Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Okay as someone who has (successfully) used Catholic Match, Tim's reasons for creating this new means of meeting singles is incredibly valid. My experience on Catholic Match was frustrating, encountering a lot of women who claimed they were Catholic, but may not even affirm some of the core tenets of the faith (the site asks subscribers to describe where they stand on five or six major pillars - Abortion, Contraception, Eucharist, Papacy, Pre-Martial Sex, Immaculate Conception, etc. I can't remember any others; depending on the persons answers their profile says "Agrees with [All/Most/Some/None] of the Church's teachings", and is expanded on further down on their profile. This is typically used as a barometer for what kind of Catholic the person is, and users can filter out people based on their preferences, so you can set your searches to only show people who agree with all teachings, or just some or maybe none.

Since these issues form the core of what makes a Catholic a Catholic, and ostensibly any faithful Catholic looking for a spouse (I would think) obviously wants someone who is totally submitted to Church teaching, it just seemed nonsensical for "Catholics" who disagreed with any of these core teachings to even bother with CM. Why not just go to eHarmony, Match.com, OKCupid or one of the dozens of other secular sites.

Another issue that Gordon's site, designed in collaboration with his cousin Jillian apparently, is set to address is the issue of "sleazy Catholics". I think this is an issue that Catholic women face more than men, but women are out there trying to meet a husband and so many of the guys on the site present themselves as Catholic and then shortly after they meet and start spending time together, the mask starts slipping and the woman starts seeing all the ways this guy is morally compromised. Maybe he's pervy, skeevy, or morally relativistic and unprincipled.

So long story short, Gordon and his cousin started this site called "Saint Luke's Singles Society" for Catholics Gordon affectionately calls "Retrogrades" - possibly best described as faithful, traditional, based, and generally uncompromising on their faith and morals.

If this had come out a few years ago I would've ditched Catholic Match in a heartbeat for this kind of community, because these are going to be the kind of Catholics you want to me. Not nerdy or weird, but based and totally faithful to the Catholic Church.

For more about this site, check out his latest video: