A Conversation with Eugene Peterson: translator of "The Message" Bible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We must consider that “The Message” isn’t a translation of Biblical scripture, because a true translation is taking the original Greek and Hebrew texts, being very careful to preserve their true meaning as much as possible, word by word and phrase by phrase, while translating them into another language so that the exact meaning is kept intact, nothing is removed or added, and there is no discrepancy about what God is actually saying in the text. Anything outside of this will change the true meaning of the Bible, and is re-wording God’s Inspired Word.

Eugene Peterson’s interpretations in his paraphrase does not translate the Greek and Hebrew text, and thus has changed not just God’s actual meaning of key phrases and verses, but has removed key phrases from his paraphrase that directly change the actual words, phrases, and true message of God. This then makes “The Message” one man’s personal interpretation that is saying that he can do a better job than God’s Inspired Writers and that he can paraphrase God’s direct Word.

When we compare Matthew 6:9-13, the Lord’s Prayer with Eugene Peterson's version:

NIV:

"Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.

The Message:

"Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best -
As above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you
and forgiving others.
Keep us safe
from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge!

Now, most people will not see what I am about to point out, until they see it explained for themselves.

The phrase “As above, so below” is the key phrase here that is not a direct translation of Scripture, and it does not even come close.

This is a “new-age” term and phrase that is used widely throughout the “new-age” and “occultic” realm, and does not represent Christianity. Do a Google search on the phrase you will see how many Wiccan, pagan, satanic, and new-age sites comes up that use this phrase and its meaning. This term is a new-age view that God is not only outside of creation, but also within creation, which means that God is “in” everyone and everything, and denotes the new-age concept of “One-ness”, and “we are one”.

It is a pantheistic term, and pantheism has no place in Christianity or the Bible. And when “new-agers” speak of heaven, it is not the heaven that Christians know of and believe in. The term “as above, so below” is the new-age idea and terminology of their view of heaven, and it’s not Biblical. It is a metaphysical new-age connotation that substitutes “heaven and earth” with “above and below” as being the same and one in unity, and therefore it represents a pantheistic view. It says all of the universe (the heavens and heaven), the cosmos, and the earth---everything existent in creation---is part of God, is one with God, and one with everything, in a form of new-age unity that opposes scripture and the true nature of God, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Eugene Peterson should not be using this terminology to paraphrase the Bible when Christianity and God’s terms and meanings are as opposite to the pagan new-age movement and their beliefs as night-time is to day-time, and as good is to bad. “Woe is the day when evil is called good and good is called evil” (Isa. 5:20)

This term “as above, so below” existed before Mr. Peterson chose, for whatever reason, to use it when putting the Bible into his own words. Therefore, Eugene Peterson’s usage of this word didn’t come from the original Greek and Hebrew text of the Bible, and therefore his words cannot qualify or be considered as a translation of scripture. If he had gotten his words from the original texts then he would not have used this phrase, because the original texts do not refer to heaven in this manner, and he also would not have removed key parts of actual scripture from his paraphrase.

Eugene Peterson also presents a similar use of this new-age phrase in place of “in heaven” and “in earth” in Colossians 1:16: “For everything, absolutely everything, above and below...”, why is this so?

Why did he remove key phrases and meanings from a lot of the scripture he has paraphrased?

KJV:
Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
Your kingdom come.

"The Message":
Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;

”Hallowed be Your name” has been totally removed, and not even rephrased and added back in with the rest of his words. “Your kingdom come” has also been removed. This essentially takes the actual words and meaning, which our Lord Jesus Christ spoke, and changes what He actually said. It removes the expressed, exact meaning, and therefore it removes the value of the written text.

“Reveal who you are” and “Hallowed be Your name” have no similarity or having the same distinct meaning to each other.

“Your kingdom come” and “Set the world right” don’t even come close to the same distinct meaning that our Lord Jesus Christ was speaking directly of our Heavely Father’s Kingdom. Eugene Peterson is talking about the “world” and NOT HIS KINGDOM.

