in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟23,212.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I think God spoke to our forefathers using the knowledge they had at the time.

This is what Coyne also say in this talk:

EDIT: I have to apologize. He did not. It is not in this talk he did that.

I don't agree with Coyne, but loves to listen to him (in particular I like this talk) because it is a beautiful picture he paints up. I think he has a consistent and coherent view on his beliefs with respect to what we know today and what people knew back them. I think you will like his talk and find yourself agree to what he has to say, at the very least it is food for the thoughts.

If the linking is done correct it should also link to a play list. I recommend you to watch the other videos as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟23,212.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I struggled with reconciling the science of creation/evolution with Genesis for a long time.

I would recommend you to listen to what the paleontologist Donald Prothero has to say about this in this clip, starting at 3:52

Donald Prothero is a well know scientist and author of the book Why Evolution Matters. In this talk, "Evolution: What the Fossils Say" based on the previous mentioned book, Prothero starts by drawing the attention to the following points:
  • Most mainstream believer (Protestant, Catholics and Jews) accept evolution.
  • More than 10 thousand minister, priest and rabbis officially support evolution.
  • More than 50% of evolutionary biologist and paleontologist are religious.
  • Science and religion are non-overlapping ways to look at the world.
  • The bible tells how to go to heaven not how the heavens go.
Only surprising to me is the 3rd point. I have seen other figures (lower) and I don't know where here got this figure from, so will have to check on it. But I would suspect he refers to US high school teacher, since that would fits the number I heard when it come that group. In the figures I seen, religious beliefs drops when we talk about scientist and drops even more when we talk about the top scientist (then the figure is about 5-10%). Still, the point is valid; religion and science (in particular evolutionary theory) is not mutual exclusive, or incompatible, with a belief in the biblical god as some tries to make it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I struggled with reconciling the science of creation/evolution with Genesis for a long time.

I ended up doing a lot of research and found that most Biblical scholars interpret Genesis differently than the majority of pastors and church-goers.

This interpretation resolved this whole creation/evolution debate for me.

I'm writing about this "polemic" interpretation if you want to follow along with me:

If you have big doubts about faith, I'm hopeful this will get rid of a big area for you like it has for me.

-Stephen
I didn't read the whole article yet, but wanted to say amen to the polemic idea. In fact, my husband and I have been saying this for years and the book, "The Genesis Record" really opened my eyes to what Genesis really does say, vs. what we are taught it says.

I was on these boards once talking about how Genesis isn't a scientific treatise but a polemic and the main opposition was an evolutionist theist. We ended up starting a whole nother thread to discuss it and that poster couldn't get past what beginning is referring to in order to deal with the whole idea of a polemic, which is very sad indeed. Bravo, now to read the article.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Why does there have to be a New Interpretation of Genesis? What is wrong with the hundreds we already have?
I don't think it is about a "new" interpretation at all, I think it is about the correct interpretation based on HS teaching, careful study, literary rules, etc. IOW's too many people try to read the Bible differently then they read other written text for meaning. When we apply the same rules of meaning to the Bible, something wonderful happens that we never expected. When we compare that "new" interpretation to the totality of scripture to discover the intent of the passage, we can proceed with confidence that the interpretation is from God and not man.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Nothing is wrong with the hundreds of years we already have. I think God spoke to our forefathers using the knowledge they had at the time. We are really doing the same thing our forefathers did. We are taking the knowledge we have now - both scientific and archaeological - and interpreting Genesis as best we can to determine what God is trying to tell us.
-Stephen
thus the conclusion that it is a polemic and not a scientific treatise at all, thus requiring us to understand it's message accordingly.

Upvote 0

In situ

in vivo veritas
May 20, 2013
Amsterdam
✟23,212.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
You wrote on your blog : I won’t bore you with a laundry list of my research methods but suffice it to say that I have spent somewhere in the ballpark of 80-100 hours researching this topic. But most importantly, I’ve looked at all sides of the arguments with an open mind.

