✟8,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
heatherwayno said:
Ok- if you guys will be nice now I would just like to ask if you think that humans will eventually evolve into another species.

That's going to a point of some contention, I suspect. Humans are still subject to the mechanism of evolution - genetic mutation - but we're extremely good at controlling our environment and making negative genetic mutations irrelevant. So we're exerting some effect on our evolution.

Personally, I think that we will see humans begin to evolve into different species once we start colonizing other planets. Once you get groups isolated (or mostly isolated) like that, evolutionary digression is almost inevitable.

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Pete Harcoff said:
Btw, if you want to know more about evolution, I recommend Berkely's Understanding Evolution pages. Starting with Evolution 101, there's some decent material that should provide a better overview of the theory, it's mechanisms, and so on. There's also subsequent pages on it's relevance to biology and society, some evidence for evolution (barely scratching the surface really), and more.

Even though you may not agree with it, it's a good idea to understand it.

Yes- that is why I was here- not to try to change anyone's views or criticize. I realize that would be a waste of time for one person to do in a chat forum.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
heatherwayno said:
I just want to say one more thing- I have never claimed to teach an in-depth study on evolution.
But even if you teach a very basic course on it, doesn't that mean that you'll have to explain it?

We teach it as a theory along with the creationilist view. Thank you Pete for answering in a respectful tone. While I still don't agree I was just wondering how someone would respond.
What things don't you agree on? Did you understand the answers to the questions asked by you? Do you understand why they aren't valid objections to evolution theory?

I realize that most would respong to my question out of anger- but I am thankful that you did not.

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I may have sounded uneducated because of some of my statements. Everyone here has no doubtedly studied evolution in depth and I have not. That doesn't make me stupid. I haven't focused alot of my attention on learning the subject- but I think that one of the best ways to learn about something is to ask someone who believes it.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
heatherwayno said:
Yes- that is why I was here- not to try to change anyone's views or criticize. I realize that would be a waste of time for one person to do in a chat forum.
Don't know. I've seen that quite a number of times on this forum. Always from creationist to evolutionist though, haven't yet seen any convincing the other way round.

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See Tom- you have to go and be nasty again- of course I understood- and yes I do have to explain it.
The things that I do not agree on are that we have evolved into humans- I believe that God created the Earth in 7 days and that we were created in his likeness. I understand that all of these posts are defenses for evolution- that is what I would expect from people who beleive in it.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
heatherwayno said:
Yes, I may have sounded uneducated because of some of my statements. Everyone here has no doubtedly studied evolution in depth and I have not. That doesn't make me stupid. I haven't focused alot of my attention on learning the subject- but I think that one of the best ways to learn about something is to ask someone who believes it.
That explains my disbelief. In the netherlands, someone teaching biology (and hence evolution) will have had at least a college education in the subject. It's a requirement here to have a degree in the subject you're teaching.

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I really were here to change you- I would have learned more about the subject first. All I can say is that I believe in the Bible and that we are created in God's image. I am sure that doesn't make ya want to change does it? I would have researched the subject first.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
heatherwayno said:
I teach elementary school- 1 teacher is responsible for teaching all subjects. How in depth do you think a 10 year old should go in trying to understand evolution? In the Netherlands in elem school does one teacher teach all subjects?
ah, that explains at least part of it. In the Netherlands it isn't touched upon untill first grade high school (kids are about 12 years old then). What is taught in elementary school are basic writing and math skills, some history. Biology is touched upon, but then descriptive (ie getting to know different animals and plants and a little bit on how they function). Evolution is considered too abstract yet to touch upon. The concept of a group evolving, not individuals etc, is hard enough to teach kids from about 12 years old, let alone minors.

Upvote 0

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
heatherwayno said:
I teach elementary school- 1 teacher is responsible for teaching all subjects. How in depth do you think a 10 year old should go in trying to understand evolution? In the Netherlands in elem school does one teacher teach all subjects?