Eugene’s re-phrasing of the Lord’s Prayer has changed the spoken words and teaching of our Lord Jesus Christ into flimsy “worldly requests” that He did not say. Our Lord Jesus Christ was not making requests; HE was teaching us, sinful people, how to we are to approach a pure and Holy God in prayer. Eugene has changed the true meaning and character of the Scripture here. This is not a translation of true text, and NO man has any right to do this. The Bible is clear about that, yet he did that.

Real translations do not remove “key meanings” and they do not change complete words, phrases, or the meaning of phrases. Otherwise, we end up with something the Lord never said, and it is being passed off as the Bible in churches all over this world. Eugene’s paraphrase robs the meaning God intended, and this is dangerous.

There are many warnings in the Bible about removing from or adding to God’s words and His distinct meanings. For example, Deuteronomy 4:2 "You shall not add to the word which I command you to observe, nor take anything from it..." Deuteronomy 12:32 "Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it." Proverbs 30:5-6 "Every word of God is pure...Do not add to His words, lest He reprove you, and you be found a liar." Mr. Peterson has both added meanings that are not being represented by actual scripture and he has removed key phrases and meaning from the actual scripture, thus greatly changing the meaning in many parts.

It is very simple to end up with a very different meaning that what was originally being said by removing one or two word phrases from the Greek or Hebrew text. There are thousands of verses that he has done the same thing to, and sad as it is those who are less discerning, whether because they are new to Christianity or just searching for greater meaning in life, serious confusion and “double-mindedness” will mislead many of HIS Flock.

The new-age movement is creeping into the Church and many Christians can’t see it. This illustrates how very clever our Adversary, the Devil, is at pulling the wool over our eyes when we are least expecting it. Our Lord Jesus Christ said: "You shall know the truth, and the truth shall set you free” (John 8:32).

Most of all, we could ask Eugene, who is a Christian, why did he choose to use the new-age phrase “as above, so below” over Biblical phrase, and from what source did he get it from?

Be blessed in Jesus' Name.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Elijah2 I missed the post you made above...and having read that I don't think there is anything else for us to discuss.

JIR: I have nothing to say to you.

Think whatever you like...I am done with this conversation

Twigy, my dear brother, you mean to tell me that I have spent a long time in love putting things together for you to read and trying to get you to understand the difference between God's Inspired Word and some other person beliefs and interpretation that is no more than false teaching, and you say earlier that you are prepared to discuss it with me, now you drop me me like a hot brick.

NOT cricket mate!

Upvote 0

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

TO Elijah2 and JIR

I am sure you mean well inside your own minds,
Mate, you don't know what my HEART thinks, because that is the most important part of the BODY that you renew, and renewing your MIND is conforming to HIS KINGDOM, and transforming to HIS WORD.

but your posts are not explanatory and meek...they are fear mongering...
Mate, fear of our Lord Jesus Christ is what you meant to say, my post is getting things straight and in touch with SPIRITUAL reality and commonsense in HIS WORD, not Eugene Peterson's word.

trying to get people to abandon their own reasoning and follow your beliefs and conclusions based on fear and cynicism instead.
Now mate, to accuse me of fear and cynicism, tells me that you are REJECTING any knowledge and understanding of HIS INSPIRED WORD.

The people I have conversed with who have really known what they were talking about in any field, not just Scripture are far more gracious than you or JIR have been to me in this thread.
Mate, we all have our job to do for our Lord Jesus Christ, and we do it the best way that we can. TRUTH is what it's all about, NOT comfort zone!

Pride and being thinned skinned is one thing that I had to learn, and I try my best to be patient, and self-controlled, which are two of the Fruit of the Spirit. Also, I am a faithful, gentle, good, and kind person.

So, how come you accuse me of being ungracious?

I speak TRUTH my dear brother, and if you can't accept truth of HIS INSPIRED WORD, but will accept Eugene Peterson's version of what he thinks His Word says, then the word ungracious or gracious is not appropriate for you to judge or condemn me of.

You and JIR have been down right ugly to me.
Mate, how can you state the TRUTH as being UGLY. As we always say that TRUTH HURTS.

I am only being straight to you, calling a spade, a spade. Honestly, I have no idea how you could accuse me of being ugly toward you, when I have been honest and straightforward, and in love.

I enjoy sharing and conversing and hearing different beliefs and ideas on Scripture,
Yes, I enjoy sharing and conversing on different INTERPRETATIONS, beliefes and idea comes from the doctrine of demons and worldly philosophy full of empty deceit (Read Col. 2:8)!

but I do not appreciate you two trying to herd me like a cow
Mate, who is herding you, it is obvious that our Lord Jesus Christ through conviction has put you into a corner, more so than a physical action. Maybe our Lord Jesus Christ has put us here just for you?

and I hope others who read this thread will not abandon their thinking and reasoning for themselves to follow this ugliness.
Mate, if all you can see is ugliness in TRUTH, then you need to take a good look at yourself and your foundation in HIS INSPIRED WORD.

And please don't compare me with JIR; JIR is doing their own thing. I have spoken to you directly, and not through JIR. I know JIR, and I respect their views, but it doesn't mean I agree with them. And in no time have I expressed to you or anyone else on the forum that I am working in tandem with JIR, and ganging up on you, as you have accused me of.

So where do you get the idea that I am ganging up on you, because my dear brother, all I am doing is speaking to you in truth.

I am very disappointed in you that you could accuse me of such things.

Not comfort zone - that's a fact. Well done post, mate.

Upvote 0

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Twigy, my dear brother, you mean to tell me that I have spent a long time in love putting things together for you to read and trying to get you to understand the difference between God's Inspired Word and some other person beliefs and interpretation that is no more than false teaching, and you say earlier that you are prepared to discuss it with me, now you drop me me like a hot brick.

NOT cricket mate!

Twiggy, you can forget me, but can you hear also what mate just said to you, he gave you his heart and body and yea his even soul to help you out. But for what, for you to, what he said, drop him like a hot brick? Or in america, they say 'hot potato'.

Not cricket - *snicker* Now that's funny mate.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I see a lot of fearmongering here.

Yup
shakemitkopf.gif

Dictionary:
Fear mongering
(or scaremongering) is the use of fear to leverage the opinions and actions of others towards some end. The object of fear is sometimes exaggerated, and the use of fear mongering is often directed in a manner using repetition, in order to continuously reinforce the intended effects of using this tactic in a self-reinforcing manner, like a vicious circle.

Some people have just never been taught better. Much of the time, any turn-around that may come of this technique is short lived and generally leaves those who bought into it bitter and not wanting anything to do with religion under any circumstances.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That "above/below" concept is nonsense.

The concept of heaven or God in heaven as ABOVE is Biblical:

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=heaven above&version1=50&searchtype=all

Heaven above and earth below:

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword...chtype=all&version1=50&spanbegin=1&spanend=73

Thanks my dear sister, so you are saying that the statements I have made above are lies, and that the term used by Eugene ISN'T New Age, Occultic, or Satanism, is that correct? And that his term is Biblical, is that correct?

Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
That "above/below" concept is nonsense.

The concept of heaven or God in heaven as ABOVE is Biblical:

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword/?search=heaven above&version1=50&searchtype=all

Heaven above and earth below:

http://www.biblegateway.com/keyword...chtype=all&version1=50&spanbegin=1&spanend=73

So, I am now a fear-mongerer, and not a Child of God, who is a concerned Christian who speaks out against false teachers, like I did against Todd Bentley, and got accused of all the nasties in the world, until he fell.

Now, I am speaking out against a false teaching of His Inspired Word, by The Message, that hasn't one true word of His INSPIRED Word written within the text of Eugene Peterson's personal New Age interpreation of His Word, and I am called a fear-mongerer.

My dear sister, read His Inspired Word and compare the verses that I have posted on this thread, and I can assure you that as a Berean I will stand before our Lord Jesus Christ knowing that I feared HIM.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Thanks my dear sister, so you are saying that the statements I have made above are lies, and that the term used by Eugene ISN'T New Age, Occultic, or Satanism, is that correct? And that his term is Biblical, is that correct?

It is a phrase that Eugene used. Period. To be on the hunt for evil is always a nasty pastime. It's a Eugenism, not any New Age, Occultic or Satanic use.

