metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Well, it can be both awesome and stinky.

Part depends on your floor and building. It can be awesome if everyone keeps their door open for socializing, but that can get very noisy. OTOH, closed doors all the time can mean more quiet study time.

A large part depends on your roomie. If (in your case it would be a she) she is a night owl while you are an early bird, or vice versa it can be terrible. Or not, as you might not be around each other enough to bug one another. You need to be either compatible or never around with your roomie, otherwise things get ugly fast.

You got to avoid the temptation of not going to any class you wish. It's hard to resist, but DON"T DO IT.

I will probably post more later as right now I need to finish packing.

Metherion

Upvote 0

Isomorphic410

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
✟8,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Agreed - go to all of your classes. You will be more on top of things if you go to class and (for me anyway) missing a class made things difficult because by the next class I'd have no idea what the professor was talking about. Just go to class, it'll be worth it.

As far as dorms, I got lucky and got a pretty good roommate. He was a little annoying, but it wasn't too bad. Always keep your door open and really get to know the people on your floor, most likely they'll be the people you'll get an apartment with your 2nd year (unless you have to or choose to live in a dorm again). You're going to be around them for the entire year, so try not to make them mad at you ;)

Overall my first year wasn't too bad, I was ready to get out of the dorms and get an apartment though. I really didn't like having a roommate who was always in the same room, I never had any privacy. The 4 bedroom apartment next year should be nice :)

Good luck!

Upvote 0

glamourdollxoxo

Give us this day our daily bread
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
IL
✟25,030.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
My room mate was horrible and I got my digital camera, Designer jeans, and new pink ipod nano stolen. If I could do it over I would have never had a room mate in the first place and just got a single. My RA was nice though but compared to other dorms their RAs were on power trips. If you have a lot of expensive things I would advise locking them up after using them. I also got involved on campus by going through rush and joining a sorority.

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

I love dorm life...I highly recommend it to anyone..it's such a worthwhile experience.

There can be a real sense of community and you start to become a family with the people in your dorm. The whole sharing a bathroom with everyone can be kind of annoying, but that's not all dorms anyway. My dorm last year had rats!! Haha...but the people were great. I actually miss that dorm a LOT!! And dorms are built in support systems for studying and what not.

I actually skip class...I never would have thought about that in high school. But some classes are just useless, so if I miss a day or two, eh, I don't know, I just don't care.

The roommate thing can be tough..I got lucky mostly, but even with the best roommate, there is bound to be some stuff that's not perfect. The important thing is to communicate. You can't be shy and afraid of confrontation (like me...)...you need to always lay everything out on the table.

That's just my two cents...

Upvote 0

dbot

Jul 15, 2005
✟770.00
Faith
Christian
people say go to your classes all the time, and while theyre right, you're gonna end up skipping classes eventually...I dont know a person who hasn't done it. Eventually you decide that a class is just way to early in the morning, or you'd rather watch the office than go to history.

As for dorms, my dorm experience was pretty good. I got a pretty good roommate, although he had his quips that would get on my nerves. He would wake up every day at about 8pm, and play either halo with my suitemate, or world of warcraft by himself. Nice guy though, never had an arguement. I feel bad though, cause I kinda made fun of him sometimes, and it was really uncalled for.

But I've known people who have had TERRIBLE roommate situations. But in all liklihood, it seems like generally, your roommate will be an alright person, who you'll agree with frequently but have a spat here or there. Dont go in there expecting to meet the biggest jerk in the world, but also dont expect to meet your new best friend. Either could happen, no doubt, but generally you'll probably find yourself agreeable at least with the person you live with.

Oh, and dont take 8am classes. No matter what it is, it's not worth it. I forgot that lesson and now I have an 8am chemlab. (puts gun to head)

But as for the overall experience of college, its really just gonna depend on where you go. I had my first year at U. North Texas, and classes were incredibly easy, and I kinda coasted through my first year, more or less. My second year that I just finished was at another school, and I wasnt prepared for the dramatic increase in difficulty (my first semester GPA there was a 0.7)

But DONT overdo yourself in your first semester/year. Try taking a few less hours than you think you need to get a feel for the university and the classes. If you overload yourself too fast, you'll be MISERABLE. Do not underestimate the stress that college can bring you if you go about it carelessly.

