2 Cor 3:6-11 Affirms the Law of God, and the New Covenant where it is written on the heart

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Paul, et. al. (that includes of the individuals you cited, including Jesus) did, indeed, cite the two greatest commandments.

Jesus quotes from the Law of Moses for the "two commandments" in Matt 22
Jesus quotes even more from the Law of Moses in Matt 19 when He says "Keep the Commandments"

But He never quotes "Do not take God's name in vain".. nor does any other NT writer.
And that does NOT MEAN we can take God's name in vain without it being a sin --- as everyone knows.

Upvote 0

Cornelius8L

Sep 12, 2022
Singapore
✟44,260.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is imperative to seek closeness to God every day. In your perspective, differentiating the seventh day from the rest is essential. However, the method to achieve this remains unresolved. We've explored instances where Jesus and the Apostles visited the temple of false teachings on the Sabbath, indicating that it's not a definitive way to sanctify the Sabbath. And if God refrains from secular activities on the Sabbath, agricultural fields would remain dry on that day (no raining on the seventh day).
God did not give us a commandment, that we would not be able to keep through His power. Jesus came to save the lost so if some were false teachers- Jesus teaching in the temples on the Sabbath is not breaking the Sabbath commandment. In claiming so you are teaching Jesus, and the apostles are sinners. Jesus in His own Words said He did not break the commandments or sinned, Mat 15:10 John 8:46-47 Heb 4:15 1 Peter2: 21-22.

Sad, so now the blessing of rain is God breaking His own Sabbath. The Sabbath was made for man Mark 2:27 the Sabbath is a commandment for man Exo 20:8-11 not God, man is not above God, we are to be His servants, to question or even insinuate that God is breaking the Sabbath because we have rain or sunshine on the Sabbath, just goes to show the lengths people go to try to get out of the Sabbath commandment- like something else could be more important than setting aside the day He asked us to, so He can spend time with us and bless and sanctify us because we can't sanctity ourselves, we need God Eze 20:12.
A troubling aspect of contemporary Christianity is when individuals, perhaps not as well-versed in scripture as they should be, assume roles as teachers, even earning a salary for their efforts. It's concerning when someone lacks depth in defending their beliefs and instead resorts to falsely accusing others. In our recent discussion, we were discussing how God engages in secular activities during Sabbath (and that proves not violating the Sabbath), but you falsely accused me of blaming God for such actions, deceiving yourself and others in the process.

And how was I implying that Jesus and the Apostles sinned by challenging false teachings in a temple that didn't worship Him during the Sabbath, thereby breaking the Sabbath? Accuser (known for consistently being "sad"), I anticipate your reasoned response explaining why this evidence does not prove that you are making false accusations.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
In our recent discussion, we were discussing how God engages in secular activities during Sabbath (and that proves not violating the Sabbath),
Gen 2:2-3 says that God's act of resting on the 7th day of creation week established the sanctity and binding nature of the Sabbath for humans. Ex 20:11 says that as well 'in legal code'.

So why would we then have to argue that God is resting for all the other 7th day Sabbaths? Doing it once in Gen 2:2-3 in the context of creation and planet Earth - already established the binding nature for that day according to Ex 20:8-11.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
God did not give us a commandment, that we would not be able to keep through His power.
true.
Jesus came to save the lost so if some were false teachers- Jesus teaching in the temples on the Sabbath is not breaking the Sabbath commandment.
True. I fact preaching the Gospel anywhere and everywhere is not breaking the Sabbath commandment
Jesus in His own Words said He did not break the commandments or sinned, Mat 15:10 John 8:46-47 Heb 4:15 1 Peter2: 21-22.
True and the NT maintains that even in the NT age "Sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4 where "The first commandment with a promise" in that still valid TEN Commandment unit - is "Honor your father and mother" Eph 6:2
Sad, so now the blessing of rain is God breaking His own Sabbath.
nope.
The Sabbath was made for man Mark 2:27
made or mankind - not "mankind MADE" for the Sabbath -- speaks of the making of BOTH in Gen 1-2:3

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
true.

True. I fact preaching the Gospel anywhere and everywhere is not breaking the Sabbath commandment

True and the NT maintains that even in the NT age "Sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4 where "The first commandment with a promise" in that still valid TEN Commandment unit - is "Honor your father and mother" Eph 6:2

nope.

made or mankind - not "mankind MADE" for the Sabbath -- speaks of the making of BOTH in Gen 1-2:3
Out of curiosity, when lightning accompanies the blessing of rain on the Sabbath and results in the destruction of a church building, is that also one of God's blessings or is He guilty of breaking the Sabbath by working to send a bolt of lightning earthward?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul never quoted from 603 commandments Rom 13:9, nor did James James 2:10-12, nor did Jesus Mat 19:17-19 Mat 5:19-30 people arguing over 600+ commandments yet can't even bring themselves to keep the Ten Commandments- what summarizes love to God and man.
I beg your pardon; Jesus certainly did quote from the 603 in Matt5. It would be very wise if you know what you are writing about before teaching others false data. How about divorce, oaths, eye for eye and love our enemies?

While I am at it, you keep referring to the word commandments as being the ten commandments. You are adding to scripture something that is not there. What we do know makes your theory void. Paul wrote in 2Cor 3 6-12 that the ten commandments have been replaced as a guide for Israel with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as the guide. Paul also explains in Eph2:10-15 that Jesus ended the Law with its commandments. John in Jn15 tells us Jesus kept the Law and he tells us to keep Jesus commands to love others as Jesus loves us. Jesus loves us so much that he gave His life that we might live. There is not one command in the old covenant Law that asked Israel to do that.

Telling us we are worshipping on the wrong day is a blatant lie. The nation of Israel was the only nation ever given the command to observe Sabbath. God has never demanded that any other nation or people to observe any day.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I beg your pardon; Jesus certainly did quote from the 603 in Matt5. It would be very wise if you know what you are writing about before teaching others false data. How about divorce, oaths, eye for eye and love our enemies?

While I am at it, you keep referring to the word commandments as being the ten commandments. You are adding to scripture something that is not there. What we do know makes your theory void. Paul wrote in 2Cor 3 6-12 that the ten commandments have been replaced as a guide for Israel with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as the guide. Paul also explains in Eph2:10-15 that Jesus ended the Law with its commandments. John in Jn15 tells us Jesus kept the Law and he tells us to keep Jesus commands to love others as Jesus loves us. Jesus loves us so much that he gave His life that we might live. There is not one command in the old covenant Law that asked Israel to do that.

Telling us we are worshipping on the wrong day is a blatant lie. The nation of Israel was the only nation ever given the command to observe Sabbath. God has never demanded that any other nation or people to observe any day.
I am quoting from Mat 5:19-30 which commandments are those? After Jesus quoted directly from the Ten He said furthermore which means in addition. The Ten Commandments covers much more than stated as Jesus showed from two of the Ten as principles

In the unit of Ten no more was added. Deut 5:22 it is a stand alone unit written by the Authority of God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am quoting from Mat 5:19-30 which commandments are those? After Jesus quoted directly from the Ten He said furthermore which means in addition.

In the unit of Ten no more was added. Deut 5:22 it is a stand alone unit written by the Authority of God.
Do you really believe the ten are all we have to be concerned about? Do you believe that all the other sins we commit that are not listed in the ten do not have to be reckoned? Is there any other sin that we can commit that would keep us from Heaven?

Upvote 0

simplefaith

Mar 28, 2024
malvern
✟762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
2 Cor3:6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenantnot of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

And the NEW Covenant according to Paul is the one we find quoted in Rom 8 from the OT in Jer 31:31-34

The Spirit does not delete "do not take God's name in vain" -- because under the NEW Covenant God WRITES the LAW of God on the heart see Jer 31:31-34
"I will make a NEW Covenant... THIS is the Covenant .. I will write My Law on their heart and mind, ... I will be their God... I will teach each one of them... I will forgive their sins" Jer 31:31-34

Instead of saying "go ahead and take My name in vain - I don't care about that any more... it was asking too much"

Without the transforming work of the Holy Spirit -- the one lead only by the flesh, only by the sinful nature - "DOES NOT submit to the LAW of God neither indeed CAN THEY" Rom 8:

5 For those who are in accord with the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are in accord with the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace, 7 because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so, 8 and those who are in the flesh cannot please God. 9 However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.​

2 Cor 3: 7 Now if the ministry that brought death, which was engraved in letters on stone, came with glory, so that the Israelites could not look steadily at the face of Moses because of its glory, transitory though it was, 8 will not the ministry of the Spirit be even more glorious? 9 If the ministry that brought condemnation was glorious, how much more glorious is the ministry that brings righteousness! 10 For what was glorious has no glory now in comparison with the surpassing glory. 11 And if what was transitory came with glory, how much greater is the glory of that which lasts!

As anyone who has studied the English language is able to see, in the above verses, the subject of those verses is the NEW Covenant vs the OLD Covenant - where both have the ten commandments. And in the case of the NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 they are written on the heart by the SPIRIT - but under the OLD covenant they remains external - on tablets of stone alone.

Therefore under BOTH covenants it is always a sin "to take God's name in vain". But under the NEW Covenant - the New Heart (no longer the stony heart) that command is written on the heart - the new creation.

No wonder Paul states that in the distinct unit of TEN - "Honor your father and mother is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2 and as such - still applies to all mankind.

