Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Very disappointed they didn't zoom in on the spec. IMHO they have proved nothing.

Apollo Landing Sites Spotted by Lunar Orbiter

Reading the article, they say more pictures will be taken in coming days as the probe gets closer to the moon's surface. I'd like to see the Apollo 14 site picture, the article states that you can see the scientific equipment as well as some footprints. It should be interesting to see the pictures as they are released.

As for proving anything, I don't think any of the people who think the moon landing was a hoax would believe any pictures. Rather, I'm sure they'll try to claim that these images were faked on Earth and preloaded into the probe to send back to Earth at the preset times.

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

“Seek peace, and pursue it. (Proverbs 34:14)”
Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I for one don't believe we landed on the moon, so you are right with thinking no matter what pics they show, won't turn me into a believer.

Many yrs ago, I watched a show on the Discovery Channel, it was something like "Did we really land on the moon". They pointed out a lot of things that made me question the moon landing.

Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I for one don't believe we landed on the moon, so you are right with thinking no matter what pics they show, won't turn me into a believer.
So...no matter what proof is presented you wont change your opinion? :confused:

Many yrs ago, I watched a show on the Discovery Channel, it was something like "Did we really land on the moon". They pointed out a lot of things that made me question the moon landing.
And even if they answered those questions you still wouldn't believe we landed on the moon? :scratch:
tulc(thinks that sounds like a religious belief not an interest in knowing the truth) :wave:

Upvote 0

7thKeeper

Scion of the Devonian Sea
Jul 8, 2006
Finland
✟108,531.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Now I have a sudden urge to watch the Mythbusters episode where they bust up the moon landing conspiracies.

But seriously Guidance, it doesn't look good when you plainly state that whatever proof is put in front of you, you won't accept it. Especially if you are backing up your opinion with a piece from the Discovery Channel.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

AirPo

with a Touch of Grey
Oct 31, 2003
✟169,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Now I have a sudden urge to watch the Mythbusters episode where they bust up the moon landing conspiracies.

But seriously Guidance, it doesn't look good when you plainly state that whatever proof is put in front of you, you won't accept it. Especially if you are backing up your opinion with a piece from the Discovery Channel.
Isn't Mythbusters a Discovery Channel show?

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
I've never understood why one would refuse what we humans are capable of in accomploshing such feats, and pretty sad to be honest. If you believe in Moses crossing the Red Sea, then what makes the moon landing so impossible?

I found this site interesting. He talks about a show Fox did that was basically someone one of those that don't believe in the moon landings giving his claims. This person goes through the various claims and shows why they are false.

What I find rather funny, one of the major contributors (in terms of the theories) to the show, Bill Kaysing, was called a "kook" by Jim Lovell (known for being an astronaut on the Apollo 8 and 13 missions). Now realize that among Kaysing's claims is that NASA intentionally killed the Apollo 1 astronauts to keep them from talking and that NASA arranged for the murder of other people, but he sued Jim Lovell for slander. A judge threw the case out of court.

Also, here is a YouTube copy of the MythBusters shows on the moon landing. This video is the first part of the show, the other parts all appear to be available if you go to YouTube. link to YouTube videos of the Mythbuster show

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I've never understood why one would refuse what we humans are capable of in accomploshing such feats, and pretty sad to be honest. If you believe in Moses crossing the Red Sea, then what makes the moon landing so impossible?

I would not in any way, shape, or form compare Moses crossing the Red Sea to the USA's trip to the moon :doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it strange how we haven't been back to the moon since the 70's :scratch:

Why is it strange? It's really expensive to send somebody to the moon. We went there specifically to beat the Russians there. Once we got there, there wasn't any reason to keep funding the program. The only reason we were able to go back as many times as they did is because program organizers purposely asked for way more money than necessary.

The entire NASA budget started getting gutted by the end of the 70s. We won the space race, no need to continue the massive funding it had previously been getting.

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why is it strange? It's really expensive to send somebody to the moon. We went there specifically to beat the Russians there. Once we got there, there wasn't any reason to keep funding the program. The only reason we were able to go back as many times as they did is because program organizers purposely asked for way more money than necessary.

The entire NASA budget started getting gutted by the end of the 70s. We won the space race, no need to continue the massive funding it had previously been getting.

Wow they figured out all they needed to know in 6 trips?

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Wow they figured out all they needed to know in 6 trips?

No, of course not. Again, the reason we went there was to beat the Russians there, it was an entirely political thing masked a scientific endeavor. Once we got there, the space race was over. The Russians gave up trying to get to the moon so there was no longer any need for the massive funding that NASA had previously received. Going to the moon was too expensive for whatever they might have been gained using the lower budget. There was simply nothing to gain by going back that would convince the US government to fund more missions.

