Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The discussion should center around the OP not other pros and cons of the man's life.

And herein lies another problem.

A person, even the OP of this thread, digs up support of Charles Finney.

Me, I supply actual teachings of the man which counter the OP's statements.

The OP (opening poster) brings up a subject, then wants to delare that facts on the man are irrealivent as they do not address the opening post. You can discuss the youtube video, but don't bring into this discussion the actual teachings of Finney.

Yea...right.

This poster (me) has read and studied Charles Finney's "Lectures on Systematic Theology" and have it in print, yet according to the OP, I don't know squat on the subject.

I posted facts from the man's own studies, now you judge for yourself.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Lets see here, Phil Johnson wrote concerning Charles G. Finney:

A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing, Phil Johnson, Copyright 1998-99

Source

Form Finney's own "Memoirs" it shows:

Out of Finney's own mouth, he admits he was no theologian and according to this source Finney did not even have an education from any seminary school.

Finney never attended college,

Source

His work, Lectures on Revivals of Religion was reviewed by Professor Albert Baldwin Dod, of Princeton Theological Seminary the cornerstone of Presbyterian faith and decalred "theologically unsound" in 1835.

Charles G. Finney and the spirit of American Evangelicalism. Charles E. Hambrick-Stowe. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing, 1996

His own denominations premier Seminary: Princeton Theological Seminary would not accept and condemned Finney's own teaching.

Now, these are facts, and they are indisputable.

I have said nothing but the truth.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nobdysfool

The original! Accept no substitutes!
Feb 23, 2003
Home, except when I'm not....
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Brother, there is much in what you said here that applies to myself as well. I appreciate your thoughtful, honest, and humble reply. We can all get carried away by the moment, and say things we later wish we hadn't said in that way, or at all. Many of us are passionate about what we believe, which properly directed, can be a truly wonderful zeal for the Lord, and for His Truth. We all are learning how to harness that zeal (or should be).

No offense taken, and I hope none given. God bless you!

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

No offense meant arch, but that sounds an awful lot like "the end justifies the means". Paul put it a different way, asking "Shall we sin more that Grace may abound?"

Just some food for thought....

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I was proven wrong and I am publically admitting it here.

Neal has proven to me that I misquoted Spurgeon.

It was not Spurgeon who wrote "A Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" but it was Phil Johnson.

My apologies for the mistake, and thank you Neal for pointing that out to me.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: student ad x
Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No offense meant arch, but that sounds an awful lot like "the end justifies the means". Paul put it a different way, asking "Shall we sin more that Grace may abound?"

Just some food for thought....

Well, I see it this way. God has done wonderful things through Calvinists, through Arminians, through Orthodox, through Catholics, and others. I recall a staunch Catholic friend told me that he ran into a lot of red tape about something, then he went down to St. Vincent de Paul's cathedral here in town and prayed to St. Joseph. THEN, he said, everything cleared up, THAT DAY, he got his passport and was good to go, after he prayed to St. Joseph. Now, he asked me, 'My Protestant friends would say I prayed to a demon. what do you say?' My response? 'I believe God looked at the sincerity of your prayer and of your heart, and accepted your faith, regardless of the issue about St. Joseph.'

That is my stance on these things.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Accusations have been raised against me, but I shall now show from Charles Finney's own teachings that the man teaches falsely.

Concerning "justification by faith":

Charles Finney, Systematic Theology, 1851, Lecture 56, Justification

Source

He even goes further to say in the very same section:

It is not founded in Christ's literally suffering the exact penalty of the law for them, and in this sense literally purchasing their justification and eternal salvation.

Subsection: IV. Foundation of the justification of penitent believers in Christ. That is, what is the ultimate ground or reason of their justification.

Ibid

He even goes further to deny the teachings of the very church, the very demonination that licensed him:

Ibid

Concerning "justfication", Finney based all he believed on the basis of the believers own obedience and that God will not truly and finally pardon the sinner until after a lifetime of faithful obedience:

Ibid

Charles G. Finney denies that Christ's righteousness is imputed to us.

