Astronomers should be sued for false advertizing. (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
There is another problem with that assertion about Hannes Alfvén and 'threads', Michael.
Space 'Slinky' Confirms Theory with a Twist

Hannes Alfvén was dead for 5 years by then.
Hannes Alfven's book was published 19 years before anyone thought that these 'threads' could have magnetic fields around their long axis.

Oy Vey. Alfven wrote about plasma filaments large and small his entire professional career. I'm sure he would have *easily* recognized a Birkeland current in plasma on *any* scale.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Total fail, Michael, considering the fact I've asked you for three years for a reference that *actually* supports your claim that electrical discharges are possible in plasma.

Yes, and I gave it to you three years ago and again today. Denial is your primary self defense mechanism apparently. You also ran from my request, whereas I will fulfill your request *again* right now:

1958IAUS....6..135D Page 135

Where is *your* reference RC?

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Yes another unsupported assertion, Michael :D!
Please cite the paper(s) where Alfven replaced magnetic reconnection theory in all "current carrying environments" with another theory.

B. Magnetic Merging — A Pseudo-Science

Since then I have stressed in a large number of papers the danger of using the frozen-in concept. For example, in a paper "Electric Current Structure of the Magnetosphere" (Alfvén, 1975), I made a table showing the difference between the real plasma and "a fictitious medium" called "the pseudo-plasma," the latter having frozen in magnetic field lines moving with the plasma. The most important criticism of the "merging" mechanism of energy transfer is due to Heikkila (1973) who with increasing strength has demonstrated that it is wrong. In spite of all this, we have witnessed at the same time an enormously voluminous formalism building up based on this obviously erroneous concept. Indeed, we have been burdened with a gigantic pseudo-science which penetrates large parts of cosmic plasma physics. The monograph CP treats the field-line reconnection (merging) concept in 1.3, 11.3, and 11.5. We may conclude that anyone who uses the merging concepts states by implication that no double layers exist.

A new epoch in magnetospheric physics was inaugurated by L. Lyons and D. Williams' monograph (1985). They treat magnetospheric phenomena systematically by the particle approach and demonstrate that the fluid dynamic approach gives erroneous results. The error of the latter approach is of a basic character. Of course there can be no magnetic merging energy transfer.

I was naive enough to believe that such a pseudo-science would die by itself in the scientific community, and I concentrated my work on more pleasant problems. To my great surprise the opposite has occurred; the "merging" pseudo-science seems to be increasingly powerful. Magnetospheric physics and solar wind physics today are no doubt in a chaotic state, and a major reason for this is that some of the published papers are science and part pseudoscience, perhaps even with a majority for the latter group.

In those parts of solar physics which do not deal with the interior of the Sun and the dense photospheric region (fields where the frozen-in concept may be valid), the state is even worse. It is difficult to find theoretical papers on the low density regions which are correct. The present state of plasma astrophysics seems to be almost completely isolated from the new concepts of plasma which the in situ measurements on space plasma have made necessary (see Section VIII).

I sincerely hope that the increased interest in the study of double layers — which is fatal to this pseudoscience — will change the situation. Whenever we find a double layer (or any other E ll # 0) we hammer a nail into the coffin of the "merging" pseudo-science.
Emphasis mine. It's the speech he gave at the very same conference where he presented his paper on double layers.
http://www.thesurfaceofthesun.com/Alfven/Double Layers In Astrophysics.pdf

Still waiting for *your* reference that uses the term "impossible" in reference to electrical discharges in plasma. Do you have one, yes or no?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
...repeated rant about the Debye length snipped...
The "ambient medium" as you're calling it is a *6000 degree plasma*!
Actually the "ambient medium" as you're calling it is a *million degree plasma* :clap:!
That is the temperature if the intra-cluster medium that we see shock waves in.

