Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you ever heard of "the Trinity", and do you believe that God is three persons in One essence?
Derail.

Thanks for exemplify why the thread exists.
Frankly, men's teachings, more often than not, lead other men away from the Lord.
Do the stoics write with the Spirit of God?
How much stock should I put in someone outside of God?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟329,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Virtue isn't important with some brands of Christianity; faith takes its place! Ironically. Faith, for some, actually makes it alright to remain as you were before you were saved! And that produces people who're actually rather fearful, and wary of others, especially non-believers- who do good. But the Parable of the Good Samaritan comes to mind here.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Not a derail, Christians for 1800+ years have describe the Godhead using the term Trinity. The whole Trinity concept was directly lifted from Stoicism because it solved the scriptural paradox/conflict how three Beings (Father, Son and Holy Spirit) could be "One" (Deuteronomy 6:4).

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Okay, I'm curious.

That Stoicism may influenced the doctrine, okay. But the phrase, "directly lifted" seems a bit much. For instance, Justin Martyr seems to have been influenced by Middle Platonism, as with the analogy of the sun's rays. So, very early on, Christians are wrestling with the ontological relationship between the Father and Son (God and Jesus). Origen, who all sides of the controversy liked to quote, was Alexandrian and probably influenced by Neo-Platonism (possibly took classes from Ammonius Saccas). Maybe you're referencing Tertullian? Anyway, it seems there were various philosophical influences that aided the formulation of the Trinitarian conception. But, I'm open to a different point of view.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
But the phrase, "directly lifted"
"Directly lifted" is a colloquialism for borrowed or adapted. If you read up on most encyclopedias give Stoicism the credit for adapting the Trinity since it was a literal example of a metaphysical Trinity that was readily available and could easily be used by the early Christians when it came to reconciling the Scriptural paradox, but yes the intellectual foot prints go back far if you want to be picky.

Why did the Apologists adopt Stoic Philosophy of the λόγος?

Three I know not what: The influence of Greek philosophy on the doctrine of Trinity

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Phil W

Apr 15, 2019
Mesa, Az
✟67,340.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What scriptural paradox are you referring to?

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

The second link you posted says one of the things borrowed from Stoicism was the distinction between imminent logos and expressed logos. That is new to me, and I find it helpful. It correlates nicely with the fact that logos can be translated both "word" or "reason."

Imminent logos = Reason
Expressed logos = Word

Do you know how Christian's used that distinction? Was it to explain the difference between the divine Logos pre-Incarnation and the divine Logos incarnated? I don't know.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,995.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

From what I can tell a lot of it came from Philo of Alexandria. Philo had his own Jewish adaptation of the Trinity, and was widely read by the various Church Fathers so much that even was kind of considered a Christian saint by many.

Philo Judaeus: A Precursor to New Testament Theology

Now Greek Philosophy is not a strength of mine but I strive to understand it at some kind of rudimentary level since it has obvious Apologetics uses etc. If I recall Philo's Trinity had some kind 3 fold aspect of 1)A God, Demiurge (yahweh), 2) the Logos of the Divine will at work in creation (the theory of forms), and 3) the Stoic "mind fire" at work in the Universe. The last one especially fits into Christian notions of the work of the Holy Spirit. It is kind of the Aristotlean aspect of God that you see in Eastern Orthodox, Palamite theology (Gregory of Palamas) of "knowing God in his energies but not in his essence". The logos has some correspondence to the Son of God per the creation in Genesis and the opening of John, him being the Alpha and Omega etc. And naturally the Father is the "Fountain head" of the Trinity, the First Cause etc. where the Son and HS eternally proceed or are eternally generated from Him.

Last edited:
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0