Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
BBC News - BA wins High Court ban on cabin crew strikes
British Airways has won a High Court injunction to stop the latest strikes by its cabin staff.
The decision was based on a technicality and whether the Unite union followed rules in contacting its members with strike result details.
The first of four five-day walkouts had been due to begin at midnight, but will not go ahead following Mr Justice McCombe's decision.
The union said it would appeal against the injunction decision.
BA said it was delighted that the "extreme and unjustified" strike could not go ahead.
But it apologised to some customers who are due to travel during the early days of the union's planned industrial action and will see flights affected.

Another strike averted. BA must be thrilled.

SithDoughnut

The Agnostic, Ignostic, Apatheistic Atheist
Jan 2, 2010
The Death Starbucks
✟18,474.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I read the article, but I still couldn't find out how the strike was actually stopped. Anyone knows what the ruling actually banned?

According to today's Guardian:

The Guardian said:
In a verdict that stunned the Unite union, Mr Justice McCombe granted the third injunction against a major transport strike in six months as he overturned an 81% vote in favour of industrial action.
Hours before staff were due to start the first of four five-day walkouts at midnight, the high court ruled that the strike would breach the 1992 Trade Union Act because Unite's attempts to inform members of the poll result were inadequate. The strikes would have affected 1.8 million passengers and cost BA nearly £140m.

Link to the Guardian coverage of the story here:

Union cries foul after court blocks BA cabin crew strike | Business | The Guardian

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Upvote 0