When you personally pick out the error in his double layer paper, I'll be happy to answer that question.
When will you understand that I do not think that there is any error in his paper, Michael?
It is a nice little paper. Very outdated since the evidence for magnetic reconnection causing solar flares has become very strong in the last 46 years.
So answer:
What does the opinion of a dead man stated in a speech decades have to do with the fact that he was basically wrong?

Sure. You use it every day, particularly when you use terms like crank, crackpot, yada, yada, yada on astronomy topics when you're not even an astronomer in the first place!
Surely you lie about understanding the logical fallacy of argument from authority, Michael :p, (or at least make a very bad mistake)!

Way to shot yourself in the foot, Michael - you are also not an astronomer. You are the one use terms like clueless, dead sky deity, yada, yada, yada on astronomy topics when you're not even an astronomer in the first place!

I have the advantage over you of knowing my limits about the topics I write about. I can start with a good grounding in physics to graduate level. I then double check (usually :)) my memory with the scientific literature. I make mistakes and am prepared to acknowledge them if evidence is produced that I did.

Then there is you, Michael.
In this thread, you asserted that Guth predicted that the universe is homogeneous on large scales. I pointed out that homogeneity has been an assumption in cosmology well before Guth.
Do you acknowledge that you got it wrong? Not so far (but I live in hope!).

In this thread, you are asserting that cosmological redshift is caused inelastic scattering processes. But
  • That this seems your own opinion (no citations to literature supporting you) raises doublts.
  • Inelastic scattering causes both redshift and blue shift.
  • Tired light theories in general are invalid. e.g. Errors in Tired Light Cosmology
  • There is a reason why astronomers dismiss inelastic scattering out of hand - they know what scattering is :clap:!
    Scattering causes a proportion of incident particle to be scattered. But cosmological redshift is the observation that every detected photon that we see is redshifted. We never see the original spectrum of a redshifted galaxy no matter how close it is to us.
    ETA: Michael: Tired light theories predict no detectable redshift through scattering
    First pointed out20th November 2012
Do you acknowledge that you got it wrong? Not so far.
ETA: Michael, can you provide evidence peer-reviewed scientific literature that the following can cause cosmological redshift?
First asked 14th November 2012

In another thread you asserted that the transition region is 4000 km (or about) below the surface of the Sun.

But
  • Astronomers put it between the chromosphere and corona (it is the transition zone between the relative cool chromosphere and the much hotter corona).
    This is easy to see - block out light from the body of the Sun here on Earth and the gap between the chromosphere and the corona is the transition zone.
  • Less than 1 photon a year would escape from a depth of ~4000 km .
    So according to you, the images taken of the transition zone are impossible.

In the same thread you assert that images of solar flares that are happening above the photosphere are actually images of "mountain ranges" (as in your web site) forming the surface of the Sun when the original images of solar flares are mathematically processed into running difference images. Mathematics does not transform thin plasma into solid iron!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Alfven wrote about plasma filaments large and small his entire professional career. I'm sure he would have *easily* recognized a Birkeland current in plasma on *any* scale.
He would have looked at the images and known that Birkeland currents were not involved because he knew that Birkeland currents happen in very specific situations, e.g. around the Earth.

Another ETA just for fun:
Why don't we think what Alfven would say about an image of the Earth and it's magnetosphere which is known to contain Birkeland currents. Absolutely no signs of a Birkeland current in plasma on *this* scale, Michael!
We had to send probes into space to make measurements and then analyse the results in 1966.

He would have read Jason Fiege and Ralph Pudritz's paper and agreed that the magnetic field is a result of the existing shape of the cloud (judging by the news article though the paper would be interesting).
ETA: I was wrong (see Michael, this is how to acknowledge that you make an error :p)
Helical fields and filamentary molecular clouds - I
We study the equilibrium of pressure truncated, filamentary molecular clouds that are threaded by rather general helical magnetic fields. We first apply the virial theorem to filamentary molecular clouds, including the effects of non-thermal motions and the turbulent pressure of the surrounding ISM. When compared with the data, we find that many filamentary clouds have a mass per unit length that is significantly reduced by the effects of external pressure, and that toroidal fields play a significant role in squeezing such clouds ...
They assume the existence of helical magnetic fields and show that shape is significantly affected by the toroidal fields.

