• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addiction has had me as low as a person can get lately

stevenb6

Apr 24, 2023
United States
✟10,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have various addictions, not really to alcohol or hard drugs or anything. I do take prescription drugs for mental illness and I do smoke cigarettes though. It's soul crushing honestly. I've not wanted to smoke for like 2 years now since I started. Unfortunately I still do, maybe haven't been praying hard enough I guess.

Either way, my point here is that of how terrible addiction really is. We pray to God so that we might have a better future right? So why is it that God allows us to destroy ourselves in the midst of trying to figure out our errors and correct them by turning to him? Even in prayer I struggle so hard, it just has me defeated mentally on how I could ever be happy when i've been miserable for so long.

Almost like what's the point? Even if God heals me one day, i'll probably have more health problems from the addiction I struggle with currently. I don't get it,

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟418,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, yeah, you don’t want to quit. It’s your only friend. Why be positive you’ll only be disappointed later. And prayer it’s the key, I’ll dispose of it because it hard and then I can really fail like my flesh wants. That’s stinking thinking don’t be ruled by the flesh. In The spirit is newness of life.

Upvote 0

Joseph G

Saved by the grace of Jesus Christ
Dec 22, 2023
Austin
✟26,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, yeah, you don’t want to quit. It’s your only friend. Why be positive you’ll only be disappointed later. And prayer it’s the key, I’ll dispose of it because it hard and then I can really fail like my flesh wants. That’s stinking thinking don’t be ruled by the flesh. In The spirit is newness of life.
Gotta agree. It IS a battle between the flesh and the Spirit. Dismiss all the psychological worldly mumbo-jumbo that may try to distract you from being truly healed.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years. So hardcore that I had determined I would smoke till the day I died. Would have to pry them from my cold, stiff hand on my deathbed - just like my Granny went out. No way I could cope without my cigs.

God had other plans. After He harassed me relentlessly over the course of about a year, I finally broke down and agreed with Him that it was indeed SIN. That was a major step. After all, that great hero of the faith C.S. Lewis smoked for 50 years, why couldn't I?

Then I tried to make excuses to Him to put off the quit date for months till He said in no uncertain terms to do it NOW! First time I had heard that 'still small voice' actually shout.

Put out that last %#&$ cig, took it and the ashtray AND the lighter to the trash, took the trash to the dumpster. DONE.

That was about two years ago. Not a single lapse since. In fact, the smell sickens me when I'm unfortunate to be around it. I look back and am amazed that I subjected myself and my loved ones to such stench. Much less the example of such weakness and lack of faith.

Anyway, having taken that one big step of faith, I figured it was gonna be shear torture in all ways. Amazingly I had no withdrawal symptoms at all. Ever. Ok good, well, surely I was gonna freak no longer having an hourly 'break' to look forward to - to relieve anxiety and escape responsibility for a few moments. Didn't need to and didn't miss the breaks at all. It was miraculous! I swear it wasn't a week or so before I stopped thinking about it at all. The obsession was GONE. Talk about a boon to your mental health...

In the last 2 years I can think of maybe 2 times when the temptation popped in my head. I laughed out loud and brushed off the enemy like flicking a fly off my shoulder. His power is BROKEN. He's pathetic. That idol is out of my life - physically, mentally and spiritually.

When people ask me how the heck I quit I tell them straight out - God did it. And I mean it! It's turned out to be a great opening to testifying for His Kingdom - a major benefit (you were wondering about) that anyone delivered from a self-harm fatalistic 'addiction' finds a joy to discover they now have. And especially developing a real heart for those similarly afflicted.

How did He do it? I didn't fully understand until looking back at the process.

Not so coincidentally, well before quitting He had impressed upon me to do what I had dismissed for 30 years of my walk - start each morning with a devotion - a combination of Bible study and prayer - potent combination.

That's it. If you aren't already doing so, I highly encourage you to do so. Replace a bad habit with a healthy one. Let Him guide you to what He wants to teach you - He is thrilled to do so. Nothing pleases Him more than faith.

