Are women unhappier than men...

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Most people who claim to be feminists are not. No man can be a feminist unless he is suicidal.
Well, you don´t happen to be the arbiter of definitions. Your private terminology has little bearing on the positions real self-professing feminists hold.
So, essentially, you end up speaking to yourself when you aren´t willing to recognize what people mean when they label themselves.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Gloria Stienem, Jill Ireland, Robin Morgan et al, are NOT fringe people. They were the editors and leaders of MS Magazine and the National Organization for Women (NOW) which were the main voices of Feminism in the 1970s and 80s.

Basically this. The extreme voices were also in positions of authority. All the feminists-aren't-like-that-no-really feminists are usually rank and file drones.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
I have. There are a segment of feminists who are trying to pass a narative that the atheist community has a huge sexism problem regarding women.

Yes, which has about the same coherence and validity as do the circulating claims that the gaming community has a huge sexism problem, the tech community has a huge sexism problem.

Just feminists sticking their agenda in where it's not wanted, basically. Disagree or challenge it and You Are A Misogynist.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
Yea...I think I've read some of the feminists on there. Don't they also have some who believe that even consensual sex with a man is rape? Or that marriage to a man is slavery?

Those fringe feminists give all feminists a bad name. Then again, it would be wrong IMO to judge them all by the crazy beliefs of a few.

They are fringe, but at the point of schism one of the operators of FTB, PZ Myers, was considered a fairly important voice in movement atheism.

Relative to movement atheism, their influence has been somewhat disruptive. But it's laughable to say that the rantings of a bunch of discredited loons mean atheism has a sexism problem, and it's even more laughable to have that claimed by Christians, whose organisations are far larger, older, and more entrenchedly sexist.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I suppose that this is more psychology and sociology than ethics/morality, but this is the only forum I know to bring it up in.

Please don't ask for "evidence" or "sources"--I am working 2 jobs now, therefore I don't have the energy. I am sure that with a few keystrokes within Google you will find such things yourself--and be more alert than me. Anyway,...

I. Women are unhappier than men, studies show.

II. Men commit suicide at rates that far exceed women's rates in almost every country, it seems is a well-known fact.

Therefore, could it be that a higher percentage of women than men report being unhappy not because of struggling to balance work and family, higher rates of poverty, etc., but because a lot of the unhappy men have killed themselves?
Its an interesting topic. I have had a little insight into this as part of my job as a community worker has been to setup a mens group for our local community. So of course there has been a bit of research. It does appear at least in Australia that men suffer more from depression and suicide with men making up 80% of all suicide deaths. The highest suicide rate is for men between 35 years to 44 years but also men between 15 and 24 have high rates as well.

I know there has been some campaigns to make men aware of depression and that there is help. Some well known celebs have come out to admit that they have and still have difficulties in dealing with depression. I think drug abuse is often mixed with depression and some can lose their lives by overdoses or just not caring and wasting away. But overall depression and suicide has been a growing modern problem. According to the world health authority a person commits suicide every 40 seconds somewhere in the world.

The World Health Organization estimates that each year approximately one million people die from suicide 1. Based on these figures someone somewhere in the world, commits suicide every 40 seconds. The WHO predict that by 2020 the rate of death will increase to one every 20 seconds.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lorna-byrne/each-and-every-suicide-di_b_1420505.html?ir=Australia

In a time when you would think people have more things to make them happy more and more are not finding any happiness in this world and opting out of this life. Soon suicide will be the number one cause of death. Why.