I don't want to be offensive but put things in a perspective here. I am sure this is quite some time invested on your behalf but you have to realize when it come to scientific topics, 100 hours is a drop in the ocean. A typical undergraduate student will spend about 5000 hours just learning the basic stuff in his or her field. That time does not account for high school education, prep. courses, etc nor does it include the time for post graduate studies, such as master or a doctors exam. I am not saying you wrote that to impress, clearly you did not, but still - considering what I just written - to me it is not an impressive amount of time you spent looking into this, considering that and expert in the field typically spends somewhere around 100 times more time (i.e. ~5-6 years full time work v.s. 2 weeks) learning a subject - and then only focused on one or very few narrow questions in his or her field. And when we talk about gray haired and bald guys like Coyne we talk about people that spent around up to 100 thousand hours on these subjects... Therefore, based on how much there is to know and learn, I would say it is virtually impossible to have looked (and understood) "all sides of the argument" in just 100 hours, no matter how open minded one are.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmyjimmy
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I agree, Pratical. Certain biblical claims are subject to scierntific testing. This is true of the biblical cosmology, which science rendered obsolete way back when. That is only to be expected. Divinely inspired as it may be, the Bible is the product of a pre-scientific, semi-barbaric culture. It is only to be expected it would contain little of scientific merit. God works with the grain, not against it. God can only move us forward as far as we are willing and capable of going. So it is only to be expected God would not be in the business of revealing advanced scientific truth to the biblical writers. In the first place, the Genesis account is really two conflicting accounts back to back. These had different POV's and came from different times.

Upvote 0

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It is interesting to me that people look to so many places to find out the 'hidden meanings' and scientific 'proof' to understand the writings of the Bible while, by doing so, they are totally ignoring the simple truth you get just by believing what is written in the first place.

If you need proof to believe then you have no faith to begin with. Faith is not blind, it is believing.

Blessings,

Alan

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mister_Al

Jun 9, 2005
✟9,656.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Blind faith is no faith, MisterAl. Strong faith always leads to deep questions, as St. Thomas Aquinas pointed out.

It's not real faith if what you believe must be proven and documented before you can believe it. Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. When you must prove things before you can believe them you don't have faith, you have knowledge.

John 20:29 American Standard Version (ASV)

29 Jesus saith unto him, Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Alan

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,144,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I ended up doing a lot of research and found that most Biblical scholars interpret Genesis differently than the majority of pastors and church-goers.

This interpretation resolved this whole creation/evolution debate for me.

I'm writing about this "polemic" interpretation if you want to follow along with me:

If you have big doubts about faith, I'm hopeful this will get rid of a big area for you like it has for me.

-Stephen

Hello Stephen,

So as not to repeat ad nauseam what others have already said, I'll just say: I'm hitch'n a ride on the BioLogos train, and you're welcome to climb aboard! For me, it has always been the "practical" thing to do.

And welcome to CF!!
Peace
2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Blind faith is just that, MisterAl, totally blind, and so precisely what leads to ignorance, fanaticism, superstition, and undue fear. Such a view has been prompted in certain Christian circles down through the years and is precisely why the church got itself into real trouble. Faith is always a leap or jump, but it is not a jump where you are blind, in the dark, and can't see. It is always a jump with some real degree of knowledge, with some reality basis to it. I don't know what church you attend, but I do know that I and many other Christians would be very uncomfortable attending a church where you had to cut your head off every time you entered.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Qu9ite right, Razzle, the world of biblical scholarship is not at all like the world of laity. There is a huge town-gown chasm that can be difficult to breach. The world of scholarship is light years from the world of the laity. The goals are different, the priorities are different, and the conclusions are very different. Many laity go to Scripture with teh attitude that it is inerrant, that everything happened just the way Scripture says it did. Biblical studies works quit4e differently. You go to Scripture, with an open mind. Maybe it is inerrant, maybe not. Let's test out the inerrancy theory and see. This is also true of many other assumptions that the laity, or even ministers, make about Scripture. Biblical studies is reality testing, check-it-out time. So the conclusions can be very different and at times appear very threatening to laity. Education alienates. Occupational hazard. For example, I hold that Genesis actually consists of two contradictory creation accounts from two different time periods.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Why? I never understood the problem with this that so many people have. A lot of atheists think that because the creation story doesn't match data the whole Bible is wrong, and it seems that many Christians think that if the science got proven right, then they can't believe in God and Jesus anymore. But why?

