Did Shepherds Really Break a Lamb's Leg on Purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Last month I referred to a practice I had seen referenced in several commentaries concerning shepherds breaking the legs of their sheep in order to keep them from wandering off.

When I was challenged to prove that this practice actually takes place, I spent a good deal of time looking for evidence of such on the internet. While I found many references to such a practice none of these appeared to be from sheepherders. (or appeared to be credible)

So, I send a letter to Sheep Magizine. ( http://www.sheepmagazine.com/ )

This is their reply:

Hello John,

You asked in an August 2, 2006 message to Sheep Magazine if it was true whether shepherds sometimes break a lamb's leg to prevent it from wandering off.

It is not true that any shepherds break a lamb's leg on purpose.

What they sometimes do in certain sheep-raising nations is to "brake" a leg. This means they attach a clog or weight to the animal's leg, which keeps certain "rogue" sheep from getting too far from the shepherd until they learn their names, and not to be afraid of the shepherd.

Rogue sheep are those that won't stay with the flock--important to their safety. A single sheep that constantly moves out and away from the others is the certain target of predators, and often is at risk of wandering out of sight (over a hill, into the brush, etc.) in terrain where the shepherd is unable to count the sheep properly. Then the sheep would be surely lost.

Each shepherd looks after from about 1200 to 3000 sheep. When they're constantly moving, such large numbers are impossible to count with precision.

To keep track of such large numbers of sheep, they must be corralled, and then "passed under the rod," which means the shepherd has them in a narrow chute that enables each sheep to be counted one by one, and even marked with paint, charcoal, etc., for further work if necessary.

The leg brake is a temporary measure; a lamb with a braked leg (it's not a "broken" leg!) is still easy pickings for predators at night, because it can't run as fast as the flock when under attack, and shepherd usually can't see predators in the dark.

Yours,
Nathan Griffith, editor
Sheep! Magazine

I have to yield to the authority on such things.

So the truth is this:

Good Shepherds do not “break” the leg of a rogue sheep.

They do however “brake” the leg of a rogue sheep in order to keep it from wandering off.

John O.

probinson

Legend
Aug 16, 2005
PA
Visit site
✟135,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
First of all let me say that I'm amazed that there's actually a publication called "Sheep Magazine".

lolflag.gif

Secondly, thank you for this John. Hopefully, this will put to bed any debate as to whether or not a "good shepherd" would intentionally "break" a sheep's leg.

:wave:

Upvote 0

Tamara224

Jan 13, 2006
Wyoming
✟40,734.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
jeolmstead said:
Last month I referred to a practice I had seen referenced in several commentaries concerning shepherds breaking the legs of their sheep in order to keep them from wandering off.

When I was challenged to prove that this practice actually takes place, I spent a good deal of time looking for evidence of such on the internet. While I found many references to such a practice none of these appeared to be from sheepherders. (or appeared to be credible)

So, I send a letter to Sheep Magizine.

This is their reply:

Hello John,

You asked in an August 2, 2006 message to Sheep Magazine if it was true whether shepherds sometimes break a lamb's leg to prevent it from wandering off.

What they sometimes do in certain sheep-raising nations is to "brake" a leg. This means they attach a clog or weight to the animal's leg, which keeps certain "rogue" sheep from getting too far from the shepherd until they learn their names, and not to be afraid of the shepherd.

Rogue sheep are those that won't stay with the flock--important to their safety. A single sheep that constantly moves out and away from the others is the certain target of predators, and often is at risk of wandering out of sight (over a hill, into the brush, etc.) in terrain where the shepherd is unable to count the sheep properly. Then the sheep would be surely lost.

Each shepherd looks after from about 1200 to 3000 sheep. When they're constantly moving, such large numbers are impossible to count with precision.

To keep track of such large numbers of sheep, they must be corralled, and then "passed under the rod," which means the shepherd has them in a narrow chute that enables each sheep to be counted one by one, and even marked with paint, charcoal, etc., for further work if necessary.