Not that the question has anything to do with Birkeland currents or peoples ability to make up fantasies about astronomical images.
Evidence that Hannes Alfvén described 'threads' as current flows and circuits?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Actually the "ambient medium" as you're calling it is a *million degree plasma* :clap:!

Er, no. You said *magnetosphere*. I'm sure there are shock waves in *all* types of plasma at *all* temperatures that are possible in plasma.

When will you understand that I do not think that there is any error in his paper, Michael?
Then you have no business claiming Alfven was wrong. You haven't even *read* a single textbook on plasma physics, whereas Alfven literally wrote the book on MHD theory. I trust Alfven. I don't trust you at all.

It is a nice little paper. Very outdated since the evidence for magnetic reconnection causing solar flares has become very strong in the last 46 years.
The actual cause (electricity) of solar flares hasn't changed one iota in the whole of human history, and it has nothing to do with the pseudoscience called "magnetic reconnection".

So answer:
What does the opinion of a dead man stated in a speech decades have to do with the fact that he was basically wrong?
You haven't demonstrated he was "basically wrong" for starters, and his "explanation" doesn't requires us to ignore basic EM field theory which insists that magnetic fields have no beginning, no end, no ability to disconnect from, nor reconnect to any other magnetic line. There are no "monopoles" found in nature. The only way for energy to move from one flux rope to another is by charged particle movement through a *double layer*!

Way to shot yourself in the foot, Michael - you are also not an astronomer.
The difference between us is that *besides* reading the mainstream dogma, I've also read *several* textbooks on the topic of MHD theory, I've read Cosmic Plasma for myself, and I've published papers on astronomy topics.

arXiv.org Search

Which of your papers on astronomy topics might I find on Arxiv?

You are the one use terms like clueless, dead sky deity, yada, yada, yada on astronomy topics when you're not even an astronomer in the first place!
I've since toned it down a bit and I've been sticking to the term "supernatural" as of late. Care to reciprocate?

I have the advantage over you of knowing my limits about the topics I write about.
Pfft. Your comments about electrical discharges being impossible in plasma, combined with the fact you've been playing the role of EU/PC "skeptic" without ever reading Cosmic Plasma demonstrates you don't know your limits at all. You've never read a book on MDH theory. You've never read Perratt's book either. You've never once provided a published reference to back up any of your erroneous statements even though I've asked you for them for *years*.

I can start with a good grounding in physics to graduate level.
Great. When can I expect your to read a textbook on MHD theory then?

I then double check (usually :)) my memory with the scientific literature.
Alfven called some of that literature "pseudoscience".

I make mistakes and am prepared to acknowledge them if evidence is produced that I did.
The fact you've never recanted your claim about electrical discharges being impossible in plasma and you've never produced a reference that used the term "impossible" demonstrates that your statement is false.

Then there is you, Michael.
In this thread, you asserted that Guth predicted that the universe is homogeneous on large scales. I pointed out that homogeneity has been an assumption in cosmology well before Guth.
So what? He formally *predicted* it with his theory, and like every other prediction he made, it was *falsified*!

Do you acknowledge that you got it wrong? Not so far (but I live in hope!).
I never denied that Guth *postdicted a fit* in the first place, in fact I've been complaining about it for *years*! I've complained because like every other "bait and switch" technique being used, he *postdicted* a fit, and astronomers kept claiming it was a *prediction* of his theory! It was pure false advertizing to call it a *prediction* to start with.

In this thread, you are asserting that cosmological redshift is caused inelastic scattering processes. But
  • That this seems your own opinion (no citations to literature supporting you) raises doublts.
Absolutely and positively false. Even Hubble himself wrote about *two* possible explanations for redshift, not one. I've also provided all sorts of published literature from Chen and many others that demonstrates for a fact that inelastic scattering happens in plasma.

