Is fallout a game that a Christian can play?

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting to the video game community of CF.And I’m here to ask something that I’ve been thinking about.
So I’m a fan of a game series called FALLOUT,it’s a game based in a 1950s futuristic world that is destroyed by nuclear bombs and you play in post-apocalyptic world.

So I’ve been having some conscience issues about the game.Basically a player can choose to be a moral and good person or a bad and evil person.My character whom I play as,in all the versions I’ve played has always been good and all my in game choices have been based on biblical principles.I’ve always sided with allied factions that benefit the post apocalyptic nuclear society.

There are some shady things in the current version I play.Such as alcohol,Addictive/But beneficial chemicals that help your health and combat,combat situations with very evil people and monsters,Choices(which I’ve never chosen and never will) for players to be a homosexual or fornicator,cussing in some parts,choices to steal or rob,etc.

Needless to say,I don’t drink in the game,I don’t get my character addicted to the drugs,and when I accidentally do,I use a chemical that removes addictions,and I never steal or partake in sexual immorality.I even downloaded a mod that allows you to marry a companion of your choice.

I’m just curious as to what a Christian perspective on this matter would be.I don’t want to be playing a game that God doesn’t approve of.In the Fallout game I’m playing,but avoiding because of conscience warnings,FALLOUT 4,I’ve allied with the kindest and most supportive faction called the minutemen who aim to support and help people of the wasteland and fight for democracy and justice.

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,213.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Never played the fallout games but I am somewhat fascinated by the character of Joshua Graham. A devout Mormon who takes his religion and duty to his people incredibly seriously. What's more, he isn't a joke and he isn't the villain of the game which I find amazing in modernity. Whoever wrote fallout New Vegas at least had some understanding of religion and the inspiration it gives.

As to the themes themselves. If you can't handle those themes you mentioned, don't play the game series. It isn't that God disapproves of games or entertaintment in general, but you need to be aware that these things will affect you and challenge your perception of the world. Especially if the product is good.

Reactions: Blaise N
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think the Fallout games are fine for a Christian so long as you're an adult. There are definitely adult themed situations throughout that are not appropriate for children. I'd say the real danger here is that like anything that we enjoy it should be done in moderation so as not to consume our lives. Obviously if it causes you to pray less, or interact with your family, and friends less then it's not so good for a person. Gameplay wise it can be a little graphic, but that is more of a personal choice as to what you find acceptable.

I've played through FO3, NV, and FO4. I enjoyed interacting with the world trying my best to do good for the various people, and factions. While I realize you're playing 4 I'd like to give FO3, and NV an honorable mention here because they had a karma system which grew positive, or negative depending on how you treated people, and interacted with the world around you.

So, no. I don't think there's specifically anything wrong with playing them as a Christian, personally. A person's mileage may vary depending on how you were brought up, and what you find to be acceptable viewing I guess, but there's nothing anti-Christian about any of those games. If anything it highlights just how fallen our world really is in their hypothetical scenario, and further highlights how we are able to positively effect those around us.

Video Games are Idolatry

As much as anything else a person can make into an idol. Alcohol, smoking, food, etc. That's very subjective, and not true in all cases.

Upvote 0

YeshuaFollower

Veritas vos liberabit
Dec 6, 2022
eastern townships, Quebec
✟17,234.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone!

This is my first time posting to the video game community of CF.And I’m here to ask something that I’ve been thinking about.
So I’m a fan of a game series called FALLOUT,it’s a game based in a 1950s futuristic world that is destroyed by nuclear bombs and you play in post-apocalyptic world.

So I’ve been having some conscience issues about the game.Basically a player can choose to be a moral and good person or a bad and evil person.My character whom I play as,in all the versions I’ve played has always been good and all my in game choices have been based on biblical principles.I’ve always sided with allied factions that benefit the post apocalyptic nuclear society.

There are some shady things in the current version I play.Such as alcohol,Addictive/But beneficial chemicals that help your health and combat,combat situations with very evil people and monsters,Choices(which I’ve never chosen and never will) for players to be a homosexual or fornicator,cussing in some parts,choices to steal or rob,etc.

Needless to say,I don’t drink in the game,I don’t get my character addicted to the drugs,and when I accidentally do,I use a chemical that removes addictions,and I never steal or partake in sexual immorality.I even downloaded a mod that allows you to marry a companion of your choice.

