Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Am I too cliche...

....for hating America?...

If one is comparing how he/she sees/experiences a nation-state to myth and legend then he/she is probably not going to respond positively.

But once a person discards myth and legend and accepts reality then he/she can appreciate a nation-state.

The problem is that too many U.S. citizens--the overwhelming majority, it seems--cling to myths and legends about the United States of America and will beat to a bloody pulp anybody who points out reality. You know, realities like how the indigenous peoples of what is now the U.S. were nearly all killed as the republic was founded and expanded--and how a strong case could be made that it was nothing short of genocide.

If a person looks at the U.S. holistically and objectively--not through the eyes of, say, a tourist--like a historian, anthropologist, geographer, etc. and still hates the United States of America then to be consistent he/she is going to have to hate all of civilization, if not all of humanity.

But I think that if a person is able to look at the U.S. holistically and objectively like a historian, anthropologist, geographer, etc. would then he/she should, rather than feeling hatred, see yet another chapter in the drama known as civilization and, like with any other chapter, come away wiser than he/she should could be if the chapter had never been written.

If the only response a person has is hatred then he/she is either not looking at things holistically and objectively or was not interested in gaining any wisdom from the interaction in the first place.

Upvote 0

Guy Incognito

Matt 6:25-34
Sep 27, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
Visit site
✟73,158.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
All I can say is...

107288_canada-day-300x300.jpg

:cool:

Upvote 0

Blackguard_

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.
Feb 9, 2004
Tucson
✟18,992.00
Faith
Lutheran
broken one said:
Am I too cliche... ....for hating America?
Depends on why you hate America. As far a I know, it's only cliche for moonbats and Europhiles (some overlap)to hate America.

Anyway, America certainly isn't perfect has a lot of problems(now, saying that is cliche), but as someone who likes the desert and gun rights, it's the only game in town. Well, parts of it are.

cryptoscript said:
There's another option to the south.
South Tucson?;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No offense, but if you don't like it why not try and change it instead of abandoning it? I've never understood why people who hate America leaving instead of trying to work within the system and change it for the better. It's lazy and entitled and I've yet to hear any reason why someone hates America that wouldn't be true in almost any other country, it just shows a lack of understanding of global situations

Upvote 0

Nom De Guerre

Who amongst you doesn't see life as permanent?
May 6, 2005
Location, Location.
✟39,599.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No offense, but if you don't like it why not try and change it instead of abandoning it? I've never understood why people who hate America leaving instead of trying to work within the system and change it for the better. It's lazy and entitled and I've yet to hear any reason why someone hates America that wouldn't be true in almost any other country, it just shows a lack of understanding of global situations

It might have something to do with the failing educational system, the invasive Privacy acts, consumerism and continually growing debt, fake democracy, latent reform, and inner circles which are the oligarchy of your US; or, I guess, he might not like that there are more deaths in the US than the world.

I could go on... but I won't. I've said enough, if not too much, already.

Reactions: Oddish
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wren

Dec 19, 2006
PNW
✟33,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I had the attitude that I could help change this country for the better, but I give up. And I completely agree with Cyrus's (or Nom as I want to call him :D) post.

Reactions: Nom De Guerre
Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2011
Alaska
✟7,990.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I fall into the camp of "love my country, hate my government", which these days seems to be past the point of no return to me.

Of course, as one who supports the right of secession, I don't believe in moving anywhere else in the world but rather in trying to fix the problems as best as possible, and if that's not possible, to break away as a last resort.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Because voting doesn't change things. If the problem with the government is the main political parties, and those parties are so deep into the American political mind, even being active in the way that the people dictate the government is just as problematic as the politicians themselves.

So if you have a mindset that one, one of the two parties are so bad off that there is no hope, there is no real reason to hope to even become a public official to make that 'quo say difference'. The money you need, the prestige you need, you get by succumbing to the masses not by telling the truth.

So while I don't hate America and I love living here, I have no hope for the American government at this current date and change cannot happen in this country at this current time in my opinion. Politicians are to blame, the people are to blame(including myself), corporations are to blame, I even blame the current mode of capitalism and I am sure, no matter what political views we all hold the list could go on and on.

I won't be leaving anytime soon...I'll just be having fun complaining and enjoying the great freedoms I get to experience here and being around the people that are in my life that exist here. Those people are more important than some 'escapist political asylum' dream.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
This is going to be multiple posts. FYI from the get-go.
You're not cliche. You may just be listening to too much Glenn Beck and Limbaugh. *shrugs*.
Probably. But there are people who actually BELIEVE what they say, and that is really scary. :|
Dude... if you hate America, there's the door.
South-Park-Giiit-Out.jpg

Why hate the entire country if only a few are ruining it?
Because the few ruining it have too much power (real or otherwise).
America isn't perfect but its better than other places I've been. Go travel and see what you are missing. Then come back home and kiss the hallowed ground of the greatest country the world has ever known.
We're not the greatest country ever, lol. Come on.

