Midwest
✟80,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Michael Marin couldn't pay his mortgage, so he burned down his house," Deputy Maricopa County Attorney Chris Rapp said in his opening statements.

The 53-year-old had a taste for living large and was known for his eclectic interests. He was a self-published author. He owned and piloted a Cessna 310, had scaled Mt. Everest, served as a Mormon missionary and later as an executive in Japan, and was a diehard fanatic of the Burning Man festival.

But on Thursday, it became clear Michael Marin's once-robust social life would be replaced with the prospect of spending up to 16 years in prison.

"We the jury, duly impaneled and sworn in the above entitled action upon our oath, do find the defendant Michael James Marin guilty of arson of an occupied structure," said a foreman.

Moments later, Marin discreetly popped something into his mouth and died.
Convicted Arizona Businessman Appears To Commit Suicide In Courtroom - Yahoo! News

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,674.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I think if a person of any religious leanings felt disraught enough, they may attempt to take their own life.

I was saying that this man apparently was not a Mormon in good standing; he wasn't obedient. I can't speak for his standing prior to the arson and suicide.

A faithful Mormon (or faithful Christian, for that matter), would not commit arson and suicide. Both are stupid and sinful and indicate a lack of faith that God will work all things together for good.

Isaiah 26
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

John 14
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14
21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Romans 8
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Upvote 0

Gareth

Jan 3, 2008
South Woodham Ferrers, Essex.
✟9,834.00
Faith
Jehovahs Witness
Marital Status
Single
A tragedy for sure. It might of been that he came to be liked for what he had, these `things` that made him to be seen by others as having it all, when possibly the spiritual side of his life, his relationship with his heavenly Father, was lacking somewhat. Having an abundance of material things could be a worldly trait if these things are not tempered by spiritual values. If he had family, hopefully these will be comforted and consoled by the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Mordecai Anielewicz

Oct 26, 2011
Tulsa OK
✟7,693.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
A faithful Mormon would not participate in Burning Man either as the festival is extremely hedonistic in addition to its paganism.

I used to live near Gerlach NV and saw the participants arrive and leave every year. They were a very disturbing bunch of people to say the least.

Upvote 0