Farmington
✟23,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Sen. Bernie Sanders and Senate Democrats cited advances in artificial intelligence and automation Thursday in their argument for a bill that would mandate a 32-hour federal workweek.

“Despite massive growth in technology and worker productivity, millions of workers in our country are working longer hours for low wages,” Sanders said after gaveling open a hearing of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

“The sad reality is Americans now work more hours than the people of any other wealthy nation,” the committee chair and Vermont independent said later."

Exodus 20:9-11
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sen. Bernie Sanders and Senate Democrats cited advances in artificial intelligence and automation Thursday in their argument for a bill that would mandate a 32-hour federal workweek.

“Despite massive growth in technology and worker productivity, millions of workers in our country are working longer hours for low wages,” Sanders said after gaveling open a hearing of the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

“The sad reality is Americans now work more hours than the people of any other wealthy nation,” the committee chair and Vermont independent said later."

Exodus 20:9-11
Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
I would love to have the seventh day Sabbath kept holy as per the commandment, but my guess they will apply it to the first day despite the very specific commandment of God- the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God. Exo 20:10

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I would love to have the seventh day Sabbath kept holy as per the commandment, but my guess they will apply it to the first day despite the very specific commandment of God- the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord thy God. Exo 20:10
I knew this was part of the campaign of persecution of US Christians.

Reactions: GoldenBoy89
Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There are certain jobs that have to work every day Not that everyone works all seven days a week, but the job must be done seven days a weeks such as hospitals, law enforcement ECT everyone can not take off on a particular day of the week whether Saturday or Sunday is the day in question.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think a 32 hour work week would be great. People need more free time to take care of themselves and their families.
Or they can still work 40 hours and get the OT.

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
There are certain jobs that have to work every day Not that everyone works all seven days a week, but the job must be done seven days a weeks such as hospitals, law enforcement ECT everyone can not take off on a particular day of the week whether Saturday or Sunday is the day in question.
What does that have to do with how many hours each individual worker has to put in?

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,882.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes, Jesus addresses things like this in scripture as exceptions, like healing people in need etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,879.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
What does that have to do with how many hours each individual worker has to put in?
I think that was just a rebuttal to the idea of the Sabbath (i.e. Sunday, for Christians) being kept "holy" for everyone. Simply an impossibility.

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed

I know. I personally agree the 7th day Sabbath should be kept, and thankfully I go to a fellowship on the Sabbath that is general Christian, but they meet on Saturdays, we have devotions, prayer, and a meal.
I know, any "law" they make would probably make Sunday sacred as they've done going back to 325.
As for the 32 hour work week. Nice if you have chores to do at home or a lot of land that needs maintained, but not so nice for the party animals who will be more emboldened to sin the extra day!

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess it all depends on the job...

I know some people (who work on an hourly basis) will jump at the chance to work extra hours because that's when time and half pay kicks in.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,207,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Who only works 40 hours in the U.S.?

I was actually thinking the opposite, who actually is "working" for the full 40? lol

Based on observations I've seen with my staff (granted it's IT stuff), while the company "expectation" is that everyone works a 40 hour week. I know there's quite a bit of youtubing happening lol, but I don't care, as long as they're meeting their deadlines and delivering their deliverables, they can kick back a bit and and just occasionally check email to make sure nothing's on fire. I know that it's not a case where everyone is "head down, 100% focused on work tasks" for the full 40 hours every week.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟23,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
I was actually thinking the opposite, who actually is "working" for the full 40? lol

Based on observations I've seen with my staff (granted it's IT stuff), while the company "expectation" is that everyone works a 40 hour week. I know there's quite a bit of youtubing happening lol, but I don't care, as long as they're meeting their deadlines and delivering their deliverables, they can kick back a bit and and just occasionally check email to make sure nothing's on fire. I know that it's not a case where everyone is "head down, 100% focused on work tasks" for the full 40 hours every week.

When I worked, I often worked jobs that required 40+ hours a week, even up to 60 - 70. Work in a Fish cannery in the Pacific Northwest, and you'll have those hours. That was 20+ years ago though, but I don't think much has changed.
Nope, hasn't changed: OBI Seafoods:
"Cleaning fish and performing other processing jobs may require you to stand in one place performing repetitive tasks for up to 16 hours a day, seven days a week"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
When I worked, I often worked jobs that required 40+ hours a week, even up to 60 - 70. Work in a Fish cannery in the Pacific Northwest, and you'll have those hours. That was 20+ years ago though, but I don't think much has changed.
Nope, hasn't changed: OBI Seafoods:
"Cleaning fish and performing other processing jobs may require you to stand in one place performing repetitive tasks for up to 16 hours a day, seven days a week"
You'll just get more OT.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
nothing except that the quoted user was asserting that they wished people could get the Sabbath off to keep it holy ( Saturday) and I was pointing out that no matter how many hours a week people work there are certain types of jobs that SOMEONE has to work 24/7 and so everyone could not have off.

Upvote 0

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟897,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For people on a salary nothing would change really the people this has a greater affect on one way or the other would be hourly workers in that it would either result in having the chance to have more and earlier overtime OR the law could bar overtime.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,833.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't see the reason to quote gods labours of genesis 1 in opposition of a 32 hours work week. That diety spoke 1-2 sentences and called it a day.

I currently work 6 days a week, more or less, and get to 30 hours or a little over that, usually.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟172,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
For people on a salary nothing would change really the people this has a greater affect on one way or the other would be hourly workers in that it would either result in having the chance to have more and earlier overtime OR the law could bar overtime.
I doubt it would. The forty hour law didn't, nor other laws reducing work hours before that.

Upvote 0