Under the OLD Covenant that same Law known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-34 yet without the Spirit, without the gospel - merely condemns the sinner "for all have sinned" Rom 3:23 and "The ages of sin is death" Rom 6:23

Rom 3:19-20 reminds us that the Law of God places all the world under guilt, doomed -- and this is why all need the Gospel where that moral law of God is "written on heart and mind" and the power to act - is via the indwelling Holy Spirit of God.
==============================================

No wonder that BEFORE THE CROSS even happens - both Moses and Elijah stand in glory with Christ on the mount of transfiguration. The NEW Covenant of Jer 31:31-34 -
Great truth of course, applicable law is now in the hearts of believers under the NC. And, Paul tells us that gentiles who have never known of biblical law can show the requirements(not some of the requirements) of the law are written on their hearts, obviously by the way they act(Rom2:14&15) Some sadly still rely on a law written in ink, without that they wouldnt know which law they believe they should follow. I guess Paul had a different kind of christianity to many today

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Do you really believe the ten are all we have to be concerned about? Do you believe that all the other sins we commit that are not listed in the ten do not have to be reckoned? Is there any other sin that we can commit that would keep us from Heaven?
I have never said only the Ten we need to be concerned about those are your words not mine, but I do believe we should be concerned with the warning Jesus gives us in Mat 5:19-30

Last edited:
Upvote 0

simplefaith

Mar 28, 2024
malvern
✟762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In my experience, those who keep stating ''you must obey the TC'' only have a very shallow understanding as to what obedience to those commands entails. One person told me, and I quote: ''What's so hard about keeping ten simple commands''

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
In my experience, those who keep stating ''you must obey the TC'' only have a very shallow understanding as to what obedience to those commands entails. One person told me, and I quote: ''What's so hard about keeping ten simple commands''
If one determines to apply a very simplistic, tight definition to the TC, then it is no problem at all. Unfortunately, in doing so, they neglect the explicit teaching of Jesus Christ as in the parable of the Good Samaritan.

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And your subjective comment here adds what to the conversation? Animosity due to the insult.
And just so you are aware, no one said just the ten. If they do or did they need to get back to the Book

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,087.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And your subjective comment here adds what to the conversation? Animosity due to the insult.
And just so you are aware, no one said just the ten.
That's true. At the same time, several people here imply or state that the 10 are separate from the other commandments.

My impression is that they believe more effort should be put into keeping the 10 than other Commandments in effect today. Is that your impression, as well? (Everyone welcome to respond.)

If they do or did they need to get back to the Book

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,027.00
Faith
Non-Denom
That's true. At the same time, several people here imply or state that the 10 are separate from the other commandments.

My impression is that they believe more effort should be put into keeping the 10 than other Commandments in effect today. Is that your impression, as well? (Everyone welcome to respond.)
When I have inquired as to the relative status of the other commandments (which I have done frequently) I have had a mixed variety of responses. The most common is that all the other ones are encompassed by the ten and, therefore, can be viewed simply as commentary. Another response has been that because the commandments relating to the sacrificial system are now unattainable, having been replaced by Jesus Christ's sacrifice, only the ten remain applicable to life today. A slightly more sophisticated rendition is to divide the Law into the Moral Law and the Ceremonial Law. Using this paradigm one is free to determine which commandments are "Moral" and which are not and, therefore, irrelevant.

None of this is at all new, of course. The long nineteenth century provided the necessary environment for this to be developed. What we see today are the remnants of this culture. It is expressed not merely within Christianity but in our society at large where there are various effort to place the Ten Commandments in all areas of public activity. Interestingly, some of this stems from earlier architectural embellishment of court buildings, including the U. S. Supreme Court where there is not only a statue of Moses holding the Ten Commandments, but also Hammurabi, holding a copy of his famous code. Both are intended to depict ancient sources of laws. Curiously, we do no see a groundswell today to copies of Hammurabi's Code placed in public venues.

There is a fringe element in Christianity who pride themselves on being the carriers of Truth in the face of the rest of Christendom which has lapsed into falsehoods of various sorts. I certainly see this with folks who insist that the King James Bible is God's truly inspired scripture for all of mankind and any other translation is false and perverted. I also have encountered many folks who truly believe that the Ten Commandments are God's infallible commandments for mankind and there are no others of any greater significance.

Reactions: Leaf473
Upvote 0

simplefaith

Mar 28, 2024
malvern
✟762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed

And just so you are aware, no one said just the ten. If they do or did they need to get back to the Book
It adds more to the conversation than you are able to understand

Upvote 0

simplefaith

Mar 28, 2024
malvern
✟762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If one determines to apply a very simplistic, tight definition to the TC, then it is no problem at all. Unfortunately, in doing so, they neglect the explicit teaching of Jesus Christ as in the parable of the Good Samaritan.
Is it not a problem, if someone with only a shallow understanding of what obedience to the TC entails, tells someone who does understand what obedience entails that if they do not obey the TC they cannot enter heaven?

Upvote 0

HIM

Friend
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2018
Alabama
Visit site
✟376,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It adds more to the conversation than you are able to understand
No, not at all. It is an insult. Just like this here that we are replying to. I am guessing you do this because you do not have anything relevant to add. I could be wrong, surprise me.

Upvote 0

simplefaith

Mar 28, 2024
malvern
✟762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
No, not at all. It is an insult. Just like this here that we are replying to. I am guessing you do this because you do not have anything relevant to add. I could be wrong, surprise me.
Oh its quite relevant to point out people who much stress you must obey the TC only have a shallow understanding of what that entails, from your first response to me it is obvious that offends you. I wonder why

Upvote 0