Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
God made the world, in its present state, and life, in its present state, and the rest was history.

So, are scientists deliberate liars and tools of Satan, or is it just happenstance that they say the universe is 13.7X billion years old and the earth is 4.6 billion?

What is the christian view of these scientists? Evil? Misguided? Stupid? lol What?

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
God made the world, in its present state, and life, in its present state, and the rest was history.

So, are scientists deliberate liars and tools of Satan, or is it just happenstance that they say the universe is 13.7X billion years old and the earth is 4.6 billion?

What is the christian view of these scientists? Evil? Misguided? Stupid? lol What?

Informed.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Don't be so harsh on scientist. Many of them simply reported what they saw. Of course, many of them also stretched the data and made a bad implication.

Upvote 0

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Don't be so harsh on scientist. Many of them simply reported what they saw. Of course, many of them also stretched the data and made a bad implication.

I'm not hard on them. My first post was about the standard christian view. I do not hold such a view any longer.

So you think scientists are lying about the data, while clergy have the correct answer as to the origins of the universe? How do you know this?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So people with 10+ years of post secondary education are lacking in wisdom?

I have to ask, what is your definition of "wisdom"?

Hi alvis,

Perhaps you aren't yourself familiar with the difference between wisdom and knowledge. The very beginning of wisdom; the very first step that begins a person's journey to wisdom is a reverent fear of God. Knowledge is just having a lot of schooling in a particular subject matter.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi alvis,

Perhaps you aren't yourself familiar with the difference between wisdom and knowledge. The very beginning of wisdom; the very first step that begins a person's journey to wisdom is a reverent fear of God. Knowledge is just having a lot of schooling in a particular subject matter.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

There's also intelligence, but that's rarely considered a virtue in christianity. Scientists don't get to where they are by being stupid, contrary to popular belief.

Are Muslims wise? They also fear God. Greatly I would say.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Hi alvis,

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

One can be knowledgeable without wisdom, but I don't know if one can be wise without knowledge.

I would agree that establishing the age of the earth is a matter of knowledge, but the one who is wise would not dispute this knowledge, but rather deal with it wisely i.e. with reverence toward God and in awe of his creation.

Upvote 0

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
One can be knowledgeable without wisdom, but I don't know if one can be wise without knowledge.

I would agree that establishing the age of the earth is a matter of knowledge, but the one who is wise would not dispute this knowledge, but rather deal with it wisely i.e. with reverence toward God and in awe of his creation.

I'm just curious how the highly educated and intelligent are completely wrong, while the uneducated pastor in backwoods Alabama (for example) who never graduated high school, has got everything right? Makes sense to me, and I can't imagine why everyone isn't a christian based off of that, but I still have to ask.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

frogman2x

Since there is no way to accurately detemine the age of the earth, it is not based on knowlege, but on speculation.

We should stand in reverence to God and in awe of His creation no matter how old or young it is.

kermit

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Since there is no way to accurately detemine the age of the earth, it is not based on knowlege, but on speculation.

The age of the earth has been established to within 1% accuracy. If you want to quibble over that 1% uncertainty, fine, but it is not going to get you anywhere near 6,000 years in place of 4,700,000,000 years.

We should stand in reverence to God and in awe of His creation no matter how old or young it is.

kermit

True, but it is more reverent to acknowledge in truth than in denial.

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's also intelligence, but that's rarely considered a virtue in christianity. Scientists don't get to where they are by being stupid, contrary to popular belief.

Are Muslims wise? They also fear God. Greatly I would say.

Hi alvis,

I'm not calling anyone stupid. But there is a great difference, according to the Scriptures, between knowledge and wisdom. The Scriptures tell us that knowledge will increase in the last days, yet those same Scriptures tell us that man's condition before God will be much, much worse in the last days. Therefore, knowledge and wisdom cannot be the same thing. Of course scientists are not stupid and yes they spend a great deal of time gaining knowledge. However, the knowledge that they have is based on the natural and the wisdom of God is not so based. Paul warns us of being deceived by such arguments as those based on the natural and the philosophies of men.

Muslims are unwise because they do not fear God, but Allah. Allah is not the God of the Scriptures. If he were then he would also instruct them that Jesus is the Savior of the world. Any faith that does not teach that Jesus is the Son of God and the Savior of the world is antichrist and does not come from the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

However, your confusion is understandable as both muslims and many who call themselves Christians will try to convince you that they are the same God.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi gluadys,

I would agree that that seems to be what you believe.

God bless you.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

bushinoki

Servant of the Most High
Jul 19, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
✟15,647.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm just curious how the highly educated and intelligent are completely wrong, while the uneducated pastor in backwoods Alabama (for example) who never graduated high school, has got everything right? Makes sense to me, and I can't imagine why everyone isn't a christian based off of that, but I still have to ask.

Alvis, I have this against you, that you would speak with scorn against those who serve God by preaching his word. The majority of preachers in the United States have a college degree of some kind. Many of those who do not have some sort of ministerial credential gained through a discipleship and study program. Many mainline denominations require seminary before someone can serve as a pastor. Almost all denominations in the US have their own Bible Colleges, where someone can pursue theological studies. There are numerous denominational leaders and pastors who have doctorates of some form. Only a very small sliver of preachers out there actually have no training or education.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not hard on them. My first post was about the standard christian view. I do not hold such a view any longer.

So you think scientists are lying about the data, while clergy have the correct answer as to the origins of the universe? How do you know this?

Most scientists do not lie. They described the data and jumped the gun in their interpretation. In the field of science, it is taken as a normal and acceptable behavior.

Example: I see the sun moves, so I say the sun must be moving. This is not a lie.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

Com'n, that is the definition of wisdom: wise without knowledge.

My wife is full of wisdom even she knows very little.

Upvote 0

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Most scientists do not lie. They described the data and jumped the gun in their interpretation. In the field of science, it is taken as a normal and acceptable behavior.

Example: I see the sun moves, so I say the sun must be moving. This is not a lie.

So why is the earth said to be billions of years old then?

According to you guys, God is a deceiver, making it look old, but it's really not. Is God a liar now?

Upvote 0

Alvis

Harry Potter
Aug 30, 2013
Here
✟1,906.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Alvis, I have this against you, that you would speak in ignorance against those who serve God by preaching his word. The majority of preachers in the United States have a college degree of some kind. Many of those who do not have some sort of ministerial credential gained through a discipleship and study program. Many mainline denominations require seminary before someone can serve as a pastor. Almost all denominations in the US have their own Bible Colleges, where someone can pursue theological studies. There are numerous denominational leaders and pastors who have doctorates of some form. Only a very small sliver of preachers out there actually have no training or education.

Anyone can be ordained, I've seen it.

An unaccredited degree in theology, which is not a science, is not the same as having a Ph.D in biology or anthropology. I hope you would know that.

It's fine if they're trained to be pastors, whatever. What I do mind is, people with no scientific background spewing false information and calling it truth. That's a problem because it's dishonest or just plain ignorant.

Theology is not a science nor does it make one qualified to give lectures on evolution or the origins of life. If you don't understand that, I don't know what else to say. How else can I put it?

Upvote 0

Papias

Listening to TW4
Dec 22, 2005
✟57,276.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Alvis wrote:

So why is the earth said to be billions of years old then?

According to you guys, God is a deceiver, making it look old, but it's really not. Is God a liar now?

Whoa there. "according to you guys"? Remember that an old earth was established by geologists in the 1830's who were Christians, and even today, millions of modern geologists are Christians. Please be clear that by "you guys" you mean "old earth deniers", not all Christians.

Thanks-

Papias

Upvote 0