I'm not a believer myself, but it isn't because the creation story doesn't match up to our scientific findings. If we could prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our universe popped into existence, and then over time abiogenesis occurred, that moved forward through evolution, it still wouldn't be evidence that there is no God, in my opinion. Why does God have to be so direct as he seems to be in Genesis? Why not set things in motion knowing full well what your actions will result in eventually? Unless the only evidence you have for God is that there is a lack of an explanation as to how things came to be, i.e. you only believe in God because you will only believe in a God of the Gaps, then it shouldn't be a problem for you either.

Upvote 0

CarlaB

Feb 25, 2016
United Kingdom
✟524.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think God spoke to our forefathers using the knowledge they had at the time.
In what way did a God [or whatever you are calling a God] speak to them? through dreams, drugs or what?
I don't see how you can make statements that have no meaning and still expect people to follow your reasoning?
to say "God spoke to our forefathers" is a meaningless statement and tells us nothing.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2016
Atlanta, GA
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hey everybody,
I really appreciate your all’s thoughts! I’ve put everyone’s replies that I’m responding to below.

In what way did a God [or whatever you are calling a God] speak to them? through dreams, drugs or what?
I don't see how you can make statements that have no meaning and still expect people to follow your reasoning?
to say "God spoke to our forefathers" is a meaningless statement and tells us nothing.

Seeing as your foundation is atheism, of course this doesn’t make sense to you. If I didn’t believe in blenders and you started talking about what all blenders can do, I would think you are crazy too. For people of faith, we read the Bible or are just going through normal everyday life when we have ideas, images, or thoughts pop into our minds. We choose to believe that God uses these ideas, images, or thoughts to speak to us. God isn’t “speaking” to us in the audible sense. In the same way, God “spoke” to our forefathers. I hope this helps.

P.S. – I’m glad to see that there are atheists on these forums to keep us Christians honest. Thanks for your feedback.

Practical-Christianity said: I struggled with reconciling the science of creation/evolution with Genesis for a long time.

Why? I never understood the problem with this that so many people have. A lot of atheists think that because the creation story doesn't match data the whole Bible is wrong, and it seems that many Christians think that if the science got proven right, then they can't believe in God and Jesus anymore. But why?

I'm not a believer myself, but it isn't because the creation story doesn't match up to our scientific findings. If we could prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that our universe popped into existence, and then over time abiogenesis occurred, that moved forward through evolution, it still wouldn't be evidence that there is no God, in my opinion. Why does God have to be so direct as he seems to be in Genesis? Why not set things in motion knowing full well what your actions will result in eventually? Unless the only evidence you have for God is that there is a lack of an explanation as to how things came to be, i.e. you only believe in God because you will only believe in a God of the Gaps, then it shouldn't be a problem for you either.

Here is a quote from Part 2 of my series which I believe encapsulates exactly why so many of us have a hard time with evolution and creation:

In the beginning... God created Adam and Eve. (Gen. 1:1, 1:7, 1:22)
We think...
Except, what if God never created Adam and Eve? What if we evolved from other life forms, like science seems to claim?
Does that mean Genesis is wrong?

And if Genesis is wrong, are other parts of the Bible are wrong too? Like, the parts about Jesus?
And if the Bible is wrong about Jesus, isn't my faith based on a lie?

