• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

Texas Power Crisis

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟169,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Is this, in all seriousness, meant to be a retort?

1) Please show how many died?
2021 Texas power crisis - Wikipedia.
246 perscribed directly to the event.
706 EXCESS deaths during that time frame.
2021 was at the height of the COVID pandemic though, one would have to at least consider that for excess deaths.

Reactions: rambot
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Is this, in all seriousness, meant to be a retort?

1) Please show how many died?
2021 Texas power crisis - Wikipedia.
246 perscribed directly to the event.
706 EXCESS deaths during that time frame.

LOL! Really? You'll have to do better than that. Even from a Liberal biased media bias source, this source has less credibility than the the yellow journalism of the NYT.

Deaths246[3] to 702 (estimate)[4]

Peter Aldhous, Stephanie M. Lee and Zahra Hirji (May 26, 2021). "The Texas Winter Storm And Power Outages Killed Hundreds More People Than The State Says". Buzzfeed News. Archived from the original on July 18, 2021. Retrieved July 19, 2021.​

LEFT-CENTER BIAS​

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
  • Overall, we rate Buzzfeed strongly Left-Center Biased due to story selection that tends to favor the left and Mixed for factual reporting based on poor sourcing and a few failed fact checks.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟383,571.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
LOL! Really? You'll have to do better than that. Even from a Liberal biased media bias source, this source has less credibility than the the yellow journalism of the NYT.

Peter Aldhous, Stephanie M. Lee and Zahra Hirji (May 26, 2021). "The Texas Winter Storm And Power Outages Killed Hundreds More People Than The State Says". Buzzfeed News. Archived from the original on July 18, 2021. Retrieved July 19, 2021.​

LEFT-CENTER BIAS​

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
  • Overall, we rate Buzzfeed strongly Left-Center Biased due to story selection that tends to favor the left and Mixed for factual reporting based on poor sourcing and a few failed fact checks.
A tale of two replies.

1) A poster uses logic and context to critique the use of a particular state. I happily concede as the point is valid. I like thinkers and I appreciate it when folks help me understand context.
2) A poster points out a "bias" source without ever addressing the problem with the data itself. I couldn't care less about bias since EVERY source has a bias and so then, dismissing something SOLELY because of bias is just lazy.

So the number from Texas deaths stands at 246. Again, how many dead in Maine?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Good point.
246 was the official toll anyways....
Could that have anything to do with the fact that everything was covered over in ice; and most Texans don't know how to drive in snow; let alone on ice?

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
A tale of two replies.

1) A poster uses logic and context to critique the use of a particular state. I happily concede as the point is valid. I like thinkers and I appreciate it when folks help me understand context.
2) A poster points out a "bias" source without ever addressing the problem with the data itself. I couldn't care less about bias since EVERY source has a bias and so then, dismissing something SOLELY because of bias is just lazy.

So the number from Texas deaths stands at 246. Again, how many dead in Maine?
I find your accusation of laziness to be amusing, considering that in the same post you're asking me to do your research for you.

That said, which shall I choose, the official report, or the propaganda from a Left-Wing hackery source?

...decisions...decisions...

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟349,615.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Could that have anything to do with the fact that everything was covered over in ice; and most Texans don't know how to drive in snow; let alone on ice?

No, everything was closed -- there was nowhere for people to go. This generally includes gas stations, since they had no power, so even if you wanted to go somewhere (such as leaving the state), you likely didn't have gasoline to get there. From what I recall, accidents (to include fatal accidents) were down over that period compared to those same days in other years because so few people were going out.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟383,571.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's my favourite when you grasp at straws without actually researching to answer your own question. It's something you do often and it tickles me every time.
Texas puts final estimate of winter storm death toll at 246
I'm sure you won't bother to read it. It's 10%
Some other silly excuse next?

I'm not sure why you're trying to defend Texas here. It's pretty well known that their leadership has been insufficient in dealing with this issue for some time.
I find your accusation of laziness to be amusing, considering that in the same post you're asking me to do your research for you.
Well, I'm not actually. I'm, yet again, pondering about whether this is yet another example in a loooong line of "false equivalencies". But I'm sure the storm in Maine WAS just as bad as the Texas outage and I'm sure you'll have something to indicate as such!

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟293,286.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Very little.

Texas DHS: "Hazardous road conditions during the storm gave rise to many motor vehicle accidents resulting in 22 (8.9%) fatalities. "

Given there were just under 4500 road fatalities in Texas in each of 2021 and 2022, then you'd expect a period of 20 days to result in approximately 245 road fatalities.

According to Texas DoT February 2021 saw 243 fatal crashes and 271 fatalities on Texan roads. That means February had the lowest number of both crashes and fatalities for the year (August was the worst month, at 378 crashes with 418 fatalities).

I suggest that because everything was covered in snow and ice, most Texans didn't do much driving. Thus, there were likely LESS motor vehicle fatalities than normal.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟383,571.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Very little.

Texas DHS: "Hazardous road conditions during the storm gave rise to many motor vehicle accidents resulting in 22 (8.9%) fatalities. "

Given there were just under 4500 road fatalities in Texas in each of 2021 and 2022, then you'd expect a period of 20 days to result in approximately 245 road fatalities.

According to Texas DoT February 2021 saw 243 fatal crashes and 271 fatalities on Texan roads. That means February had the lowest number of both crashes and fatalities for the year (August was the worst month, at 378 crashes with 418 fatalities).

I suggest that because everything was covered in snow and ice, most Texans didn't do much driving. Thus, there were likely LESS motor vehicle fatalities than normal.
That's a LOT of words, a LOT of citations and a LOT of reason.

Thank you!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟228,126.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

LEFT-CENTER BIAS​

Rather than focus on their "left-center bias" I would have pointed to the "mixed factual reporting" and "medium credibility" if I wanted to discredit the source....although that would have no bearing on the actual truth or lack of for that particular article.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
That's an interesting suggestion. As some who is skilled at driving in snow and ice, I went driving that day. The accidents that I witnessed abounded. I heard sirens throughout the day. However this is just anecdotal evidence. Maybe the Bermuda Triangle just happened to shift for that day to follow me.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No, everything was closed
Not everything.
there was nowhere for people to go.
I had somewhere to go.
his generally includes gas stations, since they had no power, so even if you wanted to go somewhere (such as leaving the state), you likely didn't have gasoline to get there.
I had gas.
From what I recall, accidents (to include fatal accidents) were down over that period compared to those same days in other years because so few people were going out.
That's not my recollection.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Rather than focus on their "left-center bias" I would have pointed to the "mixed factual reporting" and "medium credibility" if I wanted to discredit the source....although that would have no bearing on the actual truth or lack of for that particular article.
I pointed out both. Both have bearing on the credibility; especially in light that the article flies in the face of the official report.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I'm not actually. I'm, yet again, pondering about whether this is yet another example in a loooong line of "false equivalencies". But I'm sure the storm in Maine WAS just as bad as the Texas outage and I'm sure you'll have something to indicate as such!
I haven't heard of any problems that resulted in rationing electricity since. If you want to dig deep into the minutia of the facts that I presented almost 3 years ago in this necro-thread; have at it; but don't ask me to do your homework for you.

This event is history.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟169,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
  • Optimistic
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,265,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟169,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0