Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
heatherwayno said:
BTW- Tom you have spelled some words wrong. Just want to fit in with everyone else here
I'm sure I did, I'm not a native english typer/speaker. But then again, I was not the one criticizing your english typing abilities:wave:

But I promise you that if I speak english, you won't notice my typos ;)

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do in fact think that evolution should be presented to students. If the majority of scientists are following that then if we only teach creationism, then they are not going to be competitive with other students when it comes to getting into college, a job etc. Just because something is in a textbook and we teach it doesn't mean I have to believe it. In SS books, the vietnam war is rarely even mentioned and if it is, it is usually not historically accurate. We teach what is in the books because that is what students are tested on and what our job depends on.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
heatherwayno said:
Creationism in in some science books- it is listed as a theory. We never tell students in our school that evolution is not true- but it is not the only theory as to the origin of hte human species- so it should not be the only one taught.

The thing is, a "theory" in science has a very specific meaning behind it. A scientific theory is something that has withstood a good amount of scrutiny and is well-supported by data.

So to call evolution a "theory" in science is to actually say that it has been well tested and supported by a solid amount of data and observation (which it has).

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't understand the meaning of the term "theory" when applied to science. A lot of the time, people equate it to the layman's definition of the term, which is incorrect. It's important to understand that there is a difference and that evolution being a "theory" in science means it's actually quite well supported.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
yes- I am aware of what theory means. I know that if something is a theory that it does not mean it is not supported by facts.
If an apple falls to the ground- it is becuase of gravity. The theory behind this the theory of gravitation.
I know that in science- theories are not just ideas- what I mean is that they are not opposed to facts.

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
steen said:
Teaching creationism to kids will only make them worse at science and diminish their opportunities in life. It borders on child abuse.

Oh please, this is a severe overreaction. Teaching kids creationism may give them a warped and incorrect view of certain sciences, but don't even claim it borders on child abuse. That's ridiculous.

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
heatherwayno said:
yes- I am aware of what theory means. I know that if something is a theory that it does not mean it is not supported by facts.
If an apple falls to the ground- it is becuase of gravity. The theory behind this the theory of gravitation.
I know that in science- theories are not just ideas- what I mean is that they are not opposed to facts.
What do you mean with "opposed to facts"?

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So teaching children creationsim is child abuse even if it is taught alongside evolution? If that is the case- then we have to take alot of things out of our curriculum including the study of native americans as well as greek mythology. They give explanations for how the universe and beings were formed. Why are people so threatened by letting the students hear another side to this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes Steen- child abuse is more serious than teaching them someones opinion- I have seen alot of children who are abused in ways more horrible than you could imagine and sometimes the only thing that gives them any hope or joy is knowing that there is a God who loves them. What is the harm in teaching them this?

Upvote 0

heatherwayno

Jesus- Lover of My Soul!
Jan 29, 2006
Maryland
✟7,285.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Earlier in this thread I asked if you guys thought (by the way please don't tell me that it is not proper grammar to say you guys- i know that), that humans would ever evolve into another species. Someone said that they believed they would or either become exctinct. If humans became exctinct- what would happen to the world? There would be no intellegent life left? I know you don't have the answers to this- the possibilities are endless but it would make a really good book or movie!

Upvote 0

Byelotsar

Jun 28, 2006
✟8,560.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
heatherwayno said:
Earlier in this thread I asked if you guys thought (by the way please don't tell me that it is not proper grammar to say you guys- i know that), that humans would ever evolve into another species. Someone said that they believed they would or either become exctinct. If humans became exctinct- what would happen to the world? There would be no intellegent life left? I know you don't have the answers to this- the possibilities are endless but it would make a really good book or movie!

Over a long enough timeline, I think we'd probably see intelligence re-emerge. Intelligence is far from a certain outcome of Evolution, but the sun has, what, five billion years left in its life? Lots and lots of time. That would be pretty interesting, though, for these primitive intelligent critters to stumble upon all the various creations of mankind. I have to wonder how that might affect their cultural development.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.