I’m just curious as to what a Christian perspective on this matter would be.I don’t want to be playing a game that God doesn’t approve of.In the Fallout game I’m playing,but avoiding because of conscience warnings,FALLOUT 4,I’ve allied with the kindest and most supportive faction called the minutemen who aim to support and help people of the wasteland and fight for democracy and justice.
Hello friend, I have played this game, I loved it, but I came to realize recently that videogames are very addictive and are 2 things, 1-a diversion from spiritual growth ( these games take all of your free time) and 2-they plunge you in this world of extreme violence, violence is not permitted in scriptures. I believe we are on the verge of cataclysmic events, yes the end times, leave these games alone, all of them, concentrate on learning the scriptures instead, time is short. I am sorry for my tone but i had to tell.

BLessings,

JFF

Upvote 0

JuliusSneezer

May 12, 2022
York
✟11,394.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As someone who’s played FO4, though it’s been quite a while, I don’t recall anything specific in there that you would have to violate your conscience over. While as others have noted we are to avoid violence, defense of ourselves and others is certainly not opposed to what scripture teaches.

A good bit of what attacks your character in game are monsters. The rest are thieves and criminals intent on murdering you to steal whatever you have on you. Fighting back against either of these wouldn’t classify as murder.

I suppose someone could be nit picky and say that you could snipe people before they have a chance to attack you. But no one is forcing you to play that way.

Again, it’s been a while since I’ve played so I may have forgotten something. But as far as I recall, the game doesn’t force you to engage in behavior that would violate your principles. As long as someone is mature and stable enough to separate video games from real life, you should be fine.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone!

A game is a make believe world. It doesn't make you sin if you engage in the mechanics of the game be it gambling, stealing or killing. When the power is off nothing you do in the game transpire in real life. You didn't kill, rob or cheat another person. Games are meant to be an amusement tool. How you use it matters. If doing anything including wholesome activity like charity causes you to forsake your life responsibilities, then that activity becomes unhealthy and you should avoid it for you can't stop yourself.

Gaming is not a sin. Games are not a sin. It is not what goes into us that makes us unclean but what comes out of us.

Reactions: WiSteel79
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,895.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I played an old PS2 game called Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne where we recruit demons from all mythologies to shape a new world order. And if you choose a certain path the final boss will be YHVH Himself. In this game YHVH is meant to be the controlling entity who thinks mankind can't be giving freedom to decide their own future. Only with His guidance can mankind prosper. Where Satan (yes the Devil) in this game while having a hidden agenda always presents himself as the rebel trying to break mankind from the yoke of YHVH's control.

I finished the game where I choose to defeat both YHVH and Satan to ultimately usurp both as the leader of all demons. The ending implies I with the legions of demons at my back shaped a new world from the ashes of the old.

I'm just fine after playing the game. I still love God, Jesus our Saviour and the Holy Spirit. Nothing changes in me. And I don't feel the need to suddenly turn against God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone!

I've played several Fallout games (FO3, FO:NV, FO4) extensively, so I'm familiar with them. If it irritates your conscience, or if you find that it grows attitudes in your spirit that the Holy Spirit has a problem with, then don't play it/stop playing. This is what I recommend for all video games.

Never played the fallout games but I am somewhat fascinated by the character of Joshua Graham. A devout Mormon who takes his religion and duty to his people incredibly seriously. What's more, he isn't a joke and he isn't the villain of the game which I find amazing in modernity. Whoever wrote fallout New Vegas at least had some understanding of religion and the inspiration it gives.
I'm convinced that New Vegas had a Mormon who did or at least influenced the writing. BTW, there is much more to the Graham character. Play the game to explore him as fully as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

I recall a blatant gospel presentation in the DLC for fallout 3 by the relic thief before she ended up dying. Fallout 4 seems to be departing from the original fallout universe, (jet was available before the bombs fell, and did not get developed by a crime family in the era represented by fallout 2. among other things) it also crashes if you try to play the RPG and minecraft in the same play through.

The weaponry in fallout 4 is in the realm of science fiction, I mean, explosive rounds on a machine gun? that's cheating. lol.

Fallout 4's protagonist is from the same generation as the people who engineered the vaults, so his dialogue options can become a little more twisted than in other fallouts. The previous fallouts were more biased towards picking the good social option so you can level up through quests. Before fallout 4, you could pick the evil option, but then ... you're evil and sometimes need to kill all the guards in an entire city just so you can visit again. Fallout 4 through the DLC actually encourages you to create settlements then betray them unless you kill all the raider bands in the Nuka World DLC.

It kind of paints a dark picture of how the US government came to be. You have settlements uniting together, but criminals and violent men ended up forming the central government later on by intimidating everyone to "pay them tax."

Though the main reason to not play fallout 4 is that it tends to crash after you play it too long: If you're looking for a game with a moral route where you can build something good, it's more difficult especially with the DLC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hawthorne

CF Singles High Council
Sep 1, 2005
Going to and fro and up and down in the earth.
✟44,826.00
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone!

