Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I suppose that this is more psychology and sociology than ethics/morality, but this is the only forum I know to bring it up in.

Please don't ask for "evidence" or "sources"--I am working 2 jobs now, therefore I don't have the energy. I am sure that with a few keystrokes within Google you will find such things yourself--and be more alert than me. Anyway,...

I. Women are unhappier than men, studies show.

II. Men commit suicide at rates that far exceed women's rates in almost every country, it seems is a well-known fact.

Therefore, could it be that a higher percentage of women than men report being unhappy not because of struggling to balance work and family, higher rates of poverty, etc., but because a lot of the unhappy men have killed themselves?

Last edited:

JaapAap

Aug 16, 2015
Arnhem, Holland
✟1,154.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I suppose that this is more psychology and sociology than ethics/morality, but this is the only forum I know to bring it up in.

Please don't ask for "evidence" or "sources"--I am working 2 jobs now, therefore I don't have the energy. I am sure that with a few keystrokes within Google you will find such things yourself--and be more alert than me. Anyway,...

II. Men commit suicide at rates that far exceed women's rates in almost every country, it seems is a well-known fact.

Therefore, could it be that a higher percentage of women than men report being unhappy not because of struggling to balance work and family, higher rates of poverty, etc., but because a lot of the unhappy men kill themselves?
No women just don't succeed I think. A man takes a gun and a woman some pills. I read that somewhere.
http://www.livescience.com/45061-depression-differs-men-women-symptoms.html

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker

Therefore, could it be that a higher percentage of women than men report being unhappy not because of struggling to balance work and family, higher rates of poverty, etc., but because a lot of the unhappy men have killed themselves?
No, that wouldn´t make much sense.
The suicide rate e.g. in the USA: around 12 in 100.000 - i.e. 0,01% per anno. Even if we assume that the suicide rate in males is twice as high (0,02% per anno), and if we assume that each of these guys is married and his wife´s unhappiness is caused by his suicide, this would mean:
Your hypothesis, at best, applies to 0,02% of all women.
Since these are per anno rates, let´s further be generous and assume the duration of a marriage be 50 years.
Your hypothesis, at best, applies to 1% of all women.
This is a completely insignificant factor for determining what causes the unhappiness of women in general.

(Hope I got the math right. It´s not my forte.)

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

Good question. You should be writing a thesis on this for a doctorate degree.

Upvote 0

asherahSamaria

Oct 19, 2013
✟16,390.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Conservative
Given how most religions tend to treat women as subservient to men - I'd like to see a crosstabs of women's happiness against a religiosity indicator of the country. That would be quite interesting I think.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟320,844.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think this is probably due to women being more likely to admit they are unhappy.

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner.

All I have to add is expressing, but not dwelling upon, unhappiness is apt to reduce the chances of a drastic solution like suicide. That women complain and in so doing unload the unhappiness may contribute to a lower suicide rate for women. Our society discourages such unloading by men.

Reactions: Cearbhall
Upvote 0

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married

Maybe women are more accepting of a certain level of unhappiness and have lower expectations for happiness than men do?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think this is probably due to women being more likely to admit they are unhappy.

I think this is a big part of it...

In terms of the other differences, men or more likely (statistically) to take life than women in general.

Males commit over 90% of the homicides in this country.
Women make up over 70% of the patients who seek counseling.

In a nutshell, to me, that means... Women are more likely to want to talk about their problems, Men are more likely to want to act on them.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe women are more accepting of a certain level of unhappiness and have lower expectations for happiness than men do?

Another aspect that has to be considered is that society puts more pressure on men to be successful, than it puts on women in certain realms.

For a woman, she can be treated with a equitable measure of respect by her peers and the opposite gender whether she's a ----stay at home mom,
-a trophy wife,
-or successful business woman.

For men, respect by the peers and opposite sex typically only happens for the last item on that list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lisah

Humanist with Christian Heritage
Oct 3, 2003
✟15,168.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Another aspect that has to be considered is that society puts more pressure on men to be successful, than it puts on women in certain realms.

For a woman, she can be treated with a equitable measure of respect by her peers and the opposite gender whether she's a ----stay at home mom,
-a trophy wife,
-or successful business woman.

For men, respect by the peers and opposite sex typically only happens for the last item on that list.

Maybe women have better support systems than men?

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,204,856.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Maybe women have better support systems than men?

I don't know if support systems really play that much of a factor in terms of the societal aspects I was referring to. Or, I guess you could look at it as society's view on matters is their support system.

If a woman doesn't work, and is a stay at home wife, most people aren't going to think anything of it or treat her any differently as a result. If a man stayed home all day and lived off of his wife, he'd get the label of "loser" or "deadbeat"

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,574.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Google and a few keystrokes has shown your premise false....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghanc...n-are-happier-than-men-testosterone-to-blame/

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Yes, suicide is the ultimate measure of unhappiness..

The vast majority of slaves did not commit suicide, which must mean they were alright... lol.

I think more women report being unhappy because they on average have higher rates of internal empathy than men. While men are not sociopathic, I believe hardships on life tend to more easily slide off their backs than they do for women. Men tend to not let sadness develop into something pathological.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Given how most religions tend to treat women as subservient to men - I'd like to see a crosstabs of women's happiness against a religiosity indicator of the country. That would be quite interesting I think.

And yet atheists are some of the most sexist people around that it's even become a stereotype.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And yet atheists are some of the most sexist people around that it's even become a stereotype.

Or we are just unfairly being branded sexists by deranged feminists. Lol..

Upvote 0