There are a lot of Christians that do believe that God set everything up in the very beginning and hit the start button. I adhere to this belief. I don’t think it is a god-of-the-gaps approach but rather a reasonable explanation for how things came to be. I don’t think it is any less reasonable of a position than thinking that our universe popped into existence from nothing, as physicist Lawrence Krauss believes. I’ll be talking more about this in Parts 6 and 7 in my series.

Hello Stephen,
So as not to repeat ad nauseam what others have already said, I'll just say: I'm hitch'n a ride on the BioLogos train, and you're welcome to climb aboard! For me, it has always been the "practical" thing to do.

And welcome to CF!!
Peace
2PhiloVoid

Thanks 2PhiloVoid! Yea, BioLogos has been awesome. Francis Collins’ (founder of BioLogos) book, the Language of God, was what kept me from going full agnostic or atheism. My only issue there was that there aren’t enough specifics on how Genesis really is a polemic. There are certainly some great articles by Peter Enns, etc. From the science perspective, it seems like they’ve got some really great resources. Just not as much on the Genesis interpretation side.

It is interesting to me that people look to so many places to find out the 'hidden meanings' and scientific 'proof' to understand the writings of the Bible while, by doing so, they are totally ignoring the simple truth you get just by believing what is written in the first place.

If you need proof to believe then you have no faith to begin with. Faith is not blind, it is believing.
Blessings,
Alan

Alan, I wish I could just simply believe. If you read Part 1 of my series, you will see that I simply wasn’t able to believe in God and pray/worship without feeling like a fraud. For example, I believe that evolution is true. There is just too much scientific evidence for me to deny it. But I also believed that Genesis was in direct contradiction to evolution.

Therefore, how could I simply “believe what is written in the first place?” I had to throw out one or the other unless I just wanted to fake my way through it, which I could not do. So I would say it is not a matter of having enough faith in my case. Also, I am not looking for “hidden meanings” or anything like that. I want to know what the Biblical authors really meant when they wrote it; not what I interpret it to mean without context of their history, etc. That is what leads me to the polemic interpretation.

You wrote on your blog : I won’t bore you with a laundry list of my research methods but suffice it to say that I have spent somewhere in the ballpark of 80-100 hours researching this topic. But most importantly, I’ve looked at all sides of the arguments with an open mind.

I don't want to be offensive but put things in a perspective here. I am sure this is quite some time invested on your behalf but you have to realize when it come to scientific topics, 100 hours is a drop in the ocean. A typical undergraduate student will spend about 5000 hours just learning the basic stuff in his or her field. That time does not account for high school education, prep. courses, etc nor does it include the time for post graduate studies, such as master or a doctors exam. I am not saying you wrote that to impress, clearly you did not, but still - considering what I just written - to me it is not an impressive amount of time you spent looking into this, considering that and expert in the field typically spends somewhere around 100 times more time (i.e. ~5-6 years full time work v.s. 2 weeks) learning a subject - and then only focused on one or very few narrow questions in his or her field. And when we talk about gray haired and bald guys like Coyne we talk about people that spent around up to 100 thousand hours on these subjects... Therefore, based on how much there is to know and learn, I would say it is virtually impossible to have looked (and understood) "all sides of the argument" in just 100 hours, no matter how open minded one are.

Yea, definitely agreed that 100 hours doesn't even compare to a true expert in the field. I think the piece you are missing is that my 100 hours’ worth of studying was not based on a “first principals” method where I learn science and Biblical studies from the ground up. Rather, my 100 hours was spent understanding the conclusions that people like Coyne have reached after their thousands of hours’ worth of research. I don't hold myself out to be an expert but that doesn't mean I can't talk about it and reach compelling conclusions.

My point about seeing “all sides of the argument” is simply a way of communicating that I kept an open mind about the various arguments I ran across and that I do believe I was able to see most of the spectrum of belief on the subject. My point there wasn’t to say that I see and fully understand every argument and all of their facets.