Inelastic scattering causes both redshift and blue shift.
Then please show me where in Chen's lab experiments with scattering where he observed blueshift as well as redshift.

I've ripped on Ned Wright's *unpublished* nonsense for years now. There's no point in doing it again.

When can I expect you to read Cosmic Plasma oh great EU/PC skeptic?

When can I expect you to provide a *published reference* that claims that electrical discharges are impossible in plasma., and actually uses the term "impossible"? Never! Run away from these two questions all you like, but as long as you keep engaging me in debate I will keep asking you those same two questions.

I've provided you with your requested references, but you have *never* produced a published reference to back up your claim about electrical discharges being "impossible" in plasma. Never.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
Emphasis mine.
Please cite the paper(s) where Alfven replaced magnetic reconnection theory in all "current carrying environments" with another theory.
And my emphasis again.

I do know the difference between a speech and a paper, Michael - do you :p?

http://www.christianforums.com/t7754178-19/#post64241430

I added a link to the published paper for you.

Still waiting for your reference on electrical discharges being "impossible" (using that term) in plasma. And waiting, and waiting and waiting...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Er, no. You said *magnetosphere*.
I said that you got the term "bow shocks" wrong: "Actually you only get bow shocks between a magnetosphere and an ambient medium".
I am talking about shock waves, e.g. between colliding galaxy clusters.

Then you have no business claiming Alfven was wrong.
That paper is not wrong.
Alfven's opinion in his speech was wrong because plasma physics has advanced since then even while essentially ignoring his speech.

The actual cause
...snipped ignorance...
The actual cause of solar flares has changed through human history as people came up with different theories. The observations show that MR is the cause of solar flares
Flares occur when accelerated charged particles, mainly electrons, interact with the plasma medium. Scientific research has shown that the phenomenon of magnetic reconnection is responsible for the acceleration of the charged particles.

The You haven't demonstrated he was "basically wrong" for starters,
...snipped a fantasy about MR and monopoles....
The modern scientific literature demonstrates that Alfven was basically wrong.

You were an author on those quite crank papers whose contribution looks like the idea that images of solar flares are actually images of iron mountain ranges.

Which of your papers on astronomy topics might I find on Arxiv?
You will not - I was a solid state physicist.

I've since toned it down a bit and I've been sticking to the term "supernatural" as of late. Care to reciprocate?
Sure - you show me a theory that is worth of calling supernatural and I will call it supernatural.
But show me a theory based on "I see bunnies in the clouds" logic and "I will deny basic physics" bias and I will call the theory a crank theory and the author a crank.

Pfft. Your comments about electrical discharges being impossible in plasma,
...more ranting about electrical discharges snipped...
Actual electrical discharges are impossible in plasma, etc. (November 2012)

Great. When can I expect your to read a textbook on MHD theory then?
When we get around to discussing MHD theory.
The answer to this Have you heard of the logical fallacy of argument from authority, Michael? remains no !

So what? He formally *predicted* it with his theory, and like every other prediction he made, it was *falsified*!
So what? You remain wrong and now you have an actual lie :doh:!
Inflationary theory makes several predictions. None of then have been falsified so far.
  • solves the horizon problem (half of which is homogeneity)
  • solves the flatness problem.
  • solves the magnetic monopole problem.
  • spectral index between 0.92 and 0.98.
Citation for the Plank results showing that "universe isn't homogeneous on the largest scales", Michael.

Absolutely and positively false.
Absolutely and positively unable to understand what you read, Michael.
Maybe it is getting late in your day wherever you are :D.
You have never produced any scientific literature about your idea
Michael, can you provide evidence peer-reviewed scientific literature that the following can cause cosmological redshift?
First asked 14th November 2012

And of course inelastic scattering happens in plasma!

Then please show me where in Chen's lab experiments with scattering where he observed blueshift as well as redshift.
First please show me where in Chen's lab experiments where they state that the cause of the redshift was inelastic scattering.