Upvote 0

Lizdirect

Sep 3, 2015
✟7,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The truth of the matter is, anyone, whether male or female that does not truly experience Jesus is going to be unhappy in life. Yes, one can get a jolt of happiness from the purchase of a new car, new home, lost of money, etc. but these types of happiness only last for just few hours after which emptiness in the soul takes over. You see, there is a vacuum in all humans that only God/Jesus can fill in order for anyone to be truly happy in life. You can get more information about this true happiness at this site: http://www.lizdirect.com/gods_solutions. God set life on earth up that way.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟248,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The truth of the matter is, anyone, whether male or female that does not truly experience Jesus is going to be unhappy in life. Yes, one can get a jolt of happiness from the purchase of a new car, new home, lost of money, etc. but these types of happiness only last for just few hours after which emptiness in the soul takes over. You see, there is a vacuum in all humans that only God/Jesus can fill in order for anyone to be truly happy in life. You can get more information about this true happiness at this site: http://www.lizdirect.com/gods_solutions. God set life on earth up that way.
Yes this is true. Its the stone that the builders rejected that is the actual foundation stone that can give life in its fullness. The thing is people have lost faith. This world has infiltrated peoples souls and taken over. They dont trust anything unless they can see the benefits. And the benefits normally have to be what will satisfy them first. There are so many things coming at people left, right and center and unless you know God through Jesus then you wont see it coming.

Its fools gold and it can be very deceptive. It can even take the look of seeming good for you but its still not going to be the answer in the end. This is why so many put their trust in these things and think they have found the answers only to be let down. No wonder so many feel that this world is just not worth hanging around for. If only people knew that there is true life right in front of them to have for free.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know I'll get flack for this but.... women seem to be unhappier ever since the more extreme version of feminism has come into play. Unlike old feminism, this new version teaches that men are scum and no man really wants to be a gentleman, its all a trick to fool the woman. So because of this they can't find a good man because they either think they don't exist or they pick apart every man so it leaves them with nobody. So they end up unhappy. And I notice more and more are becoming more into other women now. As for christian women... well feminism has infiltrated some of them too. As it is many women (and men) have extremely long lists of who they want as a spouse. So when you throw in feminism, it makes that list pretty much impossible to find a good man. Instead of relying on God to find love they rely on lists and views from outside Christianity. Now when it comes to men, I think they can be unhappy to because of this new feminism. It makes them feel like no matter how hard they try, women are so different now and demanding that they lose interest in wanting to be with anyone. Hence causing depression and in some cases suicide.

In general christian or not, feminist or not, America is going down the tubes and people are becoming unhappy. Its far from how the country used to be. I'm glad I found someone overseas who has the values americans used to. I see why many men look overseas now for a wife. BTW I should mention maybe thats the other reason women are unhappy. Because of their views, they get jealous that mean would rather marry someone foreign then someone american. I know first hand that its true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I know I'll get flack for this but.... women seem to be unhappier ever since the more extreme version of feminism has come into play. Unlike old feminism, this new version teaches that men are scum and no man really wants to be a gentleman, its all a trick to fool the woman. So because of this they can't find a good man because they either think they don't exist or they pick apart every man so it leaves them with nobody. So they end up unhappy. And I notice more and more are becoming more into other women now. As for christian women... well feminism has infiltrated some of them too. As it is many women (and men) have extremely long lists of who they want as a spouse. So when you throw in feminism, it makes that list pretty much impossible to find a good man. Instead of relying on God to find love they rely on lists and views from outside Christianity. Now when it comes to men, I think they can be unhappy to because of this new feminism. It makes them feel like no matter how hard they try, women are so different now and demanding that they lose interest in wanting to be with anyone. Hence causing depression and in some cases suicide.

In general christian or not, feminist or not, America is going down the tubes and people are becoming unhappy. Its far from how the country used to be. I'm glad I found someone overseas who has the values americans used to. I see why many men look overseas now for a wife. BTW I should mention maybe thats the other reason women are unhappy. Because of their views, they get jealous that mean would rather marry someone foreign then someone american. I know first hand that its true.
You start by trying to explain why women are unhappy, but the further I read the more it became a rant why men (i.e. men like you) are unhappy with the women.

Upvote 0

SuperCloud

Sep 8, 2014
✟3,725.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Feminist = someone who thinks men and women should have equal rights.