Amongst a hundred other benefits, He used this discipline to teach me again how to truly fellowship with Him and depend on Him - daily. And importantly, to seek His Spirit for comfort (instead of cigs and other idols - which I discovered were numerous - all based on lies planted by the enemy) for relief from anxiety, depression, self-hate, fear, doubts and yes - hidden anger at Him (manifested partially as bitterness towards others). All these things He revealed to me from simply seeking His wisdom daily.

As you can guess by now, cigarettes were actually only one minor symptom of a host of spiritual strongholds. And I bet you can find on your own a plethora of Scriptures to address those I've listed (in case you identify with any of them).

So my strategic advice, even above your concern with cigs and psych meds or whatever, is to make your top priority spending daily time with Him seeking Who He really is, and in the process re-affirming who YOU really are in Him - VITAL to procuring the full armor of God and obtaining the POWER to succeed in your walk. He will deliver you from all the strongholds as you focus on just drawing near to Him. You do have to be patient with the process, however. He does everything in His time and according to His priorities - not ours.

Be aware that you are in a fight though. The enemy's number one goal is to kill and, failing that, silence and afflict you. He does that by relentlessly attacking your IDENTITY in Christ - through the strongholds I listed. Sound familiar? He does it to all of us. Let God take the fight to him for you in the spiritual realm and you are guaranteed victory! Use the Word, as revealed by His Spirit - to counter his lies.

Sorry for the novel and any presumptuousness on my part. There was just something about your post that drew it out of me. I think it was your comment about it being "soul crushing" - I can so relate. I just haven't been able to adequately articulate just what God has accomplished for me in the last 2 years - still can't. I can only sum it up as being drawn back to my "first love". I've prayed He's doing the same for you!

God bless.

Upvote 0

stevenb6

Apr 24, 2023
United States
✟10,194.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Gotta agree. It IS a battle between the flesh and the Spirit. Dismiss all the psychological worldly mumbo-jumbo that may try to distract you from being truly healed.

I smoked 2 packs a day for 30 years. So hardcore that I had determined I would smoke till the day I died. Would have to pry them from my cold, stiff hand on my deathbed - just like my Granny went out. No way I could cope without my cigs.

God had other plans. After He harassed me relentlessly over the course of about a year, I finally broke down and agreed with Him that it was indeed SIN. That was a major step. After all, that great hero of the faith C.S. Lewis smoked for 50 years, why couldn't I?

Then I tried to make excuses to Him to put off the quit date for months till He said in no uncertain terms to do it NOW! First time I had heard that 'still small voice' actually shout.

Put out that last %#&$ cig, took it and the ashtray AND the lighter to the trash, took the trash to the dumpster. DONE.

That was about two years ago. Not a single lapse since. In fact, the smell sickens me when I'm unfortunate to be around it. I look back and am amazed that I subjected myself and my loved ones to such stench. Much less the example of such weakness and lack of faith.

Anyway, having taken that one big step of faith, I figured it was gonna be shear torture in all ways. Amazingly I had no withdrawal symptoms at all. Ever. Ok good, well, surely I was gonna freak no longer having an hourly 'break' to look forward to - to relieve anxiety and escape responsibility for a few moments. Didn't need to and didn't miss the breaks at all. It was miraculous! I swear it wasn't a week or so before I stopped thinking about it at all. The obsession was GONE. Talk about a boon to your mental health...

In the last 2 years I can think of maybe 2 times when the temptation popped in my head. I laughed out loud and brushed off the enemy like flicking a fly off my shoulder. His power is BROKEN. He's pathetic. That idol is out of my life - physically, mentally and spiritually.

When people ask me how the heck I quit I tell them straight out - God did it. And I mean it! It's turned out to be a great opening to testifying for His Kingdom - a major benefit (you were wondering about) that anyone delivered from a self-harm fatalistic 'addiction' finds a joy to discover they now have. And especially developing a real heart for those similarly afflicted.

How did He do it? I didn't fully understand until looking back at the process.

Not so coincidentally, well before quitting He had impressed upon me to do what I had dismissed for 30 years of my walk - start each morning with a devotion - a combination of Bible study and prayer - potent combination.

That's it. If you aren't already doing so, I highly encourage you to do so. Replace a bad habit with a healthy one. Let Him guide you to what He wants to teach you - He is thrilled to do so. Nothing pleases Him more than faith.

Amongst a hundred other benefits, He used this discipline to teach me again how to truly fellowship with Him and depend on Him - daily. And importantly, to seek His Spirit for comfort (instead of cigs and other idols - which I discovered were numerous - all based on lies planted by the enemy) for relief from anxiety, depression, self-hate, fear, doubts and yes - hidden anger at Him (manifested partially as bitterness towards others). All these things He revealed to me from simply seeking His wisdom daily.

As you can guess by now, cigarettes were actually only one minor symptom of a host of spiritual strongholds. And I bet you can find on your own a plethora of Scriptures to address those I've listed (in case you identify with any of them).

So my strategic advice, even above your concern with cigs and psych meds or whatever, is to make your top priority spending daily time with Him seeking Who He really is, and in the process re-affirming who YOU really are in Him - VITAL to procuring the full armor of God and obtaining the POWER to succeed in your walk. He will deliver you from all the strongholds as you focus on just drawing near to Him. You do have to be patient with the process, however. He does everything in His time and according to His priorities - not ours.

Be aware that you are in a fight though. The enemy's number one goal is to kill and, failing that, silence and afflict you. He does that by relentlessly attacking your IDENTITY in Christ - through the strongholds I listed. Sound familiar? He does it to all of us. Let God take the fight to him for you in the spiritual realm and you are guaranteed victory! Use the Word, as revealed by His Spirit - to counter his lies.

Sorry for the novel and any presumptuousness on my part. There was just something about your post that drew it out of me. I think it was your comment about it being "soul crushing" - I can so relate. I just haven't been able to adequately articulate just what God has accomplished for me in the last 2 years - still can't. I can only sum it up as being drawn back to my "first love". I've prayed He's doing the same for you!

God bless.
Understand and agree with this, interesting read, thank you for taking the time to write this! I know it's gonna take time, i've been pretty rebellious, only out of ignorance, but rebellious nonetheless.

I'm doing just this too, I literally wake up excited to be in his presence, reaffirm verbally that I thank him and look forward to talking to him throughout the day.

Reactions: Joseph G
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I have various addictions, not really to alcohol or hard drugs or anything. I do take prescription drugs for mental illness and I do smoke cigarettes though. It's soul crushing honestly. I've not wanted to smoke for like 2 years now since I started. Unfortunately I still do, maybe haven't been praying hard enough I guess.

Either way, my point here is that of how terrible addiction really is. We pray to God so that we might have a better future right? So why is it that God allows us to destroy ourselves in the midst of trying to figure out our errors and correct them by turning to him? Even in prayer I struggle so hard, it just has me defeated mentally on how I could ever be happy when i've been miserable for so long.

Almost like what's the point? Even if God heals me one day, i'll probably have more health problems from the addiction I struggle with currently. I don't get it,
"Trying to figure out our errors.........." That's at least part of your problem right there. You need to entrust your life completely to Jesus. It's His job to deliver you, but He won't interfere if you insist on doing it yourself. He allows us to fail because He has an infinitely better way.

I knew someone who smoked most of his adult life, a Christian. He had no smoking related health problems. He finally was set free in his 60's. He discovered that he was bound by an evil spirit of nicotine. Once he was set free from that, the desire to smoke left too. He passed away in his 70's, no lung problems and no cancer.

Reactions: NBB
Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Understand and agree with this, interesting read, thank you for taking the time to write this! I know it's gonna take time, i've been pretty rebellious, only out of ignorance, but rebellious nonetheless.

I'm doing just this too, I literally wake up excited to be in his presence, reaffirm verbally that I thank him and look forward to talking to him throughout the day.
Most trade one habit for another. Can you think an innocent habit you like to do and trade it in. Then reward yourself with good behavior. I do a lot of rewarding:)

Upvote 0