Really need help with basic doctrine that includes salvation..

Status
Not open for further replies.

NathanStinson

Changing the World, One story at a time
ok, I am in this Bible study with two Church of Christ members, one a younger youth is my friend and his pastor.

we went through part of this series called open bible study. he started out by asking me questions about me getting saved and if I was baptised for salvation or because it was commanded and such.

I would greatly appreciate it if any of you could offer some insight. Like more scriputres, if the scripture is out of context, the question is too vague, point me in a good direction to a good link, etc. just anything for help. 

Also please pray for me that I can (as it is said in John 8:32) Know the truth and it can set me free

I will break this up into several parts because it is long.

it is in the format of read the verse and answer the questions

Open Bible Study Lesson no. 1....

II Peter 1:3

Yes-No   Has God given us everything we need for life and goodness?

Yes-No   Since "All" has been provided, do you need additional information other than the Bible?

Ephesians 2:15; Colossians 2:14

Yes-No   Has God abolished the law with its rommandments and regulations?

Yes-No   Were the hand written ordinances (Ten Commandments) taken out of the way the time Jesus dies on the cross?

Hebrews 8:6-7

Yes-No   Does God contrast the two covenants: the law of Moses and the New Testament of Christ?

Yes-No   if nothing had been wrong with the law of Moses, would God have replaced it with the law of Christ?

that is the first volley, the next will be soon

NathanStinson

next volley....

Romans 7:6-7

Yes-No   Are you delivered (discharged/released) from the law?

Yes-No    Since you are released from the law of Moses (including the Ten Commandments), should you serve tha law?

II Timothy 3:16-17

Yes-No   Since the scriptures make known the will of God to thoroughly equip (furnish) you for every good work, do you need other revelations to make you complete spiritually?

Yes-No   Is it your understanding that the New Testament is the law now spiritually binding?

John 12:48

Yes-No   will the words of Jesus judge you in the last day, rather than the words or commandments of Moses or others?

John 10:10

Yes-No  Did Jesus come so that you could have a full and abundant life now, as well as in eternity?

John 14:6

Yes-No   Since Jesus said he came to give a full and abundant life, should you go to Jesus' words (teachings) to learn of His way to have that life?

Yes-No   Could the words of these people give you the abundant life: mothers, fathers, neighbors, etc.?

Yes-No   Could the words of these people give you abundant life: Joesph Smith, John Calvin, Martin Luther, Wesley Brothers, John Knox, or the Pope?

Matthew 7:13-14

Yes-No   Will the majority enter Heaven?

Yes-No   is the majority a safe guide for your spiritual life?

Yes-No   do you want to go to Heaven?

Mattyhew 7:21-23

Yes-No   Since Jesus said he came to give a full and abundant life, should you o to Jesus to learn of His way to have that life?

Yes-No   Did Jesus say you could enter heaven by doing the will of men?

Yes-No   Could Jesus say, "Depart from me" even if you are sincere and say,"Lord Lord" and do many good works?

ok, thats the second batch, 3rd batch tomorrow when I get time

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Since "All" has been provided, do you need additional information other than the Bible? "

Ahhh...this is not answered in that scripture. There is nothing in that passage to indicate the "all" that has been given to us is scripture. I agree whole heartedly that it is the primary source we are to run to, but that is not the only thing that can give you a fuller understanding of Christ. I myself learn tons about his love through music. I hear a secualar song and think about it relating it not a a man or a women (love song) but to myself in God. A prime example is Ms. Morisets (sp) song head over heels. There is one line that says something to the effect that I fell in love with you, I couldn't help it, you made me. I feel that way about God and it spoke volumes to me in accordance with the primary scriptures. The bible is our guide on how to live life, but it is the primary source we compare things to, not the only source of understanding.

"Yes-No Is it your understanding that the New Testament is the law now spiritually binding? "

This is a comman misconception. This is talking about OT scripture since the NT had not been "composed" yet. The teachings drawn from the OT and the NT I would say do apply here though since they are God breathed.

"will the words of Jesus judge you in the last day, rather than the words or commandments of Moses or others? "

Not a yes no question???

