1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Al Gore's Religion: Environmentalism

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by robalan, May 26, 2006.

1. robalan

robalan Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    This article makes me want to vomit:

http://www.crosswalk.com/news/1399058.html

Al Gore NEVER was interested in the Bible until suddenly he wants to promote his own religion of environmentalism.

Excerpt from article:

"The Book of Revelations [says] God will destroy those who destroy his creation," Gore said...

What a dispicable misrepresentation of the Bible for political purposes. I wish Gore cared THIS much about what the Bible says when it comes to the things that matter most: Christ, salvation, and moral governing.

Voegelin likes this.
  2. Arnold_Philips

Arnold_Philips what

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Christian
    Religious posturing from a politician... you don't say...

3. Rochir

Rochir By Grabthar's hammer ... YES.WEEK.END!

Marital Status:
    Private
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    YEAH! Anyone caring for the environment, for our children and grandchildren, is EVIL! BAD BAD SATN WORSHIPPERS!!!!

4. robalan

robalan Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Your comment is completely irrelevant here.

This thread is about misrepresenting what the Bible says. No one would disagree that taking measures to preserve the environement is good, but that is completely irrelevant to this thread.

5. simplicity

simplicity incredibly ordinary member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Christian
    When I was a lot younger I sent Pope John Paul an essay-letter on Biblical support for environmental causes. The Pope sent his blessings, actually.

I guess some basic concepts are lost in the compulsive and sometimes complex rhetoric of political charactes such as Mr. Gore. We all know that people habitually pray for things like recovery from illness and long life. Yet much of society contributes to those things that destroy life and the support mechanisms in place to ensure human survival. So based on their tangible actions people do not care for life but actually would prefer death. So death is what they have. It is all around us - something that we deserve and earned.

I don't know enough about Mr. Gore to comment on him specifically. But in terms of the environmental movement as we know it, I think most (radical)environmentalists spend their time complaining about companies, ranting about how it's wrong to own property and proving that God doesn't exist. If that is all they have to offer to the discussion, we've heard it all before from far better speakers. I think the greatest obstacle the environmental movement are the environmentalists themselves who are detached from the needs and desires of everyday people.

6. CaligulaNero

CaligulaNero Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    The biggest enemies for environmentalists are the same problems that befall all scientists- people are stupid and greedy. If Gore can use the bible to get through people's thick heads, I say have at it.

7. applepowerpc

applepowerpc Guest

It's really sad how politically incorrect environmentalism is. The dangers we face are real and of biblical proportions. If even Gore can see that....

8. SummerMadness

SummerMadness Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Christian
    Well if people want to destroy the environment, then they are destroying God's creation.

9. robalan

robalan Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Dangerous? Yes.

But there is not ANY evidence to show that human actions--such as gas usage, chlorofluorocarbons, etc--are contributing to this environmental state. Human actions are only accounting for approximately 1 degree in this climate change--and that is according to liberal estimates.

I know this may sound shocking to you, and you rarely hear it no TV, but there are plenty of top-notch scientists, researchers, and environmentalists who believe that global warming is mostly the result of earth's natural cycle and climate change. If it's not, then would you also say that the ice age was due to human actions as well?

10. SummerMadness

Faith:
    Christian
    No one is saying that global warming is man-made, the Earth has cycles. However, if you look at the current trend of warming, it is accelerated and that has been linked to human actions. Most scientists agree with this assessment, and your claim that CFCs are not harmful is a terribly misguided statement.

11. robalan

robalan Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I didn't say CFCs aren't harmful. I only said that CFCs--along with other things which environmentalists claim as "harmful"--do not account for this accelerated change in the earth's climate. Small percentage at best. Even by liberal estimates.

12. robalan

robalan Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Most scientists agree that a PERCENTAGE of the climate change is attributable to human actions. No scientist believes that 100% is. The only debate is what percentage.

The older models which used to calculate CFCs impact (from the 80s and earlier) have since been found to have some significant flaws. These older models gave higher estimates as to the total degrees that CFC usage worldwide has increased the global temperature. Since the flaws have been found, estimates are now as low as .8 degrees for CFC's net temperature change on the globe--which is insignificant COMPARED to the accelerated global warming that we have objectively observed.

I think you should just be aware that there ARE top notch scientists who study this who believe that mankind's contribution to global warming is either neglible compared to the whole, or even zero. I would just say be OPEN to hear what these scientists have to say. There are more of them than you are led to believe.

13. Eryk

Eryk Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian

They haven't been publishing in peer-reviewed journals. They're top-notch business lobbyists.

There are 928 peer-reviewed scientific papers on climate change published between 1993 and 2003, and not one of them disagreed with the consensus position that the Earth's temperature is rising due to human activity. Link

Since the Industrial Revolution, the burning of fossil fuels such as coal and oil has put about twice as much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere than is naturally removed by the oceans and forests. This has resulted in carbon dioxide levels building up in the atmosphere. Today, carbon dioxide levels are 30% higher than pre-industrial levels, higher than they have been in the last 420,000 years and are probably at the highest levels they have been in the past 20 million years.

14. Doctrine1st

Doctrine1st Official nitwit

Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Other-Church
    When it comes to environmentalism, isn't that moral governing?

15. Daywolf

Daywolf Ferret snacks!

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Revelations? What book is that?!?

I wonders if Gores was asked what books comes afters Revelation, if hes would needs to thinks abouts that ones for a bits. Coulds that bes the books of potatoe?

16. Anduril

Anduril Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    Theres nothing Biblical about the new green religion. It resembles earth worshipping pagan superstition more than anything else and throwing around out of context Bible verses is just a tactic used to win sympathy from the Christian population.

The Nazis in WW2 were very much anti-capitalist nature worshippers and it appears the same motivating factors are being used to drive todays green movement. The hysteria being created over global warming is just an example of how this movement isn't based on facts or reason, but superstition.

Voegelin likes this.
  17. Voegelin

Voegelin Reactionary

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Interesting article as it appears Gore is shifting away (in public at least) from the Gaiaism and marxism common in some environmental activist groups.

Yale Medical School library exhibit on the history which set the stage for Gaiaism:

http://www.med.yale.edu/library/historical/exhibits_main.html

University of Delaware speech by former major general of the KGB which touches on how the Soviets used environmentalism to further marxist expansion:

http://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2003/spies031303.html

18. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Al Gore has been a Baptist all his life. Before he even thought of running for President, his wife, Tipper, was widely known for trying to clean up popular music.

http://www.adherents.com/people/pg/Al_Gore.html

The Maranatha Baptist Church in Plains, Georgia (where former President Jimmy Carter teaches Sunday school) left the Southern Baptist Convention, too, for the very same reason that the Gores stopped attending Southern Baptist churches.

But that doesn't mean they're not Christian.

Eryk likes this.
  19. SummerMadness

Faith:
    Christian
    Because whenever there is a consensus opinion on a subject that I refuse to agree with, it's best to go with the minute number of dissenters. I 990 say something I disagree with, I need to prop up the 10 that align with my ideas. I get it. :wave:

Why do you feel the need to question his Christianity? Just because he's not a conservative doesn't mean he doesn't know the Bible.

Could it be possible that everyone with concerns for the environment don't all think the same way, kind of like there are some scientists that don't think global warming exist? :doh:

20. burrow_owl

burrow_owl Senior Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Non-Denominational
    Calling environmentalism a religion does a disservice to both. The implicit notion is that religion is arational or irrational. If environmentalism is a religion, then, it can be dismissed as such.

I would think many religious people would take issue with that notion.