I've ripped on Ned Writes *unpublished* nonsense for years now
You have been in denial of the basic physics described in Ned Wrights *unpublished* science for years now. You seem determined to keep this up.

...usual and irrelevant rants snipped...
Tired light theories in general are invalid.
Errors in Tired Light Cosmology gives a good explanation using clear language.
I may have to ask you if you know what scattering is (i.e. that 100% of particles are never scattered but you can get very close to it!), Michael!
There is a reason why astronomers dismiss inelastic scattering out of hand - they know what scattering is :clap:!
Scattering causes a proportion of incident particle to be scattered. But cosmological redshift is the observation that every detected photon that we see is redshifted. We never see the original spectrum of a redshifted galaxy no matter how close it is to us.
ETA: Michael: Tired light theories predict no detectable redshift through scattering
First pointed out 20th November 2012
And maybe even a couple of more questions are needed since you ignored this:
You put the transition zone at a depth of ~4000 km.
Astronomers put the transition zone between the chromosphere and corona (it is the transition zone between the relative cool chromosphere and the much hotter corona). This is easy to see - block out light from the body of the Sun here on Earth and the gap between the chromosphere and the corona is the transition zone.
Less than 1 photon a year would escape from a depth of ~4000 km .
So according to you, the images taken of the transition zone are impossible.

You assert that images of solar flares that are happening above the photosphere are actually images of "mountain ranges" (as in your web site) forming the surface of the Sun when the original images of solar flares are mathematically processed into running difference images. Mathematics does not transform thin plasma into solid iron!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
It's the speech he gave at the very same conference where he presented his paper on double layers.
http://www.thesurfaceofthesun.com/Alfven/Double%20Layers%20In%20Astrophysics.pdf
I already have a copy of the Double Layers in Astrophysics conference proceedings. Alfven gave the keynote speech and concluding remarks. No sign of a paper from him in the contents. Plenty of references to his papers.

This paper he presented, Michael: What is its title? Where does it appear in the table of contents? What peer-reviewed journal did subsequently publish the paper in?

ETA:
What does your display of hero worship of Alven got to do with plasma physics, Michael :p?

A point about the scientific process: Conference papers are not considered as credible as peer-reviewed paper published in journals. Conferences are basically used to
  • mark your territory, i.e. reduce duplicate effort
  • test out work in progress
  • find out what other people are doing
  • and of course party!
Posters, presentations and papers at conferences are expected to result in actual scientific papers (been there, done that!).
So the question remains

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
I already have a copy of the Double Layers in Astrophysics conference proceedings. Alfven gave the keynote speech and concluding remarks. No sign of a paper from him in the contents. Plenty of references to his papers.

This paper he presented, Michael: What is its title? Where does it appear in the table of contents? What peer-reviewed journal did subsequently publish the paper in?

You're definitely the laziest and/or the most incompetent "skeptic" I've ever met on any subject in cyberspace. Follow the links to the refereed copy of the paper, and you'll find all your answers. Do you even know how to use the ADS search features?

Double layers and circuits in astrophysics

What does your display of hero worship of Alven got to do with plasma physics, Michael :p?

There's nothing 'hero worship' about it. Electricity works. Furthermore, I certainly *do* trust the guy that wrote the book and received the Nobel Prize for plasma physics *more than* I trust some guy on the internet that has *never even read a book on MHD theory*! That's not hero worship, that's common sense. For crying out loud, you apparently can't even use the ADS search features! :doh:

A point about the scientific process: Conference papers are not considered as credible as peer-reviewed paper published in journals.

If you follow that refereed link to his double layer paper, guess where it takes you?

Honestly RC, I've seen lazy skeptics, but you're unbelievable.

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
That paper is not wrong.
Alfven's opinion in his speech was wrong because plasma physics has advanced since then even while essentially ignoring his speech.

