'Stand Your Ground' Trial in Florida Ends With Manslaughter Verdict

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic

They need to scrap or change these dumb laws, when someone starts a confrontation and then kills someone with a gun, they need to be held accountable.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,322.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

They need to scrap or change these dumb laws, when someone starts a confrontation and then kills someone with a gun, they need to be held accountable.

The factor is "starts a confrontation."

The defense attempted to separate "starts a confrontation" away from the moment the confrontation turned into a serious life/death issue. That strategy has worked successfully before in Florida.

When the defendant was knocked to the ground, it really became a life/death issue for him. Had he not started the incident in the first place, this would not have even gone to trial.

I was taught long ago, "When you're carrying a gun, any argument can turn into a gunfight." That ought to seriously reduce the number of arguments a someone carrying a gun should get himself involved with.

This guy was clearly seeking confrontations, and he finally found one that led to a gunfight.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I certainly don't see the justification for shooting a man dead, over a parking spot, and the other guy is unarmed. Sounds like manslaughter is getting off easy.

I've never liked gun control but guns make lethal violence too easy.

Reactions: JackRT
Upvote 0