• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addictive Personality

Krissy Cakes

Site Supporter
Aug 5, 2008
Idaho
✟91,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So I thought about addictive personalities. I thought, hmm everyone says I have one. So lets see what its says and lets take a test and see if I have it.

wikipedia.org;

An addictive personality refers to a particular set of personality traits that make an individual predisposed to addictions. Addictive behaviors are defined by the "excessive, repetitive use of pleasurable activities to cope with unmanageable internal conflict, pressure, and stress." This hypothesis states that there are common elements among people with varying addictions that relates to personality traits. People who are substance dependent are characterized by: a physical or psychological dependency that negatively affects their quality of life. They are frequently connected with substance abuse; however, people with addictive personalities are also highly at risk of becoming addicted to gambling, food, inappropriate contentography, exercise, work, and codependency.Scientists have been better able to understand addictive personalities as researchers delve further into understanding the chemistry of addiction. Alan R. Lang of Florida State University, author of an addiction study prepared for the United States National Academy of Sciences, said, "If we can better identify the personality factors, they can help us devise better treatment and can open up new strategies to intervene and break the patterns of addiction."

Here is my test;

http://www.lapage.com/cgi-bin/phelps.pl

And here is my score;

Your score: 339

Part I: Diet 79
Part II: Family History 52
Part III: Depression 57
Part IV: Alcohol Use 47
Part V: Drug Use 104

Interpreting Your Test

A relatively low score indicates that the individual has comparatively few risk factors suggesting that he or she may be at risk. A high score suggests a large number of such clues or risk factors; a middle-range score suggests a moderate likelihood that you are at risk. This means that the test will separate people into three large groups. Early experience with the test suggests that if you score under 50 on this test it is very unlikely that you are addictive. If you score between 50 and 100, you should definitely be on guard as you may be a person who has present or potential problems with addiction and you certainly are at risk. If you score above 100, it is extremely likely that you are an addictive person and probably already have one or more active addictions whittling away at your vitality and reducing the quality of your life. It is important to evaluate the partial scores as well as the total score.

It's conceivable that a score lower than 50 could be misleading and the person could actually have a problem already. For example, if the person eats little sugar and is unaware of depression, but has a heavy family history score and uses no alcohol or drugs, his/her total score could be below 50. He/she could be addictive and understand the potential risk of becoming addicted to sugar, alcohol or drugs in the future because of the heavy influence of family history. If the depression score is 12 or higher, regardless of the total score, the person should be evaluated for depression by a trained health professional.

If the depression score is high, addictiveness is a risk even without any known family history. Low scores may be obtained by persons with alcohol or drug problems if (1) those taking the test do not have adequate information about their family history, (2) depression is masked by regular alcohol and/or drug use, and/or (3) sugar intake is low because of alcohol consumption. In these cases low scores may result despite addictive use of alcohol and/or other drugs.