glo1

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht anders.
Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps this has been discussed here before - it certainly has in other places ...

There are many similarities between the three Abrahamic faiths, and yet there is much animosity between them.
Despite all three religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) grounding their theology in 'the God of Abraham', many deny that they worship the same God.

What are your views?
Do Jews, Christians and Muslims worship the same God, or not?

If possible give reasons why you think so.

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Perhaps this has been discussed here before - it certainly has in other places ...

There are many similarities between the three Abrahamic faiths, and yet there is much animosity between them.
Despite all three religions (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) grounding their theology in 'the God of Abraham', many deny that they worship the same God.

What are your views?

There are similarlities between Judaism and Christian and Islam because Muhammad took some of their beliefs and made them "Islamic."

Jews and Christians worship the same God; Muslims do not. Although I believe that Muslims think they are worshipping the same God.

What the Muslims need to do is try to convince Jews and Christians that Muhammad was a true prophet.

The Muslims say that Gabriel visited Muhammad in a cave and asked him to read or recite, but they admit that whatever 'being" Muhammad encountered in the cave did not identify himself as Gabriel.

Strange, don't you think so?

Upvote 0

PassionFruit

I woke up like dis
May 18, 2007
In the valley of the wind
✟20,550.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
There are similarlities between Judaism and Christian and Islam because Muhammad took some of their beliefs and made them "Islamic."

Jews and Christians worship the same God; Muslims do not. Although I believe that Muslims think they are worshipping the same God.

What the Muslims need to do is try to convince Jews and Christians that Muhammad was a true prophet.

The Muslims say that Gabriel visited Muhammad in a cave and asked him to read or recite, but they admit that whatever 'being" Muhammad encountered in the cave did not identify himself as Gabriel.

Strange, don't you think so?

How does the angel Gabriel identify himself and how come you all don't worship the same God, it seems to be the same God as Jews and Christian so what makes Allah different?
So who was that being?
Assuming these events even occurred.

Upvote 0

Bookofknowledge

Senior Veteran
Sep 8, 2004
✟20,321.00
Faith
Muslim

What are your views?

No doubt there are similarities however these similarities takes different routes once they reach their parting areas.

Islam confirms and encourage "Come to what is common"

The faith of Abraham teaches there is only One God and Abraham(AS) never mentioned God has a son hence this is not common between those who believe there is Only One God and those who believe God has son.

Just like jews who worshiped the calf in absense of Musa (AS) were not worshipping the God of Musa (AS) similarly those who worship the son of God are not worshipping the God of Abraham(AS)

Upvote 0

RebYosef

Jun 8, 2008
Queens- NYC
✟15,810.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
There is only One G-d. You can tell if a person worships Him not by what they say or profess, but by their actions.

Well said. I am always perplexed by those who feel that HaShem is going to submit everyone to a theology exam during judgement.

Upvote 0

GeorgeTwo

May 31, 2008
✟39,702.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
How does the angel Gabriel identify himself

Like this:

Luke 1:19
The angel answered, "I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news.

and how come you all don't worship the same God, it seems to be the same God as Jews and Christian so what makes Allah different?

Allah claims he has no son in any sense of the word. YHWH claims He does.

YHWH:

6 I will say to the north, Give them up! And to the south, Do not keep them back! Bring My sons from afar, And My daughters from the ends of the earth 7 Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him. Isaiah 43:6-7

Psalms 2:7, I will declare the decree: The LORD has said to Me, You are My Son, Today I have begotten You. (Greek translation)

Psalms 2:7, "Let me tell of the decree: the LORD said to me, 'You are My Son,' I have fathered you this day."(Hebrew translation from the Tanakh)

Job 38:4 "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth? Tell Me, if you have understanding. 5 Who determined its measurements? Surely you know! Or who stretched the line upon it? 6 To what were its foundations fastened? Or who laid its cornerstone, 7 when the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God [beney 'elohim] shouted for joy? (NKJV)

Allah:

The Jews call 'Uzair a son of Allah, and the Christians call Christ the son of Allah. That is the saying from their mouth; (In this) they are intimate; what the Unbelievers of the old used to say. Allah's curse be on them: how they are deluded away from the truth. [Qur'an 9:30]

"They say (the Christians): "Allah hath begotten a son!" Glory be to Him! He is self-sufficient! His are all things in heaven and on earth! No warrant have ye for this!" (Surah 10:68)

And they say: "(God) Most Gracious has begotten offspring." Glory to Him! They are (but) servants raised to honour. Surah 21.26

They say: "Allah hath begotten a son" :Glory be to Him.-Nay, to Him belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth: everything renders worship to Him. To Him is due the primal origin of the heavens and the earth: When He decreeth a matter, He saith to it: "Be," and it is. Surah 2:116-117

So who was that being?
Assuming these events even occurred.

No one knows who that being was. Muhammad's wife's cousin first suggested it was Gabriel and the rest is history.