You haven't demonstrated his opinion was wrong, and you can't. Even the so called 'experiments' on "reconnection" begin and end with moving charged particles (aka current), typically using an electric field, and sometimes a laser to move the charged particles. All the transfer of energy takes place between charged particles inside of a *double layer*. There is no need for reconnection theory, and it defies the EM field behaviors as we understand them. Magnetic lines are a *human device*. They are not real. Magnetic fields form as a complete and full continuum, not lines. Even when they talk about "lines' as a device in basic EM theory they are said to be without beginning, without ending, without the ability to disconnect from, nor reconnect to any other magnetic lines. There's no such thing as monopole in nature, so all the energy transfer between two flux ropes *necessarily* relates to charged particle movement through a double layer as Alfven *clearly* explained in his double layer paper.

The actual cause of solar flares has changed through human history as people came up with different theories.
Yes, but only Birkeland built himself a working scale model in the lab and used it to *predict* solar flare, solar jets, and both types of high speed charged particles in solar wind.

The observations show that MR is the cause of solar flares
False. They clearly show that electrical discharges are the cause of solar flares. Bruce wrote all about it in the 1950's.

http://www.catastrophism.com/texts/bruce/era.htm

The modern scientific literature demonstrates that Alfven was basically wrong.
Nope. It shows that he was right, including every *actual lab experiment* where a double layer forms between two current carrying filaments in plasma. All the energy comes from the circuit and/or from kinetic energy of the charged particle movement. None of that energy comes from magnetic lines 'disconnecting' or 'reconnecting' to other magnetic lines.

You were an author on those quite crank papers whose contribution looks like the idea that images of solar flares are actually images of iron mountain ranges.
Yawn. Right back to the ad hom nonsense. You're not only a lazy critic, you're a verbally abusive lazy critic that refuses to educate themselves by bothering to read the book on the topic in question. How many years now have you played the role of pseudo-skeptic without reading Cosmic Plasma RC?

You will not - I was a solid state physicist.
Then you have absolutely nothing to offer me as it relates to astronomy.

Sure - you show me a theory that is worth of calling supernatural and I will call it supernatural.
A) Expansion of space (never happens in the lab) - Supernatural
B) Inflation causes space to expand (never happens in the lab) - Supernatural
C) Dark energy causes space to accelerate (never happens in the lab) - Supernatural
D) Long lived exotic matter (not even a hint of such a thing at LHC). - Supernatural

That's four supernatural claims already and Guth's prediction about 'homogeneity' went up in flames in the Planck data, so I'm sure they'll be a fifth supernatural construct any old day now. They just can agree yet on *which* supernatural claim they like the best yet.

But show me a theory based on "I see bunnies in the clouds" logic and "I will deny basic physics" bias and I will call the theory a crank theory and the author a crank.
You'll continue to personally harass me in cyberspace till death do us part apparently. You'll call me names. You'll avoid my tough questions, and you'll continue to make claims you cannot and will not support with anything published. I on the other hand bothered to get my work published. You've never even read a relevant textbook on this topic, so I could care less what you personally think about it.

I even beat spaceweather.com on predicting a glancing blow form that last dark filament eruption, and I accurately described the timeframe in terms of the arrival of the CME at Earth. I've also used my techniques at JREF to "predict' a X-class flares within a 20 minute window from the start of a multiple flare event. My theories work. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Actual electrical discharges are impossible in plasma, etc.
You have *never* provided any published work to support your false assertion and you never will. Run RC, RUN! When will provide us with any author that uses the term "impossible" with respect to electrical discharges is plasma? You never will. It's *impossible* for you do to that because no author ever made such a claim in the whole of human history until you said it.

When we get around to discussing MHD theory.
You've never discussed MHD theory because you can't. You've never read a textbook on the topic, so you're utterly and completely ignorant on the topic - *by choice*. :doh:

When can I expect you to provide me with a paper and quote that uses the term 'impossible' with respect to electrical discharges in plasma?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
The actual cause of solar flares has changed through human history as people came up with different theories. The observations show that MR is the cause of solar flares

The lab where it is always sunny: Researchers recreate precursor to solar flares | Mail Online

Sorry, even laboratory evidence shows solar flares are caused by electric currents, not magnetic reconnection, whatever that is supposed to be. Your own MR theories violate everything known about magnetic fields.

