• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Afraid i wont be able to keep my job

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So, I'm just going to start from the beginning. I live in a 1bed townhome it was just me and 2 small kids but my mom couldn't keep her place and got evicted and now my mom,dad,2 brothers and my moms dogs are here.

We only have one mode of transportation which is my car. That car has to get my kids off to daycare and therapy(son had autism),my brother to school and my mom to and from work. I asked my brother if he could help pick my mom up but he refuses. So it's all on me.

Now after a while I not only found one job but 2 but because of everyone's conflicting schedules I don't think I'll be able to take it bc of my mom brother and kids. I'm trying I just don't know what to do..

My orientation is tommorow, I'm trying to help my family out bc they need the help. I truly don't believe you get blessed turning your back on your family. Then I have a court date Friday for possible eviction. Im so worried and frustrated I feel I might lose my place and not have a job..

I just don't know what to do. I want to scream.

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
So, I'm just going to start from the beginning. I live in a 1bed townhome it was just me and 2 small kids but my mom couldn't keep her place and got evicted and now my mom,dad,2 brothers and my moms dogs are here.

We only have one mode of transportation which is my car. That car has to get my kids off to daycare and therapy(son had autism),my brother to school and my mom to and from work. I asked my brother if he could help pick my mom up but he refuses. So it's all on me.

Now after a while I not only found one job but 2 but because of everyone's conflicting schedules I don't think I'll be able to take it bc of my mom brother and kids. I'm trying I just don't know what to do..

My orientation is tommorow, I'm trying to help my family out bc they need the help. I truly don't believe you get blessed turning your back on your family. Then I have a court date Friday for possible eviction. Im so worried and frustrated I feel I might lose my place and not have a job..

I just don't know what to do. I want to scream.
Hello, my friend!

I am not going to mince words here. I hope you don't want me to. I mean this all in love and some instruction.

You cannot dig your family members out fo the hole they dug. That never works.

Why are you being evicted?
Is your family part of the reason you are being evicted? If so, they need to go.​

You are responsible for yourself and to your children. That is your primary concern. And if that is all you can do, it is your only concern.
My parents were very poor. And they let even poorer people, families come live with us. With a deadline say 90 to 180 days, or until they caused us too many problems and were required to leave.​
If your brother can't help or won't help. Then he needs to leave. If your parents or others get on you for that. They can join him. There is no way I would allow someone living off of me, not to help and contribute. My kids are adults. One moved out at 22, the older is still with us. They understood/understand, they are not our roommates. They are family. And if they don't act like it, they can go find a roommate somewhere else. Period!​
Your family needs to acknowledge the same concept.​
Because your kids and you come first. You have to. Because you need to be there for your kids. Or, you are not taking care of your kids properly. You and your kids come before your siblings, and mother and father.​
Nowhere in scripture are we told we have to take abuse or be abused. If we are, we leave and protect ourselves and especially our children. And abuse comes in many many forms.​

Are you the owner of the car? If so, that is an asset. For you and your children. Do you have money to pay if your family wrecks it? Do they? If not. No one drives your car but you! Period. Your immediate family fails without it.

There are consequences for your bad decisions, and mine. You pay your consequences, learn, and move on. I pay mine, learn, and move on.
And there are consequences for your parents and siblings' bad decisions. They have made some. They are living with you. You can not pay for their bad choices. No can your children afford to pay for their bad choices. Your family pays and learns and moves on. Or not.

If you cannot afford them, if you lose your housing, if you can't work, lose your car, or can't get your kids to school; they need to leave! It is as simple as that.

Adults are people that take care of themselves. Children are what Adults take care of. If your parents and siblings cannot take care of themselves. They take orders from an adult. That is you. If they cannot abide that, they cannot perform as requested and then told, they leave. Period.

You love them, forgive them, and protect yourself and your kids.

Peace and Blessings.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, my friend!

I am not going to mince words here. I hope you don't want me to. I mean this all in love and some instruction.

You cannot dig your family members out fo the hole they dug. That never works.

