Real Dangers of Walk to Emmaus - It Ruined My Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

choiralto

http://www.upperroom.org/emmaus/

Walk to Emmaus is a highly, highly respected program that has been attended by thousands and thousands of Christians as a renewal time with God. If an attendee is receiving phone calls and inquiries from home, the focus will be on home instead of the weekend. I know many, many intelligent respectable friends who can't say enough good about their weekend. Please be careful how we make rash judgements based on one person's experiences. Read about it for yourself. Blessings.
At last -- someone who actually knows what s/he's talking about! THANK YOU for helping to counteract the heinous untruth this person is spreading . . .

Upvote 0
C

choiralto

It's time the slanderous lies about Walk to Emmaus are stopped. Here are some points of truth.

First, the teachings of WTE are based solely on Scripture, and amount to this:
  1. The Gospel in one word is LOVE.
  2. Prayer works!
  3. The way to grow in Christ is through piety (public and private worship), study (of Scripture) and action (doing justice and loving mercy, per Micah 6:8).
Second, WTE does not use sleep deprivation or any other such tactic. I can show you a schedule if you like.

Third, any "secrecy" exists only because certain activities on the Walk are more fun if they come as a surprise. There is nothing sinister to hide. Reunion groups are simply Bible study/accountability groups by another name.

I understand that individuals, and individual groups, may abuse the formula. But the formula itself is Scriptural, honorable, and psychologically sound. Please stop spreading lies about this powerful evangelistic tool.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Emmaus Walk

There are numerous groups that use techniques to draw in members and influence their beliefs. These groups are not only ecumenical in themselves but work to draw Christians together into a One-World Church. Among these groups are: Cursillo; The Emmaus Walk; Alpha Course; and The Purpose Driven Life.

All Christians should be cautioned to never do anything in secret or be part of something that tell you to not reveal its secrets whether its Freemasonry or the Emmaus Walk

I have seen what the long-term effects of Christian groups masked as Christianity can do to a person.

The Cursillo Movement originated in the Roman Catholic Church. However, many of the current Cursillo Movements are now run by Protestant denominations. The Three major movements are Tres Dies, a charismatic movement with ties to the United Methodist Church; "The Emmaus Walk," sponsored by the UMC; and the Lutheran-affiliated "Via De Cristo."

The weekend retreats aren't just aimed at adults, it also targets teenagers, and these quick fix retreats create more problems for a church than they resolve.

Stories of problems resulting from the retreats, as in the case of the original thread posted by “Concerned Husband” at http://www.christianforums.com/t2636052 Item 1. It's very strange, that church members who completed this walk have done extreme things, and become secretive. It's almost like the weekend retreat has become the focus of their spiritual lives.

All participants are recruited by those already in the movement, and is not open to everyone. To attend you are required to be sponsored, and you cannot apply to attend the walk. “Freely you have received, freely give” (Matt. 10:8b).

The Emmaus Walk is claimed to be pure with a purpose and vision is to create Christian pilgrims who can go back and strengthen local congregations. People attending the retreats are called pilgrims and the retreat locations are called communities.

The Walk to Emmaus was created in 1977 as the Upper Room Cursillo. It was licensed with the Roman Catholic Cursillo. In 1982, the United Methodists broke from the Catholics and created a retreat that would steer away from Catholic theology.

Tres Dies was actually a Methodist Cursillo that broke off in the 1980s. And while it is a separate Cursillo, the structure is similar to the Emmaus Walk.

It has been admitted there have been some problems with the retreats, specifically the veil of secrecy, because it’s claimed that “the secrecy” is part of the tradition of the Cursillo, which is a form of a secret society.

“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret” (Eph. 5:12)

The best method of spiritual renewal is through discipleship, and not Emmaus Walk.
As I researched what I consider to be an extremely dangerous “spiritual” trend in the Body of Christ, my empathy and concern deepened for the young people and youth pastors involved. I have little doubt that the motivation common to most of them arises from a desire to know God more intimately. That is not only what every biblical believer wants but, more importantly, that's what the Lord wants for us. Furthermore, no truly born-again Christian can deny the experiential aspect of his personal relationship with our Lord Jesus Christ. So what exactly is the problem? God's way is being forsaken for man's way—and worse.

Programs and practices rife with occult methodologies and techniques have been in the works at churches and youth ministries around the world: Taizé, Lectio Divina, The Labyrinth (prayer walk), Renovaré, guided imagery, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo, Centering Prayer, Ignatian Awareness Examen, The Jesus Prayer, and The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, Contemplative Prayer, Prayer soaking to name but a handful. Two significant reasons for the appalling growth of these and other similar activities are that they have an inside track with established Para-church organisations, and there are an increasing numbers of evangelicals who are acquiring a taste for things that are of other reglions.

In addition to ­having special weekend retreats they continue their work through local groups. Much that goes on behind closed doors all sounds very biblical, but much of what goes on is designed to make everyone feel as though they are one and to feel good about themselves and each other.

Although they may speak about our Lord Jesus Christ and the Bible, doctrinal distinctions are avoided. After all, in such circumstances people are generally reluctant to offend anyone regarding their church affiliation. Thus, the cohesiveness of the groups is based on whatever the members have in common, either naturally or as a result of indoctrination.

Absolute truth is substituted with consensus, and there comes a distinct confusion regarding faith and works.

We need to guard against the deception, and certainly believers are commanded to fellowship with one another. Small groups provide ways to get to know one another and to mutually care for one another in the Body of Christ. But, how might Christians guard themselves against the deceptions of psychological group dynamics, because that is what Emmaus Walk is?

Christians need to heed the Apostle John’s admonition in 1 John 4:1: “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”

Being familiar with the variety of psychological and social means to induce one into a belief or activity and to overcome or alter one’s faith may also alert one to possible danger. As far as Emmaus Walk is concerned, everything is done in secret, and is psychologically deceptive.

Reactions: Phil G
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Emmaus Walk

There are numerous groups that use techniques to draw in members and influence their beliefs. These groups are not only ecumenical in themselves but work to draw Christians together into a One-World Church. Among these groups are: Cursillo; The Emmaus Walk; Alpha Course; and The Purpose Driven Life.
Having done the Alpha course I can say there is nothing wrong with it. Sure I didn't agree with everything but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with it. The basic principles are fine.

All Christians should be cautioned to never do anything in secret or be part of something that tell you to not reveal its secrets whether its Freemasonry or the Emmaus Walk
Yeah it was so evil and wrong for all those secret churches to meet underground and worship God in secret! They should have telephoned the secret police and told them when and where the service was being held so they could all be arrested and tortured in prison. Of course there are still secret underground churches today. The point being just because something is done in secret does not make it wrong.

I have seen what the long-term effects of Christian groups masked as Christianity can do to a person.
Yes this is true but you have no evidence that Emmaus is one of these groups. You have some people who have had bad experiences but you also have equal amount with good experiences. So if we judge by personal experience then we're deadlocked.

The weekend retreats aren't just aimed at adults, it also targets teenagers, and these quick fix retreats create more problems for a church than they resolve.
Funny how the people from my church who have been are not causing problems. So once again a claim that is just based on opinion.

Stories of problems resulting from the retreats, as in the case of the original thread posted by “Concerned Husband” at http://www.christianforums.com/t2636052 Item 1. It's very strange, that church members who completed this walk have done extreme things, and become secretive. It's almost like the weekend retreat has become the focus of their spiritual lives.
But is that the fault of the walk or is it the people at fault. I would say any wrongdoing is the fault of the individual involved.

All participants are recruited by those already in the movement, and is not open to everyone. To attend you are required to be sponsored, and you cannot apply to attend the walk. “Freely you have received, freely give” (Matt. 10:8b).
It's tempting to come visit you for awhile and see if you live this out in the context you are using it. Or maybe we can put this verse in context otherwise the bible contradicts itself when it tells us not to always freely give.

The Emmaus Walk is claimed to be pure with a purpose and vision is to create Christian pilgrims who can go back and strengthen local congregations. People attending the retreats are called pilgrims and the retreat locations are called communities.
Ok so they use different terminology. Hardly a big deal. My church often refers to the congregation as a community. Why? Because we are a community. I think you need to check the definition of community. People who have shared a common experience often do talk about being in community. There are diffferent communities in which we live. For instance Australia in one community but not everyone in Australia is part of the Queensland community or the local community you live in. So there you have it your living in more than one community.

It has been admitted there have been some problems with the retreats, specifically the veil of secrecy, because it’s claimed that “the secrecy” is part of the tradition of the Cursillo, which is a form of a secret society.

“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret” (Eph. 5:12)
The key part of this verse you quoted is the phrase "unfruitful works of darkness". It is shameful to speak of those things. It does not say it is shameful to do anything in secret.

The best method of spiritual renewal is through discipleship, and not Emmaus Walk.
So who is to provide that discipleship? Be honest. Any wrong teaching you claim may happen on the walk can just as easily be done through discipleship. So the real issue is how do you find a good person to help with your own discipleship? All Emmaus is is a method of discipling.

Programs and practices rife with occult methodologies and techniques have been in the works at churches and youth ministries around the world: Taizé, Lectio Divina, The Labyrinth (prayer walk), Renovaré, guided imagery, Walk to Emmaus, Cursillo, Centering Prayer, Ignatian Awareness Examen, The Jesus Prayer, and The Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, Contemplative Prayer, Prayer soaking to name but a handful. Two significant reasons for the appalling growth of these and other similar activities are that they have an inside track with established Para-church organisations, and there are an increasing numbers of evangelicals who are acquiring a taste for things that are of other reglions.
Funny how christians take what is a completly non-christian celebration and then turn it into a christian festival (like Easter and christmas just to name two).

Although they may speak about our Lord Jesus Christ and the Bible, doctrinal distinctions are avoided. After all, in such circumstances people are generally reluctant to offend anyone regarding their church affiliation. Thus, the cohesiveness of the groups is based on whatever the members have in common, either naturally or as a result of indoctrination.
What is wrong with avoiding what you call doctrinal distinctions? Really what are doctrinal distinctions? They are simply beliefs that one group of christians believe and another doesn't. Both claim they are right and produce passages to back up their view. What they aren't actually looking at is does that difference actually matter? No it doesn't. All the mainstream churches agree on essentials. They may have different ways of doing some things but they actually agree. The things they don't agree on aren't important. If you want to be one of these people who wants to focus on the differences and fuel divisions go ahead but for me I'm going to believe the essentials and happily let others have their views on unimportant matters and focus on doing what God commanded us to do such as taking care of disadvantaged and speaking for those who can't speak for themselves.

Absolute truth is substituted with consensus, and there comes a distinct confusion regarding faith and works.

We need to guard against the deception, and certainly believers are commanded to fellowship with one another. Small groups provide ways to get to know one another and to mutually care for one another in the Body of Christ. But, how might Christians guard themselves against the deceptions of psychological group dynamics, because that is what Emmaus Walk is?

Christians need to heed the Apostle John’s admonition in 1 John 4:1: “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.”
Yes we do need to follow this advice. That means the individual who attends the Emmaus walk has a responsibility to check the teaching to make sure it matches scripture just like they should with everything they are taught at church or bible study. The real problem comes because too many christians don't know why they believe what they do. That is the problem.

So how about providing proof of what basic principles they teach and why it is not biblically correct. I'm sure that if I went on one I would not agree with everything so I'm talking about the core beliefs that they push.

Being familiar with the variety of psychological and social means to induce one into a belief or activity and to overcome or alter one’s faith may also alert one to possible danger. As far as Emmaus Walk is concerned, everything is done in secret, and is psychologically deceptive.
While I've never been on a walk I have been told alot of what goes on by people who have been. So much for your secrecy claims!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.