attn: all college students

dbot

Jul 15, 2005
✟770.00
Faith
Christian
how is the "Christian" atmosphere in the dorms you've been in? Were there a good amount of Christians living there?
if youre going to look for a christian atmosphere at your college, look for various campus ministries that are sure to be around (depending on how big your college is, there may be just one or two, or one for various denominations). Finding christians on campus wont be too hard, but your dorm shouldn't be your first place you look. If youre worried about your roommate situation in that regard, just pray that God gives you the roommate that you NEED, rather than the one you want. A roommate of a different faith may prove more useful for you than a christian one. I'm not sure thats what you asked, but its just a suggestion

Upvote 0

rita727

Jul 29, 2006
A Pineapple under the Sea
✟23,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, and dont take 8am classes. No matter what it is, it's not worth it. I forgot that lesson and now I have an 8am chemlab. (puts gun to head)

I will jump on the other bandwagon, and say avoid 8 am's at ALL cost, but thats just me. I have 8 am's m-f next semester though, because as it was said, you gotta do what you gotta do

I'm not in college yet, so somebody tell me: what's wrong with 8 AM's?

Upvote 0

Isomorphic410

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
✟8,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
lol, they're early ;) if you like to shower in the morning you have to wake up about 6:45-7:00am which can be tough sometimes. if you're a morning person it shouldn't be a problem :)

Upvote 0

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my experience it was pretty nonexistent... I would say it depends on the school you go to (my school is very liberal) but just about any college you go to, aside from Bible colleges, there's probably going to be a lot of partying going on.

On my floor last year there were a few people who called themselves Christians but on the weekends they were out drinking or smoking pot. There was probably only one other guy on my floor that took Christianity seriously and he didn't really come out of his room much, so there wasn't a lot of Christian atmosphere.

wow that's rough. I'll definitely look for a Christian group on campus. My school seems to have a lot of Christian organizations.

Are you still living in a dorm?

Upvote 0

Isomorphic410

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
✟8,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
wow that's rough. I'll definitely look for a Christian group on campus. My school seems to have a lot of Christian organizations.

Are you still living in a dorm?
That's good to hear! I'm home for the summer but next year I'm living in a 4 bedroom townhouse with 4 other guys that lived on my floor. None of them are practicing Christians. One of them actually got all awkward when he saw my Bible on my nightstand last year in the dorm, so I dunno about them. It's really tough to find Christians on my campus :(

Upvote 0

PuppyforChrist

Loyal and obedient to its Master
Jun 25, 2003
Pennsylvania
✟18,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
That's good to hear! I'm home for the summer but next year I'm living in a 4 bedroom townhouse with 4 other guys that lived on my floor. None of them are practicing Christians. One of them actually got all awkward when he saw my Bible on my nightstand last year in the dorm, so I dunno about them. It's really tough to find Christians on my campus :(
I hear you there. My school has some Christian organizations but not many are interested in it.

I actually am the president of one Christian organization and I'm the only member still active! My minister and I are trying to get more people involved but so far no sucess.

I'd just look at the organizations on your campus that you might be interested in and attend a meeting or two and see if you like it. I'm a part of two Christian clubs on my campus and that's fine with me.

As far as 8am's go.. I think next fall I have one 8am Mondays and Wednesdays, and then just a 9:30am class Tuesdays and Thursdays. I would say avoid them if you can but like everyone has been saying, sometimes you can't. I don't know how it is at other schools, but at my school freshmen are the last to schedule classes so they usually get stuck with 8am classes that no one else wanted. Everyone will end up taking an 8am eventually.

Plus it could be worse. You could have a three hour 8am science lab on Mondays. A friend of mine had that happen to her and she hated the professor too. So she wasn't too pleased.

And roomates, well, I've had a different roomate every single semester I've been at my school.

My first one went to live with another girl, the second one would be really rude to be and insult me daily to the point I had to sleep with my friend in another dorm, my third one had an anger management problem, and my fourth one already had made plans to room with another girl in the fall of 07.

However my third roomate, dispite the anger problem we were pretty good friends. She decided to transfer to another school though because my school didn't have her real major.

My fourth one I think we are still friends, but we spent too much time together as roomates sometimes and we both saw that. We ended up fighting over little things a lot. But when we wern't fighting things were great.