In an earlier post, I said:

From Finney's own Systematic Theology, we read:

Charles Finney, Systematic Theology, Lecture 34, Atonement

Source

Charles Finney comes right out in the very next section and plainly states:

Charles Finney, Systematic Theology, Lecture 35, Extent of Atonement

Source

Earlier on, I said:

In support of this I quote:

Charles Finney, Systematic Theology, Lecture 42, Regeneration

Source

He also said regarding "regeneration":

Charles Finney, Systematic Theology, Lecture 43, Regeneration

Source

Earlier on in this discourse, Finney even goes so far as to teach that men are able to regenerate each other:

It also contradicts the Bible representation, that men regenerate each other. "For though ye have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet have ye not many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel."--1 Cor. iv. 15.

Charles Finney, Systematic Theology, Lecture 43, Regeneration

Source

At times Finney attributes regeneration to:

That this change is effected through the truth presented by the Holy Spirit, or by a Divine moral persuasion.

But turns right around and says:

Ibid

In this view, sinners are able to "regenerate" themselves.

In his review of Finney's "Systematic Theology" concerning the ability of sinners to "regenerate themselves, Albert Dod says:

Source

The definition of "heretic" is:

- Source: A Biblical Guide To Orthodoxy And Heresy, Christian Research Journal, Summer 1990, by Robert M. Bowman.

It is also said:

Source

And Charles Grandison Finney denies the atonement of Christ on the cross as shown above. (the atonement, of itself, does not secure the salvation of any one)

Technically, this makes him a what?

And this is supposed to be a minister who had "a passion to see mankind saved"?

So...who is telling the truth about Charles Grandison Finney?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,629.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Dean. We shall await the "yeah, but"s now.

There will be some who despite the evidence presented will still defend him because he isn't Calvin. Kudos to those who don't.

And for the record, there are a lot of Calvinists who don't agree with all of Calvin. For me, Calvinism is just a term used to describe Reformed Theology. It's a lot easier to type, as well. Plus, it is generally more recognizable. Personally, I have read very little Calvin.

Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0
B

Benefactor

Benefactor

Finney a man with a passion to see mankind saved.

The call to salvation is an appeal and Finney was among the great soul winners of his day, with a heart and passion kin to that of Paul the apostle. These three Utube videos are in defense of Finney against sloppy so called scholarship, miss quotes and miss representation of this Godly man.

Finney Part 1: YouTube - Charles Finney and Decisional Regeneration part 1

Finney Part 2: YouTube - Charles Finney and Decisional Regeneration part 2

Finney Part 3: YouTube - Charles Finney and Decisional Regeneration part 3

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let’s get this thread back on track dealing with the content of the three part U-tubes. Here, too, more concerning Finney that will help in understanding this Godly Champion for Christ. This godly man had a deep abiding compassion to bring sinners to Christ, and to God’s glory. Let us join with the eternal host is giving God glory for his marvelous ways. He takes mere men and brings salvation to others. Finney pointed men and women and boys and girls to Christ out of his deep love for our Lord.

Glossary Of Terms

A Jazz twist to a great hymn enjoy
http://rosemck1.tripod.com/just-a-closer-walk-jazzy.mid

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

So, who is telling the truth about Charles Finney?

This person, or his own Systematic Theology?

"For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned." -Mt. 12:37 (KJV)

So once again, I ask, prove that Charles Grandison Finney did not deny that Christ's atonement did not provide salvation for anyone.

And we are to believe that Finney was:

...a heart and passion kin to that of Paul the apostle...godly man had a deep abiding compassion to bring sinners to Christ, and to God’s glory.

Strange that a person could deny that Christ could atone for mans sins and still be upheld as what is quoted above.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

nobdysfool

Feb 23, 2003
✟21,146.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Sorry, the information DeaconDean posted was thorough, comprehensive, and accurate. Defending Finney is equivalent to adopting the failed and flawed human philosophy of " The end justifies the means". Looking to supposed "results" as a proof of someone's godliness is backwards. It's putting the cart before the horse.

Even if many were saved as a result of his work, they were saved in spite of his teaching, not because of it. His theology was deficient in certain key areas, as DD showed. It is no light thing to deny Substitutionary Atonement.

