Can Speaking in Tongues Be Translated With Google Translate?

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

For who can resist his will?
Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Now first I would just like to say that google translate isn't perfect I also want to say that it is very difficult and maybe even impossible to know when a word is formed in a tongue you speak. I do want to say that I recorded myself speaking in tongues then repeated it over and over slowly to break it down into syllables and it was still difficult to know when a word began and ended. That said what I found remarkable is that when I put it in google translate it showed I spoke languages like swedish,afrikanns,chinese,japanese, and bulgarian. Which I think proves that the tongues that people speak are not jibberish but actual words from an actual language. So was amazing to type out my tongues and have it come up as a detected language. I also want to say until we have voice recognition software that is capable of detecting a language then translating it, that it will be pretty pointless in trying to do it yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: BeStill&Know

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Linguists tell us that there are only so many sounds we can make that can be used for a language, and probably all of them, or at least almost all of them, are being used somewhere in the world in some language. Google Translate simply looks through the literature of the world, and tries to match whatever you type in with something that someone has put on the internet. There are far fewer sounds than there are words needed to have a complete language, and when you have hundreds of languages in your data base, pretty much everything you type in will match something.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well I believe there are two types of tounges in the bible. The first one is for example the tower of Babylon. Hence we get the word "babel" (confusing noise thats made by many voices). They afterward spoke in many tounges. As in different languages.

Then there is the tounges as in the gift. A holy/divine language as some say. It was my understanding that one someone speaks in the divine tounges, its only legit if someone is around to hear it and translate it. As in lets say your at church and someone starts in tounges. Its because God is using them as a conduit to relay a message. And liekwise he then uses someone else as a conduit to translate it. Hence if it happens like that, its legit.

BUT thats just how I was taught. I by no way am saying your not speaking in tounges. But there will never be a human made translation device that could translate it because its a holy language. One thats not documented. Hence God using people to translate it through the holy spirit.

Now I will say I do believe God can use people to speak in literal tounges (different languages). Such as if you were in another country and someone was talking to in their language and suddenly God gave you the ability to speak in their language to relay a message to them about Christ. Again not saying I am right or wrong. I'm always learning too. :)

With that said maybe let someone else hear your recordings. Maybe they can translate it.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It was my understanding that one someone speaks in the divine tounges, its only legit if someone is around to hear it and translate it.

Tongues is mainly for private worship. Paul talks about how we shouldn't really do it in public places where it will be misunderstood especially among nonbelievers who don't have a clue what it is. It is also true that tongues can be interpreted but it is by the person who spoke the tongue not someone else.

1 Corinthians 14:5
I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

The interpretation of tongues is to be done by the one who spoke in tongues, just as 1 Corinthians 14:5 says.

Upvote 0

NothingIsImpossible

May 22, 2015
✟274,922.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ah I see. I forgot about that end of things. Some believe tounges of that nature still exists today. Other do not and think it was just for that time. I honestly can't say either way because I really don't know. I just know I've never had it happened and rarely have seen it.

Upvote 0

ImAllLikeOkWaitWat

Aug 18, 2015
✟328,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ah I see. I forgot about that end of things. Some believe tounges of that nature still exists today. Other do not and think it was just for that time. I honestly can't say either way because I really don't know. I just know I've never had it happened and rarely have seen it.

Well I pray that you learn to speak in tongues one day. It is very edifying. A few pointers to get you in the right direction is to remember, when you speak in tongues you are the one doing the speaking. God is forming the words that come out but you are the one pushing the air out of your mouth. Its a big myth in the church that god or the holy spirit just takes control of you and you start speaking uncontrollably. It just isn't the case. Another pointer is start small with a few syllables at a time. For practice say something like "ah" "le" "to" "so". Like someone learning a new language you have to start small and before you know it you are fluent in it. Here is also a video that will help you speak in tongues.

Good luck. Once you get the hang of it you may have doubts like wow am I really doing it. But overtime those doubts fade the more you do it. And you become an expert at it.