My advice for roomates, if you becomes friends with him or her, don't spend all your time with them as this will probably annoy them. And if you guys start fighting or something serious happens between the two of you, get out of there and switch roomates.

I kind of liked having roomates because you always had someone there to talk to. And actually, three out of my four roomates were Christians, even though sometimes they didn't act that way at all but that's just my opinion.

Singles do cost more though, which is why I couldn't ever get one. I'm actually living in sort of an apartment type of housing on my campus with an international student. I have no idea where this girl is going to come from but I did request Germany. I'm looking forward to meeting whoever it is. I am a little nervous though as most people are when it comes to meeting a roomate for the first time but it's only because I don't know what to expect.

Upvote 0

dbot

Jul 15, 2005
✟770.00
Faith
Christian
lol, they're early ;) if you like to shower in the morning you have to wake up about 6:45-7:00am which can be tough sometimes. if you're a morning person it shouldn't be a problem :)
theyre SOOO early. At first you decide that you wanna get up and shower and all that, so you wake up around 7am. Then you decide that thats way to early to get up, so you just wake up around 730 to get dressed. Then thats too early, so you just wake up long enough to throw on some pants and a shirt and wake up at 745. Then you just decide that that class is way too early to begin with and whoever scheduled it needs to be kicked in the stomach so you wake up at 955 just in time to watch the price is right.

And in general, dont worry about getting dressed up for classes. Especially after the first week, most people are just wearing jeans and t-shirts. I had a class my first semester where when the class before it emptied out, a guy walked out barefoot. Every time I saw him. (Thats a little extreme though)

College is going to be very interesting times for anyone who isnt there yet. And I dont necessarily mean that in a bad way. But just be on your guard, and prepare for situations. For example, in high school, I never touched alcohol, but by the end of my first semester of college I had already been drunk at least twice.

Just keep your head about you and know where you stand on things such as drinking, smoking (it seems to me that weed is almost a staple of college), and other issues.

Upvote 0

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMHO, try to find a Christian group on campus right away. They're likely to be out and making themselves known during the first few weeks. If it's a larger campus, Campus Crusade will probably be there, or Intervarsity. But there's probably smaller groups too ... although I am obviously not Asian I ended up joining the Asian Christian Fellowship at my school because after I accepted Christ that's where my Christian friends went, so I went with them! :D

Upvote 0

MezzaMorta

Aug 11, 2006
✟4,292.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Private
My roommate was some weird Asian kid who would just play video games and never really socialized with anyone. Though he moved out after Christimas because I would end up kicking him out of the room all the time when I brought women back too the room.... kind of a mean thing to do in retrospect but what can you do. Live in a frat house now which is sick, not the ideal situation for getting work done or going to class but what is college for other than partying it up.

and most classes are not worth going to, expecially first year. All the information the teachers put up on the internet and half the stuff you don't even need to learn. Most of the time what I would do is find people in my classes on facebook and just hit them up for notes/whats important.

Upvote 0

BushidoTexan

Nov 16, 2006
Houston, TX
✟7,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I like to get up 2 hours before my first class, to give me time to shower, eat, make sure i have everything together for all my classes, do any last minute studying/hw, check the weather/email, mess around on forums to catch the messages that people wrote at 4am.

I hate the morning as well, so it takes me about that long to actually get woken up and ready to go.

In general, I would say the earlier the class, the better the chance of you skipping it whenever possible, which in the long run, is not good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
have any of you had roommate conflicts with waking up early for class while the other person sleeps in? What I mean is, has you or your roommate been annoying by one of you getting up early and making all that noise by taking shower, getting ready, all early, just for early class?

Upvote 0

dbot

Jul 15, 2005
✟770.00
Faith
Christian
have any of you had roommate conflicts with waking up early for class while the other person sleeps in? What I mean is, has you or your roommate been annoying by one of you getting up early and making all that noise by taking shower, getting ready, all early, just for early class?
I wouldnt worry about that. If a person can't understand that you have a class to get to, and that some classes do indeed happen at 8am, and are seriously irritated by the fact that their sleep is in any way disturbed by someone preparing for such a class, then they deserve to be disturbed.

Seriously anyone who gives you grief for such a thing is a.................I honestly cant think of a word that I could use in a place like this. Douchebag?

Upvote 0

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
what about if you are an early bird and just get up early in general and make slight noises for a few hours in the morning until your roommate wakes up at 12 pm or whatever?

