1. New: Christian Forums Staff Recruit Video.- It's that time of year again. We are having our annual Staff Recruit Drive. Simply ask any staffer to help you apply and enjoy the video...
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

a thought to ponder

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by heatherwayno, Jun 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heatherwayno

heatherwayno Jesus- Lover of My Soul!

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I totally believe in creation- evolution goes against what my God has done but i was just wondering what someone who believes in evolution would say about this.

If evolutuion is true- and the earth has been around for billions of years and humans have evolved from very primitve beings, why are there still babies born with abnormailities. Beings evolve to adapt and become more advanced than their ancestors. So, evoluiotn has had billions of years to get this right- yet still there are deformalities, people with genetic diseases. Just wondering how people would respond to what I feel is a strike towards evolution. (BTW- I am a teacher - I have had to teach evolution as a theory- which is in fact what is it). Also, if we evolved from ape like beings- why are they still here?

2. michabo

michabo reason, evidence

Faith:
    Atheist
    Because of abnormal chemicals or hormones during development (e.g.: thalidomide), recessive genes which rarely express themselves, mutations, or genes which may be advantageous during other circumstances.

If you would like something more specific, can you give us a specific example?
    There's no such thing as an animal which is more or less advanced. We have all been on the planet for the same amount of time, and so we are all equally evolved.

You may be thinking of the representation of human ancestors walking more and more upright, implying a direction, and implying that we are the end goal. But this is not an accurate representation of evolution in general.
    If protestants evolved from catholics, why are there still catholics?

3. heatherwayno

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Catholics are still here because they chose not to become protestants. Are you saying that apes are still here because they chose not to become humans?
    That makes no sense!

4. heatherwayno

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I understand that things sometimes go hayware- that their are abnormal chromosomes and genetic mutations causing offspring to be born with a defect- one would just assume that after billions of years- that beings would be perfected.

5. ImmortalTechnique

ImmortalTechnique Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    humans ARE apes. and it scares me that you are a teacher, if you are in fact a teacher. your post is riddled with spelling, grammatical, and logical problems.

if you are actually teaching EVOLUTION (as you claimed) then as a science teacher, you should know that a theory is about as good as it gets. you teach gravity as a theory, too, of course. and the idea that germs cause disease, etc.

6. NamesAreHardToPick

NamesAreHardToPick All That You Can Leave Behind

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Other-Religion
    "Evolving" =/= Becoming perfect.

Keep in mind that the processes by which evolution occurs, natural selection, mutations, genetic drift, etc, are not conscious.

Also keep in mind that the definition of perfection is relative to the individual as a world without any trouble is hardly what I would call perfect, but boring. I personally like life's ups and downs, but that's just me.

LienShen likes this.
  7. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Humanist
    Humans didn't evolve from apes that are living today they share a common ancestor with them.

The animal that both humans and chimpanzees evolved from no longer exists.

An analogy would be you and your cousins, you are both descended from a common ancestor, your grandparents, in time your grandparents will die, but you and your cousins will still exist.

Do you follow?

8. Athene

Athene Grammatically incorrect Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Anglican
    Interesting. your profile says you are a teaching assistant to Kindergarten students .. . since when did teachers aids do any actual teaching and since when do Kindergarten students get taught evolution?

marblehead likes this.
  9. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Humanist
    Every child is genetically different to its parents due to mutations when the gametes were formed, in some children a mutation may bring adverse affects.

With out mutatuon there would be no evolution, but it also means that there will always be genetic defects in the human population.

10. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Humanist
    Evolution is a theory, and it always will be. A scientific theory is an explanation of an observation, in this case the diversity of animal life, it never gravitates to become a fact.

No scientific theory will ever be a fact or be proven, that is because that is dogma ( which is anathema to science ), and it disallows any subsequent evidence that may come along that might mean that a theory has to be discarded or modified.

No one will ever prove the theory of evolution, proof only happens in mathematics.

11. JohnR7

JohnR7 Well-Known Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    This is a double wammie for evos. There are many, many more "bad" mutations, then there are benificial mutations. So, in order for natural selection to work, it must eliminate all of the bad and allow what little bit of good there is though. Evolution can not talk place without "good" mutations. At least according to the theory they call evolution right now.

So if evolution can not effectively eliminate the "bad" mutations, than what evidence do we have that natural selection is allowing the good mutations to go though? It is a nice theory, but in the real world, when the rubber meets the road, it does not hold air. The theory does not work in the real world, only on the drawing table.