The leg brake is a temporary measure; a lamb with a braked leg (it's not a "broken" leg!) is still easy pickings for predators at night, because it can't run as fast as the flock when under attack, and shepherd usually can't see predators in the dark.

Yours,
Nathan Griffith, editor
Sheep! Magazine

So the truth is this:

They do however “brake” the leg of a rogue sheep in order to keep it from wandering off.

John O.

Awesome! Thanks John... Wow, now that's integrity!

God Bless You!

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I actually like the illustration of “braking” the leg better…. (as opposed to breaking)

I like the part about the shepherd keeping us close until we learn our name……

….There is a sermon in there somewhere…..

John O.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
God will not kill (break) me unless it is MY TIME. However, God will "disable" (brake) me for any purpose. The care of a shepherd over his flock is referred to as illustrating God's care over his people (Ps. 23:1, 2; 74:1; 77:20; Isa. 40:11; 53:6; John 10:1-5, 7-16). The shepherd would lead his flock to pasture and water; tend to their wounds; guide them; calm them; keep them together; and, rescue them from pitfalls and briar patches. He was the sole provider of all that the flock needed. Sheep are single minded, skittish, near-sighted, critters. We sometimes suffer because it is God’s discipline. “For those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son He receives.” (Heb. 12:6). Suffering requires the right response if it is to be successful in accomplishing God’s purposes. “We all want the product, character; but we don’t want the process, suffering.” Because of our make up as human beings, we can’t have one without the other.

John 10:11 "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."

Here's a good article about a disabled child and the illustration of Shepherd/Sheep relationship. A Father's Eyes

Upvote 0

Diatheke

Veteran
Aug 2, 2006
Nebraska
Visit site
✟9,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Awesome and informative post.

Sheep are strange animals to be sure - a friend of mine has show sheep right next to his house on a beautiful little piece of land - little rolling green hills with a natural stream meandering through the middle and some nice trees for shade - pretty much everything a sheep could ever ask for but the property adjoins a highway which the sheep are shielded from by a fence -
a few times the fence has been damaged and one stupid sheep will wander through the fence and out onto the highway and the rest of the herd will follow along and now they all just stand there in the highway in danger with no food, water or protection and they will stay there until my friend goes out and leads them back where their supposed to be.
It really helped show me why the Good Shepherd refers to us as His sheep.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
sreno7 said:
Interesting cause I was just listening to David Jeremiah on the radio yesterday and he talked about how a shepherd will break a sheep's leg.

Yes but in a different perspective between God and Christians than Man and Animal.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
sreno7 said:
Interesting cause I was just listening to David Jeremiah on the radio yesterday and he talked about how a shepherd will break a sheep's leg.

I really looked into this,

I found lots of preachers and commentators who use this as an illustration, but, I could not find any reference to it from any source on shepherds and raising sheep. (currently or historically)

I guess it is possible that the term “brake” has been misunderstood to mean “break”

In any event, personally I have no problem with the concept either way.

I think that God could “break” my leg in order to “brake” my behavior. But, it’s not fair to say shepherds “break” the legs of their sheep if one can’t produce an actual example of the practice.

John O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
jeolmstead said:

This is their reply:

Hello John,

Yours,
Nathan Griffith, editor
Sheep! Magazine

So the truth is this:

John O.

Great information - I was feeling so sorry for the poor sheep - different things have different meanings - big difference in brake and break - this was useful information, thanks for going to all the trouble.

Upvote 0

youthwalk

Kimpa Vita
Dec 7, 2005
Visit site
✟47,713.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
jeolmstead said:

This is their reply:

Hello John,

Yours,
Nathan Griffith, editor
Sheep! Magazine

So the truth is this:

John O.

Wonderful post.

God's the Good Shepherd. He's good and nothing can change that. :amen:

Upvote 0

BenAdam

Pirate King
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2006
Tortuga
✟51,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
probinson said:
First of all let me say that I'm amazed that there's actually a publication called "Sheep Magazine".

lolflag.gif

Secondly, thank you for this John. Hopefully, this will put to bed any debate as to whether or not a "good shepherd" would intentionally "break" a sheep's leg.

:wave:
John, to quote Pete, I am amazed there is a Sheep Magazine....

Second, that evil shepherd to put such a horrible thing on a sheep like that...

Reactions: youthwalk
Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2006
✟9,707.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
jeolmstead said:

That's a lie from the pit of hell.

Unfortunately, it has caused so much damage in the body of Christ. So many Christians believe today that God literally breaks their legs in accidents or gives them diseases to train them up in "love".

Man the idea itself --breaking the lamb's leg -- is stupidly, ridiculous. Ask any good shepherd in Israel that and he'll think you're joking.

But the braking thing is interesting. Thanks for posting. Whether God does that, I do not think so.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
jeolmstead said:

This is their reply:

Hello John,

Yours,
Nathan Griffith, editor
Sheep! Magazine

So the truth is this:

John O.

Thank you so much John for following up with this info. I have heard the story of the "leg breaking" for years but never quite understood. Even more so when reading the Old Testiment God is very clear of His thoughts on cruelty to animals. Even in killing them, He gave instructions on how to kill the animal without the animal suffering and being in fear. "Brake" makes so much more sense.

I think the response you received also puts a new light on the term "rod". I hear many people using the scripture, "they that spare the rod spoil the child", and to many that seems to mean "to hit". Or the more acceptable term "spank". I personally am not so sure of that.

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2006
✟9,707.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
I wonder if the Israelite shepherds practised braking the lambs legs. I know the writer says that it is practised in some sheep raring nations.

Also, I do not think God brakes our legs to prevent us "rogue" ones from breaking away and until we can learn our names and not fear the shepherd. Yes, we are sheep but not sheep sheep as in animals.

I think of the story of the prodigal son and I don't see God's heart as one of braking His children's leg, no matter how prodigal they are. The father simply gave the son his share of the inheritance and let him go. He didn't put some "weight" on him to slow him down or anything like that.

In fact, if there is anything that weighs the believer down and controls his outward behaviour but not transform his heart, it is the heavy yoke of the law which no one can bear.

Also, doesn't the author of hebrews say, "Let us throw off every weight and the sin [in the context, the sin of unbelief] that so easily entangles and let us run with perserverance..." (Heb 12:1)

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thank you DiscipleWhomJesusLoves.

No breaking and no braking. :thumbsup:

I know that when God shows me new things, reveals more of Himself and His ways, it causes me to grow through joy, freedom, delight - lightness in my inner being, not weight and darkness.

So much I keep hearing God send trials, God sends trials, God sends trials...

I know it isn't true, because of the way He's begun to shown me He works in my life, yet when horrible things happen it's hard to keep standing on the truth, because I believed for years, both before I came to Christ and after, that He would "hurt me for my own good."

I recognise the pain I am going through now as the enemy trying to steal from me what God has done, to destroy my life, and ultimately to kill me.

That's NOT God's work! He is my Deliverer, He is lifting the burden, He is taking the pain upon Himself.
He doesn't give me heaviness - He is Light, He doesn't give me the darkness and confusion - He pours Light and clarity into my situation.

A good shepherd may have to resort to strange means to nurture his sheep, but our Shepherd is the Best Shepherd, and He always leads with kindness - if anyone doubts that - LOOK!

1 Cor. 13:

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Gal. 5:

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

God is LOVE. He fits the above descriptions perfectly, and that is how He works, always.

I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does mt help come from? My help comes from the LORD...
:prayer:

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
jeolmstead said:
Yours,
Nathan Griffith, editor
Sheep! Magazine

So the truth is this:

John O.

Good job !!:thumbsup:

Yes , you uncovered yet another example of how "pastors" are trusted to such an extent that they are believed no matter what they say . They say that they have a "word" for the day and have a sermon surrounding a lie that they themselves refused to research . Why would they ? It backs up the fear doctrine that they attempt to push .

I have heard a few sermons on this that the people claimed to be from the Lord . Yet , people will continue to put their trust in those with that position . Yes , "come to church to hear the *word*" ... I hear that all of the time .:bow: :preach:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.