USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do Christians believe the stories of the bible actually happened? Stories such as the tower of babble, Noah’s Ark, Jonah and the Whale/fish, the story of Job etc. Do Christians believe these things really happened or are they just stories designed to make a point.

Ken

Real as real can be and more. Many miracles are not recorded and much less believed if told. I am one Christian with about 20 miracles or more over my life time. There are about one billion Christians out there, now. Over the past 2,000 years, there are still more and most likely many more times the miracles. How could you believe otherwise, unless of course you had no faith to begin with? Believing helps miracles to happen from God. Why. God is real, why not.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do Christians believe the stories of the bible actually happened? Stories such as the tower of babble, Noah’s Ark, Jonah and the Whale/fish, the story of Job etc. Do Christians believe these things really happened or are they just stories designed to make a point.

Ken

Both.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Real as real can be and more. Many miracles are not recorded and much less believed if told. I am one Christian with about 20 miracles or more over my life time. There are about one billion Christians out there, now. Over the past 2,000 years, there are still more and most likely many more times the miracles. How could you believe otherwise, unless of course you had no faith to begin with? Believing helps miracles to happen from God. Why. God is real, why not.
Thanx for the reply. But the question was not weather or not you believe in miracles, but are the stories of the bible real! Did God intervene when some people attempted to build a tower up to Heaven? Did God and Satan have a wager concerning the faith of Job? Did a man really sit in the belly of a fish for 3 days without any air supply? etc.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yup. The Tower in Genesis 11 is actually a continuation of the genealogies in chapter 10. That is unless you find genealogies unbelievable as well, because they'd have to be thrown out together.

There are massive amounts of evidence for the flood, and I can point you to several scientists who regularly teach on the subject, such as Dr. Rick Oliver and Dr. A.E. Wilder-Smith. An internet search should bring their work up for you, and they can be found for free on various podcasts in iTunes.

Later, Jonah tells us of a man who was swallowed by a fish, had his flesh corroded and bleached in the stomach of the fish for three days, then goes into the great Assyrian city of Nineveh and preaches God's judgment. Why did they listen to him? Because this was a man who survived the fish, proving his God to be a greater diety than their god, the fish god Dagon. So, when the king heard of the man who was greater than the great fish, preaching their destruction, he reacts as expected, he calls the people to humble themselves, repent and fast in hopes of being spared, which they were.

As it turns out, Jonah being in that fish was a necessary part of their repentance. God knew Jonah would run and be cast off a ship for his efforts, and scripture tells us He "prepared" a fish specifically for this purpose. It wasn't just any old fish, but a particular chosen fish.

A century later, Nahum goes back there with the same message, but no fish encounter. He was ignored, and the city was destroyed as a result.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If these stories actually happened, why would God do such things?
*Why would God intervene in foolish men attempting to build a tower to Heaven? If he left them alone the tower would eventually come to a point, or the air would become so thin they would fail anyway
*If Satan is aware that God knows everything, and God only speaks the truth, when Satan approached God concerning Job, all God would had to do is tell Satan that he can’t sway Job and Satan would know that is the truth and the conversation would be over. So why did God entertain this wager which lead to the suffering of an innocent man and the death of his children?
*If Noah’s Ark is real, how did all those Kangaroos and Kola Bears get from the Mt Arak (in turkey) to Australia without leaving a trail? If God had the key to the Ark once afloat so nobody could get in, wouldn’t that mean animal waste couldn’t get out? Disease would have been ramped!

Don’t’ some of these bible stories sound rather unrealistic?
If these stories never happened; are just designed to make a point, how do you tell fact from fiction in the Bible?

Ken

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yup. The Tower in Genesis 11 is actually a continuation of the genealogies in chapter 10. That is unless you find genealogies unbelievable as well, because they'd have to be thrown out together.

Genealogies don't sound unrealistic, just the Tower part.

There are massive amounts of evidence for the flood, and I can point you to several scientists who regularly teach on the subject, such as Dr. Rick Oliver and Dr. A.E. Wilder-Smith. An internet search should bring their work up for you, and they can be found for free on various podcasts in iTunes.
Where did all the water go? In order for enough water to cover the entire planet to the highest mountain, that would be more water than can be absorbed in the ground! that would be at least 5 times the amount of water currently on earth, and how did the salt water separate from the clear water? If the entire world was covered in water, the salt water from the sea would be mixed in with the water from the lakes, don't cha think?
Does this really sound realistic to you

Ken

Upvote 0

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thanx for the reply. But the question was not weather or not you believe in miracles, but are the stories of the bible real! Did God intervene when some people attempted to build a tower up to Heaven? Did God and Satan have a wager concerning the faith of Job? Did a man really sit in the belly of a fish for 3 days without any air supply? etc.

yes, yes, ...