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Greetings! :)

Please remember that the Baha'i Faith, which is also a world-wide faith (in terms of localities where adherents reside, more widespread than all others except Christianity), is also eminently Abrahamic (indeed, our Founders were descended from ALL THREE of Abraham's wives)!

And yes, IOV all these faiths worship the same One God (as do all the major religions), although they call him various names.

Best regards, :)

Bruce

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think there are more than three.

An Abrahamic religion is a monotheistic religion that includes Abraham (Hebrew: Avraham‎ אַבְרָהָם ; Arabic: Ibrahim‎ ابراهيم ) as part of its history. Prominent examples are Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and sometimes the Bahá'í Faith.[1][2] Other, smaller religions that identify with this tradition—such as Druze—are sometimes included.[3] Abrahamic religions account for more than half of the world's total population. Today, there are around 3.8 billion followers of various Abrahamic religions.[4] Eastern religions form the other major religious group, encompassing the "Dharmic" religions of India and the "Taoic" East Asian religions—both terms being "parallels" of the "Abrahamic" category.[dubious – discuss]

Reactions: glo1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bengurion

Jun 17, 2008
✟15,121.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Private
Sura 5:59-60Say: \"O people of the Book! Do ye disapprove of us for no other reason than that we believe in Allah, and the revelation that hath come to us and that which came before (us), and (perhaps) that most of you are rebellious and disobedient?\"Say: \"Shall I point out to you something much worse than this, (as judged) by the treatment it received from Allah? those who incurred the curse of Allah and His wrath, those of whom some He transformed into apes and swine, those who worshipped evil;- these are (many times) worse in rank, and far more astray from the even path!\"

Upvote 0

glo1

Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So far most posts seem to indicate a perception that the Abrahamic faiths do not worship the same God.

Still my question remains. There is only one God of Abraham. So does it not follow that Jews, Christians and Muslims all worship the same God??? :confused:

When we make differentiations between the definition of God according to the different faiths, are those differences not the human perceptions and understandings we have of God?

Personally I believe we all do worship the same God, but give him different names and have a different understanding of his nature.

Upvote 0

glo1

Sep 23, 2006
✟10,681.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the difference is in who they feel God is and how they feel others have misrepresented Him. I DO believe they worship the same God (in the beginning) but that their views are what have changed, not who He is.
I agree with that statement.

God is who he is - eternally. He does not change! :clap:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
They seem the same to me. Yes they disagree. So what? Jews disagree with Jews, Christians with Christians, and Muslims with Muslims. It's not surprising that they don't want to acknowledge the other as "being on the right track".
QFT

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Jews disagree with Jews, Christians with Christians, and Muslims with Muslims. It's not surprising that they don't want to acknowledge the other as "being on the right track".

Fortunately, some of us take a more positive view! :)

I quote from the Baha'i scriptures:

"There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose. Arise and, armed with the power of faith, shatter to pieces the gods of your vain imaginings, the sowers of dissension amongst you. Cleave unto that which draweth you together and uniteth you."

(The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 114;
also Gleanings, CXI, pp. 217-8)

Best,

Bruce

Upvote 0

elwill

Feb 10, 2008
cairo / egypt
✟16,330.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
i used to read in the bible that jesus (pbuh) have a God , prayed to him and asked his follower to worship him alone

the same with mosas (pbuh) he worshipped one God

muslims worships the same God which mosas and jesus (peace be upon them) worshipped

so i think that we supposed to worship the same God

chapter3
64-Say (O Muhammad SAW): "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians): Come to a word that is just between us and you, that we worship none but Allah, and that we associate no partners with Him, and that none of us shall take others as lords besides Allah. Then, if they turn away, say: "Bear witness that we are Muslims."

Upvote 0

Rasta

Senior Veteran
Jun 20, 2007
✟22,444.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Fortunately, some of us take a more positive view! :)

I quote from the Baha'i scriptures:

"There can be no doubt whatever that the peoples of the world, of whatever race or religion, derive their inspiration from one heavenly Source, and are the subjects of one God. The difference between the ordinances under which they abide should be attributed to the varying requirements and exigencies of the age in which they were revealed. All of them, except a few which are the outcome of human perversity, were ordained of God, and are a reflection of His Will and Purpose. Arise and, armed with the power of faith, shatter to pieces the gods of your vain imaginings, the sowers of dissension amongst you. Cleave unto that which draweth you together and uniteth you."

(The Proclamation of Baha'u'llah, p. 114;
also Gleanings, CXI, pp. 217-8)

Best,

Bruce

Agreed. It is more positive, except for the few that are called a "human perversity".

Upvote 0

BruceDLimber

Baha'i
Nov 14, 2005
Rockville, Maryland, USA
✟18,339.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. It is more positive, except for the few that are called a "human perversity".

Not a problem unless you favor things like satanism and the Jim Jones massacre--which I trust you do not.

Peace,

Bruce

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.