• Agree
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are at least six variations I know of.
1. Tongues at Babel were the foundation of more human languages. That means that to each speaker, each word meant something.
2. Tongues at Pentecost was understandable to at least one speaker of each of 13 languages, and yet sounded like drunken gibberish to many others. That makes it midway between the next two types.
3. Sometimes tongues today are a witness for a speaker of a unique language (like American indian or ancient Hebrew) to one particular attendee of the meeting that day.
4. Some tongues are drunken or otherwise emotional gibberish, or deliberate counterfeits. Sadly, this includes tongues on some youtube videos of certain churches I have seen.
5. Some tongues are a real gift of speaking heavenly languages given by God.
6. Some tongues are a counterfeit demonic gift.

Before you ask, my experience is that any true pastor can tell the difference between 4-5 and 6.

Upvote 0

h0mefry

Dec 25, 2016
San Diego
✟8,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I created an account just to comment on this. I myself have attempted to put the words I was speaking in tongues into google translate. This is just after I had learned to speak in tongues for the first time.

I kid you not, when I typed in the words that came to mind google spat out:

"My chains are broken"
"Some will fall away from the path" (I believe a reference to 1 Timothy 4:1)?
"Wind"
"Water"

Have I been able to recreate this since that first time? No. But if that isn't a sign from God I don't know what is. The odds of not just getting coherent sentences, but BIBLICAL coherent sentences, is too astronomically small for me to deny there is truth to speaking in tongues.

In case anyone is wondering, the language it translated to is called "Calabrese" , an old italian dialect with Greek roots. I do believe that when we speak in tongues we can sometimes be speaking in a real actual language, or a "heavenly" language inspired by utterances there are no words for, or things we can't comprehend. I often find it more fruitful to speak in a language that I understand during prayer/ worship, but tongues are reserved for those times in which I have no words or understanding of what I need from God and His spirit, but know that I just want His will to be done. They are also especially effective in spiritual warfare.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,917.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to the forums. Glad you posted this info - Thanks.

I'mAllOkWaitWhat, that's a very good video. Thanks.

Paul wrote "Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue." I Cor 14:19 YET THREE verses down he also wrote 22 "Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not:" Not advocating things not to be decent and in order but how can they be a sign if they're not spoken? Clearly, we emphasis v 19 while ignoring v 22.

Tongues are a sign To unbelievers Of believers. (I Cor 14:22 and Mark 16:17).

All tongues can be interpreted (I Cor 14:13).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I created an account just to comment on this. I myself have attempted to put the words I was speaking in tongues into google translate. This is just after I had learned to speak in tongues for the first time.

I kid you not, when I typed in the words that came to mind google spat out:

"My chains are broken"
"Some will fall away from the path" (I believe a reference to 1 Timothy 4:1)?
"Wind"
"Water"

Have I been able to recreate this since that first time? No. But if that isn't a sign from God I don't know what is. The odds of not just getting coherent sentences, but BIBLICAL coherent sentences, is too astronomically small for me to deny there is truth to speaking in tongues.

In case anyone is wondering, the language it translated to is called "Calabrese" , an old italian dialect with Greek roots. I do believe that when we speak in tongues we can sometimes be speaking in a real actual language, or a "heavenly" language inspired by utterances there are no words for, or things we can't comprehend. I often find it more fruitful to speak in a language that I understand during prayer/ worship, but tongues are reserved for those times in which I have no words or understanding of what I need from God and His spirit, but know that I just want His will to be done. They are also especially effective in spiritual warfare.
Please let us know if you or anyone can recreate this. Such an experiment would go viral, if there were some kind of proof. Of course, I am certain, it would also be instantly condemned by the cessationists as rigged.

And many thanks for developing a new method of scientific research into religion. May I have your permission to share this information through other websites? If you would be willing to provide me your contact info, even through private conversation, I would like to see that you receive credit for this idea, as it could even launch a new branch of science.

Reactions: BeStill&Know
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

h0mefry

Dec 25, 2016
San Diego
✟8,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please let us know if you or anyone can recreate this. Such an experiment would go viral, if there were some kind of proof. Of course, I am certain, it would also be instantly condemned by the cessationists as rigged.

And many thanks for developing a new method of scientific research into religion. May I have your permission to share this information through other websites? If you would be willing to provide me your contact info, even through private conversation, I would like to see that you receive credit for this idea, as it could even launch a new branch of science.

I don't know if I necessarily condone reducing this particular experience I had as "scientific research." I have tried to recreate this after that first time I started speaking in tongues and it hasn't worked for me since. Scripture says not to test God and I don't think it would be particularly fruitful to have people test this and be disappointed or have doubts about the tongues they are speaking if they don't get the same results that I did. Although I am definitely open to discussion regarding this, you can private message me if you have any questions and I am happy to hear your thoughts if you disagree with my viewpoint.

Upvote 0

h0mefry

Dec 25, 2016
San Diego
✟8,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know if I necessarily condone reducing this particular experience I had as "scientific research." I have tried to recreate this after that first time I started speaking in tongues and it hasn't worked for me since. Scripture says not to test God and I don't think it would be particularly fruitful to have people test this and be disappointed or have doubts about the tongues they are speaking if they don't get the same results that I did. Although I am definitely open to discussion regarding this, you can private message me if you have any questions and I am happy to hear your thoughts if you disagree with my viewpoint.
Or an open discussion on here, whichever you prefer:)

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would never suggest that. But I would suggest keeping a translator program running during prayer meetings.

After all, the ministry of miraculous healing was restored to the Body of Christ in the 1910-1920 period, and today we have medical marvels that started with the children of that generation. The buildup of faith has resulted in research that gave us verifiable science that has cured almost 100% of bacterial diseases, and now 70% or so of cancer.

Most charismatics have noticed that the gift of interpretation seems to be lacking. Perhaps God wants it to go this direction, and one of the reasons He has provided the Internet is to make it possible.

Scientifically, I can see where this would go the direction of the research into prophecy and miracles. The potential for miracles has long been proven, and yet is accepted by no scientist. It would at least produce worthwhile data to help us understand tongues as we now understand healing and miracles. The problem of abusing God's intentions is always present, of course, but there are many Christian researchers who are sensitive to this.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I say this only as a person who has run into a lot of things translated by Google Translate: it is a remarkable thing, but unless you know the target language well, trust nothing from Google Translate.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I say this only as a person who has run into a lot of things translated by Google Translate: it is a remarkable thing, but unless you know the target language well, trust nothing from Google Translate.
I agree with you. But, from the point of view of getting translations, this is not that much of a problem. A speaker of the language can always be consulted, if something is important. Google would at least target who to consult.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Chashka in Russian is "teacup" but in Polish it's "skull".

"Ya" is "yes" in German but "I" in many languages.

At the level of words...you're not even going to get a direction to go in. I'm just not sure how this will work in practice. Would be interested to hear more, though.

Upvote 0

Ken Behrens

Sep 5, 2016
Milford, Delaware, USA
Visit site
✟32,775.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Chashka in Russian is "teacup" but in Polish it's "skull".

"Ya" is "yes" in German but "I" in many languages.

At the level of words...you're not even going to get a direction to go in. I'm just not sure how this will work in practice. Would be interested to hear more, though.
I think this would be wonderful to discuss the plan. I would propose that unless at least two full sentences (or the entire tongues statement if it is shorter than two sentences) analyzes into a complete thought in a recognized language, that we have nothing worthy of note in this regard. Then I would have an independent panel of pastors, or other educated Christians from a broad background, determine if the translation is "something God would say or inspire someone to say". These will represent a certain percentage of all tongues utterances (perhaps 0, I don't know. We have not tried).

Next, I would consult linguists to determine how many sounds there are in human languages (I think I read it's 108, but I am no expert), how many words are in each language, how many are common, etc., and then I would use math (my specialty) to determine how many such paragraphs might occur at random.

As the data base grew, it would be a simple matter to determine if something is really happening with tongues and human language. In any event, we would have a three category sorting of all recorded tongues utterances: 1. Human language probably of God. 2. Human language probably not of God. 3. Babbling or unknown language. The relative numbers in each would definitely show us more about tongues than we now know.

Obviously, in the meantime, each prayer group can determine for themselves what they will or will not accept for each utterance that shows up in Google translate as a "possible".

Upvote 0