Midwest
✟161,101.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm a bit confused as to what the timeframe for this is supposed to be. It says "2023" at the top but the article is also stated to have been posted in 2022. I thought initially perhaps it was posted in 2023 and was updated, but when I pull up an archived version of it (which says 2022 at the top instead of 2023), the percentages are identical. So it looks like these are supposed to be the numbers for 2022. However, no source is cited for them, it simply says "In the US, when Bible readers were surveyed as to which version or translation of the Bible they purchased and read" but without information as to when or how this survey took place.

The reason I mention all of this is because the above numbers clash with numbers I've seen elsewhere. For example, this gives stats for the highest selling Bibles at the end of 2022 (note: The number in parentheses is the ranking number it was in June of 2021):

1. New International Version (NIV) (1)
2. English Standard Version (ESV) (4)
3. New Living Translation (NLT) (3)
4. Christian Standard Bible (CSB) (6)
5. King James Version (KJV) (2)
6. New King James Version (NKJV) (5)
7. Reina Valera (RV) (7)
8. New International Reader’s Version (NIrV) (9)
9. New Revised Standard Version (NRSV) (not ranked)
10. New American Standard Bible (NASB) (not ranked)

This is considerably different than what your source claims. Your source puts the KJV at the top, and with twice as many as the second place NIV. But the link I looked at put the NIV in first! While obviously trends can vary based on time, your source puts the KJV so far ahead that the above rankings don't make much sense. Maybe the difference is that the above rankings come from the Evangelical Christian Publishers’ Association and thus maybe it's different for other publishers, or maybe the divergence comes from the ECPA selling Bibles that get sent to other countries, whereas the link you offered is very specifically only about what people in the US are buying (and for that matter buying individually, maybe individual purchasers are more likely to gravitate to the KJV but the groups that buy Bibles en masse--churches or missionary groups--prefer the NIV and other versions).

So I'm kind of curious about why these seem to go against each other so much.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Is anyone surprised that the KJV is still top five? That's why I posted it.

I think this is important, "Percentage of Bible readers purchased..." Those who actually read their Bibles buy the KJV.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"Among self-described Bible readers, 55 percent say they prefer the KJV, well ahead of the second-most-read-version—the New International Version at 19 percent." Majority of American Bible Readers Still Prefer King James Version - Lifeway Research.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,460.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
You just reminded me to order one for my Dad for Christmas. He's had some vision problems over the last year or so and needs the extra over-sized print that just isn't on the shelf at Barnes & Noble most of the time. He wants KJV or I could have just given him something out of my stockpile.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟748,024.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
You just reminded me to order one for my Dad for Christmas. He's had some vision problems over the last year or so and needs the extra over-sized print that just isn't on the shelf at Barnes & Noble most of the time. He wants KJV or I could have just given him something out of my stockpile.
The biggest Bible I have is the large print KJV Westminster from TBS.
1702059044504.png

My favorite due to font style (comfort print) Premier Edition by Thomas Nelson. The font is just so easy on the eyes.

1702058966556.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0