Why are you being evicted?
Is your family part of the reason you are being evicted? If so, they need to go.​

You are responsible for yourself and to your children. That is your primary concern. And if that is all you can do, it is your only concern.
My parents were very poor. And they let even poorer people, families come live with us. With a deadline say 90 to 180 days, or until they caused us too many problems and were required to leave.​
If your brother can't help or won't help. Then he needs to leave. If your parents or others get on you for that. They can join him. There is no way I would allow someone living off of me, not to help and contribute. My kids are adults. One moved out at 22, the older is still with us. They understood/understand, they are not our roommates. They are family. And if they don't act like it, they can go find a roommate somewhere else. Period!​
Your family needs to acknowledge the same concept.​
Because your kids and you come first. You have to. Because you need to be there for your kids. Or, you are not taking care of your kids properly. You and your kids come before your siblings, and mother and father.​
Nowhere in scripture are we told we have to take abuse or be abused. If we are, we leave and protect ourselves and especially our children. And abuse comes in many many forms.​

Are you the owner of the car? If so, that is an asset. For you and your children. Do you have money to pay if your family wrecks it? Do they? If not. No one drives your car but you! Period. Your immediate family fails without it.

There are consequences for your bad decisions, and mine. You pay your consequences, learn, and move on. I pay mine, learn, and move on.
And there are consequences for your parents and siblings' bad decisions. They have made some. They are living with you. You can not pay for their bad choices. No can your children afford to pay for their bad choices. Your family pays and learns and moves on. Or not.

If you cannot afford them, if you lose your housing, if you can't work, lose your car, or can't get your kids to school; they need to leave! It is as simple as that.

Adults are people that take care of themselves. Children are what Adults take care of. If your parents and siblings cannot take care of themselves. They take orders from an adult. That is you. If they cannot abide that, they cannot perform as requested and then told, they leave. Period.

You love them, forgive them, and protect yourself and your kids.

Peace and Blessings.
You're right. It's just hard because I've been treated like crap by them and treated like a child by them for so long I just have to unlearn alot and it's not over night. I'm confronting my dad and he says he sees where did nothing wrong and gave me no apology.

It's alot I have to unlearn. My dad thinks I shouldn't ask him for anything; not money or help with my kids he should just be able to sit and eat and do whatever rent free.

I'm such a wimp. I keep thinking of what would happen to him but he's always treated me like crap. It's hard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You're right. It's just hard because I've been treated like crap by them and treated like a child by them this

Hi Macchiato!

Learning to forgive is hard. But it is commanded.

Peter asked Jesus, how many times should he forgive his brother. Why did he ask this? Because Peter was not looking to Reconciliation. He was looking to Revenge! I am not saying you are looking for revenge. Far from that. I am simply painting a broader picture of Forgiveness.

Rabbis used to say forgive 3 times. Peter even doubled that, to 7 times. But he was still after revenge.

Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.
70*7 is not a mathematical answer. It means to forgive endlessly. Over and over. It does not mean you can not learn from how people treat you, back away from them, or disengage from them fully. We can protect ourselves from them. But we are commanded to forgive.​
Why are we commanded to forgive? Because of what it does to us if we do not forgive.

A talent of gold is ~75 lbs. That is a huge debt to owe another.

Mat 18:23 Therefore is the kingdom of heaven likened unto a certain king, which would take account of his servants.
Mat 18:24 And when he had begun to reckon, one was brought unto him, which owed him ten thousand talents.
Mat 18:25 But forasmuch as he had not to pay, his lord commanded him to be sold, and his wife, and children, and all that he had, and payment to be made.
Mat 18:26 The servant therefore fell down, and worshipped him, saying, Lord, have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:27 Then the lord of that servant was moved with compassion, and loosed him, and forgave him the debt.
Mat 18:28 But the same servant went out, and found one of his fellowservants, which owed him an hundred pence: and he laid hands on him, and took him by the throat, saying, Pay me that thou owest.
Mat 18:29 And his fellowservant fell down at his feet, and besought him, saying, Have patience with me, and I will pay thee all.
Mat 18:30 And he would not: but went and cast him into prison, till he should pay the debt.
Mat 18:31 So when his fellowservants saw what was done, they were very sorry, and came and told unto their lord all that was done.
Mat 18:32 Then his lord, after that he had called him, said unto him, O thou wicked servant, I forgave thee all that debt, because thou desiredst me:
Mat 18:33 Shouldest not thou also have had compassion on thy fellowservant, even as I had pity on thee?
Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.
Mat 18:35 So likewise shall my heavenly Father do also unto you, if ye from your hearts forgive not every one his brother their trespasses.

Notice the lord was wroth and did not forget this man's due. He forgave him originally but did not forget. This lord is a symbol. Our Father Chooses not to remember. But he does not forget.

What are the tormenters? Perhaps they are anger, hatred, bitterness. We have all seen people who are full of anger and hate and eaten up inside by bitterness.

Forgiveness has three major components. Freely, Fully, Finally.

Freely - We forgive freely, because the Father, forgives you and I, because of the Son. Jesus asks the Father to forgive us. God does not forgive us simply because he created us or loves us or anything else. The father only forgives us because that is the request of the Son, which is able to make that request, because the Son obeyed the Father and laid his life down for us to pay our sins AND then requests the Father to forgive us. We are not forgiven because Jesus died for our sins. We have access to salvation because he died for us and our sins. But we are forgiven because Jesus intercedes on our behalf 24/7/365 in front of the Father to forgive us because Satan is continually accusing you and I of sin.

Eph 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Fully - The Father fully forgives us. He does not forgive us 50% and then we have to do the rest. He forgives us 100%

ol 2:12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
Col 2:13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15 And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.

A lie that some will tell you is that to forgive is to forget. That is not true. The lord did not forget what was due. He forgave him and gave him more time. But did not forget.

Mat 18:34 And his lord was wroth, and delivered him to the tormentors, till he should pay all that was due unto him.

So forgive your family, and if for no other reason, take the focus off of you and your family and forgive simply for Christ's sake.
But do not trust them in what they have demonstrated to be untrustworthy in. That may mean they cannot live with you. Or your brother cannot live with you. Or... That is for you to decide. But you do not need to allow them to treat you poorly. Because they cannot treat you with love, they will probably be able to treat your children with love. So you are protecting yourself and your children from manipulation.

Frankly, some parents and some siblings are horrible people. That is OK in that you do not have to partake of it. Not out of shame, guilt, tears, etc. They are responsible for the positions they have put themselves in. And it can be wonderful to help. But not if their is no peace in it.

Failure to forgive is a sin. Not a threat to salvation. But to fellowship with God. If you do not forgive, your fellowships with God stagnates, retards even. Fortive so that your relationship/fellowship with Jesus is not impaired.

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
You're right. It's just hard because I've been treated like crap by them and treated like a child by them for so long I just have to unlearn alot and it's not over night. I'm confronting my dad and he says he sees where did nothing wrong and gave me no apology.

It's alot I have to unlearn. My dad thinks I shouldn't ask him for anything; not money or help with my kids he should just be able to sit and eat and do whatever rent free.

I'm such a wimp. I keep thinking of what would happen to him but he's always treated me like crap. It's hard.

Just forgive him/them. But hold them accountable.
Dad, you do the dishes each day by 1 pm for breakfast and lunch. And by 7pm after dinner. Twice each day. And you make these dinners twice each week. And you fold this laundry twice each week. And drive mom to work each day. You do this every day until you find Full time work. At which time you chip in $500 in rent and pay for food.

Brother, you cook twice each week these dinners. You wash laundry twice each week. Sweep, mop, and vacuum once each week. And pick up mom from work each day. You do this until you find Full time work. At which time you pay $500 each month for rent and pay for food with your father.

Mom, you work, you don't do dishes, you don't do much laundry, or sweeping or moping. You save money to buy a car.

Anyone not on board has till the end of the week to be moved out.

They, your father and brother, are abdicating their responsibilities. As such, they are told what to do by those who accept the responsibilities. They made their choice. Now they live with the results of their choices.

You have to set expectations. And you have to have consequences that you FOLLOW through on. Don't lose your livelihood and that of your children to lazy, slothful, uncaring family. Don't do it!