That would be egalitarian, which feminism isn't. Feminist stood militantly against "Roe for Men." Feminism is about female superiority by ways of reducing all female responsibility.

Feminist are fine with male suicide rates, in fact they could care less if it blew through the roof. Unless of course, it involved Bruce Jenner and his fellow sisters, due to the fact feminist have taken it upon themselves to be the grand Popes who only have the right to pontificate to little boys (and grown men) as to what "men" are--by what traits and beliefs qualifies one as a man.

The have enough Adams' scurrying to bite into the apple they hold. But let a boy or man dare state what a girl or woman is and feminist will flip their lids.

That's not "equality."

There's a reason homosexual men are "gay" and heterosexual men aren't. LOL!!!!

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You start by trying to explain why women are unhappy, but the further I read the more it became a rant why men (i.e. men like you) are unhappy with the women.
I'm just stating facts. I'm happily married to someone overseas so I have no reason to rant. I'm just thankful not to be with an american woman. And yes I realize not all women are like that in america.

And that's, again, huge strawman. Try asking actual feminists instead of making up your own definitions.
Strathos are you a woman? If so I assume feminist? See the problem is you to are making your own definitions and backing it up by saying "Ask feminists". Well I have actually done so and read online from feminists. Feminists from the original movements. From when they were about equal rights. And if you ask them, most dislike those new generation of feminists. They call them extremists that make the original idea of feminism look bad. Alot of the extreme ones tend to be same sex/bisexual. Or they have hate issues towards men....etc. One couple I knew who happen to be same sex partners abused our friends son while watching him because they didn't like little boys because of quote "What they grow into!"

Are all new generation feminists like that? Of course not. But only the extreme ones seem to be making it in the news and online. And sadly the ones with the old views feel awkward to even mention they are feminists for fear of being considered part of the extreme gen.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I am pretty sure that I was not reading a Ross Douthat column. But the study that he refers to here may have been what I was reading about:

"In the 1960s, when Betty Friedan diagnosed her fellow wives and daughters as the victims of “the problem with no name,” American women reported themselves happier, on average, than did men. Today, that gender gap has reversed. Male happiness has inched up, and female happiness has dropped. In postfeminist America, men are happier than women.

This is “The Paradox of Declining Female Happiness,” the subject of a provocative paper from the economists Betsey Stevenson and Justin Wolfers. The paper is fascinating not only because of what it shows, but because the authors deliberately avoid floating an easy explanation for their data..."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In self reporting studies, this is very valid.

Men have a tendency to keep emotions and feelings to themselves and will state; everything is ok, when it isn't. Women, not so much.

If women behaved in A way in 1975 when being studied and men behaved in B way, and if women behave in A way in 2015 when being studied and men behave in B way, then that means that with such tendencies being kept constant men are reporting being happy more and women are reporting being happy less. In other words, the way that women behave when being studied and the way that men behave when being studied is constant (at least that is what some of the responses in this thread seem to assert), yet the outcomes have changed. Behavior when being studied does not explain anything.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you aren't doing the same? How do you know your view is right? My opinion was formed over time after observing, reading up...etc. Most people would agree with my facts. Are you a woman by chance? Or a man? Going by your post history it looks like you tend to argue with everyone and in every situation claim you only know what your talking about. So no point in talking to people who feel they are always right.

Upvote 0

Gadarene

-______-
Apr 16, 2012
London
✟75,247.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Labour
So you aren't doing the same? How do you know your view is right? My opinion was formed over time after observing, reading up...etc. Most people would agree with my facts. Are you a woman by chance? Or a man? Going by your post history it looks like you tend to argue with everyone and in every situation claim you only know what your talking about. So no point in talking to people who feel they are always right.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. When your negative opinion of feminism comes from reading the words of actual feminists great and small and not liking them, then you're "strawmanning."

Upvote 0