Going back to your opening post, a number of people have now given answers to your questions.

Do you feel that your questions have been answered fully?

Upvote 0

lemon_drop

May 23, 2006
New York
Visit site
✟15,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
michabo said:
But Protestants came from Catholics, so Protestants must be more advanced! It makes no sense for there to still be Catholics!

Protestants did not come from Catholics in the same manner that evolutionist claim we evolved. After all, another poster mentioned that the "animal" humans and chimps descend from is no longer here. The Catholic church is still very much here as are Protestants.

Upvote 0

Frumious Bandersnatch

Contributor
Mar 4, 2003
Visit site
✟23,431.00
Faith
Unitarian
lemon_drop said:
Protestants did not come from Catholics in the same manner that evolutionist claim we evolved. After all, another poster mentioned that the "animal" humans and chimps descend from is no longer here. The Catholic church is still very much here as are Protestants.
A better analogy might be "If dogs came from wolves, why are there still wolves". Humans didn't descend from modern apes but there is nothing I know of that presents descendant species from existing at the same time as ancestral species. All that is required is reproductive isolation for some reason. Ring species would seem to be a classic case of this.

F.B.

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
nope steen it is a public school- but it is in a rural christina area. So, I am sure that opens the door for more insults but...
BTW- if I were to do an in-depth study on every topic I have ever taught- I would have no time to teach!
There are 7 subjects per day!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
heatherwayno said:
nope steen it is a public school- but it is in a rural christina area.

You teach creationism in a public school? I'm a bit surprised. I would have thought that after Edwards v. Aguillard (and the more recent, Kitzmiller v. Dover School District) public schools would have shied away from teaching creationism.

Upvote 0

lemon_drop

May 23, 2006
New York
Visit site
✟15,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
heatherwayno said:
nope steen it is a public school- but it is in a rural christina area. So, I am sure that opens the door for more insults but...
BTW- if I were to do an in-depth study on every topic I have ever taught- I would have no time to teach!
There are 7 subjects per day!

I teach at the high school level. Our school year ended and I am still sane, LOL. Anyway, I have not fully embraced all aspects of evolution. At the same time, I don't see it as being anti-God. It all depends on the perspective of the individual evolutionist. I found out in college (about 100 years ago :crosseo: ) that christians should not avoid embracing science. Just ask yourself this: Should christians not be involved in something as important as this? If you can't accept evolution, keep in mind that it has not been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt. No one should fault you for not embracing it. That would be just as ignorant as someone forcing a particular religion on people. At the same time, remember it does not deny God's existence. It depends on the individual.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
lemon_drop said:
I teach at the high school level. Our school year ended and I am still sane, LOL. Anyway, I have not fully embraced all aspects of evolution. At the same time, I don't see it as being anti-God. ...
If it goes aganst what the bible teaches, that God created the animals and man, that is against the bible. If you simply mean that things have evolved in the past, well, no that does not affect the bible, as I can see.

that christians should not avoid embracing science. Just ask yourself this: Should christians not be involved in something as important as this?

Where evolution is taken to mean that there was no creation, and the evolving happenned instead, in effect creating the creatures and us, that is not important, but clap.

If you can't accept evolution, keep in mind that it has not been proven beyond the shadow of a doubt.
It has not even been shown as a sick maybe when we go beyond the original creations as a starting point for evolution!

No one should fault you for not embracing it.
They should have a nobel prize for it!

At the same time, remember it does not deny God's existence. It depends on the individual.
The stuff that starts at the pond does. Absolutely, the bible has a different story.

Upvote 0

lemon_drop

May 23, 2006
New York
Visit site
✟15,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Pete Harcoff said:
Er, but the same is true of any scientific theory. There is always the possibility of exceptions waiting to be found.

Exactly. That is why I can't understand why either side is so up in arms. Of course, I am only on the outside looking in.

May I ask who WinAce was?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.