One could write a book on preparing for college, but this is all I could think to say at the moment.

Upvote 0

Isomorphic410

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
✟8,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
^^ 8 am classes...sometimes ya gotta do what you gotta do...it seems that my favorite teacher likes to have 8 am classes...and I need her classes for my major...

you'll get over it...chances are you will have to wake up early for work anyway...so might as well become a morning person
Yeah 8am's aren't that bad and sometimes you don't have a choice if there's a class you're determined to get in. As long as you go to bed around 11pm or midnight you'll be okay ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm also wondering about dorm experience. I'm transferring to a State University this fall and am interested in living in the dorms. I may be a bit older than most but, I'm still wondering what it's like.

Have any of you dealt with musicians in the dorms?

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

I'm also wondering about dorm experience. I'm transferring to a State University this fall and am interested in living in the dorms. I may be a bit older than most but, I'm still wondering what it's like.

Have any of you dealt with musicians in the dorms?
In my dorm last year, there was this guy who would always play his guitar and sing in the lounge constantly...which didn't really bother us much...it was just that he didn't live in the dorm and no one knew how he always got in...so it was just odd...

I have no idea what kind of answer you were looking for on that one though...so I probably didn't help much...sorry

Upvote 0

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In my dorm last year, there was this guy who would always play his guitar and sing in the lounge constantly...which didn't really bother us much...it was just that he didn't live in the dorm and no one knew how he always got in...so it was just odd...

I have no idea what kind of answer you were looking for on that one though...so I probably didn't help much...sorry

haha

well I'm mainly looking for people that play electric guitar in their dorms and how they manage to play with the noise rules.

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

haha

well I'm mainly looking for people that play electric guitar in their dorms and how they manage to play with the noise rules.
hmm..well I think noise rules may be different everywhere..but I mean I don't see playing a guitar when it's not "quiet hours" would be a bother...for that matter, even during quiet hours, if you have the right neughbors...I mean, what college kids really follow the quiet hour rules?

Upvote 0

BushidoTexan

Nov 16, 2006
Houston, TX
✟7,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
one of the kids in the room next to me would play his electric guitar sometimes at 3pmish. It was way too loud, and he wasn't that good, so his room mate would come into our room while he was playing. Its not a big deal though, if anything, just set up a time with your room mate when you will be playing... or just plug headphones in

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SymphonicaX

Nov 8, 2003
San Diego, CA
Visit site
✟25,933.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
one of the kids in the room next to me would play his electric guitar sometimes at 3pmish. It was way too loud, and he wasn't that good, so his room mate would come into our room while he was playing. Its not a big deal though, if anything, just set up a time with your room mate when you will be playing... or just plug headphones in

hahah, I personally don't play loud.

Have you all had your own rooms or have you had to share?

Upvote 0

Isomorphic410

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
✟8,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As far as I know, everyone at IU has to share a room their freshman year. Sophomore year you're allowed to move to a few other dorms for sophomores, juniors, seniors, and grad students but they cost a ridiculous amount of cash. I think it's a general rule that you share your freshman year.

Upvote 0

Isomorphic410

Mar 23, 2007
Indiana
✟8,006.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
how is the "Christian" atmosphere in the dorms you've been in? Were there a good amount of Christians living there?
In my experience it was pretty nonexistent... I would say it depends on the school you go to (my school is very liberal) but just about any college you go to, aside from Bible colleges, there's probably going to be a lot of partying going on.

On my floor last year there were a few people who called themselves Christians but on the weekends they were out drinking or smoking pot. There was probably only one other guy on my floor that took Christianity seriously and he didn't really come out of his room much, so there wasn't a lot of Christian atmosphere.

Upvote 0