When you start doubting one for a particular reason, then faith is infected with doubt. Will one unbelievable miracle start you down a path logical doubt. My father's body and auto when through another person and their auto (star trek fanasty like), should I doubt it happened, even though I was a part of it. I believe and perhaps more than not believe as well. When miracles happen to Christians, the Bible is real as can be. Why would it be otherwise? Logic tells me that when two bodies collide things happen, but God allowed nothing to happen, in fact he personally held the cars with occupants in them so that nothing would happen and turned off their motors. This isn't that rare of an event. Something similar happened at a different time with me. What makes it more believable is that it was God's choosing, for I and my father were not good Christians, we were sinners. God allows for sinners to have miracles? It only makes my faith & belief stronger to know that He cares.

How does a large number of animals fit into a boat? That is God's problem and not mine, or logic's or the world's. Do you believe that he can handle it? Of course you do, and so does millions of Christians. What you might be saying is God the God of Truth or of parables for some strange reason? Miracles in my life and millions of others are not parables. Everything has its place. Miracles are miracles and teaching parables are just that.

You might wonder why man was set on a sized tower to be engineered to reach beyond the clouds (at least a mile wide base?) Why didn't God just let man be foolish in doing so. What is hard to understand is how could the world have just one language. Let me ask, bringing the Bible to us wasn't directly from God, man had to write it, translate it, copy it and somewhat understand it, besides that: the accounts of events seen by different believers who help write it would naturally have different points of views. So when the word "world" is used, was it the land around the event or was it a global event? I know that God knows the answer, why would I be tempting myself to know something that I only rely upon him in faith to know? Confusing? I know that there is but one truth that he knows, I know that he can do anything and that all that is written was written in faithful honesty, even the later copies, translations, witnessing, and etc. I don't need the support of logic, reasoning, proofs or eye witnessing. Loving God is loving him as he knows and knows best. I do believe that all things happened and for a good reason, as they still do today. Have a great day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Where did all the water go? In order for enough water to cover the entire planet to the highest mountain, that would be more water than can be absorbed in the ground! that would be at least 5 times the amount of water currently on earth, and how did the salt water separate from the clear water? If the entire world was covered in water, the salt water from the sea would be mixed in with the water from the lakes, don't cha think?

Ken

What might help you is to control your lusts and selfish interests and seek being a holy person and good helpful soul. You must come to realize that you do sin and do lust. This will open the door towards a pathway of help. The miracles are part of faith. Noticed how each miracle came to a man of faith or those who cried out for faith. Knowing who you are starts the ball rolling. If you can not see a need to be a holy good soul who loves and cares for others (not like hypocritical Christians), and need God and salvation then how can you believe in Jesus, miracles, the Bible, God or good for that matter?

Being utterly lost and a sinner and realizing it, helps. Not being bad helps, but more so does seeking God and Jesus' help and salvation to get out of your shameful life. I am wondering whether seeing God takes seeing yourself first?!

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
yes, yes, ...

When you start doubting one for a particular reason, then faith is infected with doubt. Will one unbelievable miracle start you down a path logical doubt.
Actually my path of doubt had nothing to do with miracle's; but that is a different story.

How does a large number of animals fit into a boat? That is God's problem and not mine, or logic's or the world's. .
Actually the miracles aren't so much the issue, it's just that the actions of God doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why would God kill eveybody except of a few if he knew it wouldn't fix anything? From those few that were spared, sin still florished, and today it is bad as ever! Seems to me he should have brought those few to Heaven where they wouldn't sin anymore because as along as humans are allowed to live here on Earth, we gonna sin! Right??? So what was the point of killing all those people?

K

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If these stories actually happened, why would God do such things?

Who would know the mind of God when these things happened outside of what the bible records?

*Why would God intervene in foolish men attempting to build a tower to Heaven?
The word for "heaven" in the Hebrew in this instance does not mean the residence of God it speaks to the sky.

If he left them alone the tower would eventually come to a point, or the air would become so thin they would fail anyway
And yet "man" speaking the same language would be free to accomplish perhaps something before "we" or the world was ready for it.

