GuidanceNeeded

“Seek peace, and pursue it. (Proverbs 34:14)”
Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We already are planning on going to Mars. Current plans are to get there, IIRC, in 20 years. Whether or not we get the funding needed, I dunno. I don't think we care so much anymore if Russia were to get there first (and they have no plans to do so that I know of), we'd be more concerned if China did. Arguably, the development of space programs in China is the cause of the new push to get back to the moon - IIRC shortly before Bush announced the challege to NASA to get back to the moon and establish a permanent base, China had made mention they planned to go to the moon.

In 20 years ????? ROFL Are they waiting for the next president that lacks a conscience?

Great if China goes to the moon then they can bring back the flag we left up there, eh?

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
In 20 years ????? ROFL Are they waiting for the next president that lacks a conscience?

Space travel aspirations require no conscience? I didn't realize that learning about the universe God created was something to be frowned upon.

Great if China goes to the moon then they can bring back the flag we left up there, eh?

If China goes up there, it'll be just a reminder that we were there first and how far behind they're lagging. Remember, we actually have people living in space and have for some time.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
[/color]
Hmmmmm and after what almost 40 yrs since the last moon landing we still haven't gone to Mars!?!?!

We have landed on Mars, just not with people yet. Within the next 10 years, I foresee humans landing on Mars. Who knows, maybe there will be a colony built there within the next century.

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Space travel aspirations require no conscience? I didn't realize that learning about the universe God created was something to be frowned upon.

Yeah well I look at it like this - If God wanted us in space He would of put us up there to begin with. He put us on earth for a reason.

When I think of us going to outer space, I think of the town of Babel!

If China goes up there, it'll be just a reminder that we were there first and how far behind they're lagging. Remember, we actually have people living in space and have for some time.

Yeah no problems with funding there, eh?

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We have landed on Mars, just not with people yet. Within the next 10 years, I foresee humans landing on Mars. Who knows, maybe there will be a colony built there within the next century.

Yeah then it can be like Star Wars ;)

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
[/color]

Yeah well I look at it like this - If God wanted us in space He would of put us up there to begin with. He put us on earth for a reason.

Considering that flying is the safest way to travel, did Allah not want us to fly since we don't have wings?

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

10 years for man on Mars? No way! Getting there will take 18 months minimum and keeping humans alive on such a journey would be difficult even with our experience in low Earth orbit.

Guidanceneeded said:

We are in space, maybe you didnt notice but the Earth is in space.

You talk about it as if it's some other dimension.

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We are in space, maybe you didnt notice but the Earth is in space.

You talk about it as if it's some other dimension.

Yes I know we are in space! But I also believe YOU know the point I point I was making.

Upvote 0

TemperateSeaIsland

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi
Aug 7, 2005
Wales, UK
✟21,785.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yes I know we are in space! But I also believe YOU know the point I point I was making.

and it's a mute point. Space is simply part of the environment we exist in the same as sky or the ocean. Stating some divine limits to justify luddite urges is no different to condeming lightening rods on buildings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Actually, I don't know. I get it on a local channel here. If it is, don't take their word for it either. ;)

It is on the Discovery Channel in the US. But I'd expect different countries to air it on different channels.

Upvote 0
K

Kharak

[/COLOR]

If God wanted us to cross the oceans, he would've given your ancestors fins...

Your premise lacks a basis in reality. It is there, we have gone there, and stopping it is a fool's errand. Not just with the applications of mundane weather satellites or GPS, but for the sake of survival. For example: If you think that the pathetic inter-continental nuclear arsenal of the world can save you from an asteroid, for example, then you are sorely mistaken. Thus at least a minimal population in space gives us a fighting chance against the many unknown planetoids waiting to come crashing down upon us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Douger

Veteran
Oct 2, 2004
✟165,821.00
Faith
Christian
Thus at least a minimal population in space gives us a fighting chance against the many unknown planetoids waiting to come crashing down upon us.
Not to mention dormant swarms of intelligent predator life forms drifting through space for milenia from one life supporting planet to another.

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
[/color]

Funny thing -- guess where the Earth is? In space.

I guess if God wanted birds to fly, He woudn't have put them in nests.

Then perhaps you should think of Babel the next time you:

Insulate your house
Buy a smoke detector
use a cordless appliance
go to the hospital
fly in an airplane
put on a football helmet
play golf
Read the Constitution or the Dead Sea Scrolls
eat your vegetables
talk to a firefighter

and a whole bunch of other things.

Becasue you'd be surprised how much technology NASA used to get to the Moon has found its way into our daily lives.

NASA itself has a partial list on its website:
NASAsolutions: Benefits of the Space Program

Upvote 0

Nathan Poe

Sep 21, 2002
United States
✟41,319.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Democrat
Not to mention dormant swarms of intelligent predator life forms drifting through space for milenia from one life supporting planet to another.

Nah, we got Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum for that.

"I ain't heard no fat lady!"

Upvote 0

GuidanceNeeded

Mar 26, 2009
✟8,766.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Then perhaps you should think of Babel the next time you:

Insulate your house
Buy a smoke detector
use a cordless appliance
go to the hospital
fly in an airplane
put on a football helmet
play golf
Read the Constitution or the Dead Sea Scrolls
eat your vegetables
talk to a firefighter

and a whole bunch of other things.

Will say it again Apples and Oranges. None of the things you list, consist of my trying to leave Earth (which is where God placed us) and to go to another planet.

Guess you missed what I was getting at - comparing the Tower of Babel to going to outer space!

Upvote 0