Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I got pressure to hurry up and get married at my old church. I think it was probably because unlike others of my age group I hadn't gotten married, gotten divorced, and then returned chastened and penitent like I was expected to. But I've always followed my own off time drummer. :D

Upvote 0

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Blind post.

I do, from every corner it seems. I am about 85% sure though that I do not want kids anymore, which scares me. I have always wanted kids but working with them for so long... I am getting burned out. And to be completely blunt, I do not like children...well, children that are not related to me. (a nanny who doesn't like children? I know...:doh:) Maybe it will pass, maybe it won't. When I told my parents that I am pretty sure I do not want kids they were extremely surprised and looked kind of disappointed even though they tried to hide it. Which is what I expected. My dad has always stated that he expects at least two kids from each of us. With my sister having eight kids, and my oldest brother having 3... and I still have another brother who is married so they might want kids soonish, I am okay with just being the crazy spinster aunt with an awesome dog that mumbles to herself and talks about the good old days when gas was only $3.67. So whenever someone does get on my case about being single, no children etc. etc. I will just interrupt them mid sentence with "Are you implying that I'm gay?" Maybe that will hush them up. Which to be clear, I'm not. Me like men. Me Gusta.

Reactions: Thunder Peel
Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Do you ever feel pressured by church culture to just get married and pop out Christian babies already?

Especially all those older women who look at you with pity as if there is something wrong with your spiritual path because you're single?

I think a lot of is is self-imposed pressure. We all have a mental timeline in which we'd like to see stuff happen by such and such an age. Factoring in random comments from people, such as: your grandma, your best friend, your boss, that cashier at the grocery store... and you've got a recipe for "Oh crap! My life is not going as planned!" Honestly, I think a lot of people just mean well and don't really know how to phrase things. I mean, some are hosers, but a lot of people just want to see us happy and so they ask how things are going in the relationship department (or baby department if you're married). It happens. And it's natural. I would be worried if people just suddenly gave up to be honest.. because it's not like I don't want what they're envisioning.

I've already given birth, so I've proven I can handle the task. So now, I get questions as to if I want any more and how many, etc etc.. I don't have any problems answering them because I don't take offense. I know how old I am and how much "time" I have left. I know if it is in God's will, my son will have a sibling or two or three or whatever. Or maybe none and that will be okay too because it's God's will.

Upvote 0

Aino

God's own
May 16, 2009
Finland
✟37,132.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank goodness no. Actually for me it's gone the other way - people keep on telling me not to get married quite yet and I've had people make hints to me about the way babies will make my budget go down the drain and how horrible it is to wake up like a gazillion times every night so no, no pressure at all.. :p We'll see, I hope that's not another way of saying they dislike my boyfriend LOL. xD

Upvote 0

Miss Spaulding

Virtus semper viridis
Jan 6, 2005
The Tropics
✟109,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Do you ever feel pressured by church culture to just get married and pop out Christian babies already?

Especially all those older women who look at you with pity as if there is something wrong with your spiritual path because you're single?
No. Never felt pressured. And if I did, I'd let them know that I felt the unnecessary pressure from them and don't appreciate it.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0

SullivanZ

Seeking His Face
Mar 6, 2011
✟16,142.00
Faith
Christian

Nope.

Being single is the best thing ever. I love it.

True bliss is found in living the single life. Yahoo.

Upvote 0

Verve

No grit, no pearl.
Apr 12, 2011
✟24,640.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't see a problem with not having a college education.

What I truly hate are all the chicks going to Christian colleges for an MRS degree ^_^

I don't have a problem with it, that's just one of the reasons that I believe I haven't found someone and "settled down" yet. I'm not trying to pretend I'm better than them for that, it's just my only real defense against them.

On the MRS degree, ever watch Mona Lisa Smile?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No. I'm a guy. Baby bopping is more of a girl thing.

Older women look at me, but not in that way, the other way.

Upvote 0
R

RayofSun

Despite the fact that most people my age in my town have children, the pressure only started this year. The older people in my town and church have a tendency to give people the "childless stare of disappointment", but they haven't really started on me.

I only notice an audible ticking of my biological clock when I meet people my own age. They come up to say hi and of course bring over their two children and hubby. I mean I have no problem, and it's sweet to see them happy... until they start looking down at me. My own peers are the ones who are giving me the looks and occasionally will ask if I've "started a family yet?" Like seriously?! I'm 22, what do I look like Betty Crocker?!:p

Upvote 0

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I was never directly pressured at my former church, but it was quite clear that I was a lesser Christian (and woman) for not being married with children. I left that church (and that denomination), though, so I shouldn't have to deal with that nonsense again. I haven't experienced anything like that at the denominations that I currently prefer to attend.

I don't have any significant self-pressure. I mean, I'd like to have a child, but I'm realistic. I'm almost 33 years old and single with no prospects, so I may not have any kids and I'm okay with that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Guys, I can take the cake on this one.

