Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In the Church, video games are not well thought of": Father Monnier, a heavy metal-playing priest who is out of step

"It's not up to the Church to rule on popular culture, it knows nothing about it," says Father Bertrand Monnier.

Father Monnier, who is in charge of 28 parishes in the Meuse region of France, has just published his first book with the Catholic publisher Salvator: "The Ten Commandments of Video Games".

It is difficult to guess from the traditional celebration of his services that Father Bertrand Monnier, Parish priest of Verdun (Meuse), is a fan of metal music, video games as well as fantastic and medieval worlds. To realise this, you have to go through the door of the presbytery where the 43-year-old priest has been living since 2017. Amidst photographs of Pope Francis, the Bishop of Verdun or trinkets bearing the image of the Virgin Mary, one discovers a room entirely devoted to his passions: three super-equipped "gamer" computers sit surrounded by his heavy metal CDs, from Amon Amarth to The Offspring.

On the walls, posters of Heroes of Storm, Lord Voldemort or Middle Earth, the world imagined by J.R.R. Tolkien, father of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Father Monnier, who is responsible for 28 church towers in his native Meuse department, has just published his first book with the Catholic publishing house Salvator: "Les dix commandements des jeux vidéo" (The Ten Commandments of Video Games). The eldest of a family of seven children in which "their parents are still polite", Bertrand Monnier fell into hard rock in the 6th grade when a friend put Guns N'Roses in his ears for the first time.

"It was a bad idea."

Continued below.

Phoneman-777

Dec 11, 2022
Deep South
✟31,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the Church, video games are not well thought of": Father Monnier, a heavy metal-playing priest who is out of step

"It's not up to the Church to rule on popular culture, it knows nothing about it," says Father Bertrand Monnier.

Father Monnier, who is in charge of 28 parishes in the Meuse region of France, has just published his first book with the Catholic publisher Salvator: "The Ten Commandments of Video Games".

It is difficult to guess from the traditional celebration of his services that Father Bertrand Monnier, Parish priest of Verdun (Meuse), is a fan of metal music, video games as well as fantastic and medieval worlds. To realise this, you have to go through the door of the presbytery where the 43-year-old priest has been living since 2017. Amidst photographs of Pope Francis, the Bishop of Verdun or trinkets bearing the image of the Virgin Mary, one discovers a room entirely devoted to his passions: three super-equipped "gamer" computers sit surrounded by his heavy metal CDs, from Amon Amarth to The Offspring.

On the walls, posters of Heroes of Storm, Lord Voldemort or Middle Earth, the world imagined by J.R.R. Tolkien, father of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Father Monnier, who is responsible for 28 church towers in his native Meuse department, has just published his first book with the Catholic publishing house Salvator: "Les dix commandements des jeux vidéo" (The Ten Commandments of Video Games). The eldest of a family of seven children in which "their parents are still polite", Bertrand Monnier fell into hard rock in the 6th grade when a friend put Guns N'Roses in his ears for the first time.

"It was a bad idea."

Continued below.
What do you think of the recent bombshell in the news where that Air National Guardsman exposed the U.S. as conducting an illegal war with U.S. troops along with NATO troops on the ground fighting Russia, and that the whole thing is one massive ruse to funnel billions of taxpayer cash to unknown destinations?

You still standing with Ukraine?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What do you think of the recent bombshell in the news where that Air National Guardsman exposed the U.S. as conducting an illegal war with U.S. troops along with NATO troops on the ground fighting Russia, and that the whole thing is one massive ruse to funnel billions of taxpayer cash to unknown destinations?

You still standing with Ukraine?

Yep. And what has this to do with the op?

Upvote 0

Phoneman-777

Dec 11, 2022
Deep South
✟31,648.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yep. And what has this to do with the op?
I saw that while reading your tag or something. I just had to ask. Your answer further convinces me that no matter what amount of evidence is placed before people, they will stubbornly soldier forward in whatever beliefs they choose and if they trip over the truth, they'll pick themselves up and continue on their journey undeterred.

I mean, technically, Russia is well within their right to launch nukes at us, seeing that we're ACTIVELY engaging their troops with U.S. troops on the ground as we speak...and none of you seem to have a problem with that because of who sits in the White House.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,839.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I saw that while reading your tag or something. I just had to ask. Your answer further convinces me that no matter what amount of evidence is placed before people, they will stubbornly soldier forward in whatever beliefs they choose and if they trip over the truth, they'll pick themselves up and continue on their journey undeterred.

I mean, technically, Russia is well within their right to launch nukes at us, seeing that we're ACTIVELY engaging their troops with U.S. troops on the ground as we speak...and none of you seem to have a problem with that because of who sits in the White House.
Uh huh. Not the topic of the thread.

Upvote 0