I know for me I've shared a room with my bro for most of my life and it has somewhat annoyed me that my bro sleeps in until 11 or 12 pm because sometimes I want to just pickup my guitar and jam or maybe do something that makes a little more noise.

But whatever works I guess

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

what about if you are an early bird and just get up early in general and make slight noises for a few hours in the morning until your roommate wakes up at 12 pm or whatever?

I know for me I've shared a room with my bro for most of my life and it has somewhat annoyed me that my bro sleeps in until 11 or 12 pm because sometimes I want to just pickup my guitar and jam or maybe do something that makes a little more noise.

But whatever works I guess
Ha...that's exactly how it is with me and my roommate....I am a total morning person, and she would sleep til 4 if she could.

It's never really been a problem, I mean you might have to take your jamming to a lounge, or even outside, which in my opinion, would be cool, but the noises won't bother your roommate. And if they do, they'll probably talk to you about it, and then you'll figure out some sort of compromise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

redheadskiangel

Veteran
Jun 5, 2007
Vacaville, CA
✟9,495.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was never a problem for me when my roommate had an earlier class than me when I was living in a dorm room. I am a heavy sleeper. :). and it's just something you learn to deal with. One thing I think is good to learn is to compromise. It will be both of your room. So maybe set some ground rules?? how late is too late if ever? quiet hours until a certain time (excluding getting ready for classes) cleaning duties, those those types of things. they can definitely help with problems in the future. also be honest with your roommates if you feel you are having problems, don't keep them bottled up inside. they might explode after a while :)

Upvote 0

ValiantForTruth

A Servent of Christ
Jun 22, 2007
Mars
✟15,308.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Last year in college I had four roommates. I was almost always the first one up (some where between 4:30 am and 5:30 am most days) I just tried my best to be quiet and never had any problems. In fact some of my roommates even told me that I was too extreme in my caution and that they didn't mind if did more in the morning (trying to use a cell phone as a book light was a bit tough LOL. ^_^ Most roommates will agree to let you use a little more light than that even at 4:30 am). As for fun times the shaving cream fight in my room was fun, but don't tell the faculty I did it.:p

Upvote 0

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
how did you all feel content with having a roommate?

I've been reserved a room in the dorms, but they won't tell me if I have a single room or a shared one until sometime in july or early august.

If I get a roommate, I'm afraid things might be hard to workout. I'm a guitarist/musician and I really need at least a couple hours a day to practice and play around. I have a lot of picky preferences so I don't know how to handle it right and feel content if I get a roommate.

Have any of you been situations like this where you are very picky about things and somehow settled it well for both of you?

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2002
Alabama
✟23,450.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
to work things out with your roommate you just have to talk and be willing to compromise. as for practicing your guitar, everyone i've talked to who's musical either practices in their room or on the quad (sometimes they find an empty classroom). most people probably wouldn't mind if you messed around during the day.... especially if your roomie is out of the room during the day.

for roomies with differing morning schedules, you eventually get used to it. my roommate was an education major and got up at some insane hour (like 5 am) and i didn't get up till around 8 or 9. i just got used to rolling over and going back to sleep if she woke me up. of course i'm one of those people who can sleep with music or the light on. now printing is another matter. can't sleep through that. i kept the same roomie all four years and now she's still my roomie after graduation and apartment living.

i would suggest going to all your classes. 8 am classes aren't so bad... particularly if the prof you want is at that time. besides, you can always just roll out of bed and shove your feet in shoes if you want. you're a college student, you can get away with a lot of things. skipping isn't really a good idea. if there's a question about a grade it's easier to get a sympathetic ear (and possibly a change) if you show up to class, participate, and get to know the profs... if you can. i know some colleges grade on participation and attendence. i went to one such college and why fail on the account of something so easy?

Upvote 0

ValiantForTruth

A Servent of Christ
Jun 22, 2007
Mars
✟15,308.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I have run the gambit as far as roommates go. My first semester I only had one, my second I had none, and my last two I had four. I never really had much trouble with them though. (The only major difference I found between having roommates and not is that when you have roommates you have have your alarm closer to your bed) As long as you remain flexible, you should be fine. as to the guitar, I had two roommates last year that played guitars. They never got up at some insane hour to play them. They just played in the room during the day and I never had a problem with that. (I usually enjoyed it quite a bit)

Upvote 0