May 14, 2004
Canada
✟18,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
simplicity said:
When I was a lot younger I sent Pope John Paul an essay-letter on Biblical support for environmental causes. The Pope sent his blessings, actually.

I guess some basic concepts are lost in the compulsive and sometimes complex rhetoric of political charactes such as Mr. Gore. We all know that people habitually pray for things like recovery from illness and long life. Yet much of society contributes to those things that destroy life and the support mechanisms in place to ensure human survival. So based on their tangible actions people do not care for life but actually would prefer death. So death is what they have. It is all around us - something that we deserve and earned.

I don't know enough about Mr. Gore to comment on him specifically. But in terms of the environmental movement as we know it, I think most (radical)environmentalists spend their time complaining about companies, ranting about how it's wrong to own property and proving that God doesn't exist. If that is all they have to offer to the discussion, we've heard it all before from far better speakers. I think the greatest obstacle the environmental movement are the environmentalists themselves who are detached from the needs and desires of everyday people.

I don't know a single enviromentalist like that.

The enviromentalists I know walk the walk. They bike or walk or use transit when they can. They use the most fuel-effecient car that's servicable for what they need to use it for. They help set up food co-ops. They use Earth-friendly products. They reduce or eliminate the amount of child-labour and slave-labour products they use. They do charity. They help out those around them. They keep their yards meadowy so that birds can live in them...or they move to smaller homes when they no longer need the room, so as to not waste power and space.

And the most shocking thing: some of them even go to church. Almost all are Christian.

Enviromentalism is not a religion; it is part science, part art, part humanities. It's caring for your neighbor, whether they live next door or three countries over.

Reactions: icedtea
Upvote 0