Gauss' Law for Magnetic Fields
"[SIZE=-1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]Magnetic field-lines form closed loops which never begin or end."

Let alone the fact that there no longer exists the convection your theory required to form the magnetic fields your theory needed in the first place to explain the electric current.

Anomalously weak solar convection

Someday maybe you might come to realize it is the electric currents that causes the magnetic field, and has nothing to do with any convection from deep within the sun.

http://arxiv.org/ftp/astro-ph/papers/0611/0611441.pdf

Still wanting to apply
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]magneto-hydrodynamic's to plasma though, so it will be awhile before you finally catch on. I give your scientists 4 years before they run out of Fairie Dust.

Upvote 0

Justatruthseeker

Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2013
Tulsa, OK USA
✟155,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Yes he did. What does the opinion of a dead man stated in a speech decades have to do with the fact that he was basically wrong?

No more than the papers written by E decades ago that are basically wrong.

You rely on a theory that describes only solids, liquids and gasses, and with this theory try to describe the other 99% of the universe, Plasma.

Lo and behold, the math fails utterly. Theories topple one by one, yet in your religious fervor you ignore the facts and instead turn to Fairie Dust.

Galactic rotation curves don't match theory? Why add Fairie Dust and see, all is fine in Big Bang religion.

Incorrect beliefs about redshift make it appear galaxies are receeding at close to fractions of c? A result even mainstream can't stomach, why just add more Fairie Dust in an expanding spacetime composed of absolutely nothing and once again all is fine in Big Bang religion land.

Nevermind the fact that your religious astronomical leaders wouldn't understand plasma science even if they actually read it. You have simply put faith in a religion of Fairie Dust, while continuing to ignore what 99% of the universe really is.

Constantly treating it just like those solids, liquids and gasses it behaves quite unlike. This is why you need all the Fairie Dust, because you refuse to treat Plasma as an electrical active medium, and instead treat it as an electrical neutral medium. As a solid, liquid or a gas, 1% of the universe.

It is your basic premise behind all your theories that is wrong. It is NOT an electrical neutral universe. Theories devised about space before a single probe had been launched.

Electrical "Plasma Arms" of the Coma Galaxy Cluster | Space News - YouTube

The Mystery of Aligned Nebulae | Space News - YouTube

Stop perpetuating the religious myths of yesteryear.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
No more than the papers written by E decades ago that are basically wrong.
...snipped wall of what looks like ignorance or denial of cosmology :sorry:...
Who is E, what papers did E publish and what are is the scientific literature showing that E's papers are wrong, Justatruthseeker?

The "fairy dust", "religion" and other terms make it look like you are ignorant of or in denial of cosmology, Justatruthseeker. If you want to actually discuss cosmology then you need to write coherently and with supported assertion about cosmology. If you have valid points to raise then I would be happy to discuss them.
You may want to read what actual cosmology is about, e.g. Frequently Asked Questions in Cosmology.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
You're definitely the laziest and/or the most incompetent "skeptic" I've ever met on any subject in cyberspace. You cannot even understand what you wrote :D:
It's the speech he gave at the very same conference where he presented his paper on double layers.
http://www.thesurfaceofthesun.com/Alfven/Double%20Layers%20In%20Astrophysics.pdf
(my emphasis added)
Michael:
Where is Alfven's paper in the 1986 conference proceedings?
Follow the link to the conference proceedings and you will find no presentation of this paper or any other paper by Alfven (as far as I can see) at the conference.

Follow the Double layers and circuits in astrophysics link and you will see that the Double Layers in Astrophysics Workshop is part of the publication information. But see above - no presentation at the conference.
That Double layers and circuits in astrophysics paper was certainly published in the IEEE Transactions on Plasma Sciences 9 months after the conference.

