Ah yes. The theology of music, and how it should be made.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,317.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I highly disagree but we will have to agree to disagree on that.
We can read into musical types our own cultural understandings. I well remember a good friend who went to seminary and who visited me one weekend in New York City. He was quite insistent that all Classical music is Christian and all "modern" music is Satanic. I took him to the Metropolitan Opera which was performing the lovely opera by Puccini, "La Boheme". My friend was enjoying the music until he read the libretto and discovered that all those unintelligible sounds the singers were making on stage were actual French words with decidedly non-Christian meanings. Although he didn't change his view of "modern" music, he did change his view of Classical music.

Without understandable lyrics, all music can be appreciated by its specific audience. When you add words to the music, then it truly becomes a different animal.

Upvote 0

Davy

Site Supporter
Nov 25, 2017
USA
✟267,597.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So, little backstory for me. I am a music producer. Ive been making music on a computer LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG before I became a Christian, and have since started using my talent to glorify God. However then I started to realise something. God seems to love when music is played live on an instrument. And since im not doing that, and its very different to what I do. Is it still glorifying God? When I write a song, I produce, mix, master etc, sometimes without ever touching an actual instrument. The computer is my instrument. And when the song is done, its done. It can be played, enjoyed etc, but it cannot be played LIVE by a group of musicians. This is a problem, considering thats what God likes, when it comes to music. Its a weird question, and yet its a pretty serious one considering my intense passion for music production, not so much music playing.
If it serves God in any way, keep pressing on, and don't worry about it!

Upvote 0