There's plenty of other places that are better.....the Scandinavian countries, for example. Even "Haus-tralia", as Zohan put it.
USA is great for a lot of reasons. The government might bend to corporate wills, but overall it is better than all the rest of the governments out there. And with voter education, theoretically, the government could get even better.
But there's not voter education, so what's the point.
I don't think it is cliche. In fact, I thought it made you rather Canadian. Welcome to the club!
thumbsup.gif
Canada rocks
All I can say is...

107288_canada-day-300x300.jpg

cool.gif
Canada, if you weren't so cold....the healthcare is tempting. :)
America isn't that great compared to other industrialized nations unless you're rich.
This. Sadly.
There's another option to the south.

mexican.jpg

Just sayin'...
cool.gif
If the cartels weren't so bad, this could be an option. I know people who moved there before the war on drugs, and they were doing just fine.
but as someone who likes the desert and gun rights, it's the only game in town.
Do not really care for either, lol.
YEAH WHAT HE'S SAYING.. Russia's the real heaven on earth anyways
cool.gif

tongue.gif
As long as I get Russian women guaranteed....and lots of vodka. Lots. :p
It might have something to do with the failing educational system, the invasive Privacy acts, consumerism and continually growing debt, fake democracy, latent reform, and inner circles which are the oligarchy of your US; or, I guess, he might not like that there are more deaths in the US than the world.

I could go on... but I won't. I've said enough, if not too much, already.
This, again.

Upvote 0

broken_one

Fear is but something to be overcome.
Jun 5, 2008
✟22,438.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
I fall into the camp of "love my country, hate my government", which these days seems to be past the point of no return to me.

Of course, as one who supports the right of secession, I don't believe in moving anywhere else in the world but rather in trying to fix the problems as best as possible, and if that's not possible, to break away as a last resort.
Secession? Hmmmmm.....

jesusland_orig.jpg

Because voting doesn't change things. If the problem with the government is the main political parties, and those parties are so deep into the American political mind, even being active in the way that the people dictate the government is just as problematic as the politicians themselves.

So if you have a mindset that one, one of the two parties are so bad off that there is no hope, there is no real reason to hope to even become a public official to make that 'quo say difference'. The money you need, the prestige you need, you get by succumbing to the masses not by telling the truth.

So while I don't hate America and I love living here, I have no hope for the American government at this current date and change cannot happen in this country at this current time in my opinion. Politicians are to blame, the people are to blame(including myself), corporations are to blame, I even blame the current mode of capitalism and I am sure, no matter what political views we all hold the list could go on and on.

I won't be leaving anytime soon...I'll just be having fun complaining and enjoying the great freedoms I get to experience here and being around the people that are in my life that exist here. Those people are more important than some 'escapist political asylum' dream.
Well, I'm not trying to be some sort of asylum either. Just that it comes a time where life could be better and richer somewhere else, and for my future and the future of any sort of family I have......like America isn't bad now, but in like 20 years....idk. Could be really bad. Should be.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Qyöt27

AMV Editor At Large
Apr 2, 2004
St. Petersburg, Florida
✟81,859.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think that in many ways, it's an end result of someone seeing the political cesspool for what it is and getting so fed up with it that it consumes all of their other perception of the place. It's about a million times worse right now because of the vitriolic partisanship that's erupted over the last decade-and-a-half or so and has steadily gotten worse and worse. Civility is a pipe dream anymore, it seems. It's way too easy to demonize your opponent and the entire other half of the country, and why settle for journalistic integrity or wanting to actually make it possible for anybody to have the chance to succeed here when you can be paid off as a corporate shill and sell out the people you're supposed to represent?

The politically-aware are probably almost always unhappier as a result of that knowledge. Any change that occurs is often a hard-fought battle, and the true result of it usually takes years to start seeing.

Upvote 0
T

toastface_grillah

Easier said than done. I'm not a tinfoil-hat paranoid, but there's enough people and special interests who want to keep things as they are (ignorant voters, politicians who pander to the people during campaign season and to the corporations for 2-4 years) to make it an uphill battle - to say the least - for anyone trying to work within the system and change it for the better.

Secession? Hmmmmm.....

jesusland_orig.jpg

Toasty's down with this. Canadian gals? Poutine? Less winner-takes-all capitalism-obsessed government? Let's roll. There's something very odd about having Sin City on the cusp of Jesusland, though.

Upvote 0