What we can conclude from this is that Alfven did not present any papers at the conference. The published paper looks like a more formal version of his keynote speech.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
I see that Michael is continuing with his denial of scientific definitions :)eek:) and science so there is little point in debating him.
The questions remain though:
3rd October 2013
Citation for the Plank results showing that "universe isn't homogeneous on the largest scales", Michael.
2nd October 2013
Have you heard of the logical fallacy of argument from authority, Michael? (Michael's obsession with Alfven as the authority on plasma)
The answer remains no!
2nd October 2013

For everyone else's information:
Michael's iron surface idea completely debunked!
2nd December 2012
That post does not mention his denial of a definition. Astronomers observed that there is a gap between the chromosphere and the corona and called it the transition zone. Michael denies that this gap exists!

Actual electrical discharges are impossible in plasma, etc.
12 November 2012
Michael has still not acknowledged that he knows the difference between solids (a comet nucleus) and plasma and thus one paper he cited is irrelevant.

What Michael is denying in this thread is basic scattering:
Michael: Tired light theories predict no detectable redshift through scattering
20th November 2012
Scattering does not scatter 100% of light and so cannot blue or red shift 100% of light. Cosmological redshift is the observation that 100% of the light we detect from galaxies is redshifted. We never see the original spectral lines of the galaxies.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2012
✟120,483.00
Faith
Atheist
Sorry, that is not what your link says, Justatruthseeker.
They found that two magnetic forces control the behavior of arching loops of plasma, which is hot, ionized gas.

Gauss' Law for Magnetic Fields
"[SIZE=-1][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]Magnetic field-lines form closed loops which never begin or end."[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Do not always trust Wikipedia! That should read:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]"Magnetic field-lines form closed loops which never begin or end for bar magnets"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Gauss' Law for Magnetic Fields means that every magnetic field line entering a region has to have a corresponding magnetic field line leaving that region. It does not say that they have to be the same line.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]It is a common misconception that magnetic field lines cannot break. Knowing two simple facts, Justatruthseeker, clears this misconception:
  1. Where there is no magnetic field there are no magnetic field lines.
  2. It is possible to have a magnetic field configuration where magnetic field lines cross a point where there is no magnetic field (a null point).
The magnetic field configuration is easy to create - just have 2 oppositely flowing currents. Then the field lines form an X shape and cross in the center where there is a null point. Now change the currents a bit. Magnetic field lines sweep over the null point. They break at the null point and reconnect beyond the null point.

That is magnetic field line reconnection and shortened to magnetic reconnection.

Someday maybe you might come to realize it is the electric currents that causes the magnetic field, and has nothing to do with any convection from deep within the sun.
Someday read the science and see that it is the electric currents that causes solar magnetic fields, Justatruthseeker :eek:.
Magnetic fields do have something to do with convection - they effect the viscosity and density of plasmas. This is a thing called plasma physics.
Add an internal heat source and you have convection.

What Anomalously weak solar convection shows is that the theory about solar convection or the computer simulations of solar convection (or both!) are wrong. Astronomers will come up with a better theory or simulations which is how science progresses. There is also a slight possibility that this result is wrong.

What Anomalously weak solar convection also shows is that alternative theories are even worse because they do not even predict any numbers for convection, especially the fantasies at the thunderbolts web site.[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Upvote 0

Michael

Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Mt. Shasta, California
Visit site
✟298,148.00
Faith
Christian
What we can conclude from this is that Alfven did not present any papers at the conference. The published paper looks like a more formal version of his keynote speech.

:doh::doh:

No. What you *should* have concluded is that Alfven knew a whole lot more about plasma physics than you do, and his paper *was* published. Have you even read a book yet on MHD theory RC?

This was the question you asked me.

I answered it for you too:

Double layers and circuits in astrophysics

Whereas Alfven published *more than a hundred* papers related to plasma physics and astronomy, you've published a total of zero!

Get a life already and go finds someone else to stalk on the internet RC.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.