Gen 10:5 (F)The LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. 6 The LORD said, “Behold, they are one people, and they all have [d](G)the same language. And this is what they began to do, and now nothing which they purpose to do will be [e]impossible for them. 7 Come, (H)let Us go down and there (I)confuse their [f]language, so that they will not understand one another’s [g]speech.” 8 So the LORD (J)scattered them abroad from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city.

The "story" was not about the tower. It was about slowing down the progression of man.

*If Satan is aware that God knows everything, and God only speaks the truth, when Satan approached God concerning Job, all God would had to do is tell Satan that he can’t sway Job and Satan would know that is the truth and the conversation would be over.
If satan respected God's knowledge yes.

So why did God entertain this wager which lead to the suffering of an innocent man and the death of his children?
For the rest of us. Not all will be spared trials and tribulation. When those of us go through those types of trials it is easy to think God has forsaken us. I did not loose what Job did, but I did loose everything I had in my world a few times.
I can say What Job went through Helped me, and only the Lord knows how many others.

Again Job did not suffer for satan or God's amusement. Job suffered for the rest of us seeking the audience with God Job found. This man and his life has become a road map for all who seek what he eventually found.

*If Noah’s Ark is real, how did all those Kangaroos and Kola Bears get from the Mt Arak (in turkey) to Australia without leaving a trail?
The same way Man was "spread" after the tower in Gen 10

If God had the key to the Ark once afloat so nobody could get in, wouldn’t that mean animal waste couldn’t get out? Disease would have been ramped!
So you can accept that God has a man a couple hundred years old build a boat big enough to reseed the world.. Call all of the animals together provide for them for a very long time, but get hung up on the disease?
Couldn't God who provided for the Ark and it's passengers also protect from sickness?

-Or- Maybe that is why we no longer have pixies dragons and unicorns anymore.. (they didn't get their shots before embarking):D

Don’t’ some of these bible stories sound rather unrealistic?
Only to those who believe that their understanding of reality is the standard in which the universe, and all contained in it revolves.
to me to think the universe revolves around you, me or any one person or their understanding is what is "unrealistic."

If these stories never happened; are just designed to make a point, how do you tell fact from fiction in the Bible?
These "stories" have at least two lessons to teach. The moral or lesson the story teaches or records, and they are all ultimately a testament to the humility required to approach God as a child. (Which is a requirement for the believer)

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What might help you is to control your lusts and selfish interests and seek being a holy person and good helpful soul. You must come to realize that you do sin and do lust. This will open the door towards a pathway of help. The miracles are part of faith. Noticed how each miracle came to a man of faith or those who cried out for faith. Knowing who you are starts the ball rolling. If you can not see a need to be a holy good soul who loves and cares for others (not like hypocritical Christians), and need God and salvation then how can you believe in Jesus, miracles, the Bible, God or good for that matter?

Being utterly lost and a sinner and realizing it, helps. Not being bad helps, but more so does seeking God and Jesus' help and salvation to get out of your shameful life. I am wondering whether seeing God takes seeing yourself first?!
I will put my morals and my ethics up against anybody's; yours included.

Ken

Upvote 0

Stephen Kendall

believer of Jesus Christ
Sep 28, 2008
USA
✟9,673.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ken

I have no problem believing in miracles. I guess it is because of the greatest miracle of them all: seeing your sin and transforming into a child of God. I always tell people that the miracles that they think are huge or they don't believe in are nothing to God. The real miracle that even him and his angels are amazed at is the transformation of an evil hearted soul into a child of God. Maybe that is why so many Christians were once very evil and yet they are very good strong believers and followers of Jesus. Their faith is strong because like myself knew how bad they were, when God still cared and loved them. To know yourself is indeed a greater miracle than anyother. You need to know yourself and see if you want to be a child of God. If you convert from the world to Him, then you will have experienced the greatest miracle that you can. The others will only be a piece of cake. Have a wonderful day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Many Christians have an understanding of the Bible now that while some of the stories of the Bible have some ties to actual history, a lot of value is lost by fixating upon the historical aspects of any story, rather than looking for why these stories were deemed important and wise in the first place.
The Tower of Babel story, for example, speaks of a constant in human nature where people try to build a name for themselves, and regain a little immortality for themselves through these collective technological efforts. They over-identify with their collective creativity, and the marvels built for the sake of building a name for themselves, which is not what God desires for us.

Instead, God reaches out to us at an individual level, and not to any nameless numbers in the collective group. Collective efforts, where one makes a name for themselves through great projects leads to systems like the Soviet Union and North Korea, where collective pride is all there is, and the individuals are all expendable, cannot be our future.

