✟95,271.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wiki:

77 years later in 1946, the term homosexual made its first appearance in the English Bible.

Recently, ESV 1 Corinthians 6:

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality.
perform homosexual acts,
ἀρσενοκοῖται (arsenokoitai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 733: A male engaging in same-gender sexual activity; a sodomite, pederast. From arrhen and koite; a sodomite.

BDAG ἀρσενοκοίτης:

G733 appears outside of the Bible in multiple places. BDAG people had looked into them.

The two components of G733 appear in the LXX.

cp. the formation of μητροκοίτης [μήτηρ + κοίτη] ‘one who has intercourse w. his mother’ Hipponax 15, 2 Diehl3 [=Degani 20, 2])
Similar word construction is used for having sex with one's mother. After analyzing these biblical and extra-biblical documents, BDAG concluded that G733 means

a male who engages in sexual activity w. a pers. of his own sex.
NIV translation is more precise:

Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men.
See also Homosexual acts are sinful?.

Last edited:

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
G733 appears outside of the Bible in multiple places.

A proper discussion of the meaning of this word should include quotes of these extra-biblical passages (along with a discussion of what these authors were talking about), since the word is rare in the NT. My Greek is only beginner-level, but I'll do my best to follow along.

Note that the discussion must be restricted to linguistics only. CF rules do not permit a discussion of the morality of homosexual relationships.

Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟95,271.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A proper discussion of the meaning of this word should include quotes of these extra-biblical passages (along with a discussion of what these authors were talking about), since the word is rare in the NT.
I have no access to these extra-biblical documents. I relied on the expertise of BDAG. After analyzing the biblical and extra-biblical documents, BDAG concluded that G733 means

a male who engages in sexual activity w. a pers. of his own sex.

Upvote 0