• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

No One Has Dominion Over Another's Faith

Discussion in 'Deeper Fellowship' started by Minister Monardo, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Minister Monardo

Minister Monardo Well-Known Member

+2,198
    United States
    Christian
    Celibate
    2 Corinthians 1:
    Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God,
    22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.
    23 Moreover I call God as witness against my soul, that to spare you I came no
    more to Corinth.
    24 Not that we have dominion over your faith, but are fellow workers
    for your joy; for by faith you stand.

A careful study of Paul's teachings reveal that he made every effort to avoid
    laying down commandments for the church. On the contrary, his primary method
    was by example, and the things he taught he refers to as traditions.

2 Thessalonians 2:15 Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions
    which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

Now you may be thinking, didn't Jesus condemn traditions of the elders? In fact,
    the word Paul uses here is exactly the one found in Matthew and Mark.
    This requires a
    careful reading to avoid confusion.
    Mark 7:13 Making the word of God of no effect through your tradition
    which you have handed down. And many such things you do.

Notice the issue is not in establishing traditions for people to follow, but in making
    there enforcement in contradiction to the word of God "making it of no effect".
    After spending 18 months in Corinth, and then another 2 years in Ephesus, Paul
    attempted to primarily teach a walk of faith by example.

1 Corinthians 11:
    Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
    2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the
    traditions just as I delivered them to you.

The central tenets of Paul's teachings:
    Liberty of conscience, in faith, love and purity of heart.

1 Timothy 1:5 Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart,
    from a good conscience, and from sincere faith.

Doing all things for edification, and in an orderly manner, allowing participation
    for all. This clearly would require small home meetings that were common at that
    time. It becomes easy to see the application of 1 Corinthians 14 with that in mind.
    How to carry these instructions over to a large gathering requires faithful leadership,
    adhering to these principles stated.

1 Corinthians 14:
    How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm,
    has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation.
    Let all things be done for edification.
    40 Let all things be done decently and in order.

Paul makes clear that he is not establishing a new law, but a spirit-enlightened,
    common sense approach to guiding Christian behavior.

1 Corinthians 6:12 All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful.
    All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.
    1 Corinthians 10:
    All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful;
    all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify.
    24 Let no one seek his own, but each one the other’s well-being.

As most are aware, Paul dedicates the entire chapter 13
    of 1 Corinthians to this "bottom line".

1 Corinthians 16:14 Let all that you do be done with love.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?