If you are bent on finding the boogeyman, I think you'd have more luck checking under your bed. Really, Elijah, there are bigger issues and more crazy matters worthy of warnings out there, dontcha think?

Upvote 0

gratefulgrace

Contributor
Jul 26, 2006
British Columbia
✟32,492.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think it is always good to use several versions of the scriptures to get a full sense of the meaning of the Word. It is also a great help to try to understand the historical significance and cultural context of the statements made. I definitely think the Message has its place in our studies. Many people came down hard on the Living Bible as well when it came out years ago. If it helps people access and understand the gospel message, repent, get saved and filled with God's Holy Spirit I believe it is useful. GG

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
I see no fear mongering. I see genuine concern with staying true to Scripture and care for people who have fallen into a trap.

It certaintly does have the makings of it. It appears to be attempts at strong arming people into submitting to their way of thinking and generally, that technique does not bring in a lasting believer. If they have to be strong armed then they are not truely convinced of anything.

Upvote 0

Floatingaxe

Apr 14, 2007
Ontario, Canada
✟22,726.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
So, I am now a fear-mongerer, and not a Child of God, who is a concerned Christian who speaks out against false teachers, like I did against Todd Bentley, and got accused of all the nasties in the world, until he fell.

Now, I am speaking out against a false teaching of His Inspired Word, by The Message, that hasn't one true word of His INSPIRED Word written within the text of Eugene Peterson's personal New Age interpreation of His Word, and I am called a fear-mongerer.

My dear sister, read His Inspired Word and compare the verses that I have posted on this thread, and I can assure you that as a Berean I will stand before our Lord Jesus Christ knowing that I feared HIM.

So, do you feel triumphal because a brother succumbed to a common weakness?

People on the front lines are Satan's first, and most important target. I hope you were praying FOR him.

I have read the verses. Guess what? I paraphrase Scripture pretty much the same way much of the time. It's what Bible teachers do. God certainly opens hearts by paraphrasing. It is inspired truth from the Word.

That's what the Holy Spirit does! He takes the Word, opens our spiritual eyes, and then we in turn pass it on with the same Holy Spirit power to cause others' eyes to open! Praise God! AWESOME.

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
So, do you feel triumphal because a brother succumbed to a common weakness?

People on the front lines are Satan's first, and most important target. I hope you were praying FOR him.

I have read the verses. Guess what? I paraphrase Scripture pretty much the same way much of the time. It's what Bible teachers do. God certainly opens hearts by paraphrasing. It may not be inspired, but it is inspired truth from the Word.

:) Even Peter, Paul and others as well as Jesus, paraphrased scripture.

Upvote 0

Jesus Is Real

Feb 27, 2003
Texas
✟5,289.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see no fear mongering. I see genuine concern with staying true to Scripture and care for people who have fallen into a trap.

you see clearly dear one. Trap - good word.

Jer 5:26

26 For among my people are found wicked men: they lay wait, as he that setteth snares; they set a trap, they catch men.
KJV

Thank you for your humble validation unto many here and lastly unto E2 and I. Indeed, The Truth has set you free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Elijah2

Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
It is a phrase that Eugene used. Period. To be on the hunt for evil is always a nasty pastime. It's a Eugenism, not any New Age, Occultic or Satanic use.

If you are bent on finding the boogeyman, I think you'd have more luck checking under your bed. Really, Elijah, there are bigger issues and more crazy matters worthy of warnings out there, dontcha think?

My dear sister, who is talking about boogiemen. I'm not.

I'm talking about FALSE TEACHING, the same that I talked about when Todd Bentley was around FALSE TEACHING.

This is a BIG ISSUE, because our Bible has been twisted, distorted, added to, subtracted from, and misrepresent HIS LIVING WORD, and you say to me that my WARNINGS are not WORTHY.

Heavens above my dear sister, how honest can I be.

If that's the way you think, and because you love The Message, then I am sorry that you have admitted that to me.

I don't hun't evil, I warn our brothers and sisters of EVIL.

Woe is the day when evil is called good, and good is called evil.

Meditate on the verse my dear sister, because The Message is EVIL, and not of our Living God, our Lord Jesus Christ.

Be blessed in Jesuss' Name.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.