Let's see some actual comments about his theology, rather than this emotional hero-worship. Deal with what DeaconDean posted, quotes from Finney himself where he denies the teachings of scripture.

Reactions: DeaconDean
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Thank you for the kind words brother.

I deal in facts as shown above.

Charles G. Finney taugth a form of Pelagianism.

And to back that up,

Source

Charles Finney devotes four chapters to "Moral Depravity" speaking and teaching against "Original Sin". He devotes five chapters speaking and teaching his doctrine on "Free Will".

To be quite specific, Charles G. Finney said, and I quote:

Charles G. Finney, Systematic Theology, Lecture 34, Atonement

Source

In other words, Christ's life and death on the cross, could not atone for one sin, but it did fulfill the needs of the "public justice", and by living and dying in such a manner, Christ provided the highest possible example and motivation for us to follow.

And this is a theologian you hold up in high esteem? This is a godly man who had a passion to see mankind saved?

Yea...right.

And, if you will notice, I only used one (1) outside reference and that was the actual words used by the author himself who reviewed and condemned Finney's "On Revivals of Religion: Review of Charles G. Finney - Part II by Albert Dod".

The rest, came from Finney himself.

All of what I posted are facts, and they are varifiable, and they are straight from the horses mouth.

All I ask is that you prove them wrong.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0

Myxlplyx

Sep 16, 2009
✟7,626.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"the atonement, of itself, does not secure the salvation of any one"

Umm, pardon me, but does God not reckon righteousness to those who have believed on the Name of the only begotten of the Father?

Would that not make the above statement true?

Jesus died for all men, but all men do not believe..

Reactions: Oye11
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Umm, pardon me, but does God not reckon righteousness to those who have believed on the Name of the only begotten of the Father?

Would that not make the above statement true?

Let me answer the last question first. No.

And in answering the last question first, it lays the ground for the first question.

Righteousness is reckoned to the believer by God the Father by what standard?

Faith.

As I stated in another thread:

Arthur W. Pink, The Doctrine of Justification, Chapter 8, Its Instrument, book on-line, accessed 5/28/09, found on the World Wide Web at: 8. Its Instruments

Faith justifies only as an instrument which God has appointed to the apprehension and application of Christ’s righteousness. When we say faith is the instrument of our justification, understand that it is not meant that faith is the instrument whereby God justifies us, by no means, rather, we mean that faith is the instrument whereby we receive Jesus Christ. Christ has merited righteousness for us, and faith in Christ is what renders it right in God’s sight that the purchased blessing is assigned. Faith unites us to Christ. Having been made one with Christ in spirit, God now considers us as one with Him in the Law.

We are justified by faith, not for faith, not for what faith is, rather, because of what faith receives.

Now I'll readily admit that this paper I wrote addresses "justification", but by the same token, the same Greek word for "justify" can also be interperted as "righteous".

I also pointed out:

[2] They knew morally as opposed to spiritually.

[3] Str.-B. II, 247 f.

[4] The "par ekeinon" B L Or, better than "mulla par" D and h gar ekeinoV. is to be taken in an absolutelt exclusively sense, cf. 4 Esr. 12:6: prae multis (p. 213). Hence it has nothing whatever to do with the comp. or superl. use of "dikaioV", nor with an expression like 1 Bas. 24:18: "dikaioV su uper eme" "thou art more righteous than I"

[5] Rabb. par. in Schl. Mt., 412

The Meaning of “dikiaow”

Our Greek word has its root in the Greek word “dikh”. This word means “right”, “justice”; in the NT, judicial punishment, vengeance; 2 Thes. 1:9; Jude 7; sentence of punishment, judgment, Acts 25:15; personified, the goddess of justice or vengeance, Nemesis, Paena, Acts 28:4.

This word draws directly from the Hebrew word “tsadag” (tsaw-dak). Which is rendered in the OT as “justify”, “righteous”, “just”, “justice”, “cleansed”, “cleanse ourselves”, “righteousness”.

Jesus died for all men, but all men do not believe..

While it is true that not all men will believe, the provision for eternal life is there. It has been provided through Jesus Christ.

