Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally, I hated living in a dorm room. My roommate decided not to share a room with me on move-in day, so I got the room all to myself. Great, right? Well, it was great for the fall semester, but then during the spring semester, I started isolating myself (which isn't hard to do when you have severe social anxiety and debilitating depression like I do), and I skipped almost all of my classes. I had almost no social contact at all and even stopped talking to my parents (who, up until that point, were the only people that I talked to on a regular basis). That semester, I failed all but two of my courses.

So if you have anxiety or depression issues like I do, I highly advise against signing up for a single room.

Reactions: kittysbecute
Upvote 0

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Personally, I hated living in a dorm room. My roommate decided not to share a room with me on move-in day, so I got the room all to myself. Great, right? Well, it was great for the fall semester, but then during the spring semester, I started isolating myself (which isn't hard to do when you have severe social anxiety and debilitating depression like I do), and I skipped almost all of my classes. I had almost no social contact at all and even stopped talking to my parents (who, up until that point, were the only people that I talked to on a regular basis). That semester, I failed all but two of my courses.

So if you have anxiety or depression issues like I do, I highly advise against signing up for a single room.

wow, sorry to hear that. I pray to God that things will get better for you.

Upvote 0

ZACTAK

Contributor
Feb 12, 2005
Missouri
✟16,157.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I really enjoy my classes. There are always those classes you hate, but most of them I have learned a lot and know in the end what it will be like. I also like how classes are usually based off of tests and a paper or two, instead of 50 assignments and tests like it is in high school.

Dorm life was terrible for me. I am very easy to get along with, but had bad experiences living in the dorms. I was raised not sharing a room, but when I got into the dorms I didn't have any space I could call my own. I have been considered stubborn, and one of my roommates was stubborn as well. We were butting heads quite often, and in the end we ended up not talking with each other. I trusted him and told him one of my deepest secrets. During an argument he brought it up and used it against me.

My second year in dorm life, I moved in with these two guys. One of them used my toothbrush to clean the bathroom and set it back in its place without telling me. We got into a fight. He was so mean and cruel along with my other roommate that I ended up having to move out of my dorm early, because I feared for my own safety and the dorms wouldn't do anything about it, except give us a mediation, which I was not willing to do.

I now live in an apartment with my best friend and it has been a lot better experience. I have space I can call my own and retreat to if I want to be left alone.

Upvote 0