I'm Catholic. Catholicism is all about babies. The purpose of marriage is the procreation and education of children. Love and affection is secondary. And Catholicism condemns the use of artificial birth control, so Catholic families who follow that teaching are usually huge. Off the top of my head, I know families with 12-15 kids. Yep.

The best part? I'm sterile. I can't have kids.

I'm perfectly fine with that, though. I don't actually want to have children. I accept my biological situation and I am content.

However, that isn't enough for Catholics - apparently to be a real Catholic, I need to adopt or foster children. **NOTE: Catholicism does NOT teach that sterile or infertile couples must adopt or foster. They are welcome to marry and grow in holiness with their spouses. However, I have been told in OBOB that my heart is closed to God and that I am not "open to life" (a very grave sin in Catholicism) because I am content with my biological reality. That hurt me very, very badly. The implication was that I must be hellbound because I do not want children. All because my reproductive system doesn't work.

I think I win this thread. Not that there is a competition or anything.

In short, yes, I am severely pressured to have children - all the time. And I am viewed as a second-rate citizen by other Christians (Catholic and protestant alike) because I cannot have them.

I try not to let it hurt me, but sometimes it is difficult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single

I'm Catholic. Catholicism is all about babies. The purpose of marriage is the procreation and education of children. Love and affection is secondary. And Catholicism condemns the use of artificial birth control, so Catholic families who follow that teaching are usually huge. Off the top of my head, I know families with 12-15 kids. Yep.

I'm perfectly fine with that, though. I don't actually want to have children. I accept my biological situation and I am content.

However, that isn't enough for Catholics - apparently to be a real Catholic, I need to adopt or foster children. **NOTE: Catholicism does NOT teach that sterile or infertile couples must adopt or foster. They are welcome to marry and grow in holiness with their spouses. However, I have been told in OBOB that my heart is closed to God and that I am not "open to life" (a very grave sin in Catholicism) because I am content with my biological reality. That hurt me very, very badly. The implication was that I must be hellbound because I do not want children. All because my reproductive system doesn't work.

In short, yes, I am severely pressured to have children - all the time. And I am viewed as a second-rate citizen by other Christians (Catholic and protestant alike) because I cannot have them.

:hug: oh that's terrible.

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

Has anyone ever told you that your faith must be lacking because you "assume" you're sterile or don't have enough faith that God can overcome your sterility? I'm just curious. I wouldn't put it past the people who've said what you've already reported to us. I can't even imagine how hurtful that must be though. In your own congregation, no less. You know what you can take with you... you are a woman of God called to your own path and testimony. Nobody holds anything over you and the person with the last word is the Lord. You aren't 2nd rate anything. You are a daughter of the Most High. And if anyone has a problem with that, they can talk to your Father.

Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone ever told you that your faith must be lacking because you "assume" you're sterile or don't have enough faith that God can overcome your sterility? I'm just curious. I wouldn't put it past the people who've said what you've already reported to us.

I have received lots of comments like, "Look what God did for Abraham and Sarah!" and "God is the opener and closer of wombs." And I have definitely been told to pray for babies. One couple told me that their neighbours prayed to God every day for a child, and they got pregnant 9 years later after consistently trying to conceive. (I'd say that is a blessing indeed.) But for me, it isn't that simple.

I can be rather blunt, so I have said things like, "I guess God could regrow my uterus if He wants, but for now I'm just going to pursue holiness in other ways." (Meaning aside from childbearing.)

But most of the time I honestly think it is no one's business, and I think it is awful to judge people based on whether or not they are married, have children, or want children in the future. Childbearing is not a failsafe indicator of holiness or dedication to God. Not in the least.

Upvote 0

white dove

(she's a) maniac
Jan 23, 2004
Out there, livin'
✟49,357.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
I have received lots of comments like, "Look what God did for Abraham and Sarah!" and "God is the opener and closer of wombs." And I have definitely been told to pray for babies. One couple told me that their neighbours prayed to God every day for a child, and they got pregnant 9 years later after consistently trying to conceive. (I'd say that is a blessing indeed.) But for me, it isn't that simple.

I can be rather blunt, so I have said things like, "I guess God could regrow my uterus if He wants, but for now I'm just going to pursue holiness in other ways." (Meaning aside from childbearing.)

But most of the time I honestly think it is no one's business, and I think it is awful to judge people based on whether or not they are married, have children, or want children in the future. Childbearing is not a failsafe indicator of holiness or dedication to God. Not in the least.

I figured you'd get some of that... :/ At least you seem pretty firm about this though. I mean, if you felt called to have babies that would be one thing (and probably also just as hurtful to assume it would just happen for you). But seeing as you don't really want them, there is no harm no foul. Getting married and becoming a parent are very personal decisions. They're big-time, too. Nobody should ever feel forced into it and yeah, getting married and/or having/conceiving babies is not a clear indication of anything having to do with character or morality.

Upvote 0