Indeed, even with the new proposals to go back as a first step to go to Mars, NASA hasn't received the necessary funding to do so. It'll be interesting to see if they manage to come up with enough money to do it.

Upvote 0

Maren

Veteran
Oct 20, 2007
✟57,368.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private

Actually, this isn't quite true. The missions were are funded individually, they didn't go to the moon extra times because they over-budgeted. There were additional moon trips that were canceled after we had successfully gone to the moon because Congress didn't see the reason to continue funding the trips to the moon, along with how the dangers of moon missions were brought home by the (successful) failure of Apollo 13. Apollo missions 18-20 were planned and even had crews assigned (except for 20) but were canceled in 1970.

The spacecraft that were already ordered/built for those missions were re-tasked for Skylab and other missions, though some of the spacecraft were never built or at least never completed. One example Apollo 19; the Saturn V and command module were not finished but became a display at the Johnson Space Center and the Lunar Module originally was not completed and put on display at the Cradle of Aviation museum, but was removed from display and completed a few years ago for the filming of the TV miniseries From The Earth To The Moon (and returned to display after).

The reason no one has been back is that no one sees a benefit to returning that equals the cost of going back to the moon (which would cost in the billions of dollars). The average cost of the original moon missions (in today's dollars) were between $2.4 and $3.5 billion. While NASA and various scientists have an interest in various projects the astronauts were to do during Apollo 18 through 20, they had also had learned most of what they wished to know from the initial moon landings. There just is no real justification for the government to spend several billion dollars to return to the moon.

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No, of course not. Again, the reason we went there was to beat the Russians there, it was an entirely political thing masked a scientific endeavor. Once we got there, the space race was over. There was no longer any need for the massive funding that NASA had previously received. Going to the moon was too expensive for whatever they might have been gained using the lower budget. There was simply nothing to gain by going back that would convince the US government to fund more missions.

Indeed, even with the new proposals to go back as a first step to go to Mars, NASA hasn't received the necessary funding to do so. It'll be interesting to see if they manage to come up with enough money to do it.

Seems they didn't have problems with funding back in the late 60's early 70's. Yeah funny how we just wanted to beat the Russians and after doing so, fundings dried up.

Wait until the Russians decide they want to go to Mars, bet we beat them again. Unless of course the President that happens to be in office actually has a conscience ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
I would not in any way, shape, or form compare Moses crossing the Red Sea to the USA's trip to the moon :doh:

Why not? The moon landing is more plausible, than say an individual commanding the seas to part for him. Besides, the conspiracy theories about the moon landing have been debunked numerous times. When you don't believe in our ability to do this, you're not giving Allah credit for creating us to accomplish such feats.

I find it strange how we haven't been back to the moon since the 70's :scratch:

Once we landed on the moon and knew we could do it, time to move on to the next part of space travel. Been there done that, next!

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Seems they didn't have problems with funding back in the late 60's early 70's. Yeah funny how we just wanted to beat the Russians and after doing so, fundings dried up.
Of course. In the 50's through the 60's the US gov't wanted to beat the Russians in the space race very badly. So they gave it massive funding. Once the Russians were beaten, there's no incentive to give out so much funding. Intelligent program directors at NASA during the times in which funding was easy to obtain massively inflated their projected budgets so that they'd have not only more than enough to complete their goal of getting to the moon, but be sure funding went beyond the officially funded missions.

Wait until the Russians decide they want to go to Mars, bet we beat them again. Unless of course the President that happens to be in office actually has a conscience ;)
We already are planning on going to Mars. Current plans are to get there, IIRC, in 20 years. Whether or not we get the funding needed, I dunno. I don't think we care so much anymore if Russia were to get there first (and they have no plans to do so that I know of), we'd be more concerned if China did. Arguably, the development of space programs in China is the cause of the new push to get back to the moon - IIRC shortly before Bush announced the challege to NASA to get back to the moon and establish a permanent base, China had made mention they planned to go to the moon.

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Why not? The moon landing is more plausible, than say an individual commanding the seas to part for him. Besides, the conspiracy theories about the moon landing have been debunked numerous times. When you don't believe in our ability to do this, you're not giving Allah credit for creating us to accomplish such feats.

God had a hand in parting the Red Sea; IF we landed on the moon, yeah God had a hand in it, but I said IF ;)

Once we landed on the moon and knew we could do it, time to move on to the next part of space travel. Been there done that, next!

Hmmmmm and after what almost 40 yrs since the last moon landing we still haven't gone to Mars!?!?!

Upvote 0