Moral choice always takes place at the level of the individual level, and it is from here that God wants us to make our names for ourselves. He does want us to fulfill our desire for immortality by over-identifying with our creative impulses, like Cain and the builders at Babel had done. Instead he want us to build our name through doing good, like Abraham did, where he attempted to build up the name of his dead brother through his marriage to his niece Sarah, where he tried to keep the name of his dead brother alive through creating children with Sarah.

For some Christians, most definitely the miraculous is what is the big draw of the bible stories, and it is in these miracles that they draw inspiration for their faith. However, the more that one delves into the deeper meanings behind the text, the intent that inspired the stories in the first place becomes clearer and clearer, and the fantastical and the miraculous no longer contain the same importance as they once might have.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ken if God was "thinking" as you and me would He be still God? or god? If He is of higher intelligence how can we understand Him FULLY? We either be also Gods or he has to be god...of our own imagination... We know what is 'revealed' we just do not know what is NOT. We find the truth in his covenant we trust HIM thus we believe HIM.

Your starting point is that you trust yourself to find the Truth... While Christ said I AM the Truth ;)

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I have no problem believing in miracles. I guess it is because of the greatest miracle of them all: seeing your sin and transforming into a child of God. I always tell people that the miracles that they think are huge or they don't believe in are nothing to God. The real miracle that even him and his angels are amazed at is the transformation of an evil hearted soul into a child of God. Maybe that is why so many Christians were once very evil and yet they are very good strong believers and followers of Jesus. Their faith is strong because like myself knew how bad they were, when God still cared and loved them. To know yourself is indeed a greater miracle than anyother. You need to know yourself and see if you want to be a child of God. If you convert from the world to Him, then you will have experienced the greatest miracle that you can. The others will only be a piece of cake. Have a wonderful day.

I agree with this answer. Ordinary live is in itself a miracle, that no longer seems to be a miracle, only because familiar things eventually get taken for granted.
But to get a glimpse into our own human nature, and what our Creator, who exists at the level of ultimate goodness, actually wants for us, can lead to a transformation from evil to good that is much more miraculous and magical than any pulling of a rabbit out of hat, or any extraordinary event ever could be.
Bible stories can give us a glimpse into who we really are, into our own fallen human nature, and also into the kind of person that God wants us to be. Like when the angel asks Hagar, "where are you, and where are you going", knowing the answers to those questions on a spiritual level can make all the difference in the world for us.

Upvote 0

Philothei

Love never fails
Nov 4, 2006
Northeast, USA
✟68,179.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Actually the miracles aren't so much the issue, it's just that the actions of God doesn't seem to make sense to me. Why would God kill eveybody except of a few if he knew it wouldn't fix anything? From those few that were spared, sin still florished, and today it is bad as ever! Seems to me he should have brought those few to Heaven where they wouldn't sin anymore because as along as humans are allowed to live here on Earth, we gonna sin! Right??? So what was the point of killing all those people?

K

You also see "saving men" in a rather humanistic sense of cost of life.... When Christ says he 'saves us" He means He gives us life eternal. "for what can profit a man if he gains all treasures and looses his soul"(paraphrasing here of course) so what does it mean if God allows for some to die... They will not die as in Him they will find life everlasting. And I am sure based on the Beatitudes all the ones who are suffering have found favor with God.

So to say that to die is the ultimate evil one is not in tune with what God is all about or the after life... If we do not believe thus we do not know God... If we want to know God we need to believe FIRST. We cannot know God by intellectualizing about Him. We know God by establishing a relationship with Him as His people did and so many after that. As the Apostles did and all His followers. If we deny Him right off the start we cannot cry out foul when we seem to be empty handed....

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Ken-1122 said:

Ken

Different stories are different things. Some are close to what we think of as historical accounts. At the other extreme some are close to what we think of as fiction - eg Job.
Some are parabolic history. A neat mini example is in 2 Samuel. In chapter 12 Nathan tells a story. His telling is a parabolic telling of what is told in factual terms in chapter 11. Nathan's story is about something that actually happened, but Nathan's telling is far from being a literal telling of that event.

A lot of the time we don't need to decide how historically precise OT stories are - fixating on that misses their significance. For instance it matters that God gave his people the land - not whether the story of the fall of Jericho is a literal or parabolic telling of that fact.

Everything in Genesis' prologue (up to about chapter 11) is pretty much parabolic in various forms, but after then much of it isn't black- or - white. With exceptions like Job and Jonah which are definitely non-historical.

Last edited:
Upvote 0