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just forgive him/them. But hold them accountable.
Dad, you do the dishes each day by 1 pm for breakfast and lunch. And by 7pm after dinner. Twice each day. And you make these dinners twice each week. And you fold this laundry twice each week. And drive mom to work each day. You do this every day until you find Full time work. At which time you chip in $500 in rent and pay for food.

Brother, you cook twice each week these dinners. You wash laundry twice each week. Sweep, mop, and vacuum once each week. And pick up mom from work each day. You do this until you find Full time work. At which time you pay $500 each month for rent and pay for food with your father.

Mom, you work, you don't do dishes, you don't do much laundry, or sweeping or moping. You save money to buy a car.

Anyone not on board has till the end of the week to be moved out.

They, your father and brother, are abdicating their responsibilities. As such, they are told what to do by those who accept the responsibilities. They made their choice. Now they live with the results of their choices.

You have to set expectations. And you have to have consequences that you FOLLOW through on. Don't lose your livelihood and that of your children to lazy, slothful, uncaring family. Don't do it!

Peace and Blessings
Only my mom works. My dad will be out next week. I asked if either my mom or dad could help me take my kids to school bc I have work orientation my mom said I'm telling you right now I can't do it. You kept threatening to put out your dad you better beg him to do it.

My mom is paying the gas bill. That's it. I was telling her how we would split the rent she said we'll I'll be out before then. They don't care.

I feel there's nothing I can do.

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Only my mom works. My dad will be out next week. I asked if either my mom or dad could help me take my kids to school bc I have work orientation my mom said I'm telling you right now I can't do it. You kept threatening to put out your dad you better beg him to do it.

My mom is paying the gas bill. That's it. I was telling her how we would split the rent she said we'll I'll be out before then. They don't care.

I feel there's nothing I can do.
Give them 2 weeks and be done with it. Your car, your house, your kids.

My wife is a therapist. One of the things she will say that is hardest for people is to end one-sided relationships. We always want our parents to love us. We always hope they will change, mature, grow, improve. Some simply never do.

Sometimes there is just nothing you can do, and when they come calling for help, you tell them what you can do and what you can't. I

I can give you $300. I can take you to the store once a week. I can.

I cannot open my house to you. I cannot lend you my car. I do not have more than $300 to give you. I cannot drive you to work. I cannot.

You do not have to explain yourself. You do not explain yourself to users and people that just take.

Empower yourself by acknowledging there is little to nothing there and they are not there to help you. Only to be helped by you. Figure out how much you can safely help and for how long. And let the rest go.

Peace and Blessings.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Give them 2 weeks and be done with it. Your car, your house, your kids.

My wife is a therapist. One of the things she will say that is hardest for people is to end one-sided relationships. We always want our parents to love us. We always hope they will change, mature, grow, improve. Some simply never do.

Sometimes there is just nothing you can do, and when they come calling for help, you tell them what you can do and what you can't. I

I can give you $300. I can take you to the store once a week. I can.

I cannot open my house to you. I cannot lend you my car. I do not have more than $300 to give you. I cannot drive you to work. I cannot.

You do not have to explain yourself. You do not explain yourself to users and people that just take.

Empower yourself by acknowledging there is little to nothing there and they are not there to help you. Only to be helped by you. Figure out how much you can safely help and for how long. And let the rest go.

Peace and Blessings.
Yeah im done with both parents after this and I definitely do need some form of therapy. I'm really anxiety ridden.

Upvote 0

TPop

Nov 2, 2023
FL
✟18,652.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Yeah im done with both parents after this and I definitely do need some form of therapy. I'm really anxiety ridden.
They have a link to Better Help on here. My wife is a social worker/therapist and works through Better Help. Their rates are great for you.

But you want a social worker/therapist. Not a counselor or other. Social Workers go through a lot of ethics and licensing training that no one else does, not to mention the schooling for providing therapy.

Peace and Blessings

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,688.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They have a link to Better Help on here. My wife is a social worker/therapist and works through Better Help. Their rates are great for you.

But you want a social worker/therapist. Not a counselor or other. Social Workers go through a lot of ethics and licensing training that no one else does, not to mention the schooling for providing therapy.

Peace and Blessings
Hmm, thanks for this info

Upvote 0