12 (KJV)

Our fruits become "woeful" and it is no longer the abundant life the Lord desires for us.

Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
Isaiah 5:20 (KJV)

It's important to guard the "gates" of our "city". What we watch on TV, movies, etc., in addition to music we let in our ear gates, words we repeat from our mouth gate, etc. can "loose" the enemy into the city that is our being.

The light of the body is the eye: therefore when thine eye is single, thy whole body also is full of light; but when thine eye is evil, thy body also is full of darkness. Take heed therefore that the light which is in thee be not darkness. If thy whole body therefore be full of light, having no part dark, the whole shall be full of light, as when the bright shining of a candle doth give thee light.
Luke 11:34-36 (KJV)

They that observe lying vanities forsake their own mercy.
Jonah 2:8 (KJV)

Let not mercy and truth forsake thee: bind them about thy neck; write them upon the table of thine heart:
Prov 3:3 (KJV)

What other Christians (and even worldly people) perceive is often what we're toting around. We can pick up filth. Through no fault of others, we can be in need of a good cleanup and others keep us at length, though they mean well.

The choice is ours. When we repent, as far as kingdom realities are concerned, renounce behaviors out loud and use the name of Jesus and speak against the offending behaviors (sword against the enemy). May your vengeance upon your enemies be sweet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alatir

Aug 1, 2007
✟15,712.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think you are manifesting the fact that we need real fellowship to advance spiritually.

Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.
(Pro 13:20)

We need friends, for God's sake! Saying just "Hello, how's it going?" to someone in the church at Sunday won't do. So I think in you're on the right track, in a way. You just need to find a friends in Christ. I sympathize with you in that.

Upvote 0

jack999

Jan 12, 2012
✟15,112.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
As a relatively new member who just got through this whole thread, I just wanted to say "Thank you" for all your contributions. These posts relate to me in a strange way. I'm a Christian, but not a strong one. I always knew I was relatively "weak," but was never willing to acknowledge it outright. I've been struggling with my own personal demons, and like the OP, am facing issues of not wanting to go to church. I guess it doesn't help I just don't have any time to go to any events beyond Sunday church services. But I am still thankful I have a good, strong church to visit each Sunday.

Again, thank you everyone. I've been doing a QT for the past hour and finding my refuge and strength in the Word. For what it's worth, I'm going to make sure I make it to church on time this Sunday, NO EXCEPTIONS.

Upvote 0

Alive_Again

Resident Alien
Sep 16, 2010
✟12,991.00
Faith
Word of Faith
The Lord once said that when you read the Word out loud, it makes demons tremble. It also "looses" the kingdom as you give witness to your own being, the environment around you, and the cloud of witnesses beholding us, of, and to our higher reality. We behold our natural face as in a glass (in the Word) and we take it up as one holding a mighty sword and a bright torch in a world full of enemies and gross darkness.

The Word talks about us not being ashamed of the Lord's Words in this evil world. I believe the fruits have born out that when you identify with the Lord and His kingdom (out loud), even when you're alone, you align yourself with all of the power and resources of Heaven, just waiting to go forward into the mystery of His will, our everyday, seemingly ordinary lives. He will confess our name before His holy angels (as we confess Him with our words and deeds) and the influence of their work can hardly be measured. The light of His love in this decaying world changes lives and even small acts of kindness done purposefully in love registers on the spirits of those around us.

Let's all take our walks seriously (awaking our sometimes slumbering spirits) and make even our mundane tasks outside of "church" (we are the church) more devotional.

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Not sure if this is the right section to post this in but I need some adivce or something. I usually LOVE going to church on Sunday, Wednesday and for any event but lately I haven't had the urge to go at all. Every Saturday night I say I'm gonna go but when my alarm wakes me up on Sunday morning I could care less I would rather sleep for 2 more hours. I've missed almost every Sunday recently but I still go every Wednesday night because I help my pastors daughter teacher 2nd to 6th graders. I kind of want to switch churches because ever sense I started missing church no one really talks to me and when I was going all the time everyone would talk to me, it feels really crappy and when they do its only about me missing church and sort of rude / smart comments about it that make me mad. Also I want to go to a church where people my age hang out outside of church, at my church no one but the girls do and it blows =/. I tried getting out of the Wednesday night thing because I feel bad and I think I shouldn't be in there but my pastors daughter insisted I do but I really don't want to and don't know how to tell her. I also don't know how to tell my pastor and my friends I'm thinking about switching. Other then missing church lately I have been backsliding the past few months because I started listening to the music I use to like heavy metal / rap. I started smoking hookah back in October and I do it multiple times a week and I have started using bad language again which I really hate but it slips out =(.

Do you feel like you are backsliding only on going to Church or in your entire walk with Christ in general? I couldn't tell from the post

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums