Age gap...

chocolateloverjen

ALSO: ricloverjen AND godloverjen
Apr 11, 2005
East Yorkshire
✟16,935.00
Faith
Methodist
the age gap between my mum and dad is 22 years. my mum is actually 40 tomorrow and dad turned 62 last feburary. things are not good between them and i think it is to do with the age gaop. im not wnating to put you off but if you think about it this way: you where 16 and he was 40 or even think: you where 6 and he was 30. does it sound ok now? sorry but mum and dad have talked about it with me before.im not trying to be harsh but i did it with my parents and i was like :sick: about it and thought i am not going to get in a relationship like that because they argue and stuff. Im in a long distant relationship and he is 9 month older than me.i feel safe like that, its nice and not to like eew.we have been going out a year n nearly 3 month and going strong.yay.

Upvote 0

pegatha

Apr 26, 2004
✟1,433.00
Faith
Non-Denom
bobsgal said:
Pegatha, uhm....there NEVER was talk of marriage, the entire topic is about dating, he is recently divorced and actually neither one of us is ready for marriage again!
When you said above that you had "full intentions of taking care of him" when he got older, I assumed you meant you were open to the possibility of marriage with him.

But even if it's purely a dating relationship, the points I made would still hold valid. If anything, they're even more valid--how can he object to your pursuing an army career if he's not considering marriage to you? Why would he ask you to give up your goals for the sake of a temporary relationship? You're already 26, and the army doesn't accept new recruits past a certain age limit. If that's your dream, you have a limited window of opportunity to pursue it.

Anyway, I'm glad he's getting some help for his depression. I think you've made the right decision to place this relationship on hold for now. I wish you both the best whether you eventually get back together or go your separate ways.

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Beth1231 said:
Egghead, this might sound a bit strange but the one part of your post that jumped out at me was "not some 25 year old kid who can't keep his pants on". How can you make a patronizing comment like that and not see your wife as "a kid" also?
Very, very fair question :thumbsup:

When we first met I spent the entire first year watching her very closely.
Being married to an adulteress before, Ive come to learn all the little warning signs/patterns to watch for.

I was watching for any little inconsistancy or issue so I would know whether she was worth trusting or not.

Im generally a very good judge of character, irritatingly so it seems.
To be honest, the warning bells were blaring when the ex and I were talking marriage, I just ignored them as much as possible cause of being young and stupid.

With my honey, I scrutinized everything about her so I wouldnt make the same mistakes.

my ex was 2 years older than I am. She was selfish, bitter, had no clue how to be a mother or a wife, spent money faster than we could make it, didnt think we should waste money on luxuries like food, electric, moneys owed, gas, etc so she could go shopping or to bingo.

With my wife now, she had a savings account that had $650 in it from her bday money as a kid, shed never spent any of it, plus she stuck all the money she made from her summer jobs in the bank and made it last all winter during college.
She exhibits none of those qualities of the ex.
She is very generous, yet knows where the line is on spending.
She is 20 years younger than my exwife, but actually acts older, more mature in every aspect save one, she likes to play and wrestle with me through the house. something the ex never would do.

I"m not trying to insult you or point a finger. I'm just curious.
No, I understand, and I can see why youd ask :)

I find that guys and girls who are even ten years older than me try to be patronizing at times.
I am so sorry.

Let me amend my comment to say ''some young men" :)

Although I'm fairly sure you aren't like that with your wife, how do you avoid it?
Because she has proven herself, as you are doing right now.
You sound very mature and are concerned with how others view you. Im quite sure Id see you in the same light I do my wife, maturity wise :)

My wife wouldnt even date guys her own age.
Shed say begin to like one and hed do something really immature and shed get really turned off and just not have anything to do with him.

Lots of young women want more maturity in a companion Im starting to notice.
I can't help but look at a 18 year old guy and think thoughts like "kid who hasn't grown up yet" most of the time. I guess that's why I'm asking that.
For the most part youd be right.
''many'' young men that age arent much more than kids mentally.
Not all, just many.
Its hard for a woman to tell sometimes.
Id suggest caution to all young women who are more mature mentally to be very careful. Young men lots of times will put on any act required to get what they want. And that usually is the one thing a woman should hold on to.

I married a man who is three years older, so I'm curious about the thought process of a marriage like the one you are in.
As I said, I scrutinized everything about her for about a year before I started to lighten up more.
I did this mostly secretly, but I did tell her I was and why.
Neither of us needed a bad relationship for obvious reasons.

So your hubby is 25ish?

That is most likely about the youngest I think a man should marry.
Some are surely ready before then, but many arent and they ruin the life of a decent young lady by putting her through hell, then dumping her with a couple kids. Its sad, but true many times.

If you have a kind, loving, supportive young man, hold on to him as best you can. Take time out of each day for each other. Give everything you can to him and hopefully he will for you as well.
My wife and I intentionally practice selflessness each and every day.
We do this purposefully to build good habits that will last our whole marriage.

Id like to know more about your hubby.

Is he mature ?
Does he believe the man is to support the wife financially and to take care of her?
Does he detest the idea of ever cheating on you, so much so that he knows that to do so is betraying himself as well as you?
Does he put only God before you and your marriage?

Im just asking because it really tickles me when I see a young couple together where both really have it together. Its rare, but it does happen

God bless

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chocolateloverjen said:
the age gap between my mum and dad is 22 years. my mum is actually 40 tomorrow and dad turned 62 last feburary. things are not good between them and i think it is to do with the age gaop. im not wnating to put you off but if you think about it this way: you where 16 and he was 40 or even think: you where 6 and he was 30. does it sound ok now?

irrelevant comparison.
we are talking two consenting adults, not statutory rape or child abuse.

If theyre having trouble it has more to do with compatibility issues and selfishness out of at least one of them than it does age.

sorry but mum and dad have talked about it with me before.im not trying to be harsh but i did it with my parents and i was like :sick: about it and thought i am not going to get in a relationship like that because they argue and stuff.
You can bet there is much more to the picture than age.
Most likely they are just blaming the age factor for their inability to get along.

Im in a long distant relationship and he is 9 month older than me.i feel safe like that, its nice and not to like eew.we have been going out a year n nearly 3 month and going strong.yay.
Id feel safer with older rather than long distance.
Age differences work far more than long distance relationships do.

Upvote 0

chocolateloverjen

ALSO: ricloverjen AND godloverjen
Apr 11, 2005
East Yorkshire
✟16,935.00
Faith
Methodist
Egghead said:
irrelevant comparison.
we are talking two consenting adults, not statutory rape or child abuse.

If theyre having trouble it has more to do with compatibility issues and selfishness out of at least one of them than it does age.

You can bet there is much more to the picture than age.
Most likely they are just blaming the age factor for their inability to get along.

Id feel safer with older rather than long distance.
Age differences work far more than long distance relationships do.

i wasnt trying to hurt you, and you are adults. i also believe that you cannot help the ones you fall in love with. I am not blaming age, im just bareing in mind of it in myself. Also, we are not strong because of longdistance. We have to keep strong and cope with the distance and think wthat we will be together in the future in our minds-well not long for us. Im saying that im amazed i am in a long distant relationship. Before (when i wasnt a christian) i wouldnt have put it through my mind, but then God told me to be with this guy i met and only bumped into him a few times. I suppose im kinda hurt by what you put and your kinda hurt by what i put? if so i am sorry, it is only my opinion. I believe that you are strong with the decision that it is ok and your backing it all the way. I can see that you love him and i would like to say: im happy for you.
No hard feelings, i hope.
God Bless you both.
PM me if you like or i will come back to this thrad and check sometime.
Jenny
xxx

Upvote 0

bobsgal

Sep 18, 2005
✟7,661.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
My my my, did I open up a can of worms here????...lol...
Age is just a number, unless it involves someone underage, in this case we are BOTH adults!!!! Regardless of age it all depends on where the two parties are in their own lives, and as it stands there have been other issues that need to be nurtured first....I totaly believe that one must be happy with them selves first....we are taking care of this!

Upvote 0

Egghead

Jun 25, 2005
✟2,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
chocolateloverjen said:
i wasnt trying to hurt you, and you are adults. i also believe that you cannot help the ones you fall in love with.
I know :)
Dont take what I said the wrong way, it was just comments/observations :)

I hope this gent your with turns out to be the one Gods knows is best suited for you :)

God bless

Upvote 0

GodsJewel

Veteran
Sep 2, 2005
Ohio
✟9,691.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have a friend that's 21 years old and she's married to a 47 year old man. They've been married for 2 years now. They have 1 child and 1 on the way. Her family and older church members supported the union. They seem to have a pretty good marriage. But the age difference does cause conflicts.

I personally had a problem with it but didn't really voice it to her. But I did tell her that a 19 year old (at the time) and a 40 something year old man are at two different stages in their lives. A person around her age and even in the twenties are still trying to find themselves and trying to transition from teenager to young adult. Most 40 something year olds and older have already experienced life for the most part.

Upvote 0

Sploge

Contributor
Sep 21, 2005
Melbourne, Australia!
✟6,952.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
bobsgal said:
:scratch: I am new to this forum/site all together and I am hoping to get some really good christian advice...I believe I am in the right spot!

I am in a relationship with a man that is 24 years older than me, we have been friends for 5 years...that is what i mean by a relationship.

He is a recently divorced man that wanted a roommate and I moved into his home to rent a room...nothing else has taken place!!! Recently I have realixed that I have feeling for this wonderful man and he too has feelings for me, we have both been seriously talking about dating one another...my concern is with his worries...he is worried about what others will say, he has told me that he really cares for me but he has always been that way about any situation....he is torn with the perception of others and what he really wants.

Does anyone here have any suggestions on how i can help him get past this???
Well. i dotn think that AGE gap's matter, i mean apart for guy's liek 20 goign after young school girls and stuff but that not the age gap that ppl look @ so yeah... but i honestly think that if God's in it age does not matter and should not...

Upvote 0

AngylBelle

#1 Cheesehead!!!
Jan 23, 2004
FL
✟14,088.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
jferrell1211 said:
if I were to set arbitrary standards--- for age gap maximums-- they might look like the following---

youngest party -- age <= 20 max allowed diff 3 yrs
youngest party -- age >20 and <= 25 max allowed diff 3 yrs
youngest party -- age >20 and <= 25 max allowed diff 5 yrs
youngest party -- age >25 and <= 30 max allowed diff 10 yrs
youngest party -- age >30 and <= 40 max allowed diff 15 yrs
youngest party -- age >40 --- well, the sky's the limit <g>

good luck

I wish I'd read this before dating my beau! To think I just turned 20 and he is almost 25...and we're getting married!! I'd better call it off quick! (J/K jferrell1211 ;) )

I really don't think society cares as much as some people worry. If we are allowed to love identities within our family of various ages, why not outside? Oblivious and other posters have got it exactly right when they say you can't let society dictate your life. God blesses us with an abdundance of beautiful people in our lives...and you should never shorthand yourself when it comes to those you can love. Judging someone by their age is just as discriminatory as judging a person by race, gender, creed, etc...there is even a name for it: ageism! You are a wonderful person, bobsgal, to allow yourself to see past such petty differences. :hug: I wish your relationship with this man, be it friendship or more, the best of luck! :wave:

Reactions: Oblivious
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bobsgal

Sep 18, 2005
✟7,661.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
I thank you all so very much for your kind and courteous advice, it is hard being in love with someone that has a fear of such and I dont want to give up!! As I have noted previously the situation at hand sort of changed...dramatically, so now what do I do? All I can do is give him my support and show him that I will be here for him, and that I am not going to turn my back on him. He is depressed and that scares me, for so many reasons...I know with Gods help all will prosper! I just fear;him being impatient, that he will not give enough time and something terrible will happen. This man is so special to me and I just want the best for him, nomatter the out come...even if he is well and decides that I am not the one for him, that will hurt like mad but I just want him better!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

eyeliv4God

Incorporating Christ in My Everyday Life
Sep 12, 2004
Fort Wayne, Indiana, U.S.A.
✟10,371.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
bobsgal said:
i have decided to stay and work through this, he is having mental health issues...we went to a shrink together and she said it would not be a good idea for me to leave, it would only cause him more grief...shheeez i didnt imagine to hear that!

This may sound like a paradox (and as you know, I'm working with the same sitch), but don't stay with him because it would cause him more grief. That's not fair to either of you. Instead, if you really love him, stay with him because you simply love him. This is only an issue between God, him, and you. Good luck, Sweetie.

Upvote 0

bobsgal

Sep 18, 2005
✟7,661.00
Faith
Methodist
Politics
US-Republican
Hello all, I have done my own thing sort of....I just returned from my lil vacation and things seem to have gone well while I was out of town, he called me two and maybe even three times a day proclaiming that he DID miss me and that he doesnt want to be without me....so we are still living together but I am making it clear that we are not a couple, I am on my own and so is he...not as a couple, I decided to make a show of things and went today and purchased a new bedroom suit for MY room, as to say this room is my space and not for him to think I will be moving into his anytime soon! I am totally understanding of his situation and as things are going I dont want to enter into ANY relationship; let alone this one with this sort of things going on with the other individual....
Thanks so much to all!!!

Upvote 0