Lets look at the word Atone for a moment.

The Greek Lexicon list as a defintion for atone:

1. adjustment of a difference, reconciliation, restoration to favour
    1. in the NT of the restoration of the favour of God to sinners that repent and put their trust in the expiatory death of Christ

Source

Paul tells us very plainly:

"And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement." -Rom. 5:11 (KJV)

What Charles Finney has said in: "the atonement, of itself, does not secure the salvation of any one" is that Christ's death on the cross, was not sufficent to reconcile us to God, to secure atonement and salvation.

In a way, Finney has said that everything the Writer of Hebrews said in Heb. 7:26-28; 9:18-22, 28; 10:4-14; is all a lie.

In John 1:29, John the Baptist says:

"Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world."

In the Greek, John says as he sees Jesus: Behold the Lamb of God which is even now, bearing, taking upon Himself, carrying away, the sin of the world.

The Greek word used here: "airwn " is: "Participle Present Active Nominative Singular Masculine "

Charles Spurgeon said:

The Sin Bearer, C.H. Spurgeon

Christ did atone for our sins, and He did, by doing so, secure our salvation.

Here are simple Biblical facts concerning Christ's death and atonement:

1. Christ died to deliver believers from this evil age, as God had willed: Galatians 1:4
2. Christ died to redeem and purify believers: Titus 2:14.
3. Christ died to sanctify and cleanse the church: Ephesians 5:25-27.
4. Christ died to actually remove God's wrath: Romans 3:25.
5. Christ's death doesn't make it possible for us to be reconciled to God, but actually does reconcile us to God: Romans 5:10.
6. Christ actually obtained eternal redemption by His death: Hebrews 9:12.
7. Christ's death actually secured redemption: Ephesians 1:7.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
To my awareness, most Christians understand the Bible to teach that Christ paid the price for all the sins of the entire world, of everyone who ever lived, but the provision must be accepted by the believer in order to be effective. That is, no one is automatically saved as a result of Christ's death on the cross. His death must be applied to the individual in order for there to be an atonement, see for example Leviticus ch. 1 thru 6. In the NT, Paul speaks of being saved by God's grace, but also points out that salvation is received by the individual through the exercise of faith. IOW, once again, no one is automatically saved.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Who, including me, in this thread, said they were?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
While I don't know scratch about Charles Finney's theology, other than snippets I have read here (I didn't look at the videos) I am simply pointing out that Christ's death on the cross does not automatically save one soul. The provision is made, but it must be accepted by faith to be applied to the individual. I do believe in forensic justification, and I also believe that there was only one Sinless being on this earth, Jesus Christ. We are saved through the imputed righteousness of Christ. Those points are clearly made in the book of Romans. I cannot believe that Finney, as an evangelis, would not agree with that, it is plainly stated in Scripture, it is so basic, there must be a misunderstanding somewhere.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I don't know scratch about Charles Finney's theology, other than snippets I have read here (I didn't look at the videos) I am simply pointing out that Christ's death on the cross does not automatically save one soul.

Again, please show me where I or anybody else said that people were "automatically saved".

Christ's death on the cross, the shedding of His precious blood, was enough to atone for ours sins, it was enough to secure redemption.

If Christ's death was not sufficent to "secure the salvation of any one", then perhaps you might be so nice as to tell me what does?

Piety?

Strict obedience to the Law?

Sacrificing?

Asceticism?

If we don't "have redemption through his blood," (cf. Eph. 1:7) then what do we have redemption through?

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

archierieus

Craftsman
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Petaluma, Califiornia
Visit site
✟55,139.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
[/u][/b]

If Christ's death was not sufficent to "secure the salvation of any one", then perhaps you might be so nice as to tell me what does?

Those, of course, were not my words, I assume you are quoting from Finney??? If so, then I would want to start by looking at whatever article or treatise it is quoted from. Secondly, I would want to understand what the author meant by 'secure.' It was written, apparently, in the mid 1800's, and word meanings have morphed a bit since then. Honestly, I don't feel like I have a dog in the fight, I am curious, but not willing to invest the time to research the docs. I just am interested in fairplay here.

Upvote 0