Is same sex attraction just a temptation, or is it a sin like homosexuality?

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟337,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Before we get too far into the discussion, here's a reminder of one of the rules for this forum:

Homosexuality, Same-Sex Marriage, Bisexuality and Transgenderism/Transexualism: Discussion of these topics must comply with the sitewide rule barring the promotion of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality, and transgenderism/transexualism. Discussion and debate should only be directed toward political, legal, historical and civil rights issues, and should not be directed toward the morality of homosexuality, same-sex marriage, bisexuality or transgenderism/transexualism.

Source:

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟337,582.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I'll add that if we lived near each other, we could go out for coffee and talk for an hour; I could tell you what my church believes, and why, and you could tell me about your church's beliefs. But that discussion can't happen here on CF.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟96,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There's been several debate about whether same sex attraction is a sin or not. Some says that same sex attraction is just a temptation while other says it's a sin just like homosexuality, what do you think?
Well, as a Christian bi guy, I will remain celibate if attracted to a man, as it is my duty to uphold the Bible and protect myself and others. I believe it is important to clarify that the Bible does not specifically address same-sex attraction itself, but rather addresses certain sexual acts. The Bible teaches that all human beings are created in the image of God and deserve love, dignity, and respect (Genesis 1:27; James 3:9).

Regarding sexual acts, the Bible clearly states that sex is intended to be expressed within a heterosexual marriage between one man and one woman (Genesis 2:24; Matthew 19:5). Any sexual activity outside of this, including homosexuality, is considered sinful in the Bible (Leviticus 18:22; Romans 1:26-27).

However, it is essential to recognize that having same-sex attraction or any other unwanted sexual thoughts or feelings does not equate to committing a sin. Struggling with these attractions is not the same as acting on them. The Bible also teaches that God offers grace, forgiveness, and help for those who desire to live in obedience to Him (1 Corinthians 6:9-11; 10:13).

Therefore, while it is crucial not to minimize the seriousness of sin, we should also extend compassion and understanding towards those dealing with same-sex attraction or other sexual struggles. Ultimately, it is up to each individual to seek God's guidance, embrace His love and grace, and strive to live according to His teachings.

Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟73,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
There's been several debate about whether same sex attraction is a sin or not. Some says that same sex attraction is just a temptation while other says it's a sin just like homosexuality, what do you think?
Do you only have one shoe box in your closet. Most the people I know would not admit to anything more than being curious. But I am sure there are lots of stories out there. Maybe everyone has their own story. My issue is I find that sort of stuff repulsive which can cause problems when there are people who want approval for what they are doing. I told my son just stay neutral not pro or con. Either can cause problems.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
@PloverWing > I will try to offer an ethical and philosophical thing > temptation can be when something tries to get us to do what is wrong. But we do not sin if we do not give in to it.

But the Bible goes deeper than this, ethically and philosophically.

For example, our Apostle Paul says >

"All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." (1 Corinthians 6:12)

So, I see from this, how it is wrong for us to give in to the power "of any". To me, this includes how I need to stay attentive to God, and not let anything or anyone less than God have power to manage my attention.

And there is lust. Lust is a dominating and controlling drive, not God's gentle and humble guiding in His love peaceful and kind in our emotions and feelings.

So, yes we can have God and love and life without the nasty interruption and controlling of our attention caused by lusts and thoughts for inferior things which are uncaring and about material stuff.

God is creative and in His love we can enjoy being creative for how to love any person. Selfish pleasure does not help us with this.

We can know what is good of God, by refusing to allow inferior things to control our feelings and attention. In God's love and personal guiding we have His power and immunity almighty to keep us here.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Sun!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,138,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I don't think that being cognitively aware of one's own sexual attraction is a sin in and of itself. I wouldn't classify that awareness as lust, and I'd go so far as to posit that it's not even a temptation at that point. It's simply an awareness, whether its same sex or not.

So, I don't think people should mentally beat themselves up over it at that point. Nor should they allow others to beat them up mentally either.

However, it's when our thinking begins to bring in motivation that things get socially (and spiritually) messy, and that's not just for those who have a same sex attraction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟18,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
believe it is important to clarify that the Bible does not specifically address same-sex attraction itself, but rather addresses certain sexual acts.

What you posted isn't true.

In fact Jesus said that if you lust in your Head, regarding enjoying some imaginary sex act with your boyfriend or girlfriend, then you have committed the deed., already.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟18,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There's been several debate about whether same sex attraction is a sin or not.

Reader,

Temptation isn't sin.
Jesus was Tempted, yet without sin.

See, a Temptation is a thought, that becomes rooted in the imagination as= LUST.

So, when your Temptation has evolved to the point of LUSTING To do it... then the sin has been committed.

But if you dont let it get there......if you recognize what you are thinking and get it out, turn it off, dont let it get into the imagination process, then its just one more thought, along the way, and nothing more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟96,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What you posted isn't true.

In fact Jesus said that if you lust in your Head, regarding enjoying some imaginary sex act with your boyfriend or girlfriend, then you have committed the deed., already.
Can you cite a verse please? Also, I am not into intercourse acts, as celibacy is the way to go for me.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟18,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you cite a verse please? Also, I am not into intercourse acts, as celibacy is the way to go for me.

But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

New Living Translation
But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

English Standard Version
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Berean Standard Bible
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Berean Literal Bible
But I say to you that everyone looking upon a woman in order to lust after her already has committed adultery with her in his heart.

King James Bible
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

New King James Version
But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

New American Standard Bible
but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

NASB 1995
but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

NASB 1977
but I say to you, that everyone who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Legacy Standard Bible
but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Amplified Bible
but I say to you that everyone who [so much as] looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Christian Standard Bible
But I tell you, everyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
But I tell you, everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

• Winner
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟96,979.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

New Living Translation
But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

English Standard Version
But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Berean Standard Bible
But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman to lust after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Berean Literal Bible
But I say to you that everyone looking upon a woman in order to lust after her already has committed adultery with her in his heart.

King James Bible
But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

New King James Version
But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

New American Standard Bible

NASB 1995

NASB 1977
but I say to you, that everyone who looks on a woman to lust for her has committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Legacy Standard Bible
but I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Amplified Bible
but I say to you that everyone who [so much as] looks at a woman with lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Christian Standard Bible
But I tell you, everyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
But I tell you, everyone who looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Thank you quoting scripture. I try to always quote verses. :)

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟18,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I appreciate your resolve . @AlexB23
Im not casting stones..
I can say with certainty that before i was born again, many years ago, i was a very proficient sinner.

I was a Pro Musicians among other careers and so, in that LIFE< is much debauchery to be found.
I tried it all, and perfected it.

So, i KNOW that Jesus can DELIVER and RESTORE, as He did it for me.
So, in that Light.. you can know that There are people who have been healed of "alt sex" desires,.

Why?
its because Salvation is more than a ticket to escape Hell.

Its actually a total restoration back into original Adam, as He was, before He committed willful rebellion that became the fall of us all.

Salvation is not a rebirth into a better you.....Its a Regeneration of you into a"" New Creation, IN Christ"..., and that is not what you were.

And to get that revelation, is where deliverance begins.

Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟73,927.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I don't think that being cognitively aware of one's own sexual attraction is a sin in and of itself
In Matthew 18:9 Jesus said: "And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell." We even see this with Eve and the original sin. Genesis 3:6

Of course you may mean something different from attraction. What about pedophiles? Is it ok for them to be attracted? I do not think so. Josh Duggar is in jail for 12 years or longer for having some sort of photos on his computer.

Or is it ok for me to be attracted to my wife's friends? She may have something to say about that. They may have something to say also out of loyalty to her they would not want to get her mad at them.

So I would say attraction to forbidden fruit is not a good thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,138,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In Matthew 18:9 Jesus said: "And if your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell." We even see this with Eve and the original sin. Genesis 3:6

Of course you may mean something different from attraction. What about pedophiles? Is it ok for them to be attracted? I do not think so. Josh Duggar is in jail for 12 years or longer for having some sort of photos on his computer.

Or is it ok for me to be attracted to my wife's friends? She may have something to say about that. They may have something to say also out of loyalty to her they would not want to get her mad at them.

So I would say attraction to forbidden fruit is not a good thing.

Obviously attraction to "forbidden fruit" is not a good thing. But you we're already correct when you said, "Of course you may mean something different from attraction." Yes, I definitely do.

And yes, pedophiles are in my three PPP's classification of deviants which I don't bother to deal with or discuss because I think they're intuitively and obviously morally wrong to just about everyone who isn't a sociopath.

Please keep in mind that when I'm referring to 'sexual attraction," I'm fully ASSUMING that the context applies, and should only be applied, to adults, with the principle of consent also coming up in the mix and always remaining as another aspect of context that, I think, can be and should be assumed without always having to say so explicitly.

Are we copacetic now?

On the other hand, I disagree with your analogous juxtaposition of what seems to epistemically transpire in the Eden Account involving Eve with what Jesus is reported to have said about a man's misplaced sexual desire. I don't think these two examples are analogous to one another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟18,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Is it ok for them to be attracted?

Or is it ok for me to be attracted

See that "Attraction".

That is just LUST.

"when lust has conceived it gives birth to SIN". "brings forth"..

Its always the same, its some type of Lust, and it can be for money, for fornication, for power, for attention.

Its the same LUST issue, it just has different outlets and end results.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,138,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
See that "Attraction".

That is just LUST.

"when lust has conceived it gives birth to SIN". "brings forth"..

Its always the same, its some type of Lust, and it can be for money, for fornication, for power, for attention.

Its the same LUST issue, it just has different outlets and end results.

I have to disagree. We need to avoid equivocating between simple sexual attraction and lust. These are not the same thing. Let's not pretend they are.

Upvote 0

Aviel

Jun 21, 2023
Nashville
✟18,431.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have to disagree. We need to avoid equivocating between simple sexual attraction and lust.

Then don't do that, as i didnt. @2PhiloVoid

I explained it like this...

'"""Temptation isn't sin.

See, a Temptation is a thought, that becomes rooted in the imagination as= LUST.

So, when your Temptation has evolved to the point of LUSTING To do it... then the sin has been committed.

But if you dont let it get there......if you recognize what you are thinking and get it out, turn it off, dont let it get into the imagination process, then its just one more thought, along the way, and nothing more."""

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,138,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Then don't do that, as i didnt. @2PhiloVoid

I explained it like this...

'"""Temptation isn't sin.

But if you dont let it get there......if you recognize what you are thinking and get it out, turn it off, dont let it get into the imagination process, then its just one more thought, along the way, and nothing more."""

The problem here is, of course, that we don't know how much knowledge Jesus (or His Apostles) had about human male psychology and the autonomic sexual response. I'm thinking that even His knowledge was limited and that the context He was drawing for it was from His Jewish theology along with numerous examples of men acting naughty with women in the Old Testament.

What does this mean for us today? It means WE need to realize we only have a limited hermeneutical insight into EXACTLY what psychological processes Jesus was referring to in His admonition to men to guard against their proclivities to lust.

But here, in this thread, we were originally talking about 'same-sex attraction,' not hetero-sexual male attraction to women. Let's stay on topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0