What I ran into a lot in studying the interpretation of Genesis was people that weren’t willing to even entertain the idea that Genesis could be interpreted differently than what they believed.

I didn't read the whole article yet, but wanted to say amen to the polemic idea. In fact, my husband and I have been saying this for years and the book, "The Genesis Record" really opened my eyes to what Genesis really does say, vs. what we are taught it says.

I was on these boards once talking about how Genesis isn't a scientific treatise but a polemic and the main opposition was an evolutionist theist. We ended up starting a whole nother thread to discuss it and that poster couldn't get past what beginning is referring to in order to deal with the whole idea of a polemic, which is very sad indeed. Bravo, now to read the article.

Thanks Razzelflabben! I will have to check out that book as I didn’t run across it in my studies. I’m going to post an excerpt from Part 4 of my series which – in my mind – puts to rest whether Genesis in a polemic or not. Hope it helps!

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2016
Atlanta, GA
✟15,169.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Everybody,
Here is an excerpt from Part 4 of my series which, I think, makes it very clear that the creation account in Genesis was meant as a polemic (the bracketed text is footnotes in the blog):

3 Ancient Creation Accounts
1. The Babylonians had several creation accounts, the main account is called Enuma Elish ("When on High") and dates back to around 2000 B.C.[[Babylonia was a state within ancient Mesopotamia which began around 3,500 B.C.]]

enuma-elish.jpg

2. The Egyptians had 3 main creation accounts (Heliopolis, Hermopolis, and Memphis) which all date back to between 1,500-2,600 B.C.[[See also here under "Creation Myths"]][[Egypt civilization began around 3,000 B.C.]].

T2-H-4239-Ancient-Egyptian-Creation-Story-Word-Mat.jpg

3. The Jews' account of creation - Genesis - is believed to have been written just after being released from Babylonia, around 500-600 B.C.[[Jewish civilization began around 1,600 B.C. Other sources confirm this timeframe here.]]

Similarities with Genesis
First, I want to highlight some of the similarities between the 3 creation accounts. Remember, if the Jews used these other accounts as its base for writing Genesis, we would expect to see a lot of similarities.

And that's exactly what we find (to a very detailed degree):
  • Primevil waters existed before creation
  • The breath of God moves over waters
    • Genesis (Gen. 1:2)
    • Egyptian (Hermopolis; Memhpis) (breath is the god Amun)[[See page 6]]
  • Creation of light occurred before creation of the sun
    • Genesis (Gen. 1:3)
    • Egyptian (Hermopolis): First creative act was emergence of light. After many years, the sun-god (Atum) ermerged[[See pages 9-10]]
    • Babylonian [[See page 14]]
  • Water surrounds the expanse (the sky) in which we live
  • The formation of dry ground
    • Genesis (Gen. 1:9)
    • Egyptian (Hermopolis; Memphis) (ground is the god Geb)[[See pages 7 and 8]]
  • God creates through divine both word and action
    • Genesis: By word (Gen. 1:26-1:27); By action (Gen 2:7, Gen. 2:21).
    • Egyptian (Memphis): By word (god Ptah); By action (god Atum)[[See text at footnote 50]]
  • God is portrayed as potter when creating man
    • Genesis: God forms man from dirt (Gen 2:7)
    • Egyptian (Memphis): God (Khnum) creates man on potter's wheel [[See text at footnote 54]]
  • God "breaths life" into man
    • Genesis: God breathed into Adam the "breath of life" (Gen 2:7)
    • Egyptian: Life giving force referred to as "breath of life" [[See text at footnote 57]]
  • God rests after creation

I'll leave it here for now. Sign up at practical-christianity.com to receive notifications for my next posts! (sorry, I know this is majorly a plug). I'll be coming out with them once a week; next one comes out tomorrow.
-Stephen

Last edited:
Upvote 0