Addictions to video games

Seonta

Jan 13, 2005
✟7,831.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Has anyone else ever gotten addicted to video games? I got crazily addicted recently. I used to play the legend of zelda ocarina of time when I was but a wee lass, just ride around and stuff not seriously. So I decided to download the rom and I played it for like 5 hours one day. I sometimes played it when I didn't want to just to get past a certain part. Then I deleted all the files and came back and started over and found that even though I just got half way through the game and started over it was still fun. Twas horrid.

Unbroken

Jan 18, 2007
Michigan
✟8,024.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Constitution
I don't consider myself addicted. I will say it's one of my primary passtimes. When I get off a long stressful day of work at the jail, and it's pouring down rain outside, I go home, turn on the computer, and hope my girlfriend doesn't smack me for it..

A few hours a day isn't necessarily an addiction I think, just means that it's an easily accessible hobby, just like a reef builder might go home and spend 2 or three hours on his aquarium, or a hunter might spend all day everyday for a week outside hunting.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

Gaming addiction is a myth designed to scare people and give politicians something to rail against. Games dont directly effect your body the way that food, drugs, cigarettes, or other substances do.

"Gaming addiction" is the will of the individual to keep playing. If you want to keep playing, you will. If you dont want to, you'll stop. Plain and simple. I've noticed that with every person who claims addiction, theres something else in thier life to make them want to escape into some sort of other world where real life cannot reach and hurt them.

Upvote 0
T

TempestTossed

Gaming addiction is a myth designed to scare people and give politicians something to rail against. Games dont directly effect your body the way that food, drugs, cigarettes, or other substances do.

"Gaming addiction" is the will of the individual to keep playing. If you want to keep playing, you will. If you dont want to, you'll stop. Plain and simple. I've noticed that with every person who claims addiction, theres something else in thier life to make them want to escape into some sort of other world where real life cannot reach and hurt them.
You have a great point, and I recommend not listening to scared parents and politicians on the subject of gaming addiction. Listen to psychologists or people who have been through it. There is a class of addictions called behavioral addictions. I suggest reading this article here:

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/strictly_dr_drew/qanda.html

Online gaming addiction is certainly one of those behavioral addictions. There are people who lose their families and their future getting sucked into a very fun game. You ever delay doing your homework by playing a game, and then you have no more time left? It is not simply a matter of will.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

You have a great point, and I recommend not listening to scared parents and politicians on the subject of gaming addiction. Listen to psychologists or people who have been through it. There is a class of addictions called behavioral addictions. I suggest reading this article here:
Behavioral addiction can manifest in ANYTHING. From biking to gaming to running. Its not the activity or the action itself that is addictive, its the feeling that the person's mind generates in association with that activity. Which, while it may not always be under the control of a person, it is still possible for them to recognize when they may be getting too involved in something and step away. Behavioral addiction is partly personal responsibility. Noboddy is incapable of recognizing when they might have a problem when they first start. If you recognize the fact that you have a problem with gaming too long or running too much or whatever, its up to you to say "Hey, this is not good, I need to take a step back" before it gets to the point of addiction. That is YOUR responsibility as a person.

Online gaming addiction is certainly one of those behavioral addictions. There are people who lose their families and their future getting sucked into a very fun game.
Because they didnt recognize the fact that they were getting too involved before it became a behavioral addiction.

You ever delay doing your homework by playing a game, and then you have no more time left? It is not simply a matter of will.
I actually never did homework. But yes that happened, I would get distracted. It IS a matter of will in the beginning. You can make a conscious decision to keep an eye on the clock and say "Ok, Im going to stop in twenty minnutes and work" and then follow through with it. It may be tough but its not impossible

not when the difficulty slider is at +100

besides, 'easiness' has nothing to do with it
I meant easy as in I lost interest in the game fairly quickly. It was a good game but it got tough to follow the story, you couldnt tell where anything was, and it took FOREVER to get wherever.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anyone else ever gotten addicted to video games? I got crazily addicted recently. I used to play the legend of zelda ocarina of time when I was but a wee lass, just ride around and stuff not seriously. So I decided to download the rom and I played it for like 5 hours one day. I sometimes played it when I didn't want to just to get past a certain part. Then I deleted all the files and came back and started over and found that even though I just got half way through the game and started over it was still fun. Twas horrid.
Five hours one day isn't addiction. Addiction occurs when an activity begins to significantly impact your normal functioning. When you continuously cannot function normally, you can consider yourself addicted. Read Steezie's stuff. He knows what he's talking about.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums