✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
http://www.answersingenesis.org/us/newsletters/0104lead.asp

anyone experiencing this in their churches?

from: http://www.reasons.org/resources/apologetics/response_to_aig.shtml?main
Please refrain from launching counterattacks. Follow RTB’s policy of investing minimal time and effort in responding to verbal assault so as to keep our focus firmly fixed on the evangelistic ministry to which God has called us. Our mission is to impact the world—believers and skeptics—with compelling new reasons for faith in Jesus Christ. RTB scholars continue to use cutting-edge science to demonstrate the complete reliability of God’s Word, the Bible, and of the Gospel it reveals.

We will not be diverted from our calling. God continues to open doors for RTB and to change lives through RTB—as only He can. We remain committed to proclaiming Christ and to reflecting Him in our words and actions. Please join us in making that same commitment.

notto

Legend
May 31, 2002
Visit site
✟22,369.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
I guess the outcome of this program hasn't been making the news. I haven't seen too many churches come out and say 'we reject mainstream science, logic, and what we can see with our own two eyes and accept young earth creationism'.

It should have been named 'Operation: congnitive dissodence'.

Upvote 0

owen_rocks

May 14, 2002
Visit site
✟309.00
Faith
Christian
rmwilliamsll said:
anyone experiencing this in their churches?
I heard Ken Ham speak a few months ago. He was pushing the book
by Dr. Sarfati called "Refuting Compromise" which deals with Hugh Ross's
progressive creationism position. He mentioned he wanted every pastor in America to have a copy. I bought a copy among some other books.

It is actually a pretty good overview of the AIG - YEC position.

That's my only experience with it....haven't heard anyone else mention
it other than another friend who was at the same conference.

-o/r

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
notto said:
I guess the outcome of this program hasn't been making the news. I haven't seen too many churches come out and say 'we reject mainstream science, logic, and what we can see with our own two eyes and accept young earth creationism'.

It should have been named 'Operation: congnitive dissodence'.
I've never seen anything with my own two eyes or logical about believing in evolution. I just had to put my faith in a different book by a more reliable author.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
TwinCrier said:
I've never seen anything with my own two eyes or logical about believing in evolution. I just had to put my faith in a different book by a more reliable author.

mhess13 said:
It's a great book, but the problem with it is that it gets way to technical and boring at times for the average pastor or lay person. You have to have a big interst in the topic to stay glued to this book.

it is curious to have these two comments juxtapositioned.
God wrote both books-that of Words and of Works.
neither are simple, uncomplicated, plain both require study, desire-to-understand, and plain hard work to interpret. In addition Scripture requires the Holy Spirit to enlighten the reader.

the doctrine of the perspicuity of Scripture applies only to the essential elements of the Gospel, the things necessary to salvation are so clearly taught that even plowman with his hand on the plow can understand.

Even Peter says there are hard things in Paul's letters.

Yet YECists consistently denigrate scholarship and study as worldly, or even satanic. This anti-intellectualism is one of the major forces leading to the current problems with YECism, theology and modern science. Often it appears to involve an unreasonable faith, where the correct approach to both books is a faithful reason.

btw, there is nothing in _Refuting Compromise_ more difficult than sophomore chemistry. Certainly a minimal requirement to understand and contribute on the CED boards.

I've never seen anything with my own two eyes or logical about believing in evolution
then you aren't looking/listening : varves, GLO, 2p+2q, ice cores
and those just the last week on so in this forum.

Upvote 0

TwinCrier

Double Blessed and spreading the gospel
Oct 11, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟24,768.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
rmwilliamsll said:
Yet YECists consistently denigrate scholarship and study as worldly, or even satanic.....
I have seen no evidence of this. Every YEC denomination favors higher education. However, when faced with claims that contradict the bible, those claims must be examined closely and not taken at face value before forsaking religious belief. YEC's on this board alone are constantly presummed to be ignorant because of our resistance to accept the claims of those who proclaim themselves scientists. Science is not an enemy of the bible, but many scientists are. You're inability to convince me of your belief isn't due to my ignorance simply because I am more skeptical of the evidence that is supposed to prove evolution.
affe025.gif

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Yet YECists consistently denigrate scholarship and study as worldly, or even satanic.....

I have seen no evidence of this

from a study i did about 1 year ago. consists of about 3 months of reading....here is your evidence--->
my reading list. all with the same theme:
the anti-intellectualism of the modern evangelical church.

I've been working on the issues in the creation-evolution-design debate for over a year now. This idea of the anti-intellectualism in the modern American evangelical and fundamentalist church and community is taking on a life of it's own.

Beginning with an excellent essay at:
www.theatlantic.com/issues/2000/10/wolfe.htm

i decided to ask for help here in building a nice annotated book list on the topic.
the original list is on my blog at:
www.livejournal.com/users/rmwilliamsjr/90511.html

I. anti-intellectualism from an historical perspective
'Protestants in an Age of Science: The Baconian Ideal and Ante-Bellum American Religious Thought'
demonstrates the historical development of the 'common sense' or 'man-in-the-pew' literal hermeneutic. probably a little technical for most people's taste. a under-read and under appreciated book.
'America's God: From Jonathan Edwards to Abraham Lincoln'
a must read on the historical development of Christianity in the US
'The Battle for God'
a must read of fundamentalism as a cross-cultural and across monotheist faiths phenomena.
'Darwin's Forgotten Defenders: The Encounter Between Evangelical Theology and Evolutionary Thought'

perhaps the best book to break the shell of the YEC on how historical conservative theologians react(ed) to darwin.
'The Presbyterian Controversy: Fundamentalists, Modernists, and Moderates (Religion in America)'
pretty much of interest to the reformed camp. i am so i liked it.
'Understanding Fundamentalism and Evangelicalism'
one of the best more complete intros to fundamentalism as social phenomena.
'The Uneasy Center: Reformed Christianity in Antebellum America'
scholarly, very good writing and research. general intro like _America's God_, i'd read this after it.
'Evangelicalism: Comparative Studies of Popular Protestantism in North America, the British Isles, and Beyond, 1700-1990 (Religion in America)'
'The Subversion of Christianity'
'The Democratization of American Christianity'
'Theology in America: Christian Thought from the Age of the Puritans to the Civil War'

II. anti-intellectualism from a systematic theological perspective
'Love Your God With All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul'
good, i'd rate it the 2nd book in this section to read
'The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind'
so far the best in this section
'Fit Bodies Fat Minds: Why Evangelicals Don't Think and What to Do About It (Hourglass Books)'
a little too simplified for my tastes. unusual structure. handy and short intro.
'The Christian Frame of Mind'
'Faith With Reason'
'Habits of the Mind: Intellectual Life As a Christian Calling'
'No Place for Truth or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?'
'The Outrageous Idea of Christian Scholarship'
'Philosophical Foundations for a Christian Worldview'
crtainly the most complete, also the least likely to be read because of it's level and length. but whoever thinks philosophy to be easy is deeply mistaken. will be read by those really interested in the topic.
'Putting It All Together'
'Your Mind Matters'

III. anti-intellectualism from a sociological perspective
'The Mind of the Bible Believer'
secular, very hard on the fundamentalist mindset, challenging painful at times but essential reading
'Unleashing the Scripture: Freeing the Bible from Captivity to America'
'Anti-Intellectualism in American Life'
'Reforming fundamentalism: Fuller Seminary and the new evangelicalism'
'The Soul of the American University: From Protestant Establishment to Established Nonbelief'
'The Remaking of Evangelical Theology'
from: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...C/ref=cm_aya_av.sylt_sylt/103-9859407-0963825

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.