LienShen likes this.
  12. Byelotsar

Byelotsar Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Atheist
    How does evolution not eliminate detrimental mutations? They'll still happen - the very fact that we have concepts like Downs Syndrome or Sickle Cell Anemia indicates that such things can and do recur, sometimes even in predictable ways.

Don't forget that humans can overcome many such debilities through technology and social structure. If a child has Downs, he or she can be offered extra support and special environments in which he or she can thrive despite the disability. A lot of people with Downs remain productive members of society.

In nature, this is not so. Retardation, just like genetic abnormalities that lead to missing limbs, poor eyesight, or bone deformity, is evolutionarily selected against - these members of the species are far more likely to die before being allowed to pass on their genes. Thus, the mutations which result in environmentally greater difficulties are "weeded out", while those which allow for environmentally better performance are gradually reinforced.

The question you should be asking is not why evolution still "allows" for such things to happen - evolution is all about change, not some arbitrary notion of progress, and some change is bad change - but why any compassionate creator deity would.

13. dad

dad Undefeated

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian

14. dad

dad Undefeated

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I would be careful revealing ANY personal info, even state or country if I were you. People get fired or arrested for being Christian, and practicing faith these days, when ratted out by some.

15. michabo

michabo reason, evidence

Faith:
    Atheist
    But Protestants came from Catholics, so Protestants must be more advanced! It makes no sense for there to still be Catholics!

16. Edx

Edx Senior Veteran

Faith:
    Atheist
    Arrested? [​IMG] [​IMG]

17. Split Rock

Split Rock Conflation of Blathers

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    Evolution may go against what you would like to think your God has done. The idea that he created life that would kill and suffer, etc. is not in line with your concept of God.

Abnormalities are due to a number of reasons. One is mutation... mutation is necessary for adaptation to the changing environments organisms must face, but can also lead to death or genetic disorder for individuals. Evolution works with populations however, and populations can evolve only because of the variants produced by mutation. Another reason is due to errors occuring during meiosis. Life is not perfect, but it works well enough. That is all that is required.

There is no real "advancement" in evolution. Bacteria have been around for billions of years and they are just as good at what they do as we are. Populations must always to able to change in response to their environment. This means they can never be perfect, or perfectly adapted.

Under what circumstances did you teach evolution? Do you know the differences between an Hypothesis, a Law, and a Theory?
    See: Post #38 here: http://www.christianforums.com/t3116556-hot-diggity-i-need-me-some-proof.html&page=4

We did not evolve from modern apes, we chare a common ancestor with them. We did not evolve from any modern primate, mammal, or vetebrate. Yet, we share a common ancestor with all of them.

18. dad

dad Undefeated

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Yes. That is possible. Fired, as well. I don't think if some teacher was in the public school sysytem in Canada, the US, or many other places, getting fired or arrested is a stretch if they really spoke what they thought was the truth.
    Are bibles and prayer legal in many places, for example? Is telling what God taught in the bible about sodomites legal? Is even sticking a cross up in the class for a decoration, or some such even legal? How about praying with the class, and getting them all saved? How about showing Jesus of Nazereth, or some such at Easter? How about doing a Christmas play on baby Jesus, regardless of what the school board says? Just a little taste of the antichrist spirit that has taken hold these days.

19. dad

dad Undefeated

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    I believe in creation too. I also believe that the ability to evolve was a part of creation. In other words, 6000 years ago in Eden, the dogs, for example that God created had the ability to adapt or evolve into many types of things in the dog family. Cats, for example also had this ability, and may have even (if the evidence was there to show that was how it happened?) adapted into sabre tooths, tigers, etc. So all evolution was recent, and started from Eden's creatures. Since they cannot take it any further back than that with science, all else is clap!!!

20. heatherwayno

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Yes- I do actual teaching- just don't get to pick what I want to teach- I teach what the teacher tells me too. Also, I get bumped around to different grades. I was a sub for 4 years and taught alot of science then as well.
    It amazes me that the only thing you have to contribute to this conversation is not an answer or defense, but only you trying to question my credentials. That in turn, makes you look uneducated- not me- nor will I lose sleep over the fact that people here have nothing better to do than pick out my spelling and grammar mistakes. Stop trying to make me feel inferior- becuase you won't do it- I have a God that I believe has died for me and created me which makes me worthy of more than your criticsm. I was just asking a question and did not say anything negative to anyone here until this point. I guess that is what is to be expected- I am in a thread full of non-christians who feel the need to be nasty instead of how Christians would have handled the situation- with understand and love.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.