"Yes-No if nothing had been wrong with the law of Moses, would God have replaced it with the law of Christ?
"

Hmm..there is nothing wrong with the law of moses, its intent is not to save us. Gal chapter 3:19-to about 29 (end of chapter). Paul also tells us that the law was taken captive by sin and sin used it to condemn us. The Law is perfect, good and holy, it is ment to be a guide on how to live, but sin make it a condemner (romans 7).

"Yes-No Since you are released from the law of Moses (including the Ten Commandments), should you serve tha law? "

We should not "serve" the law, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't follow it either. I am saved from sin, but as Paul so quickly proclaims in romans 6:1-2 we should stop sinning, this involves following the law as best we can as it is explained to us through the NT. I am forgiven when I lie, but as a christian I should strive not to lie.

"Could Jesus say, "Depart from me" even if you are sincere and say,"Lord Lord" and do many good works? "

Ahh...problem, in this passage we can see these men were not sincere in their calling to God during their life. I believe this is a call to remember that we are human, and though we can see "good" fruit, that doesn't mean those people are christians. We learn in proverbs that God judges the heart, thus he knows where any why our actions spring.

Upvote 0

NathanStinson

Batch 3.... the last of scriptures in the open bible study no.1

Matthew 28:20

Yes-No   Did Jesus say you could observe part of His will and still please Him?

Yes-No   Is it your understanding that you must do "all the will of God" to please Him?

John 3:16

Yes-No   Is it God's will that you believe in Jesus?

John 8:24

Yes-No   Is it possible to enter heaven if you do not believe in Jesus Christ?

John 14:15; Matthew 22:37-38

Yes-No   Is it God's will that you believe in Christ AND love him?

(You can probably see where this is going by now....)

Yes-No   If you do not obey Christ do you love him?

Romans 6:17

Yes-No   When you obey God can you obey only from an outward expression and not from the heart?

Yes-No   When you obey God, must you obey God's "form of teaching"?

Luke 13:3

Yes-No   In addition to belief AND love, is it God's will that you repent?

Yes-No   Will you receive God's full and abundant life if you do not repent?

Acts 3:19; II Corinthians 7:10

Yes-No   Does repentance mean to stop sinning and turn to God instead of sorrow alone?

Matthew 10:32-33

Yes-No   In addition to belief, love AND repentance, is it God's will that you should confess/acknowledge Christ before men?

Romans 10:9-10

Yes-No   Will you be saced if you do not confess with your mouth before men?

thats the end of this booklet, the series has 3 parts, and I have the second booklet, I will let these be answered before I head any further. Thanks for any assistance!

Upvote 0
Nathan;
Are you wanting us to answer those questions for you? I know there are several here who could but all your questions should be directed to our Father, seek His counsel.
I will give you this, He ask us to follow Him into death, the Law brings death. If we drop our lives, open the Book and begin doing all we can in the OT. we will find we can do nothing without Him. Thats what He wants us to see and He will let you try till you KNOW it is impossible. But in all that you fail in, while trying to DO the Law He makes up for, He will cover you, literally! Your life in Him is totally different than most people and you will be doing things people will scorn you for, they will laugh, humilate, trample you down, just stay in Him and He will stay in you. You will have to try and not listen to people, see Him as your only Teacher, He will not lead you astray. If one loves Him, they will do as He did...follow Him unto death. With Him living through you, you will have life more abundantly.
May He bless and keep you!

Upvote 0

Outspoken

Standing in the Gap
Nov 8, 2002
✟22,188.00
Faith
Christian
"Yes-No Is it God's will that you believe in Jesus?"

Ahh..the age old question..Perfect will versus permissive will...

"Yes-No Is it possible to enter heaven if you do not believe in Jesus Christ?"

Nope, so this leads me to believe the jews somehow in the future at some point will accept Christ, for Isreal will be saved..not sure how its gonna happen though...

"Yes-No If you do not obey Christ do you love him?"

Unfortunatly its not quite that cut and dried in my opinion. My first quesiton would be this....does a tree produce fruit all year round?

As for the rest of the questions, they seem to be pretty straight forward....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.