If your conscience is bothering you, drop it. You don't need to stop playing it forever, but I would advise putting it down for a while and spend the time you'd be playing in other pursuits like prayer or reading scripture. Come back to it at a later point and see how it goes. Your conscience is pinging for a reason. Don't ignore it.

- - -

As far as its inherent morality, open world games like these usually have so many ways to play that you aren't restricted to playing an immoral build, though some games have far more options if you aren't bound by morality.

Don't forget the Brotherhood of Steel faction was directly inspired by the order of monks who preserved technology in the Catholic sci-fi novel A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's really a powerful book and I think Christian Fallout fans would appreciate it greatly.

• Informative
Reactions: Phronema
Upvote 0

Phronema

Orthodox Christian
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2016
Florida Panhandle
✟739,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Don't forget the Brotherhood of Steel faction was directly inspired by the order of monks who preserved technology in the Catholic sci-fi novel A Canticle for Leibowitz. It's really a powerful book and I think Christian Fallout fans would appreciate it greatly.

This is very interesting, and I was unaware of that fact along with the book. Thank you for mentioning this! I'll have to get that book, and read it. It'd be right up my alley.

Reactions: Hawthorne
Upvote 0

HumbleKnight

Mar 3, 2023
Edmonton
✟15,612.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fallout is an inherently violent franchise, with depictions of gore and horrific creatures that are a result of God's natural creations being mutated by radiation. There is little mention of the Christian faith aside from a handful of characters, instead replaced by depictions of idolatry and false gods. Your player character's tribe in Fallout 2 comes to mind.

The cathedral in Fallout 1 is also considered the main antagonist's base of operations, and is under the control of a cult that believes a mutant is their god/savior. Now you must discern whether these elements do not affect your soul and your thought processes in any way, because anyone can say that "X" product or "X" entertainment does not affect them, but in reality what we consume can have a drastic impact on the way we think and the way we live. Is watching films like Saw and Texas Chainsaw Massacre a Christian thing to do?, I'm not too sure. I view Fallout the same way.

The only explicitly "Christian" character I recall was one from New Vegas, but he is apparently a mormon and I do not consider any protestant sect to be Christians at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone!

I'm familiar with this game (and others) and they are just games. My view is that, unless it is tempting you or others to sin and/or there are no options to not avoid scenarios as you have explained above, it is not real so no need to worry about it as though it were.

Upvote 0

YorkieGal

Glory to God
Sep 6, 2023
USA
✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm familiar with this game (and others) and they are just games. My view is that, unless it is tempting you or others to sin and/or there are no options to not avoid scenarios as you have explained above, it is not real so no need to worry about it as though it were.
Example: I am watching a TV series where there is tons of sexual immorality but I can fast forward through these scenes and the rest are just historical. I don't view that to be sinful as I'm not tempted into sin. Interesting to see what others say, though!

Upvote 0
Nov 29, 2023
New Braunfels
✟5,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
War. War never changes.

...And neither does God.

Fallout is an inherently violent franchise, with depictions of gore and horrific creatures that are a result of God's natural creations being mutated by radiation. There is little mention of the Christian faith aside from a handful of characters, instead replaced by depictions of idolatry and false gods. Your player character's tribe in Fallout 2 comes to mind.

The cathedral in Fallout 1 is also considered the main antagonist's base of operations, and is under the control of a cult that believes a mutant is their god/savior. Now you must discern whether these elements do not affect your soul and your thought processes in any way, because anyone can say that "X" product or "X" entertainment does not affect them, but in reality what we consume can have a drastic impact on the way we think and the way we live. Is watching films like Saw and Texas Chainsaw Massacre a Christian thing to do?, I'm not too sure. I view Fallout the same way.

The only explicitly "Christian" character I recall was one from New Vegas, but he is apparently a mormon and I do not consider any protestant sect to be Christians at all.
I keep seeing people talking about how awesome Joshua Graham is and even recall seeing a video titled that he made people religious which is concerning to me. Especially since I converted and have since seen these games in a different light. Not once do Joshua or Daniel ever mention Jesus and what He did. And I'd suspect a lot of it is because the writers knew mentioning him would no doubt "alienate" a lot of their player base.

Anyway, I'll admit I still have a fondness for both Fallout 1 and NV. The games are stylistic, have a lot of replay value and have memorable stories and characters. But I don't see myself playing them again anytime soon.

Makes me wish for another post-apocalyptic roleplaying game, but perhaps you could play as a missionary trying to spread the Gospel in a decayed world filled with people without hope and constantly being challenged by the nature of a world scarred by atomic bombs.

Upvote 0